Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Blompkin posted:

I'm just not that impressed with warp. It's good for setting up/setting off team mate's biotic combos, but the 5th and 6th level just don't seem worth 11 character points to me. Or am I missing something?

This assertion is normally correct (except that you shouldnt take the first 4 levels of it, lagos right either max or zero). warp is pretty bad in the current metagame.

Warp - hits 1 target, requires a teammate to detonate, is dodged easily, is often negated by banshees/phantoms, and has a huge cooldown.

BUT:

me from previous thread posted:

Warp damage is buggy as hell and if you use incendiary ammo and high damage shotgun you can get a crazy multiplier on warp's DOT, so I could actually see using a damage -> damage -> pierce upgrade path on turian sentinel instead of one specced for half of a biotic explosion. I guess it would work on other warp classes but TS has the best synergy with heavy weapons.

watch the banshees barrier melt. according to damage formulas 1 warp + 4 claymore should be doing around 1k + 4*3.5k=15k damage but here 1 warp + 4 claymore is taking down a 27k health banshee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Does anyone else feel weird when there's 1 or 2 points left over after you've bought all your powers? I just feel bad for them, sitting there and never getting to help out. :ohdear:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Magic Love Hose posted:

Does anyone else feel weird when there's 1 or 2 points left over after you've bought all your powers? I just feel bad for them, sitting there and never getting to help out. :ohdear:

Yeah, it's just not fair. :( I almost wish they'd extend the cap up to 25, reduce points per level slightly, and have you end up with enough points to max everything out. But the tradeoff situation brings a level of strategy to builds that I think I'd miss more.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Magic Love Hose posted:

This legitimately bothers me enough that I never do 6/6/6/4/4 unless absolutely necessary.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Ravenfood posted:

Power damage upgrades don't affect BEs. And I went speed because it lets me reposition more effectively and get into and out of bad places better. It also makes dancing and keeping enemies at the edge of the field easier, which means more explosions faster. The Fury seems to pretty much rely on constant staggers and drains to stay alive at close range, and faster combos help with that.

Though once I get another respec card I'll try it without speed to see if it really helps kill things faster. At close range, Hunters, Pyros, Phantoms and Marauders both require two BEs and I don't think the 15% will reduce that any. It probably speeds up Banshee/Prime/Atlas killing though.

I'm definitely tempted to grab the speed evolution just to try it out, but 15% extra BE damage, especially when it's blowing up around groups of mobs is so great. I'm a huge fan of Dark Channel, and the N7 damage increases make it that much more lethal. Fire and forget on Phantoms.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Magic Love Hose posted:

I used to get bothered by having wasted points. It stopped bothering me when I stopped thinking about them as wasted and simply as unneeded.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Donald Kimball posted:

I'm definitely tempted to grab the speed evolution just to try it out, but 15% extra BE damage, especially when it's blowing up around groups of mobs is so great. I'm a huge fan of Dark Channel, and the N7 damage increases make it that much more lethal. Fire and forget on Phantoms.

The speed evolution is really great. Since the Fury can also dodge through walls it makes you very mobile. Now if only dodging enemy projectiles worked more often...

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

UnknownMercenary posted:

Now if only dodging enemy projectiles worked more often...
Well Geth rockets can be dodged by forward rolling at an angle. They can turn 180 degrees so side/backwards rolling wont dodge all to often. As for banshee warps, I've no clue.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Donald Kimball posted:

This choice here is such a great choice. Everyone I know has the "but how can I live without it!" idea for their chosen upgrade and how they play and, really, both seem pretty solid. Hopefully after I play around with both I'll see if I change my mind.

If they do end up fixing the confusing between radius and diameter and double the area of effect, though, the answer will obviously shift over to +dmg.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Well Geth rockets can be dodged by forward rolling at an angle. They can turn 180 degrees so side/backwards rolling wont dodge all to often. As for banshee warps, I've no clue.

The easiest way to dodge them and rockets is to wait until the last moment to fool the homing, they'll curve into the ground.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I can very reliably side dodge the Banshee's "Warp" and the Geth rockets on Bronze. Thanks to the slight increase in game speed in Silver, I can only dodge those half the time; in Gold, never.

Alternately, you could go Krogan and smash right through that poo poo like it ain't no thang.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I have to apologize to every single person I've grouped with as a Paladin, a class I now know that I suck badly at and ruin people's days with.

I'll be back to the N7 Fury tomorrow!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Am I the only person that rolls my eyes at the Slayer? I love most of the classes but I just don't like them. In any way. I can slaughter with them just dandy but I get so sick of the constant biotic wall slashing. Either Pheonix I love but the Slayer just irritates.

Also why is it every bloody rifle but the Mattock gets upgrade love? I have a Saber VI and most other things higher but the Mattock? 2. Why 2? Im tempted to buy sodding packs just for a Mattock. Doesnt matter what flavour I buy it is everything but Mattock. Is there a ritual or chant I'm missing? Is this common?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Von_Doom posted:

Am I the only person that rolls my eyes at the Slayer? I love most of the classes but I just don't like them. In any way. I can slaughter with them just dandy but I get so sick of the constant biotic wall slashing. Either Pheonix I love but the Slayer just irritates.
I hate it too, for that exact reason.

Lash (or Yoink!, as I think of it) is at least really fun to play with.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 21, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Von_Doom posted:

Also why is it every bloody rifle but the Mattock gets upgrade love? I have a Saber VI and most other things higher but the Mattock? 2. Why 2? Im tempted to buy sodding packs just for a Mattock. Doesnt matter what flavour I buy it is everything but Mattock. Is there a ritual or chant I'm missing? Is this common?
Random packs are random.
It did take quite a few packs, and a lot of upgrades for lovely weapons, but I have a Mattock X. And it's lovely.
Now if I only got that goddamned Assault Rifle Extended Barrel.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Von_Doom posted:

Mattock is an Uncommon. Buy Veteran Packs. If you have been, then the only thing I can say is the RNG has dicked us all, some more than others. Just keep at it, unless you want to prioritize Gold cards first.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Von_Doom posted:

I got this with the Mattock as well. I had every non-UR item at maximum level for a long, long time, before my Mattock went up.

Don't buy packs if you're after just one gun. You won't get it and it'll end up costing you more money in the long run after you put your controller through the TV. If you want to generally fill out your manifest then go for it, but don't do it if you're gambling for just this one weapon.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Happened with me with the Phaeston. The RNG is a funny thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's common knowledge that the Particle Rifle sucks, right? Can I do anything fun with it?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

exquisite tea posted:

It's common knowledge that the Particle Rifle sucks, right? Can I do anything fun with it?

Particle rifle isn't that bad. It's actually pretty good with a Destroyer. Throw on a piercing mod and magazine upgrade, it puts out some decent damage once it ramps up.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Incendiary/Disruptor ammo works fairly well on it too I believe. Since it has such a high "rate of fire", it procs really often.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Particle rifle isn't that bad. It's actually pretty good with a Destroyer.

Anything is good on a Destroyer, and the Particle Rifle is still worse than pretty much any other AR I could think of. A Phaeston, heck even an Avenger probably performs better than a Particle Rifle with that class (or any other class, really). And that's not even talking the good ARs like Harrier, Saber or Typhoon.

I mean, yes, you can eventually kill poo poo with it (especially if you slap consumables on it), but the point is that you can do so much faster and much more efficiently with pretty much any other AR (especially if you slap consumables on them).

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, the Vindicator could possibly be slightly worse than the Particle Rifle still.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 21, 2012

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Burning Mustache posted:

Anything is good on a Destroyer, and the Particle Rifle is still worse than pretty much any other AR I could think of. A Phaeston, heck even an Avenger probably performs better than a Particle Rifle with that class (or any other class, really). And that's not even talking the good ARs like Harrier, Saber or Typhoon.
I'm not so sure about that, once you've got the beam fully charged it's actually pretty powerful. The main issue is getting it charged in the first place, which the Destroyer's ROF bonuses help with. "Blindfiring" from cover helps to reduce return fire further, while still being pin-point accurate.

Harriers and Typhoons are more powerful and/or less awkward to use of course, but they don't have a cool green laserbeam coming out of them either. :science:

Exodee fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 21, 2012

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Aww man, I got 2 particle rifles yesterday and was just coming to ask if it was any good.

Its an ultra rare but silly me for thinking it would be useful :smith:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Burning Mustache posted:

I mean, yes, you can eventually kill poo poo with it (especially if you slap consumables on it), but the point is that you can do so much faster and much more efficiently with pretty much any other AR (especially if you slap consumables on them).

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, the Vindicator could possibly be slightly worse than the Particle Rifle still.

There are better ARs than the particle rifle but I would take it over a lot of them unless I had another reason (lightweight for caster classes, etc). Suggesting that an avenger is better is absurd. I would rather have a PR on the destroyer than a harrier or a saber, and probably a typhoon post-nerf. It legitimately has good sustained DPS (e: according the wiki, the highest DPS of any AR once it has ramped up) without the need to run to an ammo box basically ever unless you need grenades. It may not be the best at everything but it is certainly competitive. Also, I am pretty sure DOTs from ammo powers, particularly incendiary ammo, stacks, so it's high ROF and proccing will do a ton of damage in the same way the Reegar + incendiary does that normal ARs can't achieve

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Particle Rifle is p. much the same weapon as the typhoon, only way worse pre-rampup and slightly better post-ramp up. The trick is just keeping it in deathray mode, which the N7 soldier is really good at because of his capacity bonuses.

All the capacity upgrades on the N7 soldier + capacity gear + fire ammo make it a really good weapon, stronger than the other assault rifles on optimal class/consumable layouts IMO (excepting tech burst classes with disruptor falcon).

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I don't have it unlocked but I've seen some pubbie players with high level Particle Rifles on Destroyers do very well

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The only good use for a Particle Beam is Mr. Freeze roleplay when used with Cryo Ammo

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Synonamess Botch posted:

...without the need to run to an ammo box basically ever unless you need grenades.

As a side note on this, if the Particle Rifle is your only weapon, DO NOT touch ammo boxes or go near Demolisher pylons. It treats it like you have 0 out of 1 ammo even when fully charged, and results in you stealing (and wasting) thermal clips. Especially on Platinum where ammo is scarce, though why would you use it on Platinum, especially as your only weapon. It's not bad, and is fun to use, but I don't think it's Plat good.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I've seen people use it for farming since you don't run out of ammo with it. I doubt it's ideal but it works.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

I've seen people use it for farming since you don't run out of ammo with it. I doubt it's ideal but it works.

I suppose, but I would think you would at least carry a second gun to, y'know, do more in less time. Especially with pistol ultralight now, so even with the heavy Particle Rifle your cooldowns won't be completely hosed.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I can only see the Particle Rifle working on the Destroyer due to his capacity upgrades and stagger immunity. The thing is pinpoint accurate and has no recoil, so the only downside is limited sustained fire and limited range. Personally I prefer the Typhoon because of its look and sound, but the Particle Rifle is pretty decent now, especially with cryo or incendiary ammo.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Actually, that brings up a question. If you close-to-deplete (not totally deplete since I know that requires a reload animation) the Particle Rifle and then switch to another weapon for a while, when you switch back will it have replenished its stock like normal, or will it be sitting on the ammo count it had when you switched weapons?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Felinoid posted:

Actually, that brings up a question. If you close-to-deplete (not totally deplete since I know that requires a reload animation) the Particle Rifle and then switch to another weapon for a while, when you switch back will it have replenished its stock like normal, or will it be sitting on the ammo count it had when you switched weapons?

It appears to refill at the same rate whether you have it out or not, assuming you don't deplete it

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 21, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Balance Update posted:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 21, 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Locust SMG
- Damage increased from [34.3-42.8] to [37.7-47.1]

Crusader Shotgun
- Damage increased from [486.6-608.3] to [530.9-663.6]

Kishock Sniper Rifle
- Damage multiplier for full charge increased from 150% to 175%

Biotic Charge Power (all kits excluding the Krogan)
- Base damage increased from 250 to 400
- Base force increased from 500 to 600

Biotic Charge Power (Krogan only)
- Base damage increased from 400 to 500
- Evolve 4 melee damage bonus increased from 25% to 40% and duration increased from 4 to 5 seconds

Biotic Charge Power (all kits including the Krogan)
- Rank 3 damage and force bonus increased from 20% to 30%
- Evolve 1 damage and force bonus increased from 30% to 40%
- Evolve 3 weapon damage bonus increased from 15% to 25% and duration increased from 3 to 5 seconds
- Evolve 4 power damage bonus increased from 25% to 40% but duration decreased from 15 to 10 seconds
- Evolve 5 chance to cause no cooldown increased from 25% to 33%

Electric Slash Power
- Base cooldown increased from 5 to 8 seconds

Biotic Slash Power
- Base cooldown increased from 5 to 8 seconds

Sticky Grenade Power
- Base damage increased from 750 to 900

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Lagomorphic posted:

Biotic Charge buff
I'm pretty sure with these numbers you can area stagger Phantoms on Gold with any kit, which is a great buff. Can't wait for all the terrible pubguards to get mad about the Slash nerf because they can't spam their way through FBW anymore.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

I have no complaints about any of these. These are all good balance changes. Maybe Bioware are finally understanding their own game?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Now if only they'd shorten the stupid breakdance kickflip 'charge' animation for the slash moves. I'd probably trade a 1s shorter anim for a 2s cooldown even. But in general I'm not seeing a bad thing here. Also Kishock buff :confuoot:

e: except for making people think stickies are worth using with that buff

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 21, 2012

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

... But the desync bug still remains...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well there goes another monkey wrench into the system of farming now, but whatever. I'm happy about the Locust SMG buff too, I like that SMG.

• Locked thread