Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Carecat posted:

Is there any reason not to take dual wield if you intend to go melee and not use shields?

Unarmed and block-heavy builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Wasn't a patch supposed to come out on monday? What happened to that?

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I've had a relatively bug-free Dredmorin' experience but I just lost two characters in relatively quick succession to the Rutabaga and the Multihit bug, both of which I'd never hit before. Come on Monday!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Psalmanazar posted:

Vegan is great because it completely removes any need for holy resistance and almost all problems with corruption and food stealing. It doesn't really give much benefit to casters though.

How does Vegan help with equipment corruption?

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Finally got to floor 8 tonight. This run has had some bizarre-rear end luck: 6 out of my first 7 trips to the anvil resulted in curses, followed by Krong granting me +2 mana regen and a lutefisk shrine giving me another artifact that does the same. I have no idea how I'm going to deal with floor 9 though. My build is Staves/Fleshcrafting/Mathemagic/Promethian/Magic Training/Burglary/Alchemy, and I've been leaning on Tactical Pyre pretty hard as my go-to damage, since Recursive Curse still costs too much to use on every monster. I suppose I could dump all my points on this level into fleshcrafting to get corpse explosion, but it seems like a waste.

Also, if I install RotDG before I descend to floor 10, will I get the additional floors, or do I have to have it from the start?

You have to enable RotDG floors from the start - characters created before the expansion's acquisition will have their games still end at floor 10.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

JosephWongKS posted:

How does Vegan help with equipment corruption?

No more magic dragons or weird diggles. They're two of the biggest sources of corruption.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shwqa posted:

Passive stats bonuses only get added if you wield the correct weapons (and are double if you wield two). Only active skills help out other weapons.

Are you sure? I seem to recall someone earlier in the thread saying the opposite was true.

Samopsa posted:

Killer vegan is the best Archery skill. The penalties don't apply when you range-kill an enemy.

I've never tried an archery character where archery was the sole means of attack. How does maintaining bolts go? I never seem to pick up enough to think I'd be able to kill all the monsters in the dungeon with them.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
If you get tinkering and perception you will have bolts coming out of your nose in no time, and awesome bows. Also, with killer vegan maxed first you can pretty much beat anything to a pulp in the first few levels with even the crappiest gear. Add in burglary for free bolts to steal from vending machines, buy everything at the crafting machines to make more bolts, and yeah, no problems. Wear +damage items (also works with weapons) to increase xbow damage. More damage->less bolts used.

It does become a inventory hog because of all the different kinds of bolts though. That's what the pocket dimension is for!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Is the naginata recipe bugged or did I just get lucky. I could've sworn it took took at a Katana to build (especially since it mentions katana in the description), but when I double checked the recipe all it took was a Dao.

Don't get me wrong, it's great, but feels a bit easy to be able to get a max stars polearm within the first two floors easily.

Also, rocking Defensive stance with two Iron Thorn rings is pretty ridiculous. I'm clocking somewhere in 80 block and 40 counterstrike with my current setup.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Is the naginata recipe bugged or did I just get lucky. I could've sworn it took took at a Katana to build (especially since it mentions katana in the description), but when I double checked the recipe all it took was a Dao.

Don't get me wrong, it's great, but feels a bit easy to be able to get a max stars polearm within the first two floors easily.
It can also be built with an Iron Sword instead of the Dao, needing an Iron ingot less to make from scratch.
And it doesn't feel like a max stars weapon atthat. It does belong in in the upper half, though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

FrickenMoron posted:

They never said which Monday!

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

The hot fix corrects it back to a Katana and a hefty stick.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't understand how I died there.

I was running from a Named Rutabaga and the game decided to skip quite a few of my turns and let the Rutabaga catch up three steps and get a couple attacks in.

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

Met posted:

I was running from a Named Rutabaga and the game decided to skip quite a few of my turns and let the Rutabaga catch up three steps and get a couple attacks in.

Rutabagas have a charge attack that looks like they're moving several turns at once. It is currently bugged to possibly infect you with 8x or so a bad status that can lower your max health as well as do damage and murder you really hard.

The next patch will fix this. Not sure when it's dropping.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

E: ^Damnit! :argh:

Met posted:

The Rutabaga monsters and fruit tree monster seem to have a charge attack that let them move 3 steps at a time in a straight line.
I assume it's intended since i sidestepped it once and it then moved past me and impacted on a wall, taking damage and got stunned.

Their animation also slightly shows them using it, since when they initiate the charge, they do a little (very quick) jump in the air and wiggle their legs animation, before they come at you.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, if I install RotDG before I descend to floor 10, will I get the additional floors, or do I have to have it from the start?
No, dreadmor will still be at floor 10. You get to select if you want a 10 or 15 floor game at the start of a character.

Also at Met, yes passive bonus for weapon only exist when you wield the correct weapon. Try out a dual wield sword build sometime. You get massive counter, but if you remove a sword you lose it.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 21, 2012

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

More surprise fixes, we're really close though!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

VietTam posted:

Rutabagas have a charge attack that looks like they're moving several turns at once. It is currently bugged to possibly infect you with 8x or so a bad status that can lower your max health as well as do damage and murder you really hard.

The next patch will fix this. Not sure when it's dropping.

Ssthalar posted:

The Rutabaga monsters and fruit tree monster seem to have a charge attack that let them move 3 steps at a time in a straight line.
I assume it's intended since i sidestepped it once and it then moved past me and impacted on a wall, taking damage and got stunned.

Their animation also slightly shows them using it, since when they initiate the charge, they do a little (very quick) jump in the air and wiggle their legs animation, before they come at you.

It must hit like a truck to do 15ish damage to me on floor 3.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

The hot fix corrects it back to a Katana and a hefty stick.

That must be why. I used a hotfix to fix my game from not letting me use stairs. Must've reverted back to a previous version. Oh well, I'd already made a katana in preperation, so call it even.

Here's a question: I have a full plate armor ready to craft into its final form. What do most people go for? Clockwork armor? Boilerplate? Communist?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Dumbest death ever..clicked to pick up some food on the run right as my pet dragon moved into that square. I hit him, he countered and killed me :haw: Permadeath, of course.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sloppy posted:

Dumbest death ever..clicked to pick up some food on the run right as my pet dragon moved into that square. I hit him, he countered and killed me :haw: Permadeath, of course.

There should totally be an achievement for that. "Die to your own tame monster".

Met posted:

It must hit like a truck to do 15ish damage to me on floor 3.

The debuff gives you -8 Max HP, and as stated can and will stack due to bugs. Thus they might only do like 5 or 6 damage, but you'd still lose 30 HP from debuffs.

Thundercracker posted:

Here's a question: I have a full plate armor ready to craft into its final form. What do most people go for? Clockwork armor? Boilerplate? Communist?

Usually it's easier to find Clockwork Armor/Imperial Boilerplate on later floors, meaning the Serpentine Embossed is an easy way to spruce up your existing suit. Your mileage may vary and all, of course.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

I usually start with boilerplate and upgrade to clockwork later. Resistances are all-important and boilerplate easily wins there, but once you get an aethernaut helm you probably don't need to stack any additional toxic/asphyixiative resist anyhow.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

That must be why. I used a hotfix to fix my game from not letting me use stairs. Must've reverted back to a previous version. Oh well, I'd already made a katana in preperation, so call it even.

I tend to go for the resist. By at time you probably have 100 block and over 15 aa (with 100 block you only need that much to block all non exotic damage), so you are only looking at if you want melee power or resist. I go for the resist to make spells hurt me less.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So, I could use some input for a melee build with realy high counter.
Obviously Swords/dual/pirate but what other skills do give a good counter bonus, or what other skills would benefit such a build?

There's just so many. :staredog:

And on another note, drat corruption. As I understand it, it will ruin your affected artifacts over time and so far only Flames of the Heckforge can cure it. I used to deal with dragons&blobs using ranged attacks and un-equipping my nice artifacts if they get close. Kind of a hassle to play like that.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Obviously Swords/dual/pirate but what other skills do give a good counter bonus, or what other skills would benefit such a build?

Artful Dodge's first buyable skill gives a ~25% chance to turn a dodge into a counter. With the ~25 dodge the tree gives you, that's an effective ~6 counter on top of the dodge, not to mention the always-nice Knightly Leap.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tin Tim posted:

And on another note, drat corruption. As I understand it, it will ruin your affected artifacts over time and so far only Flames of the Heckforge can cure it. I used to deal with dragons&blobs using ranged attacks and un-equipping my nice artifacts if they get close. Kind of a hassle to play like that.

According to the wiki, Counter Chance is calculated from both Caddishness and Nimbleness (in equal contributions). Burglary and Artful Dodger both have Nimbleness bonuses when you level them (+6 total on each when maxed out, though increasing at different rates). Assassination has a slight Nimbleness bonus and its increased Critical Hit rate might also apply to counters? Berserker also has a buff that procs when you're hit, I don't know if that applies to counters.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 21, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tin Tim posted:

If you're looking for native Counter (ie not abusing Swashbuckling), then I'd suggest Werediggle as something to use with it; the diggle form bonuses put a LOT of power behind your attacks, and unlike most Warrior-aligned things, it doesn't nerf your Nimbleness into the basement. In addition, the counter-boosting buffs from Swords and Dual are proc-based, meaning Werediggle can use them just fine.

Likewise, avoid heavy armors and builds that benefit from them (Clockwork Knight, Master of Arms, Shield-Bearer).

Artful Dodger, in addition to increasing your Nimbleness (which will increase your counter rate), also has a skill that (apparently) changes dodges into counters. Rogue Scientist has a skill that occasionally lets your counters hit all four tiles bordering you, which is useful if you find yourself surrounded, but is rarely necessary.

Past that, all I can recommend is: Prioritize Rogue skills, avoid anything that lowers Nimbleness or Caddishness.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Started three games today, all ended between floors 2-4 with crashes to desktop when I try to go into the Pocket Dimension/go down stairs :sigh:

Which of the hotfixes should I use, or would it be better to wait until the official patch?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks for the skill input, I'll try that on my next run and let you know how it went. :)
I also think I will throw smithing into the mix, for some burliness and because it's awesome.

Still, no tips on corruption?

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Met posted:

Are you sure? I seem to recall someone earlier in the thread saying the opposite was true.

The passive bonuses from the Spear and Dagger lines are being added to non-spear/dagger weapons, but that's getting fixed in the patch.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

If you're looking for native Counter (ie not abusing Swashbuckling), then I'd suggest Werediggle as something to use with it; the diggle form bonuses put a LOT of power behind your attacks, and unlike most Warrior-aligned things, it doesn't nerf your Nimbleness into the basement. In addition, the counter-boosting buffs from Swords and Dual are proc-based, meaning Werediggle can use them just fine.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here--going Werediggle means giving up +35 passive counter from swords and dual wield, which is an astronomically silly amount. Damage output is also generally less important for a counter build since your ability to kill things quickly is not going to be as much a matter of life or death as it is for conventional melee builds (and your damage output will be pretty decent to begin with just because of dual wield.)

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

So I found a fun bug!

Its pretty easy, have a wyvern pet out and then go to your pocket dimension. Save the game and quit. Load your save, exit the pocket dimension, summon another wyvern. Gonna roll floor 3 4 deep with my wyvern bros. :hist101:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Ignore me I am retarded.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 22, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm not sure I follow your logic here--going Werediggle means giving up +35 passive counter from swords and dual wield, which is an astronomically silly amount. Damage output is also generally less important for a counter build since your ability to kill things quickly is not going to be as much a matter of life or death as it is for conventional melee builds (and your damage output will be pretty decent to begin with just because of dual wield.)

Yeah, I had a retarded moment there. Disregard it; I forgot that the passive bonuses from skill levels get nulled by polymorph too, not just the active skills. :saddowns:

Really? Steam isn't downloading anything, and there's no word on the Gaslamp Twitter.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 22, 2012

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, I had a retarded moment there. Disregard it; I forgot that the passive bonuses from skill levels get nulled by polymorph too, not just the active skills. :saddowns:

Really? Steam isn't downloading anything, and there's no word on the Gaslamp Twitter.

I guess not, Steam downloaded 83.3 MB of something on my laptop just now but it says v1.1.1 so maybe it was my savegame from my other computer?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Chic Trombone posted:

Started three games today, all ended between floors 2-4 with crashes to desktop when I try to go into the Pocket Dimension/go down stairs :sigh:

Which of the hotfixes should I use, or would it be better to wait until the official patch?

http://patches.gaslampgames.com/dredmor/dredmor_hotfix_final_v5.zip

Yes, final v5. We're really really close!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Carecat posted:

Is there any reason not to take dual wield if you intend to go melee and not use shields?

Orbs and books are neat. Books moreso then orbs.

KataraniSword posted:

There should totally be an achievement for that. "Die to your own tame monster".

"You only hurt the ones you love." - Die to your own tamed/charmed monster.
Cmon Gaslamp, you know you wanna. :getin:

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
So, repeatedly using Diminuating Calculus on an enemy seems to prevent them from moving. You have to do it quickly, so you activate the second one before the first animation ends. Just mashing on the button works but the animation is long enough that you can slow it down and watch for other things attacking you. I assume this is a bug.

In any case Math, Leylines, Archery, Rogue Science, Tinkering, Alchemy, and Dodging seems like a really good build. Easily the most fun character I've played, you have a lot of options, a use for almost every item, and great skill synergies. Teleport and crossbows will see you through the first few levels even on Going Rogue, leylines and calculus takes out small numbers of enemies easily, and I can't wait to rocket boot my way to 100% dodge combined with turning dodges into counters and the all around counter proc.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there a bug with the Unfriendly A.I mob types? They suddenly seem unkillable, and I swear I was actually healing it with my attacks at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Shwqa posted:

No, dreadmor will still be at floor 10. You get to select if you want a 10 or 15 floor game at the start of a character.

Not really sure what this means. Is Dredmor on floor 10 but you can go deeper, or is he only on floor 10 if you uncheck the Realm of the Diggle Gods expansion?

And if he's on floor 10 of the 15-floor option, can you just ignore the dude? Because I think that'd be for the best.

• Locked thread