Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

PendingForaBending posted:

Nice job. 2 week turn around on awards is equally as impressive compared to how it works where I'm at.

That all depends on how good your association manager is. I get a nearly immediate turnaround on every award I turn in, but I also only turn them in monthly so he can just knock them all out in big blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Devo posted:

That all depends on how good your association manager is. I get a nearly immediate turnaround on every award I turn in, but I also only turn them in monthly so he can just knock them all out in big blocks.

Plus it's only a 8 team summer league so there's not much else for her to do. :)

Anyone else here bowl in a handicap league? That's what this league is and we are getting absolutely crushed. :(

We bowled a team last night that gave us 35 pins. We managed to win the first game by 3 pins but in the second game they beat us by 250+ pins! They are all a bunch of youngish kids(I'm 33 and the youngest on my team) and their averages are all around 200. Our team is made up of me(1st year league bowling, 174), my dad(198), and his friends jake(174) and john(190). We're either giving up 100+ pins a night or getting no more than 35 and still getting crushed. We seem to be in some kind of no man's land where we should be better than most of the other teams but still loose due to handicap or not good enough against the rest of the teams.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Hell, the ring for my first 300 game took 6 months to get. Didn't help that I bowled it in April in an association that has no sanctioned summer leagues and the association secretary was going through a divorce. Once a new secretary came in it got taken care of. Had to pull some strings though, since USBC is supposed to be notified within a week or so of the honor score.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Bowled a doubles tournament yesterday on Dead Mans Curve. Pretty tough shot especially when it breaks down, but I did alright but never broke through in any squad that I bowled.

Did 5 squads and shot 172-199, 201-220, 160-221, 201-211, 210-197. They adjusted my book average for the shot down to 198 and I shot almost exactly that over 10 games. The first 3 squads were on pretty torched lanes so the pattern was really tough on those. They oiled before the last two so I was a lot more consistent but I felt that I was a few 10 pin leaves away from breaking out in some of those games.

One of my squads was in 9th place when I left which should bring in a little money but there are still 3 more days of bowling to be done for this tournament.

Edit: Well, I did terrible and felt terrible in league last night. I guess 10 games the day before will do that to you and I'm not teenager anymore (I used to do this regularly when I worked at a bowling alley in high school). 182-132-:stonk:-186 on Boardwalk, which a lot of people had a tough time on. 3 of 6 people on the pair have averages above 200 in this league and the high series on the pair was 546, and that guy shot 244 his first game. The last game I just decided that I didn't even want to try for strikes anymore and just left spares that I could make and shot a clean 186. Won 2 of 3 games plus series at least.

PendingForaBending fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 3, 2012

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

mattfl posted:

Plus it's only a 8 team summer league so there's not much else for her to do. :)

Anyone else here bowl in a handicap league? That's what this league is and we are getting absolutely crushed. :(

We bowled a team last night that gave us 35 pins. We managed to win the first game by 3 pins but in the second game they beat us by 250+ pins! They are all a bunch of youngish kids(I'm 33 and the youngest on my team) and their averages are all around 200. Our team is made up of me(1st year league bowling, 174), my dad(198), and his friends jake(174) and john(190). We're either giving up 100+ pins a night or getting no more than 35 and still getting crushed. We seem to be in some kind of no man's land where we should be better than most of the other teams but still loose due to handicap or not good enough against the rest of the teams.

Maybe sandbag more the first few weeks?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
202-189, 127-193

:psyduck:

I couldn't really blame it on anything either, not even the lane-change for the second set. I absolutely could not hit my mark for an entire game.

Pander posted:

Maybe sandbag more the first few weeks?

I really hate that mindset, but it's almost necessary in handicap leagues it seems. Mainly because everyone else is doing it. Last season we had to spot a team 234 pins...

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Shot 634 (235-224-175) on Beaten Path tonight. It was a pretty good shot, had something straight up 10 the whole night, but just caught some bad breaks in the last game. We bowl on it again next week so I think that I can really break out on this pattern.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Toenut and I are first place in our PBA sport league for the first half :woop: :woop:

Now we're going on the Earl Anthony Pattern - can't want to see how that one screws me over.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

2nd to last week and I was finally able to put together my best series.

195/239/238. Had 7 in a row in the 239 game. Seemed they finally fixed their oil machine and we had a consistent line tonight. Apparently the machine has been broken for the past 4 or 5 weeks since we've had a different patten every night. From what the other guys were saying, they do hardly no maintenance on the machine so the oil pattern it's been laying down has been so inconsistent. Normal oil pattern for us is supposed to be Easy Street and tonight it was finally there.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Meh, 205-175, 183-153.

I really need to get a nice, smooth, symmetric ball.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Punching some model of Hellraiser tonight. Trip report after I'm done with practice.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Double post, and a quick one, since I'm tired. My review of the Hellraiser Revenge is Thus:

:stare:

10 boards stronger than my Nano, and it's drilled weaker. Very angular, amazing carry, and I had 3 messengers take out ten pins tonight. Considering I have about 200 revs at 15 mph that's pretty loving impressive. Just astounding power through the pins. About to melt down the rest of my equipment and pledge allegiance to DV8.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
200 revs is impressive. My buddy that I bowl Mondays with has some of there equipment and it looks pretty awesome, so I may have to pick one up if I get some new equipment.

Shot Highway to Hell again last night and was thoroughly humbled yet again. Shot 550 or so the first week, with 2 strong games and 1 lousy one in the middle, and just over 500 last night with 2 abysmal games. Tons of splits because I just couldn't swing my ball out without catching on the part of the lane that all of our lines were on before. Very tough shot, but were done with sport patterns for the summer. I've certainly learned a lot about what needs to be done on these patterns and will have to do a league like this again next summer.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I bowled five games over three lanes at the same time yesterday and my God do my arms hurt. I think it's also because I tried bowling like Jason Belmonte for a couple of frames and holy poo poo my tendon aches. How does he do it?

I did get a belmonte strike though :smug:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Re-learned the importance of following through on my arm-swing and finishing high...

Went 159-124 in the first match. Second match comes along and the ONLY thing I changed was to finish high, and I go 183-227.

:smithicide:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Second tournament in two weeks tomorrow afternoon.

I bowled NEBA last week and got totally wrecked. Shot 961 for 5 games (-39 based on 1000, which is how they score) on a weird shot, which was kind of mediocre for me. Thought I did ok until the announced the cut for my squad which was loving +199. I knew I wasn't going to make it but I didn't think I got my rear end beat that hard.

All around cut for the day was +116 and I got to bowl with a guy who cashed in the US Open so I can't bitch too much.

Tomorrow is handicap on Dead Man's Curve (I think) so I hope I can make a little money and grab one more ball to round out my arsenal and then be done for a while.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Starting winter league here next week and I think I found my spare ball!

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/DV8/10436/Zombie-Spare.html#!prettyPhoto

They had it in the pro shop for $120 and I've found it online as cheap as $85.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Started last night with the family ; 504 was OK . Didn't touch a ball for three months.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Well the house I usually do my fall league in has decided to completely make the move to a Bowl-N-Lounge and has decided to NOT have leagues this year.

I expect them to close within a year.

Also, I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a good symmetric-core ball. I want some more consistency of motion, but I still want the length and a bit of the skid-snap motion I have with my Mutant Cell Pearl. Any recommendations? I'm guessing a pearlized and polished ball is what I need..

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 20, 2012

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
The Storm Crossroad and Frantic seem to be in the realm of what you are looking for. Leave it to me to direct you towards storm at every opportunity. Also, I just notice that the Hy-Road is still being manufactured. Almost 4 years, that's pretty impressive.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Scarf posted:

Well the house I usually do my fall league in has decided to completely make the move to a Bowl-N-Lounge and has decided to NOT have leagues this year.

I expect them to close within a year.

Unless you live in Las Vegas or the owner is independently wealthy this is a guarantee. You have another house nearby to bowl in?

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
League starts tomorrow night and I'm pretty excited. I usually win a lot of money in the first couple of weeks because I'm the only one on the team who practices during the summer.

The only part that sucks is that I work 2 - 11 tonight, then because my workplace is managed by dicks, I work 8 - 5 tomorrow, at which point I immediately catch a bus to go to the bowling centre.

That being said, some of my best games have been bowled while I was fairly tired, so maybe this will all work out. (Not too tired, though. The last time I bowled while I was exhausted during league was like two years ago and I'm fairly sure I bowled a sub-400 series. Yikes.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

buffto posted:

The Storm Crossroad and Frantic seem to be in the realm of what you are looking for. Leave it to me to direct you towards storm at every opportunity. Also, I just notice that the Hy-Road is still being manufactured. Almost 4 years, that's pretty impressive.

Haha, well there IS a reason for that. They're quality for sure. I like storm products, I usually lean more towards Roto, but they're basically the same.

I haven't looked at the Crossroad yet, but the Victory Road is still on my radar unless they've improved upon it with the Cross.

Devo posted:

Unless you live in Las Vegas or the owner is independently wealthy this is a guarantee. You have another house nearby to bowl in?

Haha nope, Charleston SC. Not exactly a bowling Mecca. The owner(s) are just some random investors who thought they could turn around a bowling alley without knowing anything about the sport. They've completely changed the feel of that house into more of a "lounge," with couches, waitresses, etc. And to be honest, it's kind of nice. Doesn't really suit league-play, but didn't really hinder it either.

But they never upgraded the lane equipment, and it was ALWAYS acting up in some way. We went through 75% of last season without a properly functioning lane-oiler, and had no idea until they told us so, and then proceeded to put down the driest possible pattern (and even then, inconsistently because they didn't fix the machine properly).

Now they feel like leagues are keeping them from bringing in big crowds in the middle of the week :jerkbag: Anyway, gently caress that place, I really don't care if they go under. I only bowled there because it was closer to my house.

But yes, I do have another house (or 2) to bowl in this fall. I'm a member of a social club similar to like a VFW or Elk's Lodge that has a 12-lane alley. My brother and I typically do the Summer-league there, but since that other piece of poo poo is closing, we're just going to do the fall league at the club. And we're both perfectly fine with that. The equipment/staff knows how to maintain lanes, the dues are cheaper, the beer is MUCH cheaper, etc.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.

Scarf posted:

Now they feel like leagues are keeping them from bringing in big crowds in the middle of the week :jerkbag:

Yeah, because you know what is better than 34 weeks of dedicated bowlers? People who decide to go on a random Wednesday night on a whim. It'll probably cost about 10 bucks a game for open play pretty soon.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Scarf posted:

Now they feel like leagues are keeping them from bringing in big crowds in the middle of the week :jerkbag:

As someone that runs a bowling alley, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only night we ever got a better crowd by letting the leagues die off was Friday. If we didn't have leagues on Monday through Wednesday we may as well close the joint down those days.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Devo posted:

As someone that runs a bowling alley, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only night we ever got a better crowd by letting the leagues die off was Friday. If we didn't have leagues on Monday through Wednesday we may as well close the joint down those days.

Well, when they first did the (aesthetic) renovations, yeah, more people came in during the week because they wanted to check it out. And even with somewhat sizable crowds coming in on league night (ours was Wednesday, but they had Tues-Thurs leagues) for a few weeks in a row, the house was NEVER full on league night. So I really just don't see what got in their head to convince them this would be a good idea.

OH! But they're also expanding the "arcade" area! Because yeah, kids still go to arcades! :suicide:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finished up the Summer league tonight. Went into it 9 points behind the lead.

I went 191-246, 216-226. Perfect night, me and my brother won all the points, and finished 2 points ahead to take the championship :mmmhmm:

Back-to-back champs Fall/Spring league and Summer league... Feels good man.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 23, 2012

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
[quote="Scarf" post="406800518"]
Finished up the Summer league tonight. Went into it 9 points behind the lead.

I went 191-246, 216-226. Perfect night, me and my brother won all the points, and finished 2 points ahead to take the championship :mmmhmm:

Back-to-back champs Fall/Spring league and Summer league... Feels good man.

Great stuff .. starting my men's league tonight

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Started the fall/spring league at the house where I do the summer league. Decent crowd, 8 teams of 4. I somewhat screwed myself in establishing my handicap: 212 - 147(wtf) - 226. At least for one week I'll be able to claim an average in the 190s :)

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
First night of my Tuesday night league started out well. 214-184-246. We managed to win 25/30 points which is always a nice way to start off the year. Looking forward to this league because the level of competition should be up a bit from last year while not being too uptight about stuff (that league starts at the other end of the house next week).

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My Wednesday league starts tonight. Not looking forward to the paperwork at all.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

We had our US Open pattern for sweeper last night. It's not that terrible of a pattern but drat it breaks down quick. toenut and I won 3rd place and totaled out at $113 each.

I probably wouldn't do it again though. It was fun but I just wanted to try it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Well I survived last night. Had one team not show up so I need to call their captain today and figure out what the gently caress is up with that. If they don't bowl that brings us down to 17 teams and odd numbers make me angry.

First game went about as well as expected, 163 while I missed every spare and ran around trying to collect paperwork and money. Surprisingly I bounced back though. Got all my secretary work done towards the beginning of the second game and finished out with a 218 and a 233. Considering I'm usually lucky to break 500 on the first night I'll definitely take a low 600.

My team scores were hilarious. We were so evenly matched with the other team all night that it could have gone in any direction. We only took 5 out of 15 individual points but won all 3 team games and series anyway.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Devo posted:

Well I survived last night. Had one team not show up so I need to call their captain today and figure out what the gently caress is up with that. If they don't bowl that brings us down to 17 teams and odd numbers make me angry.

First game went about as well as expected, 163 while I missed every spare and ran around trying to collect paperwork and money. Surprisingly I bounced back though. Got all my secretary work done towards the beginning of the second game and finished out with a 218 and a 233. Considering I'm usually lucky to break 500 on the first night I'll definitely take a low 600.

My team scores were hilarious. We were so evenly matched with the other team all night that it could have gone in any direction. We only took 5 out of 15 individual points but won all 3 team games and series anyway.

Haha man, that's nuts.

I don't think our secretary even bowled the first night. Pretty sure he either pre or post-bowled because he knew the paperwork would be a poo poo-show.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

http://chambana.craigslist.org/tfr/3239616671.html

Just gonna leave this here. It's me, I'm in the "bad-rear end bowling league"

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Devo posted:

http://chambana.craigslist.org/tfr/3239616671.html

Just gonna leave this here. It's me, I'm in the "bad-rear end bowling league"

I would watch this show religiously.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Scarf posted:

I would watch this show religiously.

If they did this in the Northeast my house would have a league for them.

Sponsored by Coke, $125,000 in prize money over the course of the season, with like 32 teams I think, so 128 guys. And it's loving impossible to get into unless you get lucky and you get invited. I got bumped out last minute this year and will be subbing. The politics and rage the league incites is loving insane, arguments happen every week and there have been brawls in the parking lot. People are serious about their bowling.

Anyway, we ended up winning our Tuesday Sport summer league and got $600 a guy. Which is pretty loving good for a summer league. We were down by 4 points and 60 pins going into the last game and I made up the deficit by myself by shooting 240. :smug: All of that money gets pumped into my winter league which starts this coming Tuesday and possible punching a DV8 Marauder in a couple weeks.

Firestarter
Nov 3, 2002

Cliff Yablonski hates me!
Oh hey, a bowling thread.

My house shot league starts up Thursday, and my Sport league starts up next Monday. Our THS is Kegel Main Street (41 ft). The Sport league rotates three patterns, we're starting on "a 39 foot pattern" which I'm assuming is Winding Road but will re-evaluate once I see it. Both are being run on a Kegel machine with the drop-brush feature, can't quite recall the model name. I'm entering with a 216 THS book average and 194 book Sport average from last year. I'm coming off a 219 average on the THS in an unsanctioned summer doubles league where we finished 3rd and split $1000.

I'm coming in with a specifically built team for the THS, so I'm hoping to get a scoring bump from having a team that is looking to actively break the pattern down correctly. High average last year was 222 and my 216 was second so it would be nice to take a run at top average and shoot some more honour scores this year. I haven't really been on a "try-hard" team in an adult league so we'll see how it goes and how the other bowlers react.

The Sport league is switching formats slightly; we're sticking with 4-game blocks but we're bowling the same opponent all four games on the same pair since the league is smaller. This will probably raise scores slightly. I've been top-10 competitive the last couple years so hopefully I can continue to improve in that regard. The field is pretty tough; we have quite a few current and former Team Canada guys and a couple senior bowlers who have seen success in Regionals/Pro Tour across the border who bowl the league full time.

If I were to list goals this year... I'm not sure. I'm working on adding multiple repeatable releases to create different ball rolls. I tend to have late timing due to a late pushaway which causes me to spin the ball slightly as it gets there late and I have to help it, so I'm working also on stable footwork leading to a stable, repeatable leverage position at the line. Mentally I need to work on creating confidence in myself and my game. I should also be looking to bowl tournaments... we'll see.

Guess we'll see how it goes. Looking forward to it. Hopefully we can keep this thread alive through till May!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Firestarter posted:

Hopefully we can keep this thread alive through till May!

That shouldn't be a problem. I'm usually here bitching about oil patterns on a frequent basis :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Let's talk about balls!

Currently I have 2 very similar balls.

Ebonite Evolve and a Storm Frantic.

Last night I probably had one of my worst nights bowling. I must have tried 5 or 6 different lane positions with each ball but I could not find a line. I was ready to throw balls in the woods after we were done, they probably would've missed the trees though.

So this is a good excuse for a new ball right?

I want something different than those 2, they both have the same coverstock and both about the same hook. I was thinking about something like the DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge or something with that type of coverstock. What do you guys think? Just to have something different when neither of my current balls will do what I want them to.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 5, 2012

• Locked thread