Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

the black husserl posted:

I'm glad someone else loves chaz. Lets smoke a blunt at his funeral? See you next year
If Charles Hamilton died, I'd probably go to his funeral. Charles's downfall hurts because he is a hugely creative musician, above and beyond being a hiphop artist. Music is probably the best field for someone with his issues but if Interscope couldn't deal with him, I doubt anyone else can wrangle him.

John Brown posted:

One could argue that Nas's claim of hip hop being dead was with things such as lyrical content and censorship from labels and orgs. I could be wrong but I'm not so sure that his "hip hop is dead" tirade had anything against ghostwriters. EVERYBODY uses them - as you stated.
The whole situation is wild. Dead Prez clarified it some and said Nas brought them in to the project because he respected their talent and it was appropriate for the album concept. He gave them credit professionally but I think he left their lyrical contributions vague to the fans. At some point, someone has to be creative and write the rhymes. Trading lines is to be expected but penning verses or songs seems unethical. Jay Elec and Dead Prez weren't technically ghostwriters because they received credit. But as an artist, Nas looks suspect. I don't even understand why he would do it. Why not have them as features? There are other ways Nas could have used them without raising doubt about his own skills.

Everyone has writers but it doesn't sit right when Nas does it.

Side note:
Rick Ross kind of addresses his CO past again. Read the #3 point. I think Rick Ross is a comic book character and it's entertaining.
Ka (Brooklyn emcee) gets interviewed. I didn't get his record but I should. You should too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgOxm5qK4Wc

South African Chuck Inglish has a pretty cold track here.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

John Brown posted:

One could argue that Nas's claim of hip hop being dead was with things such as lyrical content and censorship from labels and orgs. I could be wrong but I'm not so sure that his "hip hop is dead" tirade had anything against ghostwriters. EVERYBODY uses them - as you stated.

What the gently caress are you even talking about

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

atrus50 posted:

YO BTW I KNOW THIS GETS ASKED EVERY 10 PAGES BUT HOW DO I KILLA CAM

Killa is my favorite rapper, so allow me to :words: the gently caress out of this. As far as releases go, get Diplomatic Immunity 1 and 2, for just Cam albums imo it goes Purple Haze > Come Home with Me > Crime Pays (most slept on) > Killa Season > SDE > Confessions of Fire (You can skip this one unless you wanna hear Cam rap like DMX without things that made DMX awesome).

Boss of all Bosses
(This is PYF as gently caress but I had been thinking about making a list of the good songs on the series so here you go)
Boss of All Bosses 1
2. Pop Off
4. Drama
5. Ric Flair
6. Hustle
7. Get It
8. Can't Say Goodbye
10. Land of the Dealers*
11. Fed Story*
13. Blow My High
16. Professional (This has Cam's best verse on the tape)
20. Lennox Ave (Best song on the CD)
24. Stop

Boss of All Bosses 2
3. Always Made It
4. Point the Finger
5. Nuthin Like
7. Stop It Slime (Best song)
8. They Feelin Us
9. Bezel Up
11. They Holla Ayo
12. Get Away
15. Nothing Personal
18. Lonely
20. Whistle

Boss of All Bosses 2.5
2. Ya Lyin
3. Raise Up
6. I Don't Believe Niggas
8. We Gettin' Money
11. It's Our Party
12. Like Sheeeeiit (The guest verse is awful though)
15. The Council*
18. Brick Breakers

Boss of All Bosses 2.8
3. They Know Who We Are
4. Makeout
6. All Around
8. Fairytales
9. Party Ain't a Party (It's this Jaz chick, but it's good)
10. Key 2 Life*
13. Keep Rising
14. Life is Like a Movie*
15. House of Harlem
16. Star
17. Picture
18. Soulja (Best song, great beat)
19. Warning (Ties for best song, Cam's verse is really good)

Boss of All Bosses 3
Eh...

*These are only Vado but Vado is cool and they're good songs

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBBilw-SDRs

He's got other mixtapes but none of them really stick out in my head, BoAB I jam pretty regularly.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

i agree with all of that except for the horrible placing of SDE which is clearly cams most slept on album after dipset re-wrote his rap history and probably his 3rd best.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

farmtrill posted:

i agree with all of that except for the horrible placing of SDE which is clearly cams most slept on album after dipset re-wrote his rap history and probably his 3rd best.

You're probably right, it came out before I really was listening to Cam and I always kinda slept on it therefore proving your point.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Public Enemy #1 is a really good and oft overlooked Cam tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzs8ttVUQTE

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

GET MONEY posted:

Public Enemy #1 is a really good and oft overlooked Cam tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzs8ttVUQTE

this and also the purple mixtape. theres also a pretty decent freestyles mixtape floating around out there and i think that about covers it for killa

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
New Slaughterhouse :stare:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

TenaciousTomato posted:

New Slaughterhouse :stare:

Is it good? My Life was some of the worst poo poo from a group that sold itself on being "against the grain".

fake edit: I'm listening to Goodbye right now, wtf.
real edit: Youtube comments are hilarious it's always "FINALLY REAL HIP-HOP IS BACK NONE OF THIS CORNY RADIO BULLSHIT"

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Robert Analog posted:

Killa is my favorite rapper, so allow me to :words: the gently caress out of this. As far as releases go, get Diplomatic Immunity 1 and 2, for just Cam albums imo it goes Purple Haze > Come Home with Me > Crime Pays (most slept on) > Killa Season > SDE > Confessions of Fire (You can skip this one unless you wanna hear Cam rap like DMX without things that made DMX awesome).

Boss of all Bosses
(This is PYF as gently caress but I had been thinking about making a list of the good songs on the series so here you go)
Boss of All Bosses 1
2. Pop Off
4. Drama
5. Ric Flair
6. Hustle
7. Get It
8. Can't Say Goodbye
10. Land of the Dealers*
11. Fed Story*
13. Blow My High
16. Professional (This has Cam's best verse on the tape)
20. Lennox Ave (Best song on the CD)
24. Stop

Boss of All Bosses 2
3. Always Made It
4. Point the Finger
5. Nuthin Like
7. Stop It Slime (Best song)
8. They Feelin Us
9. Bezel Up
11. They Holla Ayo
12. Get Away
15. Nothing Personal
18. Lonely
20. Whistle

Boss of All Bosses 2.5
2. Ya Lyin
3. Raise Up
6. I Don't Believe Niggas
8. We Gettin' Money
11. It's Our Party
12. Like Sheeeeiit (The guest verse is awful though)
15. The Council*
18. Brick Breakers

Boss of All Bosses 2.8
3. They Know Who We Are
4. Makeout
6. All Around
8. Fairytales
9. Party Ain't a Party (It's this Jaz chick, but it's good)
10. Key 2 Life*
13. Keep Rising
14. Life is Like a Movie*
15. House of Harlem
16. Star
17. Picture
18. Soulja (Best song, great beat)
19. Warning (Ties for best song, Cam's verse is really good)

Boss of All Bosses 3
Eh...

*These are only Vado but Vado is cool and they're good songs

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBBilw-SDRs

He's got other mixtapes but none of them really stick out in my head, BoAB I jam pretty regularly.

Good post. Still listen to Dip Immunity 1 and 2 occasionally. Also theres this, which broke my brain because the beat makes no sense at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajXYrsGxrhU

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

John Brown posted:

funny how being dead doesn't entail ghostwriting.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Robert Analog posted:

Youtube comments are hilarious it's always "FINALLY REAL HIP-HOP IS BACK NONE OF THIS CORNY RADIO BULLSHIT"
http://twitter.com/noz/status/222050595463364608

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Really feelin' this Chief Keef track, Tatted Like Amigos, loving some of the tats that show up in the video.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about

cardedagain posted:

funny how being dead doesn't entail ghostwriting.

Jesus how the gently caress do you not understand? Those were some pretty simple statements. I'm talking about the things that Nas was upset with during his "Hip Hop is Dead" phase i.e. lyrical content and censorship. He clearly states so in some of his lyrics on songs like "Hip Hop is Dead", "Hero", "Carry On Tradition" and more. However, I never heard him mention ghostwriting as a problem...perhaps because it happens so much. Who knows?

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

John Brown posted:

Jesus how the gently caress do you not understand? Those were some pretty simple statements. I'm talking about the things that Nas was upset with during his "Hip Hop is Dead" phase i.e. lyrical content and censorship. He clearly states so in some of his lyrics on songs like "Hip Hop is Dead", "Hero", "Carry On Tradition" and more. However, I never heard him mention ghostwriting as a problem...perhaps because it happens so much. Who knows?

i was merely writing a pun.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
big pun is a goon

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I endorse that Cam post. Very fine opinions on his work you got there. Speaking of ghostwriters, do you think JR Writer wrote for Cam or vice versa? It's hard to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYb-B1j4ul8

dips are fire, get your flier- posters, yall jokesters like Richard Pryor

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

I endorse that Cam post. Very fine opinions on his work you got there. Speaking of ghostwriters, do you think JR Writer wrote for Cam or vice versa? It's hard to tell.

wouldn't be surprised if Cam ghostwrites for Vado, that's for sure.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
dj khaled album is on itunes in 15 minutes

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Busta Rhymes free album is out now

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

What ever happened to Juelz? I remember he had a HUGE buzz a few years back...

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
New Slaughterhouse ft. Eminem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaLOcQBbzb4
It kinda sucks if you're on the fence about clicking that link.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
wow that's really bad

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q4bYvgyLb0

Gunplay is loving crazy (or good at acting like it) and is still the most interesting thing out of MMG.
The song starts at 1:50 if you don't want to see all of his antics.
Fair amount of drug use in the video if you are somewhere that might get you in trouble.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Just saw that video on someone else's blog. Gunplay is different at least. I think he'll self destruct though. Betting gun charge + assault. Any takers?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gunplay loving rules, dude's nice. And his videos are wild. Wish MMG would give him a bigger presence cause he got a lot of the Waka energy going on, with a more lyrical rhyming and more of a sense of humor.

Also don't know if anyone mentioned it when it first came out, but dude GDP put out an album last year that's totally in the late 90's/early 2000's DefJux mode (couple sounds could easily pass as Co Flo). If you dig that kind of thing, I really recommend checking out "Useless Eaters"

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Gunplay is really dope, Bogota Rich has some amazing tracks. Real thug poo poo. It's "just an appetizer", 626 going to be real good then.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

That 1000wowfunky line is pretty good. I can see people doing that switch up flow. Gunplay is basically every dude I grew up with.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

snyprmag posted:

Gunplay is loving crazy (or good at acting like it) and is still the most interesting thing out of MMG.
Fair amount of drug use in the video if you are somewhere that might get you in trouble.

That kicked rear end.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

snyprmag posted:

Album needs to be out yesterday. gently caress.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

alansmithee posted:

Also don't know if anyone mentioned it when it first came out, but dude GDP put out an album last year that's totally in the late 90's/early 2000's DefJux mode (couple sounds could easily pass as Co Flo). If you dig that kind of thing, I really recommend checking out "Useless Eaters"

I totally forgot about this record. "Neural Circuitry" had a wild video and had me hyped, but then I forgot about them. Thanks for reminding me, I'm listening to it right now.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

snyprmag posted:

hes wack as gently caress but he's actually really good at rapping lol

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah he's really weird but he's dope. I'd take his weird nutjob behavior over someone like, I dunno, most any of the "top 10 artists to watch for" from the last few years.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

hes wack as gently caress but he's actually really good at rapping lol

what u judging on then, looks? dont understand this sentence

gunplay so raw. who else would call their mixtape '106 & snort'

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

snyprmag posted:

I enjoyed everything about that video, he has a lot of potential.

What was that vaporizer he was using?

Edit: Nevermind it was mentioned in the comments

shizen fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 22, 2012

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I don't know if it was mentioned here but a week or so ago flatbush zombies released their first mixtape. It is good. http://www.flatbushzombies.com/ Their music vids are worth checking out too

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I love how Cam-focused this thread always is. He dropped anything new in the past month?

Debunk
Aug 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

alansmithee posted:

That album was seriously slept on, glad to see it getting some respect. It's definitely got that cluttered/tense vibes that DefJux stuff had. Did one dude do all the production? I couldn't find out who made the beats but the sound's so cohesive I'd be surprised if it wasn't one dude.

I didn't see anyone mention it but Jeremiah Jae's LP is pretty sweet. Sort of reminds me of madlib or maybe shabazz palaces. I think it's interesting that the vocals sort of take a backseat to the beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Anderron Shi posted:

I love how Cam-focused this thread always is. He dropped anything new in the past month?

I'm assuming it's cause most everyone here was in high school during the height of Dipset and loved em back in the day. I admit, there's a lot of stuff to "ironically" appreciate about them: their clownish (but so on point) slang, wearing pink, their careers falling apart, Killa Season the movie, but Cam is a really great rapper. I once liked Juelz and the subsidiary members of the dips until they became super corny. Remember the beefs with Nas and Jay and the video of Jimmy and Cam getting beat up at the Rucker?

I don't know if he's done anything recently, probably not, but that was a weird and gross rear end movie Cam made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuUFetPJUEI

• Locked thread