Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I remember driving on the high way and seeing one of a dudes big 18 wheeler just blowing up and shooting across the road, sounded like a shotgun blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Willfrey posted:

These runaway diesel videos are amazing. Would you hang onto this thing as long as the bearded dude did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM (fires up about 1:10 in)

Why wasn't he trying to choke it off! drat it, quit killing diesels!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

My sister needs to stop driving. :wtf:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

BlackMK4 posted:

My sister needs to stop driving. :wtf:
What happened there?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Continued to drive on a flat until it literally came apart, then continued driving. "I didn't know there was anything wrong."

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
A brief check of this thread confirms that she also recently destroyed a clutch and flywheel. Some people just ain't meant for driving, your sister appears to be one of them. Get her a bus-pass and a can of mace, she'll probably be safer in the long run.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

What the gently caress :stare:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

BlackMK4 posted:

I've put 35k miles on a white M Sport. God, this car. The stock suspension has issues though. In higher speed corners it weaves around and if you catch a pavement divider wrong, let alone a real bump, it's downright loving scary.

50k on this clutch/fw. My sister shouldn't have a manual.

quoting the clutch/fly wheel sister wreckage post for double the :stare:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:v: yeah.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 21, 2012

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Nathan Explosion posted:

On the topic of shredded tires, I've been seeing a shitload of retreads on the shoulder and often in the middle of the goddamn road. One of them is responsible for violently bifurcating my air dam. Is this just a local PA phenomenon or are dangerously lovely re manufactured tires becoming more common?

I've seen a WYDOT truck cruising down the shoulder and stopping occasionally to pick up what they call road gators (the ends where the tread separates makes them look kinda like flat, legless alligators)

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

BlackMK4 posted:

There is more. I should write an article on this car. Bahahaha.

Don't hold out on us man!

My turn! "The rear speakers buzz at loud volumes."

Ok, let's take a look:

The speaker just...fell out

:stare:

6" speaker =/= 6 x 9" speaker

The single zip tie is also a new one for me

I wish this was the exception rather than the norm

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

BlackMK4 posted:

Continued to drive on a flat until it literally came apart, then continued driving. "I didn't know there was anything wrong."

There was a lady driving down the road with a flat tire, the way she was driving and the speed suggested she had no idea the tire was flat. I pull up next to her and point to her tire and wave and she flips me off and mouths gently caress you to me.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
I've had that exact same experience. Maybe they were sick of people reminding them :haw:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
'89 Ram Van. Symptoms were no headlights or dash lights. Because I couldn't loving see anything, I had to yank a ton of the dash off to even see the harnesses to track down where the power was. Fuses 6 and 7 werent getting power, and the wiring diagram said that a large red/white wire connected the light switch, the fuses, and went off the map to mysterious 'grey fusible link' with no hints on where it could be. Figuring it was probably that link, I went in.

Hey Red/white! Where do you go?

Where the gently caress do you go :catstare:

You go through the firewall don't you :(

Oh, hey Red/white.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
One more runaway:

http://youtu.be/3NRaqgab0_w?t=1m20s

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

The best uploader comment.

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts
YAY. The thread is back!

In celebration:

From a car that I used to work with.....

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I wonder if this was a mechanical failure, a failure by design to save people in the cabin in the event of a total frontal smashing, or if it's just something that happened by chance from from speeding, losing control, launching with a hard landing, continuing across school grounds before ending up in a sturdy fence.

The driver was in good enough condition to jump out and beat a random passer-by so bad he had to be taken to hospital. loving Sweden.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!
Freeeedom!!!

But why did he assault a random person? 'Roid rage? Reefer madness? Or just channeling his inner Ed Hardy?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

a failure by design to save people in the cabin in the event of a total frontal smashing

Pretty sure it's this - a large part of dispersing the energy of an impact is now used to tear the drivetrain out of the car. Hit the mounts hard enough and the engine will usually want to go down and out, unlike older cars where it would just sit on the crossmember.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Well, it had potential to be a horrible mechanical failure. Air filter logo clip (Spectre) that sits across one of the filter ribs got sucked into a 4.0 throttle body. Thankfully it bottomed out on the intake manifold. Barely.

(not mine)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
That's all kinds of terrifying. :stonk:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pretty sure it's this - a large part of dispersing the energy of an impact is now used to tear the drivetrain out of the car. Hit the mounts hard enough and the engine will usually want to go down and out, unlike older cars where it would just sit on the crossmember.

This makes an excellent text-book example of it, thank you.

The driver probably wanted to hear "DUDE THAT WAS SO COOL" from the random passer-by but got shunned.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
So this Cadillac DTS limps into the shop today with a very flat tire and another lovely surprise:

Some people just... :ughh:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is....is that a railroad spike? :stare:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Horrific attempt to remove a stuck lug nut?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I'll bet it's a locking lug nut and they lost the key.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Philip J Fry posted:

Well, it had potential to be a horrible mechanical failure. Air filter logo clip (Spectre) that sits across one of the filter ribs got sucked into a 4.0 throttle body. Thankfully it bottomed out on the intake manifold. Barely.

(not mine)

What is this Spectre? I GIS and all I find is this guy...

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

chrisgt posted:

Horrific attempt to remove a stuck lug nut?

Devyl posted:

I'll bet it's a locking lug nut and they lost the key.

It was actually the stud that the mutilated lug nut was threaded onto that was loose in the hub itself. He had a "friend" try to get it off before bringing it to us. To get it off I cut into it with an angle grinder and then split it with an air-chisel.

I had to replace the hub and bearing assembly as well as tell the owner that in addition to the damage to the rim caused by the lug nut issue, the rest of the rim was severely bent in several places. I'm not sure if the damage was before or after the tire let go but it probably didn't help that he drove on it for about a mile or so like that.

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

What is this Spectre? I GIS and all I find is this guy...

I'm pretty sure Spectre is just the name of the aftermarket intake and the engine is a Jeep 4.0

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DixielandDelight posted:

I'm pretty sure Spectre is just the name of the aftermarket intake and the engine is a Jeep 4.0

Ah, okay. I see now he said air filter logo clip. I had for some reason read it as air dam logo clip...

bung
Dec 14, 2004

This is a mechanical failure of sorts. My cousin had an accident today and was very lucky that he only came out of it with a few scrapes and a bump on the left side of his face. I'm still not sure what caused the accident.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

bung posted:

This is a mechanical failure of sorts. My cousin had an accident today and was very lucky that he only came out of it with a few scrapes and a bump on the left side of his face. I'm still not sure what caused the accident.

wow thats some Final Destination poo poo there. how close was that pipe to lobotomising him.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jesus, I'd describe that as a mechanical success of everything except for the nut behind the wheel if your cousin walked away from that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Had a fun one yesterday but I was too pissed to take a picture. My Volvo is off the road for a month (paperwork) so my wife & I are sharing a car, which neither of us likes. Anyway I go to drive the car to work yesterday & it has a flat, front left. I don't have time to fix it so I call a buddy who picks me up on his way to work. I get back in time to swap the spare on & take it to the shop, but when I drop it to the ground, the brass core of the valve just kind of poops itself out of the spare. It's now too late to get to the shop so I put the flat back on & pump it up (single barrel footpump). It holds air sufficiently so I leave it with my wife to get fixed today.

I hate spacesavers, I hate French cars, I hate whichever idiot decided under the rear of the car, exposed to years of salt spray was a good space to store a critical spare. I hate myself for never checking it.

E: the tyre shop is a mile away on 30mph roads & she put 30psi in before driving it.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cakefool posted:

I hate spacesavers, I hate French cars, I hate whichever idiot decided under the rear of the car, exposed to years of salt spray was a good space to store a critical spare. I hate myself for never checking it.

E: the tyre shop is a mile away on 30mph roads & she put 30psi in before driving it.

My spare is under my truck bed, held in place by a tire carrier that as I know from experience can rust frozen. I replaced the frozen one with a tire carrier from a 96, the last year for my style of Dakota. I try and check my spare once a month, especially going into Winter time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's not that hard to make a watertight plastic shield, for what it's worth. Wrap the tire in it instead of trying to mount it to the body of the vehicle.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
My spare is under the trunk carpet like most cars which reminds me that I should go check it.

On the subject of spare tire placement, was the under the hood spare on the old Subarus a blessing or a curse? It looks so silly, but its definitely convenient if you have a flat. Not so much if you have to get to the engine.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I've never owned one or had to use it, but ive worked on many porsches with what i consider a horrible spare tire setup. First off the car is so low you need the OEM low profile hand crank jack, then the spare itself is deflated and collapsed on itself from the factory for storage. You need the OEM infater can to activate the spare. I'm pretty sure its a one time use thing, since i cant see how the tire would re-fold itself to be stored in its little holding area.

This also means youre probably putting your full sized wheel with the flat in your back seat or something, sinc it cant go where the inflate-a-spare did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You can use a proper low profile jack on any stock height Porsche I've ever worked on.

Yes, the spare is interesting. The dealer can "re fold" them after use. It's probably better than a lot of new cars where the "spare tire" is a can of fix a flat.

As far as where to put the flat, yeah...back seat or passenger seat. The tool kit has what's basically a trash bag in it to put the flat in so it doesn't screw up your hand stitched german leather.