Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah I have to say it's a good update this week. I have fond memories of the Locust from ME2 and it's nice to see it get some love, looking at those numbers I suspect that it still kind of sucks though.

Hopefully this means less slash spam going forward, I hate that poo poo. It's boring in real games and for farming it kind of sucks. Smash primes and shockwave gives a bigger boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Operation Alloy?

No official announcements yet...

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

waah posted:

... But the desync bug still remains...

That's something that can't be fixed just by inputing some new numbers into a notepad file.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah I have to say it's a good update this week. I have fond memories of the Locust from ME2 and it's nice to see it get some love, looking at those numbers I suspect that it still kind of sucks though.

Hopefully this means less slash spam going forward, I hate that poo poo. It's boring in real games and for farming it kind of sucks. Smash primes and shockwave gives a bigger boom.

It's a 10% damage buff. It still doesn't change the fact that the Locust is only good for spraying very accurate pebbles at enemies.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
My Demolisher is gonna love the Crusader buff. 50 extra points of damage? Yes please. The Slash nerf was just a matter of time given how outrageous it was. On Gold and Platinum there was so much spam for detonations, and on Bronze it just straight-up murders entire spawns of mooks from half the map away.

Unsure that Biotic Charge needed buffing, especially since it'll probably be one of those double-whammies like what happened to Cloak, except in reverse. Instead of making Cloak not work properly most of the time until a proper balance patch could be figured out (and then forgetting / not bothering to roll the former back), they're giving Charge a buff until they can make it work properly, and will again probably not bother rolling the stat buffs back when they do. Should be interesting to see.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanks for a totally unexpected buff to the already-awesome and most superior fun class, the Krogan Vanguard! Now if they could only get Rage working properly...

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Glad to see they are still pushing out updates, hope they can address some of the "lost connection to EA servers" problem at some point. That is extremely frustrating.

Would anyone be willing to take a look at my manifest and give me a "best available" analysis for what I've unlocked at this point? I've got a few classes/weapons that I believe I understand how to play but I haven't found a combo that gives me a good feeling for something I could run with over and over for mass credits. I understand certain classes/weapons would be best against certain types of enemies or in certain maps, but sometimes I'm just bouncing between characters hoping that something clicks.

I had some pretty terrible Gold matches yesterday, some of which were due to my lack of performance, some my teammates. So I apologize if you ran into some dick-head pubbie named teh_DK who kept dying repeatedly.

e: V
yeah, PC.

e2: VV
thanks Synonamess Botch, will give that a go tonight. Do you leave Hunter mode on from the start or no? I feel like I get myself killed just leaving it on but then I have to use another cooldown to turn it back on.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 21, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

So you're on xbox and PC. I assume you want us to look at the PC manifest because it has more stuff unlocked.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

TheDK posted:

Would anyone be willing to take a look at my manifest and give me a "best available" analysis for what I've unlocked at this point? I've got a few classes/weapons that I believe I understand how to play but I haven't found a combo that gives me a good feeling for something I could run with over and over for mass credits. I understand certain classes/weapons would be best against certain types of enemies or in certain maps, but sometimes I'm just bouncing between characters hoping that something clicks.

If you want to go totally cheese you have the geth infiltrator who is viable all the way up to platinum. This is how I play him. I usually carry both a harrier and a piranha which you have both of, as long as you cloak and instantly fire your proxy mine your cooldown will be super short. This is seriously easy mode.

Piranha post-nerf is still very powerful, just put a smart choke on it. Krogan Battlemaster is also really strong on gold and above because he can tank like a motherfucker, ignore carnage, go full durability because rage is bugged. I like the Reegar on him, but you may want to stay long-range until you get more comfortable. I also like the piranha on the paladin specced out of incinerate. Snap freeze is a great debuff. Basic human sentinel and engineer are also still good characters. I recommend buying veteran packs until you get the rest of your uncommon characters/weapons because turian sentinel and salarian engineer are both very good characters that are easy to get.

e: that is based on PC manifest

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Synonamess Botch posted:

Piranha post-nerf is still very powerful, just put a smart choke on it. Krogan Battlemaster is also really strong on gold and above because he can tank like a motherfucker, ignore carnage, go full durability because rage is bugged. I like the Reegar on him, but you may want to stay long-range until you get more comfortable.

As you become more experienced with the Kroguard, you can easily take 2/3 or 3/3 of your melee evolutions in the Rage tree without hurting your survivability too much. Even though Rage is broken, the passive melee bonuses make you hit like a truck, and are only multiplied with gear like Berserker Package (this owns). You should always take Martial Artist in any case, because you'll never be waiting for your shields to recharge before Charging!

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Hate to tack another advice-post on here, but here is my (PC) manifest. Lately I've been running at Turian Sentinel with a Hurricane I and Predator X, but I'm looking for a change of pace that'd allow me to be more useful in Gold matches. I've been farming for PSPs some, so I have a good variety of weapons that hang between level 1 and 3 or so. Nothing seems extraordinary except the Talon. gently caress that gun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Nothing seems extraordinary except the Talon. gently caress that gun.

If you hate the Talon, you're using it wrong. It's probably the best pistol in the game, even at Rank I. What's your problem with it?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

Why the Talon is the Best Gun in the Game

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

Krogan Battlemaster is also really strong on gold and above because he can tank like a motherfucker, ignore carnage, go full durability because rage is bugged.

Y'guys. Y'know. It's just like. Sometimes, I feel like, nobody listens to me :qq:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Hate to tack another advice-post on here, but here is my (PC) manifest. Lately I've been running at Turian Sentinel with a Hurricane I and Predator X, but I'm looking for a change of pace that'd allow me to be more useful in Gold matches. I've been farming for PSPs some, so I have a good variety of weapons that hang between level 1 and 3 or so. Nothing seems extraordinary except the Talon. gently caress that gun.
Go either Krogan Soldier w/Falcon or Batarian Soldier w/Graal. Use incendiary ammo and your powers to murder anything with armor and set the map on fire. These two classes are really good for learning Gold because you can tank a lot and have plenty of options to stagger enemies which gives you a lot of room for error even with lovely guns.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 21, 2012

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

That DICK! posted:

Y'guys. Y'know. It's just like. Sometimes, I feel like, nobody listens to me :qq:

Honestly I never melee on the battlemaster because I am too busy Reegaring everything. Reegar > melee, reegar + incendiary ammo > everything.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

Honestly I never melee on the battlemaster because I am too busy Reegaring everything. Reegar > melee, reegar + incendiary ammo > everything.

When fully maxed out, you can charge->melee pretty much anything that isn't a Banshee, Atlas, or Geth Prime in one hit. Ravagers take two but have absolutely no counter to a Krogan vanguard in their face. Brutes are a bit trickier and usually take two melees, two charges, and a few piranha shots to the gut, but they're really easy, too, so long as you know the signal for their insta-kill.

The key is keeping up the 75%(I'm pretty sure? I can't remember) buff that is a passive part of Martial Arts. Once you've offed one mook with a heavy melee, you're a wrecking ball. I'm not saying never use your gun, but you can shoot while you're lining up for another melee.

Another thing that maybe everyone is aware of but I never seem to hear people talking about is that it's important to immediately follow up a charge with a melee. If you do it immediately and they didn't go flying off, you'll be instantly locked on. It was really frustrating when I started playing to miss so many melees, but once you get the hang of it, I feel it is no question about it being the superior way to go.

Besides, you're charging and headbutting poo poo to death and constantly cackling. No amount of guns makes up for that.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I just this morning respecced my guy out of full melee and into full durability so I know where you're coming from. I'm just saying there are advantages to 1850 base health and shields. Advantages like being completely unkillable.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Well, if any class needed a buff it was definitely the Krogan Vanguard :psyduck:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

If you hate the Talon, you're using it wrong. It's probably the best pistol in the game, even at Rank I. What's your problem with it?
Just that it easily outclasses anything else I have, so I feel like I'm playing wrong if I don't use it. Putting a scope on it seems like cheating.

Elotana posted:

Go either Krogan Soldier w/Falcon or Batarian Soldier w/Graal. Use incendiary ammo and your powers to murder anything with armor and set the map on fire. These two classes are really good for learning Gold because you can tank a lot and have plenty of options to stagger enemies which gives you a lot of room for error even with lovely guns.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll give 'em both a try and report back.

For content: I've been dicking around with a Turian Soldier w/Revenant build that's proven pretty fun. Probably a bit of a gimmick, but it works really well in Silver. I doubt it has enough flexibility for Gold, though. (Can't put the URL in tags as it has a bracket: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#12OAPQRH1@0]B@@B4A3@0@0 )

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Synonamess Botch posted:

Krogan Battlemaster is also really strong on gold and above because he can tank like a motherfucker, ignore carnage, go full durability because rage is bugged.
yeah, first try with this build: Krogan Battlemaster

(silver) I came out on top using a Piranha II. 2nd try was pretty similar except I was dropped from the game in wave 8 or so (not a desync, connection error). Thanks for the advice everyone.

I could easily see changing some points for defense before moving into gold with him.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

For Gold I find radius Charge is better since you want as many targets stunned as possible but that's a very solid build. It's hard to go wrong with the Kroguard but I still don't see that many people play it well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Here's my manifest:
http://social.bioware.com/4059732/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_xbox&pid=319402374&display=multiplayer
I find I tend to mostly just play Demolisher these days.

Someone recommend me a character/weapon combo based on what I have.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Got Mattock I, II, and III in consecutive VPs. :smug: It's really pretty much exactly the same as the Predator III I was using before and will probably keep using frequently, but it is nice to have something slightly lighter for my Fury when I feel like going for more powers and fewer bullets.

People are definitely right about the Fury and Geth, it's amazing how much harder it is to get a lot of quick damage done against them as opposed to all reapers and most Cerberus. I'm starting to sometimes get top scores with Fury against those two though, and I'm learning how amazing the teleport dodge is. If you can get over the fact that it hurts a bit of your barrier, being able to instantly go through a solid wall to safety lets you do some pretty amazing things.

Not sure I understand biotic explosions, though. I thought both powers needed to be "effective" against the enemy's health type for it to work, but I was getting explosions by shooting Throw at brutes that had DC on them. This doesn't work with everything which is why it's confusing.

edit: Also joining a game with 3 Krogan in it was amazing. YEEAEAAAAAHHHHAAAHAA THEY'RE DEAD

Zuriel147
May 1, 2009
After great success with the Turian Sentinel, I am going to ask for another set of tips for the human vanguard - the one with the whips - I figure I should be using the biotic charge to get in close, then shotgun, then smash and biotic charge again to set off BEs?

The character seems cool enough, but I am not sure it suits my playstyle. Which of his abilities sets off BEs (presume lash), and what would be a good build here?

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

http://social.bioware.com/4059587/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_pc&pid=366924358&display=multiplayer

I also tend to play a lot with the Demolisher, but mostly because its very Platinum-friendly. I really dig the shadow and the infiltrator classes, but I don't get to play them as often due to group dynamics or squad needs. Looks like my roster is fairly complete; I've got almost everything unlocked but not necessarily at highest level. I'm only missing a few things overall.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Not sure I understand biotic explosions, though. I thought both powers needed to be "effective" against the enemy's health type for it to work, but I was getting explosions by shooting Throw at brutes that had DC on them. This doesn't work with everything which is why it's confusing.

Biotic explosions always work as long as the detonator power hits whatever is primed. What you're thinking of regarding effectiveness is probably how certain primer powers don't work on certain targets. Pull and Singularity can't prime anything with shields/barriers and Lash can't prime armor, but everything else should be fair game.

Two Finger posted:

Here's my manifest:
http://social.bioware.com/4059732/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_xbox&pid=319402374&display=multiplayer
I find I tend to mostly just play Demolisher these days.

Someone recommend me a character/weapon combo based on what I have.

I recommend this Destroyer build. You only have a Grenade mod at level 3, so I suggest using the Revenant with EB + Piercing and the Claymore with either EB or AP and Choke. The extra bit of shields on Devastator mode may not sound like much but it lets me very comfortable maintained sustained fire with the Revenant. Once you get a levelled up Warfighter gear you might want to consider the Typhoon with EB + Clip - it's got less punch than the Revenant but it's more accurate and has a damage multiplier against defenses. You may also want to swap the Claymore for a Piranha when you get one. In fact, everybody should play a Destroyer with this setup at least once and relive the glory of the ME1 Soldier.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Operation Alloy?

What did it say? I'm guessing they took it down.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Biotic explosions always work as long as the detonator power hits whatever is primed. What you're thinking of regarding effectiveness is probably how certain primer powers don't work on certain targets. Pull and Singularity can't prime anything with shields/barriers and Lash can't prime armor, but everything else should be fair game.

I recommend this Destroyer build. You only have a Grenade mod at level 3, so I suggest using the Revenant with EB + Piercing and the Claymore with either EB or AP and Choke. The extra bit of shields on Devastator mode may not sound like much but it lets me very comfortable maintained sustained fire with the Revenant. Once you get a levelled up Warfighter gear you might want to consider the Typhoon with EB + Clip - it's got less punch than the Revenant but it's more accurate and has a damage multiplier against defenses. You may also want to swap the Claymore for a Piranha when you get one. In fact, everybody should play a Destroyer with this setup at least once and relive the glory of the ME1 Soldier.

This suitable for Gold? It looks interesting. I'm not certain - are you saying definitely take the Grenade mod? I will have a crack with it later.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I still don't have either of the ex-Cerberus classes. What the gently caress, RNG.

Also I really want higher ranks of the Warfighter package since I usually take it with my demolisher or destroyer, is that a gold or silver drop? In other words am I better off buying PSP's or VP's to find them?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

thevoiceofdog posted:

Also I really want higher ranks of the Warfighter package since I usually take it with my demolisher or destroyer, is that a gold or silver drop? In other words am I better off buying PSP's or VP's to find them?
Gold. All two-effect gear is gold.

I <3 my Warfighter IV.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Two Finger posted:

This suitable for Gold? It looks interesting. I'm not certain - are you saying definitely take the Grenade mod? I will have a crack with it later.

Yeah it works fine for me on Gold, and do take the grenade mod. Multi-Frags are awesome - with that spec they do enough force and damage to stagger Phantoms reliably and knock people out of Banshee grabs. You're not as durable as a Krogan, but you can't be staggered so that makes you really good for a hack 4 objective if there's no infiltrator around and you're not hosed against Geth. On Platinum you'll need to hug cover more often, whereas on Gold you get enough leeway to run around.

I find the Revenant pretty bad on most classes but the free Marksman like abilities of Devastator mode make it a good gun withou relying on a cooldown. Slap on Warp or Incendiary ammo and go to town.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 22, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the advice. Just a question - how the gently caress do I use the Revenant effectively? Double tap? Short bursts? Bullet hell?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Fire indiscriminately at everything and quote your favourite 80s action hero. What makes it better than the Typhoon is the lack of ramp-up so you can burst if you have to, but the Typhoon is superior for sustained periods of fire due to its accuracy. The Typhoo is also a million times harder to level up as well...

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

If you're having trouble with the accuracy, short bursts and/or cover are the way to go. Alternately, stop caring so much. I recommend the latter.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You think I'd be better off with Revenant VII over a Typhoon I?
I don't have any respec cards so I'm gonna roll with the way it's specced for a while and then respec to yours when I can.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Sorry to whoever was just playing with me, I was dropped from the server. And I was hosting.

:negative:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'd say Revenant until you get a Warfighter gear levelled up enough to give 2 grenades. The Revenant works well enough without a need for a +damage gear or amps as long as you put EB and an ammo power on it. The Typhoon is about as powerful as an equivalent level Revenant once it's ramped up so it needs more things to boost its damage at a low level.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Operation Alloy?

I'm not seeing anything unusual here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Pumpking posted:

I'm not seeing anything unusual here.

It's gone now, but when he posted it, there was some sort of placeholder with just the image the operations usually have and a title. Clicking on it sent you to a page that didn't exist.

• Locked thread