Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chiming in to third that Bruxie love, esp that prosciutto thing with the mustard seeds and gruyere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Still kinda pissed I never made it back to Montreal before I left New England. I really wanted to do Au Pied and the Unibroue restaurant (hands down my favorite North American brewery). I love that town.

Have fun, H.A.!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Hawkgirl posted:

:psyduck: You live around here too? I thought you lived in wherever after the EmeraldCity thread.
I live in Vegas but I go to SoCal pretty frequently to drink things.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hawkgirl posted:

:psyduck: You live around here too? I thought you lived in wherever after the EmeraldCity thread. (As a true Californian, I can't remember if it was Idaho or Iowa.) Bruxie is so awesome.

I have noted Bruery Provisions and in return I offer you Portola Coffee Lab: http://www.portolacoffeelab.com/

Seconding The Bruery.

The only time I've had poutine that wasn't made by me was at Pommes Frites in the Village. I don't know where this lies wrt THEONETRUE poutine, but I enjoyed it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
bartolimu: I'm going to Vegas for the first time for Thanksgiving. (getting there Weds night, leaving Sunday night) Do you have any recommendations for shows/things to do/restaurants? I already have Lotus of Siam on my 'Must do list', but I'd love some tips while I put together an itinerary.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

therattle posted:

PS CC, I'm sure I've said this before, but as a honey-lover I really like your avatar.
Thank you kindly. :tipshat:

My parents had honeybees at our last home and it was super cool to get fresh honey each season. I still have a quart or so of that stuff kicking around. It's crystallized but so what, a few hours in a warm bath and it will be ready for sprucing up pancakes and everything else.

I have had a bee theme going for a while and when I saw that bee barfing in the cartoon I figure it was as good a representation for my posting as anything I'd seen yet.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Oh man oh man you guys, I went to the SF street food festival today on mission and holy tits it was awesome. Did anyone else in the area go?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rurutia posted:

bartolimu: I'm going to Vegas for the first time for Thanksgiving. (getting there Weds night, leaving Sunday night) Do you have any recommendations for shows/things to do/restaurants? I already have Lotus of Siam on my 'Must do list', but I'd love some tips while I put together an itinerary.
Jaleo/É & Bouchon are definitely worth stopping in. That's all I've got for now though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bouchon owns

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Hauki posted:

Jaleo/É & Bouchon are definitely worth stopping in. That's all I've got for now though.

These are both solid recommendations. Bouchon is great anytime but I'm a big fan of doing their breakfast/brunch. It's one of the best values on the Strip, with great variety. If the chef is in the mood to do eggs benedict, get them. He rarely does it and they're a real treat. At Jaleo, get the secreto - Iberico pig skirt steak with who the gently caress cares what it comes with, it's Iberico pig. If they're serving Jose's Tacos they're fun for being one of the most over-the-top things you can fit in your mouth (shaved Iberico ham wrapped around a big spoonful of caviar). If you're in the Cosmopolitan and want something different, Comme Ça is also very good for dinner and Milos offers a multi-course lunch for $20.12 that is one of the best values in town.

Chinatown (west of the Strip, mostly on Spring Mountain) is great, there are very good pho spots (I favor Little Saigon, but most are at least passable). If you want ramen with a level of horror only Vegas can create, you could try Anime Ramen. Alternately, you could go 100 yards farther west and eat at the best drat ramen house in the city, Monta. For a hypertraditional, amazing Japanese dinner Raku is two doors down from Monta and gets rave reviews. There's also Sen of Japan farther afield. The chef there opened Nobu Las Vegas. His food is every bit as good and half the price, with the added benefit of not having to put up with the horrible Jersey Shore reject clientele that inhabits the Hard Rock ruining your dinner by drunkenly screaming at the server about how "That was the sickest sushi I've ever had in my life, bro."

If you want the most authentic Mexico City style tacos in the US, go to Tacos El Gordo. They apparently have three locations in Vegas now, including a Strip one if Google is to be believed. I recommend the original on Charleston. It's the only one I can verify is staffed by awesome cooks who know what the gently caress they're doing. The adobada dude is some kind of minor food diety, I think.

If you're in town on a Saturday (and really, who isn't?) consider checking out Saturday Night Truck Stop. Food trucks let two Strip chefs use their stuff in a Throwdown-style competition. It's good fun, close to the Strip, goes from 8pm into the wee hours, and you'll get fed. Best experienced during not summer since it's outdoors.

I should really get around to making a Vegas food thread at some point. Is there anything in particular you're looking for? I can make recommendations til my fingers go numb if not given something to focus on.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

An observer posted:

Oh man oh man you guys, I went to the SF street food festival today on mission and holy tits it was awesome. Did anyone else in the area go?

I could not I had to move today :(

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Aww. To be fair, this is the first food festival I've ever been to, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I did spend a lot of money for all those small things in the end, too.

I had my first taco :kimchi:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

An observer posted:

Aww. To be fair, this is the first food festival I've ever been to, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I did spend a lot of money for all those small things in the end, too.

congratulations you are no longer a broken human American.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

An observer posted:

How does this even happen? Especially in California.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

An observer posted:

Replicant spotted.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
I'm corning a beef! I am excited, even though I couldn't find any pink salt. Next time I'll just get it online.

Also I'm just gonna leave this thing here http://youtu.be/80ZrUI7RNfI

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Lyssavirus posted:

Also I'm just gonna leave this thing here http://youtu.be/80ZrUI7RNfI

:3: I teared up a bit watching this. She was a unique talent in the world of cooking. So encouraging. Thanks TV Cooking Mom.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Hauki posted:

bartolimu posted:

These are both solid recommendations. Bouchon is great anytime but I'm a big fan of doing their breakfast/brunch. It's one of the best values on the Strip, with great variety. If the chef is in the mood to do eggs benedict, get them. He rarely does it and they're a real treat. At Jaleo, get the secreto - Iberico pig skirt steak with who the gently caress cares what it comes with, it's Iberico pig. If they're serving Jose's Tacos they're fun for being one of the most over-the-top things you can fit in your mouth (shaved Iberico ham wrapped around a big spoonful of caviar). If you're in the Cosmopolitan and want something different, Comme Ça is also very good for dinner and Milos offers a multi-course lunch for $20.12 that is one of the best values in town.

Chinatown (west of the Strip, mostly on Spring Mountain) is great, there are very good pho spots (I favor Little Saigon, but most are at least passable). If you want ramen with a level of horror only Vegas can create, you could try Anime Ramen. Alternately, you could go 100 yards farther west and eat at the best drat ramen house in the city, Monta. For a hypertraditional, amazing Japanese dinner Raku is two doors down from Monta and gets rave reviews. There's also Sen of Japan farther afield. The chef there opened Nobu Las Vegas. His food is every bit as good and half the price, with the added benefit of not having to put up with the horrible Jersey Shore reject clientele that inhabits the Hard Rock ruining your dinner by drunkenly screaming at the server about how "That was the sickest sushi I've ever had in my life, bro."

If you want the most authentic Mexico City style tacos in the US, go to Tacos El Gordo. They apparently have three locations in Vegas now, including a Strip one if Google is to be believed. I recommend the original on Charleston. It's the only one I can verify is staffed by awesome cooks who know what the gently caress they're doing. The adobada dude is some kind of minor food diety, I think.

If you're in town on a Saturday (and really, who isn't?) consider checking out Saturday Night Truck Stop. Food trucks let two Strip chefs use their stuff in a Throwdown-style competition. It's good fun, close to the Strip, goes from 8pm into the wee hours, and you'll get fed. Best experienced during not summer since it's outdoors.

I should really get around to making a Vegas food thread at some point. Is there anything in particular you're looking for? I can make recommendations til my fingers go numb if not given something to focus on.

Yess, that's already quite a bit for me to check out. I wasn't specific because we love checking out new places and different things. If anything, I am just looking for things we would be hard pressed to find outside of Vegas or Vegas just does particular well. We live in Seattle (and I grew up in Toronto), if that gives you any idea of our reference point. My boyfriend isn't really into interesting preparations and technique like I am, so a good balance between the two is something that I am mindful of, but that's more for my itinerary planning.

Of the suggestions:

-Milos, Jaleo, Bouchin, and e all look like great solid food.
-First appetizer I saw from Comme Ca's menu was 'Roasted Bone Marrow & Oxtail Jam' so YES
-Nobu in San Diego served me some of the best seafood of my life, so Sen of Japan is something I have to check out.
-I will pass on Anime Ramen, thanks. :stare: I am intrigued by a ramen house because I have yet to find a good one in both TO and Seattle, so might try out Monta.
-Saturday Night Truck Shop is kind of exactly what I was looking for without knowing it. drat that's amazing!

I only have 7 food slots and I'm already wondering how I'm going to wittle down what I want. This is the best feeling. :3:

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Oh relax. I've lived in boston the last 12 years and we don't really have good... anything. Except maybe cheap sea critters.

And before that I lived in a 99.9999% white country that is xenophobic is gently caress.

An observer fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 19, 2012

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

An observer posted:

Oh relax. I've lived in boston the last 12 years and we don't really have good... Anything.
A.) Pizzeria Regina original location, one of my favorite spots to be anywhere

Also there's this cool-rear end Mexican take-out lady who makes her stuff in a gas station. I thought it would be trendy and lame but she made the burrito and then, while it was full and stuffed, toasted it on a griddle for like five minutes so that it's crispy on all sides. Totally awesome - you never see that because it takes so long.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/villa-mexico-boston

Also, of course, the irreplaceable Sunset Grill and Tap...

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 19, 2012

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Never hoid of her. But anyway I've moved now and I'm not going back so yaaaay. I love it in CA.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Boston has Anna's, you can argue about authenticity compared to stuff in SoCal but it's well above the "worth trying out once" bar.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Rurutia posted:

I only have 7 food slots and I'm already wondering how I'm going to wittle down what I want. This is the best feeling. :3:

Do Lotus for dinner one night. They have a lunch buffet, but that's not what they're known for and not nearly as good as their dinner service. Lotus is also where you should do wine if you want a wine night, because their prices are generally 50-60% of Strip with some things even more amazingly cheap.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Chemmy posted:

Boston has Anna's, you can argue about authenticity compared to stuff in SoCal but it's well above the "worth trying out once" bar.

I used to live across the street from El Pélon and my friends from San Diego said it was the most legit Tijuanan style Mexican they'd had on the East Coast. Boston has plenty of good food, it's just not high stylin'.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

An observer posted:

Never hoid of her. But anyway I've moved now and I'm not going back so yaaaay. I love it in CA.

Do you live in SF? We should get tacos.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Beer + ginger beer is really really delicious. Especially in the heat.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

therattle posted:

Beer + ginger beer is really really delicious. Especially in the heat.

Shiner Ruby Redbird is my favorite summer beer. Grapefruit and ginger, so refreshing!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
When it's hot out, I bring out the Tanqueray gin, and the bottle of tonic water. Sometimes, I even show the bottle of tonic to my glass of gin. It's a tasty treat.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Do you live in SF? We should get tacos.

I live in Berkeley, but the city's only 30 min away on the bart, and I come in a few times a month anyway. We totally should! :respek:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

When it's hot out, I bring out the Tanqueray gin, and the bottle of tonic water. Sometimes, I even show the bottle of tonic to my glass of gin. It's a tasty treat.

:siren: poster who knows where it's at spotted :siren:

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I just make my own tonic. :smug:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

mindphlux posted:

:siren: poster who knows where it's at spotted :siren:

Fuckin' A. Not going to say the yoke placed around India's neck is worth a cocktail, but the gin and tonic is a dent in the debt owed for it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Semisponge posted:

I just make my own tonic. :smug:

Can you elaborate? I'm interested.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

Can you elaborate? I'm interested.

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

I've done it - I still like schweppes better. It's like making your own "coke" - yeah, I mean the stuff you make yourself tastes pretty good, and yeah it's a 'cola', but it's not coke. This is how I feel about tanqueray and schweppes. tall. with a spritz of lime. and plenty of ice.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's better with Gordon's.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's better with Gordon's.

GORDONS? ?? For gently caress's sake. I have started entering descent, funny recipes and i get flammed / insulted in every thread i post no matter what recipes or funniness i post in whatever thread and its beginning to piss me the gently caress off. Now listen here i wouldn't mind if you gently caress holes constantly flamed me as long as i was being gay or being hostile, but there is no loving reason to flame me when i am entering decent recipes, its just a loving bandwagon. Whats hilarious is that you faggots think you are actually getting on my nerves / upsetting my by insaulting me; I'll tell you, that in school every loving day i was called "asian biaotch" by blacks (I went to school in a black community in cali), I was teased by everyone of all races but mainly blacks, every day, for playing magic the gathering/ warhammer etc. So If i can handle being bullied by large blacks (who im actually cool with now, i matured into a good looking guy who gets girls, and has a girlfriend who lets him gently caress whenever i want), then you think i care what some pasty whites on the internet think of me. Heres a clue if you cant get it into thine thick skull: THE ANSWER CONTAINS THE LETTERS O and N AND NOT IN THAT ORDER, REARANGE THEM TO GET THE ANSWER. Now let me ask you this. What if wiggles had my entire posting career? she would still be revered and popular, because she is a girl. this shows how desperate GWS is, and its ironic that you call GBS nerds/virgins ETC when you circlejerk around girls like poseur and Wiggles, who in my opinion is a vappid, stupid oval office who enters no recipes whatsoever. IVe spoken with TANQUERAY over ICQ/ Email and they actually says that i am a cool guy, what do you nerds think of that, that MY HERO TANQUERAY likes me? Whats sad is that now you know TANQUERAY likes me, my popularity will probably go up just for that. You think I give a gently caress? I dont care how popular I am in this forum, I am an independantguy, I play by my own rules and i dont give a flying gently caress what society thinks of me. I have my own style of dress and poo poo, and really dont care who likes me and who doesnt. dont like me? thats thine loss not mine.

Now, if i were ever to meet one of you people who flames me in real life, let's just say thine attitude might change a little. Ive studied tae kwon do for 4 years, and studied kung fu as a young child. I am going to take up judo soon, and also casually jeet kune do. I lift weights every day, and have been in a fight before, and won. That's the thing, that behind the internet you can say whatever you like to me, but you know what? Im secure in the fact that i am popular in my circle of friends in real life, and dont need to be accepted in some human being forum to boost my self esteem, i am also confident that i could kick most of thine asses in real life, so what do i care? Another thing. You GWSERS think that you invented "offbeat" humnor like saying random poo poo like "GONG SHOW MUMPS", but its been done before and way loving better. Have you ever seen wobbl and bob? the badger badger mushroom animation? in 30 seconds/2 minutes those 2 flash animations capured a random abstract humor way better than GWS has for years. Even if it were true that GWS was funny, you people have no loving justification in flamming GBS etc for being losers when if you look on most profiles here you will see like-10 000 PPOSTS (-30 POSTS A DAY) posting 30 for hours a fucknig day on an internet forum i mean how pathetic can you get, and you are flaming me?
Heres a little anegdote for you. When I first read this forums, i thought it was hilarious and brilliant. when I saw faggots get mocked for making poo poo posts i laughed and realised i wanted to be a part of this community. Whats more? I found my self attracted to the females who frequent this forum, which is rare since most females on internet forums are ugly. i thought to myself, if i could take any online community and put it IRL for people to hang out, i would choose GWSF. I imagined a high school of GWS where older posters were teachers. hot girls everywhere, funny people making jokes it would have been the best loving school in the world i thought. But gradually, with each needless flame and racist poo poo i saw, i realised how gay you truely are.I thought to myself, maybe i can remedy the gayness by making funny posts, while still not being rude to newbs. not flaming unless i was flamed first. I thought maybe a revolution in posting would occur and that i would be praised. but i have now gone on to be one of the most unpoipular posters in this entire forum?

HOW CAN I PUT THIS??

F
U
B]C
K

YOU

Jesus. Its not that im angry at you, I am above getting angry at people on the internet, I just feel sorry for you if anything. YOu are incapable of showing compassion towards a poster who tries to improve himself. You are incapable or eror acording to thine own elitist, loving human being attitudes. You are high school shitlickers who really just dont understand how life works.You know what? you should be flatterd i even bothered typing one line to you fags so let me just end it siomply in plain english so you FAGGOTS can understand what the gently caress im sayng.

YOU ARE THE BIGGEST loving GROUP OF UTTER. loving. IDIOTIC. poo poo EATING. CIRCLEJERK. FAGGOTS. EVER. TO. WALK. THE. EARTH. NOTHING YOU SAY TO ME CAN HURT ME AT ALL! YOU ARE NOT INTELLIGENT, EDGY OR COOL, YOU ARE JUST A PATHETIC loving PIECES OF poo poo WHO LIKE TO BELLITLE OTHERS OVER THE INTERNET TO FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES. gently caress YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I. AM. DONE. TRYING. TO. ADD. RECIPES. HERE. THE ONLY POSTS I loving MAKE WILL BE TO FLAME YOU FAGGOTS AND TO TELL YOU HOW loving STUPID YOU ARE! THERE IS NO BANISHMENT ANY MORE BECAUSE YOU SHITHEELS HARASSED TANQUERAY, THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO, I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE. [/B]

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I didn't read any of that but if you could repost with the same vitriol in the chicken with cheese thread that would be great.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Halalelujah posted:

I didn't read any of that but if you could repost with the same vitriol in the chicken with cheese thread that would be great.

lol at the racist guy calling that thread racist

I thought about trolling it but effort :(

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Whoa. So much anger in here. Lets hold hands and sing kumbayah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Who originally posted that? I feel like laughing at the expense of others today.