Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm about to ditch chrome for IE if it doesn't stop not loading webpages. I've turned off "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" and "Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors." I've cleared my cache and restarted my router and my internet works fine for everything else. I'm sick of having to refresh a bunch of times to get the pictures on tumblr to load or get twitter up. I don't know what's causing it and nothing the internet has suggested to fix it has worked.

Why would the DNS lookup keep failing. Why. Why are you doing this chrome.

code:
Enable SPDY/3 Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
Enable experimental SPDY/3.
Disable

Built-in Asynchronous DNS Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
Enable experimental asynchronous DNS client.
Disable
You could go to chrome://flags and turn those off if they're on

libersyber posted:

Has anybody had problems with Chrome 21.0.1180.79 lately? I must have updated to this version a couple days ago and now shockwave flash plugin keeps crashing every few minutes. I can be doing anything and at some point if open a link with any flash content (video, banner, whatever) the tab keeps opening for a minute or two and then I get information that the shockwave flash plugin failed, in all tabs. I need to manually close all tabs and then restart Chrome. If I don't close all the tabs, flash won't work even after restarting. Flash is in version 11.3.31.227.

If that's Beta then it's up to .83 now (and Flash is .230), so try updating and see if things are fixed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Anyone having issues with web fonts not loading in Chrome OSX stable (Version 21.0.1180.79)? I'm getting fallback fonts on The Verge and the icon font used for files on GitHub aren't loading at all, so it's more than just an issue with one site. It doesn't seem like the CSS files aren't loading; it's just not using the fonts for some reason.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
Is there an extension that allows you to queue up files and download one at a time?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is Sync down or something? Starting up Chrome gives me this error:

I tried disassociating my account and logging in again, but that didn't work at all. Any tips?

Chrome version 21.0.1180.81 (Linux: Xubuntu 12.04).

EDIT: It started crashing a lot, so I rebooted the computer. Now it's fixed somehow :psyduck:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 24, 2012

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut to escape a text box? For example, when you do a Google search the focus automatically jumps to the search box. Is there a keyboard equivalent of clicking on a blank space on the page, so that you can scroll with spacebar and navigate forwards/backwards with backspace and shift+backspace?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

coffeetable posted:

Does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut to escape a text box? For example, when you do a Google search the focus automatically jumps to the search box. Is there a keyboard equivalent of clicking on a blank space on the page, so that you can scroll with spacebar and navigate forwards/backwards with backspace and shift+backspace?

Would tab do it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Every single plugin is failing for me/can't load in google chrome 22.0.1229.14 beta. Has anyone else had this problem?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

OK, here's a fun one. When you go to bookmark a page, you get to type a name and choose a folder, right? What I don't understand is how it chooses to populate the list of folders to choose from (the seven or so listed above "Choose Another Folder"). I feel like older versions of Chrome chose the folders I used most often, so eventually I only had to select from the list, but recently, it seems like those seven are chosen pretty much at random, and almost never chooses folders that I ever use for anything. This has persisted across a couple installs and clean profiles, so I have no idea what's going on. Anyone else know what I'm talking about and run into this?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Every single plugin is failing for me/can't load in google chrome 22.0.1229.14 beta. Has anyone else had this problem?

Here's the log

code:
[1973:-1401992664:85394394165418:ERROR:webplugin_impl.cc(269)] Couldn't initialize plug-in		

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 29, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jesus is there a setting or an extension or something that removes close buttons from tabs? I keep accidentally closing them and it's a nuisance.

conscript salad
Oct 5, 2005
I am not allowed to post outside of CC or repsnake will hurt me.
Version 21.0.1180.89 m

Is anyone else getting redirect notices when clicking GIS results? I've done some research on Google Help Groups but can't seem to come up with a cause or fix. And Google's stance since it it first started (earliest 2010)is "We're looking into it." I'm not sure if this a Chrome issue or Google search issue or maybe a combination of both but I use GIS quite a bit and those extra clicks are starting to get tedious.

I've cleared my cache and browser history and TDsSKiller didn't find anything so I'm really at a loss here.

This paired with the terrible Omnibox auto-complete has become a real hindrance on browsing for me. I don't want to go back to Opera but if these issues keep compounding with no resolution, I really don't see a choice.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
Using Chrome 21.0.1180.89 on OS X Mountain Lion.

Ever since updating Chrome, my Facebook chat keeps asking me to scroll down to see new messages and doesn't automatically scroll down for me. This does not happen on Firefox or Safari, just Chrome. Any ideas for a fix for this? Sorry if this has been asked before!

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.
Sorry if someone has already asked this, I tried skimming the thread but everything started to blend together around page 13.

I'm loving Chrome so far, but what I miss most about Firefox is the Tab Mix Plus extension I had that allowed me to reopen closed tabs. I know that there's an option for reopening closed tabs in Chrome, but it only allows me to reopen one tab at a time and Tab Mix Plus used to give me a list. I've tried finding something similar in the Chrome store but I can't find anything. Do you guys know of anything?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I haven't used it but something like this perhaps?
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ikfbchidonfnclempkcojlpijhmoalhi?hl=en-GB

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The new tab page also shows recently closed tabs, if that's helpful.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Speed Dial 2 does recently closed tabs, as well as being a hands down more useful replacement to the new tab page.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.
I didn't know about the recently closed tabs option on the new tab page, thanks for pointing that out. I'll check out the other two apps and see how those go. Thanks a lot guys!

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
Is anybody getting an issue in Chrome (version 21.0.1180.89) where sometimes spaces are replaced by the number the 3 in text? This is on Windows XP and my Google Fu is failing me.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

FistLips posted:

Using Chrome 21.0.1180.89 on OS X Mountain Lion.

Ever since updating Chrome, my Facebook chat keeps asking me to scroll down to see new messages and doesn't automatically scroll down for me. This does not happen on Firefox or Safari, just Chrome. Any ideas for a fix for this? Sorry if this has been asked before!

Does this happen in Incognito mode?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

It's over 1½ years old now, but I only just today discovered this comment to the Chromium issue about type-ahead find:

quote:

The rest: Apparently leaving comments open on this bug has given some of you the misimpression that adding comments is going to influence us to add the feature to Chrome. I don't mind people commenting but, I think it's wrong for people to get their hopes up about something that isn't going to happen, or spend lots of time exhorting others to "influence" our UI team in ways that we're not actually paying attention to (e.g. star counts on WontFixed bugs). Accordingly, I'm closing this to further comments by non-committers.

We understand that FAYT is a useful feature for a lot of you and you really like it. For people who have said they prefer Firefox to Chrome for this reason: it is completely reasonable for you to use Firefox -- or any other browser -- instead of Chrome, for whatever reason you wish. Multiple browsers exist partly because not everyone is the same and not everyone is well-served by a single product -- Chrome not excepted.

I also appreciate the earlier comments that there's currently an extension to add something like this, which (to reiterate) you can find at https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cpecbmjeidppdiampimghndkikcmoadk . If you want to continue to use Chrome perhaps that will be of use. We're always happy for people to write extensions, as that's the best way for us to meet the needs of smaller-but-dedicated user groups like all of you in cases where the core product is suboptimal.

To sum, you are welcome to continue starring this bug if you wish, but there won't be further activity on it and we have no plans to ever add FAYT to the core product.
Am I justified in calling this guy an rear end in a top hat? I know I have no say in what they're doing with their product, but we're talking about a feature here that can be completely toggled on and off, and for a lot of people makes or breaks the browser. It is impossible to implement it properly via an extension. Here's this guy shooting it down, mostly due to some irrational hatred towards the feature or something, and telling us that he's happy to show us the door and let us use Firefox if we miss the feature so much. What kind of attitude is that? I know implementing and maintaining features isn't free, but this just pisses me off.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pilsner posted:

It's over 1½ years old now, but I only just today discovered this comment to the Chromium issue about type-ahead find:

Am I justified in calling this guy an rear end in a top hat? I know I have no say in what they're doing with their product, but we're talking about a feature here that can be completely toggled on and off, and for a lot of people makes or breaks the browser. It is impossible to implement it properly via an extension. Here's this guy shooting it down, mostly due to some irrational hatred towards the feature or something, and telling us that he's happy to show us the door and let us use Firefox if we miss the feature so much. What kind of attitude is that? I know implementing and maintaining features isn't free, but this just pisses me off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on a quick Google search this is basically just like using control-f to search for something but without having to hit control-f first? Sounds like a pretty trivial thing to get fired up over.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I went back a couple of pages but didn't see anything about a download manager for Chrome. My connection sucks, and if I start downloading multiple things at once they'll all eventually time out. I'd like the ability to queue up a few things and have them DL one at a time, but Chrome doesn't seem to be able to do it natively (that I found). I'm on Win7 and About Chrome tells me I'm using Version 22.0.1229.26 beta-m.

Any ideas?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

I went back a couple of pages but didn't see anything about a download manager for Chrome. My connection sucks, and if I start downloading multiple things at once they'll all eventually time out. I'd like the ability to queue up a few things and have them DL one at a time, but Chrome doesn't seem to be able to do it natively (that I found). I'm on Win7 and About Chrome tells me I'm using Version 22.0.1229.26 beta-m.

Any ideas?

I am pretty sure chrome doesn't natively support this. Something like jdownloader, free download manager or something like that would work.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pilsner posted:

Am I justified in calling this guy an rear end in a top hat?

No. That was a reasonable and courteous response.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Features aren't free; they cost programmer time to implement and to maintain.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Of course they're not, but the whole point of software is that it does something useful.

When I look at Chrome's settings, there's a fair amount of advanced and/or specific tweaks that only very few people will care about. For example, the developer debugging mode. Yet they single out type-ahead search as something useless. It also seems to be very tailored for the whole Google everything setup, with a Google Account, integration with all sorts of Google services, and more. Not that I mind their services, but it might become too much at some point.

Thermopyle posted:

No. That was a reasonable and courteous response.

I dunno, it seemed a bit smug to me, particularly the part where he said that they didn't give a crap that people starred the issue. I guess I'm biased because I would like to give Chrome a shot, but I won't because of that feature missing.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 7, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pilsner posted:

I dunno, it seemed a bit smug to me, particularly the part where he said that they didn't give a crap that people starred the issue. I guess I'm biased because I would like to give Chrome a shot, but I won't because of that feature missing.

It wasn't. You just feel that way because you want the feature. They're not interested in implementing it and they want to manage people's expectation wrt starring a WontFix issue.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

It wasn't. You just feel that way because you want the feature. They're not interested in implementing it and they want to manage people's expectation wrt starring a WontFix issue.

Me = :qq: :goonsay: :argh: :ssj:

I guess I can hope for a modified source build some day that implements it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

I'm still a bit confused about what makes this feature so important that it's actually a deal breaker for some people? I understood the outrage over side tab removal, but the functional difference between having and not having this feature is literally one keystroke :confused:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Aw man, are vertical tabs definitely not something Chrome can support? I'd been trying it out the last week or until Firefox sorted out its poo poo with Youtube videos and for some better support on a few websites, but if my side tabs are out I'm probably going to switch back. :(

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

crazysim posted:

Does this happen in Incognito mode?

Just checked - yes, same problem. Also just talked to a friend having the same problem in Chrome on Windows, but not in Ubuntu.
Perhaps I just need to wait for an update and it wil magically be fixed?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Do I need to reinstall Chrome or is this poo poo something like spyware?

Since the last update with goddamn AVG SafeSecure, my issues are twofold:

1. When I type anything into the general search toolbar from an empty tab, nothing loads period. Then the page will load after a minute or two to the basic google search page and I have to reenter the information again.

2. Standard tabs open are Hotmail, the forums, a fish forum, and Facebook. In between Shockwave crashing every five loving minutes now, if I am on, say, the forums, and go to click on another tab, suddenly the tab closes out and opens in a new window.

And everything is loading REALLY slowly. I've been leaving everything closed on the computer when it's a break time, but that doesn't seem to help, and restarting the computer does poo poo all either.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Disable the AVG extension for Chrome, see if that changes anything.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Tried that, but AVG isn't listed anywhere under my Chrome settings.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Did you check about:plugins?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Simple question that I can't even conceptualize the name of the feature:

I'm finding that whenever I open a video file link in Chrome, it immediately loads the video in-browser. I want it to load with the default media player on my computer. How do I do that, and where is the option?

EDIT: Disabling the VLC plugin kinda works, in that it defaults to SAVING media files. But this isn't want I want. I want to click a video link, and have it come up with MPC or whatever.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 9, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

Simple question that I can't even conceptualize the name of the feature:

I'm finding that whenever I open a video file link in Chrome, it immediately loads the video in-browser. I want it to load with the default media player on my computer. How do I do that, and where is the option?

EDIT: Disabling the VLC plugin kinda works, in that it defaults to SAVING media files. But this isn't want I want. I want to click a video link, and have it come up with MPC or whatever.

The name of the feature would be file associations, or equal to Firefox's "Applications" tab in the Options pane. A quick look at Chrome's options indicates that you can only chose to nuke the whole mapping you've set up under Settings->Show Advanced-> click Clear auto-opening settings. You should then be prompted the next time you click a video (or click the little arrow on the download box at the bottom, then choose).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

I am pretty sure chrome doesn't natively support this. Something like jdownloader, free download manager or something like that would work.

I looked at both of these before realizing they were separate applications from Chrome and not extensions. I figured there would be an extension out there somewhere, but apparently not. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks for the help, though. :)

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Is the right-click GIS extension broken for anyone else? Running on beta.

Edit: Never mind. Reinstalling the extension fixed it.

Another edit: Sigh, reinstalling only fixes it while chrome is running. If I quit chrome and restart, right-click GIS is broken again. Reinstalling is the only thing that seems to fix it. Anyone else?

Gherkin Jerkin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Mak0rz posted:

Jesus is there a setting or an extension or something that removes close buttons from tabs? I keep accidentally closing them and it's a nuisance.

If you ever find one, please post this pretty regularly drives me insane.