Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I just did a quick Google bomb and it appears most pages reccomend 600-800 mcg's or whatever it is for Folic. Maybe you could look up the webpage for that research hospital and see if it says anything there?

EVERYONE: Bumbo is doing a voluntary "recall" where you go to the website and fill out a form to get a lap belt sent for your Bumbo chair(s). Evidently, babies are "working themselves out of the chair" and getting hurt when the chair is "on the floor or unspecified heights". So, write in an get a belt, and NEVER use the chair on high surfaces OR without DIRECT, ATTENTIVE supervision.

http://recall.bumbousa.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

sheri posted:

What's the current recommendation for folic acid in the first trimester, the prenatal I have been taking has 800 mcg (or whatever that unit is). The nurse I talked to said the big research hospital in the are was now recommending 5000 mcg every day for the first trimester.

Does anyone have any info showing support for this or any info on how much folic is too much if there is such a thing!

Maybe she was referring to this: http://www.motherisk.org/prof/updatesDetail.jsp?content_id=974

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hrm, that is interesting. So I do not fall into any of the at risk categories. Does anyone know if there are any potential complications with taking a crapload of folic acid?

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
I had a baby! Tobin Ryan came exactly 2 weeks before his due date, I was actually on my way to my weekly appt. and my water broke in my car (which I may never be able to drive again...gross). Labor was a piece of cake, I was very lucky, and he came after about 4 hours with maybe 15 minutes of pushing.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

sheri posted:

Hrm, that is interesting. So I do not fall into any of the at risk categories. Does anyone know if there are any potential complications with taking a crapload of folic acid?

The only potential problem I'm aware of is that it can hide pernicious anemia while you are on the megadose of folic acid. But that is a pretty minor problem and is just a reason not to stay on it for years and years. Not a reason not to supplement for the try to conceive and pregnancy periods.

I'd call your doctors office and double check though, just to be safe.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

orinth posted:

Well we have triplets. My wife gave birth last Thursday at 29 weeks 5 days. All three are of course in the NICU and will be for some time. They're a week old today and doing well. All of them are breathing on their own. Little Brendan was only on a CPAP for about 12 hours and has been breathing on his own for 6 days while Trevor got off his yesterday.

My wife is 28 weeks and up until these pictures I've been imagining how big our daughter will be. The What to expect app says head of cabbage, but unless my kid is a cabbage it's tough to pick out arms and legs and head size for me. Seeing these pictures puts a really eye opening experience of what size she is around. Glad to see they're progressing ahead well.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Any tips or tricks as to how I can make my skin not revert to its 14 year old teenage girl zit land?

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

The only advice I have is NOT to use a lot of harsh cleansers and whatnot. My skin while pregnant is much more sensitive to products than it is otherwise, and trying different acne treatments just made it so much worse. If anything, I would say switch to the gentlest of gentle products, if you aren't already using really mild stuff. Maybe try the oil cleansing method.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I made this.

My husband then broke his computer for two weeks so I'm posting late.
Eowyn Sue was born (natural and breech!) on 8-9-12 and weighed 9 lbs 12 oz.

She seems very pleased for all this to be over with.

Teddy the onesie-stealing cat is not impressed with my new people-kitten.

I'm taking Fenugreek to increase my milk supply since the first night postnatal nurse traumatized my child by waking us up every hour for foot pokes and force feedings and she didn't want my breast after for over a week. She's so freaking observant though, more so than any of my other three at this age. She tracks everyone when they speak, calms down in her crib if you just talk to her and let her know you're there, and fights you if you don't want her holding her head up! I just wish I didn't smell like syrup.

FengShuiNinja
Aug 18, 2012

Ooh! Pictures!

Sheri,

I had this problem too. My acne went away when I used dermatologist approved products. My mother actually bought me some Estee Lauder facial cleanser that worked quite well. However, anything that is gentle can do the trick. You may find that you need to wash your face a bit more often than usual.

Issue:
My baby has a problem with one of his kidneys. It could be genetic and the words the OB/GYN threw around were 'polycystic kidney' which makes me worry a bit because polycystic kidney disease can be bad news. We will see soon if she meant the disease itself or if there are easily-dealt with fluid filled cysts in the kidney. I have been referred to a doctor who specializes in fetal medicine. The appointment will include Genetic counseling, an ultrasound examination, and a consultation with a perinatologist. The visit will last for 3 hours.

I was asking in the 'getting pregnant' thread about genetic tests that could be taken before pregnancy and why was I brushed aside when I asked my doctor about them. I would have loved to take a few tests before I was pregnant to see what my risks were because 1) I am adopted and 2) my husband can check off almost every race/ethnicity box on the U.S. Census.

The genetic counselor will talk about family history. Is this going to help? I'm adopted and I'll be all "Durr...I dunno..." At least my husband knows his family history for both maternal and paternal sides.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I'm no doctor, but I think usually genetic testing comes into play when you know you and your husband are both of a specific ethnicity that is high-risk for something. My husband and I are both 100% Greek, so thalassemia was a concern. If he'd been something else, I wouldn't have worried about it.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Amelia Song posted:

The only advice I have is NOT to use a lot of harsh cleansers and whatnot. My skin while pregnant is much more sensitive to products than it is otherwise, and trying different acne treatments just made it so much worse. If anything, I would say switch to the gentlest of gentle products, if you aren't already using really mild stuff. Maybe try the oil cleansing method.

Seriously true, I was using some fash wash that was just supposed to be a "pore cleanser", didn't have salicylic acid or anything in it. My acne kept getting worse and worse, and when I ran out of the face wash the acne started looking better. Still as many zits, but they're not as red or inflamed. So now I'm looking for a really gentle face wash, and I've stopped wearing low cut tops because of all the tit zits.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Hi folks. I know this is a terrible subject that typically ends up going wrong, so hopefully that can be avoided, and I'll be happy to drop the subject entirely if it's an issue. Any time a thread gets started directly on circumcision, it gets gassed. I was going to put this in parenting, but looks like 3 months is the dividing line, so here it goes..

Well, my son is due in about a month, and while I'm circumcised, I have been leaning towards not circumcising my son, in part because I haven't been able to find any compelling reasons to do so outside of sameness and convenience for cleaning, which I didn't find good enough.

Apparently the AAP is issuing an update to their statement on circumcision, and according to this article, they are finding that it definitely have health benefits, and now my confidence is waffled again.

article

This quote here is basically the crux of my problem:

quote:

The American Academy of Pediatrics' most recent statement on the issue, reaffirmed in 2005, said there is not enough evidence to recommend routine male newborn circumcision. But a new draft of that statement is set to be published next week, the AAP confirmed.

There are also ethical questions about whether it's okay to perform circumcision on a newborn boy who is obviously too young to consent, researchers noted. But as boys get older, the procedure becomes more complicated and expensive.

Any parents recently go through this, and what was your thinking on this?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Stairs posted:

I'm taking Fenugreek to increase my milk supply since the first night postnatal nurse traumatized my child by waking us up every hour for foot pokes and force feedings and she didn't want my breast after for over a week. She's so freaking observant though, more so than any of my other three at this age. She tracks everyone when they speak, calms down in her crib if you just talk to her and let her know you're there, and fights you if you don't want her holding her head up! I just wish I didn't smell like syrup.

I just made a batch of these "lactation cookies" last night. It's probably too soon to tell if they're working, but I like the idea of baked goods as medicine. And they taste good too.
http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-lactation-cookies-by-noel-trujillo-192346
To increase the oat content (since oats are one of the active ingredients), I replaced 3/4ths of the flour with oat flour that I made by grinding up oats in a blender. I also dumped a few opened fenugreek capsules into it as well.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

glug posted:

I'll bite. I told my husband if we have a boy, its his decision since I don't have a penis. He decided if we have a boy, not to circumcised. A lot of the benefits to being circumcised you could also gain from making sure your kid has a good understanding of sex ed. If he wanted to get it done when he's older, I'd respect his decision.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

glug posted:

Hi folks. I know this is a terrible subject that typically ends up going wrong, so hopefully that can be avoided, and I'll be happy to drop the subject entirely if it's an issue. Any time a thread gets started directly on circumcision, it gets gassed. I was going to put this in parenting, but looks like 3 months is the dividing line, so here it goes..

Well, my son is due in about a month, and while I'm circumcised, I have been leaning towards not circumcising my son, in part because I haven't been able to find any compelling reasons to do so outside of sameness and convenience for cleaning, which I didn't find good enough.

Apparently the AAP is issuing an update to their statement on circumcision, and according to this article, they are finding that it definitely have health benefits, and now my confidence is waffled again.

article

This quote here is basically the crux of my problem:

If our kid's a boy we're not circumcising because there's no compelling reason to do so. My husband is Jewish but doesn't like the idea of such an unnecessary procedure on an infant. I'm not rabidly anti, we're just choosing not to.

W

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Thanks. That's entirely how I've felt about it (both of those really) and I guess I'm getting overly concerned by new guidance/statistics that might ultimately work out to 'wear a condom, dumbass'.

I'll stop freaking out and read up more critically when they put out their update this week.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I do recommend not talking about your decision with people since it is a polarizing subject. Even before I got pregnant, we mentioned to my husband's sister that if we ever had a son, we wouldn't circumcise and she freaked the gently caress out on us. She went on and on about how he'd never get laid because no girl would ever sleep with him. When I pointed out how other places like Europe, its rare to have it done, she freaked out more saying that's not true, all western places do it, etc etc. We were really baffled and confused why she was so concerned how attractive our hypothetical son's penis was. :confused:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

glug posted:

We're expecting a boy, and--like Alterian--I'm leaving the final decision to my husband. His family is Jewish and we both want our kids to feel like they can have access to that part of their background. But on the other hand, my husband isn't religiously observant and neither am I, and there isn't really any other reason to do it. We've both sort of assumed that we were going to go the circumcision route but the last time I brought it up my husband said "hmm, gee, I really should learn more about it." I am honestly okay either way.

I hope there can be a non-terrible discussion about this since I could use more information myself. :shobon:

e. Heh, Alterian's right about not bringing it up. I don't have any stories of non-internet arguments but it is so not something I'm laying out for discussion with anyone but my husband and the doctor.

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 21, 2012

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Alterian posted:

When I pointed out how other places like Europe, its rare to have it done, she freaked out more saying that's not true, all western places do it, etc etc.

Having lived in UK, France and now Ireland, I don't know anyone who has circumcised their child, even for religious reasons. It's not even mentioned at the hospital etc so it's a complete non-decision for the average parent here. Honestly, I only ever heard of circumcision because of the internet :v:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Helanna posted:

Having lived in UK, France and now Ireland, I don't know anyone who has circumcised their child, even for religious reasons. It's not even mentioned at the hospital etc so it's a complete non-decision for the average parent here. Honestly, I only ever heard of circumcision because of the internet :v:

She actually told us if she was about to have sex with a guy for the first time and he wasn't circumcised, she'd leave. I thought that was a bit over the top.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

glug posted:

Thanks. That's entirely how I've felt about it (both of those really) and I guess I'm getting overly concerned by new guidance/statistics that might ultimately work out to 'wear a condom, dumbass'.

I'll stop freaking out and read up more critically when they put out their update this week.

We're expecting a boy and I'm uncircumsized, so the decision wasn't difficult at all for us (my wife unprompted told me she didn't want to do it). If you want another way of looking at the whole HIV/STD thing, you can teach your son that because he's uncircumsized it is that much more important to use protection, and in the end that mentality may make him safer overall compared to being circumsized.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Mnemosyne posted:

I just made a batch of these "lactation cookies" last night. It's probably too soon to tell if they're working, but I like the idea of baked goods as medicine. And they taste good too.
http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-lactation-cookies-by-noel-trujillo-192346
To increase the oat content (since oats are one of the active ingredients), I replaced 3/4ths of the flour with oat flour that I made by grinding up oats in a blender. I also dumped a few opened fenugreek capsules into it as well.

My favorite recipe calls for flaxseed meal and oatmeal instead of flour, both of which help for boosting supply. They really help me a lot with making more milk. I cannot find the link, but luckily I had the recipe printed out, so here it is:

Wet ingredients:

1/2 c. butter (softened)
16 oz peanut butter (that’s how big my jar was but 14 oz would be ok too. I have also used sunbutter as a delicious substitute)
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
1 T. real Maple syrup (optional)
2 t. vanilla

Dry ingredients:

1/2 t. salt
3 T. Brewer’s yeast
1 c. flax seed meal
3 1/2 c. oats
2 t. baking soda
1 bag chocolate chips (or toffee, butterscotch etc.)
1 c. almond slivers

Preheat oven to 350º F

1. Stir together butter, peanut butter and brown sugar till thoroughly mixed.
2. Add eggs and beat till mixed.
3. Stir in vanilla and maple syrup.
4. Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
5. Use an small ice cream scoop or spoons to shape cookies. Press flat on cookie sheet before baking. They are kind of sticky and a little hard to shape but press on. It is worth it.
6. Bake 10-12 minutes. The cookies should be chewy and soft, not crunchy. Your oven might be a little more or less so keep an eye on them.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Helanna posted:

Same, I live in the UK and after having three boys no one, professional medical person or otherwise, has ever suggested circumsising them.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Alterian posted:

She actually told us if she was about to have sex with a guy for the first time and he wasn't circumcised, she'd leave. I thought that was a bit over the top.

Then I guess she won't be having sex with your son??? No problem with your decision as far as I can see.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I also left the decision up to my husband, and he really agonized over it for months. In the end, he decided to do it, but we didn't allow them to do it at the hospital. When we asked, the nurses told us that in the hospital they only gave the babies Tylenol for the circumcision, and we weren't ok with that. We had been to the bris of a friend's son, and the baby hadn't cried or even seemed to notice that it was any different than a diaper change. Their mohel was also a doctor and had used an injectable anaesthetic beforehand which is why the baby didn't get upset at all. Even though we aren't Jewish, we used the same guy because I wasn't going to let them cut pieces off of my baby without anaesthetic. We had to pay out of pocket for it though, since insurance only covered it if it was done in the hospital.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Alterian posted:

I've been with both types of penises, and it's not a big deal. The unaltered kind was a bit novel (United States), but there was no difference in utility. She sounds like she might have a few issues regarding perceived cleanliness and such. (I would have LOUDLY asked her why she was so obsessed with my son's penis in the first place)

My husband and I talked about it when Em was still a nubbin and we didn't know, and although he is circumcised, we decided that we would not if we had a son. He was even more adamant about it than I was. It was for the reasons already outlined in the thread, that there is no medical reason strong enough to outweigh the procedure and its side effects.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

There is no evidence that states circumcision is necessary in infants so we did not do it. Also, leaving it up to your husband is ridiculous. It's an informed decision that both parents should be part of.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

bamzilla posted:

There is no evidence that states circumcision is necessary in infants so we did not do it. Also, leaving it up to your husband is ridiculous. It's an informed decision that both parents should be part of.

I don't think anyone here is talking about "leaving it up to the husband" without discussion or thought of their own. In my family's case, he's the one with a more pertinent religious and cultural interest. I don't feel strongly either way (or rather, I can give weight to reasons on either side) but when it comes down to it "how Jewish" our children should be is a question I think he should have more say in. Right now, I'm the one making the latkes and brushing up on Passover theology but I don't want to co-opt his background.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
My mom was not happy that I had decided not to circumcise if I had a son. When she found out we were having a girl the first thing she pretty much said was that she was glad there'd be no issue with it. She still has commented on it in case our second, when we have one, is a boy. Our family is culturally Jewish but my mom and I are both atheists. I'm raising my kids without a religious background. My only sibling is another girl so it's not like my mom ever has had to deal with baby penises before.

I have no idea why she's so invested in it. Like, she was actually angry. The other day she brought it up again. My daughter is six months old and we're not even planning on trying for another kid for another year and a half. What is it with this topic?

My mom also was kind of confused that I had chosen not to pierce my daughter's ears until she could ask/consent to having it done. My mom pierced my ears when I was less than 2 years old and I'm not mad about it. I just don't want to make permanent modifications to my kids.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I have two sons. We didn't circumcise. I wouldn't have agreed to it ever so I'm glad my husband looked at the research and decided I was right.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
I was pretty adamant about not wanting to have my son circumcised, because I spent nine months building that little body and I didn't want to go cutting bits off if it wasn't necessary. My husband was totally indifferent but once he saw my mind was made up he supported and defended the decision. I really appreciated his support once we told our mothers, who both had conniptions because it's going to get filthy and rot off!!! He's 9 months old now and they still (independently!) occasionally ask how his peepee is doing, has it totally closed up and gotten nasty yet, are we cleaning it right, etc.

Really, just think about whether you both feel comfortable with it and if not, don't do it, and if anyone gives you poo poo, who cares, it's not their kid. Depending on where you are, you may need to get insistent with the nurses, though. I'm in the Southern US and the assumption definitely was that he would be circumcised--luckily the nurse was only a little taken aback when I said he wouldn't.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
A few years ago my husband told me if ever had a son he'd want him circumcised so he would look like him, which I didn't think was a very compelling reason. But recently he told me if the baby turns out to be a boy, he wouldn't want him circumcised because it's unnecessary and wrong to do it to babies who can't even consent. I don't know when he changed his mind but I wouldn't allow the baby to be circumcised anyway so I'm glad he did.

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
Hello pregnancy thread!

I've been a bit reluctant to post in here because my situation is... well, not exactly standard. I'm a transgendered male who was told for years that I was sterile, and as such we've been pretty lax with the birth control, since I'm in a 3-year committed relationship. Turns out that I am not in fact sterile, and we've decided to go through with the pregnancy because the relationship is solid and both of us are surprisingly okay with the idea of having a kid together, considering it never really came up. I'm at about 11 weeks. I hope it's okay for me to post here anyway.

I've been having some pretty awful food problems: Zofran 8mg around the clock, and I'm still having trouble getting anything into my stomach. I cannot handle most beef, eggs, or really anything except that instant breakfast powder in milk, potatoes/bread, and fish. I also wake up every two hours at night to eat a few saltines, because if I don't I wake up every three hours vomiting, Zofran or not. Is this something that's likely to pass soon, and until it does, is there something I can do to help it a little? I'm a pretty skinny dude to begin with, and I'm still losing weight.

Fwiw on the circumcision front, we don't intend to do so if it's a boy, but it's absolutely a personal choice.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Congrats! Simple starches like rice, pasta, and potatoes helped me until the nausea passed around 14 weeks. Sour candies (especially Lemonheads) helped too. Not super healthy but got me through it!

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I had a lot of problems with morning sickness too until about 14 weeks, and I ate a lot of crackers, rice, bananas, bread, and low sodium chicken broth. I'd never had a problem with regular chicken broth before but suddenly it tasted way too salty. Ginger ale and ginger candy helped settle my stomach if I was feeling too nauseous too eat in the first place.

I'm pretty skinny too and I lost 6 pounds my first trimester, I think a lot of people here lost even more initially. I had to eat every 2-3 hours or I'd throw up and I'm pretty sure I was still eating way more food than I was throwing up but weight loss is pretty common. You should gain it back in a month or two.

Actually what helped the most (with the morning sickness, not the finances for sure) was my husband being unemployed so he could fetch me food at a moment's notice.

tse1618 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 22, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Try eating something with a bunch of protein with your carbs right before bed, like cheese or chicken or a few spoonsful of peanut butter. That really helped me sleep longer before my stomach made me get up.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Alterian posted:

That is unintentionally hilarious ;)

I had hoped that hidden in this thread I'd get some honest and reasoned responses, thanks so far. The last time I saw a thread about it it went down fast, which is a shame. Let's just keep this on the DL for a bit.

bamzilla posted:

I agree.. however when there's disagreement my wife is deferring to me, and it seems like where there's relative disinterest that's happening with others.

The most compelling reasons I've heard are tradition and sameness, and neither of those are compelling enough for me, and in that regard my wife is ok with my decision on it, assuming it stays where it is.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I had my baby over the weekend. Thursday was my Dr appointment and he was head down ready to go. Saturday morning we head to the hospital when I was getting contractions. We get there at 11:30. By 11:45 we find out I am in labor, and he is breach. They told me I was getting a c-section at 1pm. I didn't really have any time to process what was happening. I was totally freaked out and cried a ton.

Anyway, details:

Born at 39 weeks 1 day. 08-18-12 / 8 lbs 4 oz / 19.5 in

Here's Benjamin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Daemoxx posted:

Hello pregnancy thread!

I've been a bit reluctant to post in here because my situation is... well, not exactly standard. I'm a transgendered male who was told for years that I was sterile, and as such we've been pretty lax with the birth control, since I'm in a 3-year committed relationship. Turns out that I am not in fact sterile, and we've decided to go through with the pregnancy because the relationship is solid and both of us are surprisingly okay with the idea of having a kid together, considering it never really came up. I'm at about 11 weeks. I hope it's okay for me to post here anyway.

I've been having some pretty awful food problems: Zofran 8mg around the clock, and I'm still having trouble getting anything into my stomach. I cannot handle most beef, eggs, or really anything except that instant breakfast powder in milk, potatoes/bread, and fish. I also wake up every two hours at night to eat a few saltines, because if I don't I wake up every three hours vomiting, Zofran or not. Is this something that's likely to pass soon, and until it does, is there something I can do to help it a little? I'm a pretty skinny dude to begin with, and I'm still losing weight.

Fwiw on the circumcision front, we don't intend to do so if it's a boy, but it's absolutely a personal choice.

Have you seen this blog? http://www.milkjunkies.net/ It's about a transgendered male who had a baby and he discusses their struggles with breastfeeding. It pooped up on my radar recently because his leader application to La Leche League was rejected because he identifies as a father.