Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Brit goons, please explain this. From 80s to weird to bad back to awesome:

My brain refuses to parse this image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

bytebark posted:

I had this toy as a kid but never knew anything about it. Randomly showed up at my aunt's condo one day and I recall never being able to get it fully folded up with the plane inside. What was it? From a movie or something?

Holy poo poo, I had one too, but without the plane. We didn't know where ours came from either.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 21, 2012

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
It's from a cartoon/toy line from the 80's called M.A.S.K.

http://www.virtualtoychest.co.uk/m/mask/maskslingshot/maskslingshot.html
http://www.albertpenello.com/mask/slingshot.html

General info: http://www.albertpenello.com/mask/

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

quote:

I want this so badly. You know how people put Rolls Royce fronts on Beetles? Well this is actually good.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 21, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Speaking of Minis with louvres, this made me laugh:

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Spotted in Malta earlier in the year.

It was diesel, those fake rear disks didn't have fake calipers on them, and I think those are fake filler caps on the spoiler. Also chrome all over the drat place, at least it was finished though.

It was enjoyably funny, as is driving in Malta, a tiny mad place with a massive car obsession.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

echoplex posted:

I want this so badly. You know how people put Rolls Royce fronts on Beetles? Well this is actually good.

I get distinct droopy dog impression from it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zeether posted:

They STILL make Mischief videos? I remember reading a review of one of them in a magazine and it sounded like it was just a full hour of people being idiots while driving.

That's pretty much it. They're one of the more popular street racing / rich gently caress "rally" (Gumball/Bullrun/etc) video series along with Super Speeders. Yeah they're douches, but it's sort of a guilty pleasure too. Half the time their shenanigans result in a pricey ticket and/or wrecked car.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

echoplex posted:

That is adorable :3:

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
on my way home last night I saw this gem sitting at one of the local "Buy Here, Pay Here" used car lots.

I was really curious about what was going on under that Acura SUV floor mat and welcome mat sitting on the back.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

What road is that? It almost looks like bits of AZ238 but I don't think 238 is that twisty.

South Mountain when you take both right turn offs up to the radio towers. That corner is literally 45 seconds from the top parking lot, to be fair it's a really bad corner if you've never been through it before or are not a decent driver/rider and trying to rail the road.

I've had three friends bin it there - Daytona 675 in the rain, SRAD GSXR750 first trip out, and a Ninja 250. Warn 'em but it still catches you up.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 21, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

winter.mute posted:

on my way home last night I saw this gem sitting at one of the local "Buy Here, Pay Here" used car lots.
I was really curious about what was going on under that Acura SUV floor mat and welcome mat sitting on the back.

Holy poo poo. Is that a real GT40? Kit car? Did it have a price on it?

Also I totally would have peeked under that mat.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Holy poo poo. Is that a real GT40? Kit car? Did it have a price on it?

Also I totally would have peeked under that mat.

thinking it has to be a kit, it's one of those lots that have no prices visible on anything there and everything probably came from impound or insurance auctions.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

winter.mute posted:

thinking it has to be a kit, it's one of those lots that have no prices visible on anything there and everything probably came from impound or insurance auctions.

It's most definitely a kit, and not a very well done at that. Most vintage GT40s didn't come with $150 Ebay fart cans. The nose is too long too.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

SiliconX posted:

The nose is too long too.

Looking at it again, it looks like an anteater.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Classy. Real classy.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

parrhesia posted:

Classy. Real classy.

Maybe he bought it at Target, and wanted it gift wrapped.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

parrhesia posted:

Classy. Real classy.

germans love corvettes, its basically an exotic over there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

See, the trick then is to troll people by saying you just sanded the paint off and polished it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you clear coated it afterwards that would actually kind of be cool. Or even if you didn't and let it rust up a bit and then clear coated it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

shoopeach posted:

germans love corvettes, its basically an exotic over there.
No, it's perceived as a car for pimps and people who can't afford a real sports car (i.e. a Porsche) but desperately want to go fast in a straight line, because Corvettes clearly can't corner.
The Corvette has a terrible image in Germany and this isn't helping.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Sir Cornelius posted:

So do I. Does anybody have details on this?

Its known as the "Urkel Isetta Dragster". It was featured in an episode of Family Matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3VDk1lidhU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

rscott posted:

If you clear coated it afterwards that would actually kind of be cool. Or even if you didn't and let it rust up a bit and then clear coated it.

...are you trolling now? I'm confused.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

parrhesia posted:

Classy. Real classy.

I'd love to see if ammonia causes that to peel off.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

sofullofhate posted:

...are you trolling now? I'm confused.
I thought the joke was that, in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "it's made of plastic"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SwashedBuckles posted:

I thought the joke was that, in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "it's made of plastic"

Not that there's anything wrong with that; there's a reason that most of the Chevy tents at motorsports events have a Corvette fender on a stand that you can pick up. It doesn't have the cachet of carbon fiber but it's a shitload cheaper, and doesn't dent to hell like aluminum.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Sorry my brain is mush from staring at spreadsheets all day :downs:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

parrhesia posted:

Classy. Real classy.

Seeing as thats in germany im pretty sure its illegal to paint your car all chrome too.
He's got a red plate on it though so pretty much everything goes cause those are dealer plates for "test drives"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
All right, which one of you is this? Spotted on a red Kia Soul.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

sup virginia buddy, I got gas there a while ago while on a trip to/from lowesville

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

echoplex posted:

If that were a Metro Turbo, they'd be about even, performance-wise.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Moxie Omen posted:

sup virginia buddy, I got gas there a while ago while on a trip to/from lowesville

:hfive:

Fun fact, I used to live in the apartment above the store :haw:

Also, their gas is usually some of the most expensive in the county :ssh: but the food is good (cooked by my girlfriend's mom!) and I like the owners.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Brit goons, please explain this. From 80s to weird to bad back to awesome:
Original Minis were cheap, mechanically simple and has a bit of a cult following so people customised a bunch of 'em? v:)v

quote:

This one's not quite as modified as it looks, though. It's not technically an Austin Mini. It's either a Riley Elf or a Humber Hornet:

Yes, Austin/BMC really made this. "I know what the Mini needs! An ugly grill, a bolted on boot and rear lights from the Morris 1100!" :barf:

InitialDave posted:

If that were a Metro Turbo, they'd be about even, performance-wise.
Until the engine ate itself. Or was that the Maestro Turbo? I forget.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

Shai-Hulud posted:

Seeing as thats in germany im pretty sure its illegal to paint your car all chrome too.
He's got a red plate on it though so pretty much everything goes cause those are dealer plates for "test drives"

It's most likely vinyl. They've come a long way from metalized polyester films which cannot be stretched and last about 6 months outdoors.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

SwashedBuckles posted:

It is.
:goonsay:

rscott posted:

Sorry my brain is mush from staring at spreadsheets all day :downs:

...and there we are.
:goonsay:

I'm too subtle, sorry guys. :downs:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

It's most likely vinyl. They've come a long way from metalized polyester films which cannot be stretched and last about 6 months outdoors.

Yeah probably. Would still be illegal though.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Is it because of visual impairment of other drivers due to reflection that they wont allow metal finish in deutschland?

This has me really wanting to paint a big old american car in stainless finish like the f-104.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What about the stripping and polishing of aluminum? i've always wanted to strip and polish a jag XJ or series 2 land rover, even if it would land in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Powershift posted:

What about the stripping and polishing of aluminum? i've always wanted to strip and polish a jag XJ or series 2 land rover, even if it would land in this thread.

You'd have to treat it, or keep it polished. While aluminum doesn't 'rust', it does still oxidize...