Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Anyone tried to ABC with a human vanguard on gold since the change? I could actually do ok (and by ok I mean not just end up wiped all the time) by selectively charging on gold pre-change but it also ruins the fun that is the human vanguard rhythm game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I saw a post confirming that it was real and put up early by mistake. They're not going to be saying anything more about until tomorrow at the usual time.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Zuriel147 posted:

After great success with the Turian Sentinel, I am going to ask for another set of tips for the human vanguard - the one with the whips - I figure I should be using the biotic charge to get in close, then shotgun, then smash and biotic charge again to set off BEs?

The character seems cool enough, but I am not sure it suits my playstyle. Which of his abilities sets off BEs (presume lash), and what would be a good build here?

I've got nothing to do for an hour, so heres a thing:

Pumpkings Mini-guide to the Cerbguard/Cerbdept

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#54RPRFF@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

This build is just an outline to give you ideas. My playstyle for the vanguard and adept are broadly similar. If you have good shield gear you can spec more into passive power damage and less into fitness. Any guns you use should leave you with a high power cooldown, ideally above 150%. A good pistol or the piranha will serve you well. Whatever you do, smash should be your main power. It works great on anything but is brutal against armor so is very good for bosses. Lash is good for disabling small stuff at range, and the shield penetration at rank 6 is a necessity for this reason.

Common Powers:
Smash hits very hard and goes through walls so you should be abusing it endlessly. It can be specced either way at rank 4 but I find tech damage the more useful evolution. Randoms tend use tech powers more than biotics in my experience so you will get more combos. The animation is pretty long and although you can cancel it by dodge rolling it will still leave you vulnerable and believe me, its pretty embarrassing to get killed while you're flopping your whips out. You need to give some thought to your positioning vs where enemies are so you can keep safe on one side of a wall or obstacle while still causing a lot of pain to the shmucks on the other side. Smash is a great power especially now that electric/biotic slash have been nerfed a bit. Unlike the slashes it also goes wherever you point the crosshair so you can aim down a ramp or onto a platform above you. I'm pretty sure slashes are different in that they are limited to firing straight in front of you or at least at a shallower angle than smash allows but dont quote me on that (I think I read it in this thread a while back).

Lash is a pretty sweet power too. You NEED rank 6 shield piercing as most of its utility comes from making a mockery of marauders, centurions and geth rocket troopers. Its also good for getting nemeses to keep still and locking down phantoms and geth hunters. Once you lash an enemy over to you (while screaming get over here) either smash them for an explosion or just shoot them.

Class Specifics:
I'm comitting sacrilege here when I say you shouldn't Always Be Charging as a cerbguard. Charge is used to set off explosions or to refill your barriers/escape in an emergency. Your main power should always be smash. You can make an ABC build if you dont like smashing all day by speccing into melee on the fitness tree. Cerbguards heavy melee is pretty good and charge followed by heavy melee is well worth a try and will wreck bronze and silver, but you cant really make it work on gold or plat. I haven't tried out charge since the buff though so I dunno, maybe its amazing now.

Cerbdept has singularity instead of charge. Singularity is not worth taking to 6 (or maybe at all) so you can take more fitness/power damage options. The lack of charge means you're less survivable overall than the vanguard though.

As for combos, smash will prime either biotic explosions or tech bursts depending on which evolution you take at rank 4, and will detonate biotic explosions regardless. Lash will prime biotic explosions on stuff it has an effect on (not armor) and lash and charge will detonate either combo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'd say Revenant until you get a Warfighter gear levelled up enough to give 2 grenades. The Revenant works well enough without a need for a +damage gear or amps as long as you put EB and an ammo power on it. The Typhoon is about as powerful as an equivalent level Revenant once it's ramped up so it needs more things to boost its damage at a low level.
Its significantly more powerful than an equivalent level Revenant if the damage modifiers and damage increase when ramped up are to be believed.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Ravenfood posted:

Its significantly more powerful than an equivalent level Revenant if the damage modifiers and damage increase when ramped up are to be believed.

From my experience the bonus multipliers seem to be buggy. Sometimes they don't appear to work and other times I'm melting armor, shields and barriers like crazy.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Pumpking posted:

Pumpkings Mini-guide to the Cerbguard/Cerbdept

This is really well written but you have the electric damage evolution selected for smash and that's just wrong. If you don't take the force and damage option you won't be able to prime a biotic explosion with Smash. If you want to prime tech bursts use disruptor ammo on play a class with overload/shield drain.

If you're not priming biotic explosions with every smash you're doing it wrong.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

So, I took some advice in this thread and respecced my Demolisher to pick up radius and DoT evolutions on my grenades. I also started using the Geth Plasma Shotgun. This is fun, and it's fun in a completely different way from my Fury. This game rocks, and Tech Bursts are just as crazy as BEs. But, the sound of a biotic explosion is much cooler. :colbert:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh, one thing to add to the "do not kill" list, along with things a Vorcha or Krogan is targeting. Don't drop primers on anything inside a Fury's Field. When the Fury throws it'll detonate the tech burst and not the BE from the Field, meaning the Fury probably doesn't get shields back. With how fragile they are, this can pretty much kill them, especially since Tech Bursts don't seem to stagger as well as BEs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Oh, one thing to add to the "do not kill" list, along with things a Vorcha or Krogan is targeting. Don't drop primers on anything inside a Fury's Field. When the Fury throws it'll detonate the tech burst and not the BE from the Field, meaning the Fury probably doesn't get shields back. With how fragile they are, this can pretty much kill them, especially since Tech Bursts don't seem to stagger as well as BEs.

So a biotic primer will get replaced by a tech primer, but then a biotic detonator will cause a tech burst? I thought some things could be both primers and detonators.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

TheDK posted:

Sorry to whoever was just playing with me, I was dropped from the server. And I was hosting.

:negative:

Oh, didn't know you were a goon. That was on Vancouver right?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Lagomorphic posted:

This is really well written but you have the electric damage evolution selected for smash and that's just wrong. If you don't take the force and damage option you won't be able to prime a biotic explosion with Smash. If you want to prime tech bursts use disruptor ammo on play a class with overload/shield drain.

If you're not priming biotic explosions with every smash you're doing it wrong.

I wouldn't say the choice was that clear cut but I get where you're coming from.

Thing is, pretty much any power you care to name that does damage will set off a tech burst but you specifically need a biotic power as a detonator for a biotic explosion. In a random game with an uncoordinated team you are much more likely to get combos from random team mate power spam with the tech evolution. The extra damage over time is actually pretty nice too when you're the main damage dealer, which you likely will be.

A fun thing to try is taking tech damage at 4 and armor damage at 6, and teaming up with a demolisher who has also taken armor damage at 6 for arc grenades. Combos all over the place, and armor bars may as well not be there.

Gimmicky hijinks aside, in a game with friends where you have a reliable detonator the biotic evolution is better. Of course you can also self detonate, but that leaves less time for the smashin.

Ravenfood posted:

I had a guy following me around spamming energy drain on everything I was trying to kill a few days ago. Energy drain is the worst enemy of the Fury. I need those shields to live you butt! Stop draining them you're not helping :mad:

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Man, at this point I wish they would un-nerf the Falcon. It had the highest DPS at launch, but now those values would only be good enough for 6th place just among ARs.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Gestalt Intellect posted:

So a biotic primer will get replaced by a tech primer, but then a biotic detonator will cause a tech burst? I thought some things could be both primers and detonators.

Yes, except it gets stacked, not replaced. Another important thing to remember is that while biotic detonators can trigger tech bursts, tech detonators cannot trigger biotic explosions. If we take an example of Warp->Overload, what the target now has on it is a biotic primer hidden under a tech primer. One Throw will cause a tech burst, while a second Throw will trigger the previously stacked-over Warp primer and cause a biotic explosion (providing its duration has not expired before then, but when we're talking Throw, it really shouldn't). Meanwhile, if the sequence had gone Overload->Warp->Throw->Throw, all you'd get is a Tech Burst off the first two abilities and a couple of normal Throws (providing again that the tech primer had not expired; if it had, you'd instead get a biotic explosion as Warp would have applied as a primer instead of a detonator).

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Rick posted:

Anyone tried to ABC with a human vanguard on gold since the change? I could actually do ok (and by ok I mean not just end up wiped all the time) by selectively charging on gold pre-change but it also ruins the fun that is the human vanguard rhythm game.

No but I was playing my Slayer earlier and you can now stagger phantoms on gold even with the area charge evolution. So there's at least one major boost to Vanguards.

In other news the Locust is still poo poo. I had to run it on a Kroguard just to stay alive long enough to kill an assault trooper with it. It does apply ammo powers at a very good rate though so the potential is there if they keep buffing the damage.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

jpmeyer posted:

Man, at this point I wish they would un-nerf the Falcon. It had the highest DPS at launch, but now those values would only be good enough for 6th place just among ARs.
The Falcon is AoE, I think it's just right where it is. The Krysae sucks out loud now though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Did a gold round with my Kroguard earlier. Pretty drat good. Anyone got a build for it?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

God I love how easy it is to annihilate phantoms as Fury. They're still kinda bullshit with how they're more dangerous than an Atlas at range while moving quickly on top of a melee one-shot, but Dark Channel was pretty much custom made to gently caress them. Pretty good odds of being able to instantly finish them with a Throw-detonated BE once their barriers are down too.

I really don't feel like playing any other classes right now, which is a first. My Mantis has gone up to VII though so I may try my cryo blast-obsessed human infiltrator again once it comes close to hitting X.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Two Finger posted:

Did a gold round with my Kroguard earlier. Pretty drat good. Anyone got a build for it?

The two main points are

- Skip Carnage. ABC.
- Rage is bugged. You get the passive bonuses, but not the additional bonus to damage reduction or melee. It can still be worth taking the Melee damage bonuses.

I would use something like this (I picked a Piranha VI because that's what I've got). Rage 4 and 6 are definitely up for debate, but the rest I'm fairly comfortable with.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Yes, except it gets stacked, not replaced. Another important thing to remember is that while biotic detonators can trigger tech bursts, tech detonators cannot trigger biotic explosions. If we take an example of Warp->Overload, what the target now has on it is a biotic primer hidden under a tech primer. One Throw will cause a tech burst, while a second Throw will trigger the previously stacked-over Warp primer and cause a biotic explosion (providing its duration has not expired before then, but when we're talking Throw, it really shouldn't). Meanwhile, if the sequence had gone Overload->Warp->Throw->Throw, all you'd get is a Tech Burst off the first two abilities and a couple of normal Throws (providing again that the tech primer had not expired; if it had, you'd instead get a biotic explosion as Warp would have applied as a primer instead of a detonator).
This. Under normal circumstances, Overlord away, because any smart biotic user is going to see the Tech Burst and just launch another Throw. But when the Fury is constantly about to die and is counting on both the stagger and the drain, for the love of god, leave them alone.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

God I love how easy it is to annihilate phantoms as Fury. They're still kinda bullshit with how they're more dangerous than an Atlas at range while moving quickly on top of a melee one-shot, but Dark Channel was pretty much custom made to gently caress them. Pretty good odds of being able to instantly finish them with a Throw-detonated BE once their barriers are down too.
Furies just loving eat Phantoms. DC on one, charge the other and two Throws with a couple of Hurricane bullets later, its dead. DC should have killed the other about now, if not, a Throw should finish it off. Unlike my Kroguard, which gets insta-stabbed out of a charge once, has a charge flat-out blocked because it put up its bullshit shield thanks to someone else spamming warp at it, or gets stabbed out of a hmelee charge.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've discovered something: there's no maximum height to the extraction circle. I vanguard glitched off into the sky and still managed to get on the shuttle.

Anyway. Feel free to slap me down here since I know some of you are more in the know than I, I just figured this needed doing:

Insert spike A into enemy B: a short guide to Batarian Soldier.

First, a note: I've never run BatSol on platinum, though I find him one of the more reliable classes for gold. Anyway, abilities:

Ballistic Blades: your bread and butter. Solid damage but more importantly, they'll stagger almost anything, up to and including Primes on gold (point-blank only). The force and damage fall off sharply the further away from the target you get and the max range (even with the upgrade) is pretty wimpy. When a target is in range, the icon in your toolbar will go white- it's a great way to gauge initially, though after you play him enough you should be able to do it by eye. Ballistic blades will not go through cover, though they will go through enemies to hit every enemy in their cone. Get the cone upgrade.

Blade Armour: boring but dependable. Melee damage dealt to you is returned to who dealt it, though you will still take full damage. Also has small DR, buffs your melee damage and increases cooldowns. Human-sized enemies who melee you will be staggered. Enemies do actually melee you quite a lot, which I didn't realise until I started playing the class. Grabs do not count as melee attacks, so watch out!

Inferno Grenade: You've seen these before. Terrible damage upfront, amazing DoT that gives them the highest damage potential of any grenade in the game (I think).

750 health & shields base, slightly faster run speed than a human, ridiculously powerful heavy melee that gives you some huge DR while the animation is playing. The DR is so high (75%, maybe?) that teaming up with an Asari Justicar's bubble will make you indestructible while punching. Can't dodge and does get staggered.

My current build: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#14PFFOKY9@0EE@@M4N4@0@0

Weapons: I like the graal, mostly for thematic consistency and the lovely whump it makes on firing. It also gives you some reach that the class otherwise sorely lacks. The Geth Plasma Shotgun is also a good choice.

Your strength is crowd control; use your blades to stunlock groups of enemies so your team can deal with the bigger guys. Stick with your team and use your stagger to stop them from getting mobbed and give everyone a bit more breathing room. You excel on smaller maps with tight corridors (so, Glacier) where you can get the jump on a group of enemies and keep them pinned down with blades while you go to town with melee. The stagger will give you the time you need to get in there and beat face. Against medium-strength enemies (pyros, centurions etc), a single round of blades and a heavy melee should kill them. If it doesn't, you've knocked them back long enough for a second round of blades, which will. Know your limits though, don't rambo off and expect to punch an entire spawn to death on your own: even with the DR, you'll go down pretty quickly on gold.

Against bosses, heavy melee if you can, graal if you can't. Your melee is pretty nice against brutes (if you can predict their grab and bug out) and primes especially.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Still trying to figure out the Vorcha Soldier, since I don't really care about credits and Gold with bad classes is a more fun challenge than Platinum. Getting a little closer to carrying pubs now that I've got a feel for when to press and back off (health tanking is tricky). Bloodlust's animation is stupid sometimes, but are you not entertained?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I've been having a blast by putting a Reegar and a Scorpion on my Vorcha Soldier. Ignore carnage. Small enemies get a few Scorpion rounds, and then set on fire. Big enemies get their shields/barriers Reegar'd off, and then set on fire. Melee gets mixed in mostly to stagger enemies, and to help get shields off so they can be set on fire.

The crowd control of the Scorpion is great. The delayed explosions stagger enemies when you need it most: while you're setting them on fire.

The most annoying enemies are Ravagers and Geth Primes. Ravagers will kill you if all 3 shots hit, so you need to get in close where it won't fire. Geth Primes will stagger you and then kill you with turrets.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Elotana posted:

The Falcon is AoE, I think it's just right where it is. The Krysae sucks out loud now though.

I would be fine with a small ROF increase. Reduce damage per shot to keep the same DPS if they have to (I don't see a problem with leaving damage alone), but it fires toooooooooooooo slowly.

So does the Krysae, except that's even worse a situation.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I thought the RoF change on the Falcon was to reduce the number of shots that disappeared into Vanguard Heaven?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It was probably to nerf it back when the Falcon was the original supergun (right as DLC 1 came out, clearly) ... and they "claim" to have fixed that issue, so fix the drat Falcon.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought the RoF change on the Falcon was to reduce the number of shots that disappeared into Vanguard Heaven?

Considering it had the opposite effect, I doubt that. Then again, loving up that badly does seem to be symptomatic of MP.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
The Falcon is goddamn awesome with Cryo rounds, I use it on my Demolisher and BatSol for indirect weapon fire and with Cryo 3 you can drat near freeze Phantoms solid with two rounds.

Plus with the BatSol you get even more ridiculous staggering/freezing, which sets you up for more punching.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The two main points are

- Skip Carnage. ABC.
- Rage is bugged. You get the passive bonuses, but not the additional bonus to damage reduction or melee. It can still be worth taking the Melee damage bonuses.

I would use something like this (I picked a Piranha VI because that's what I've got). Rage 4 and 6 are definitely up for debate, but the rest I'm fairly comfortable with.

THIS DUDE IS WEAK! Seriously, you want to take weapon damage and fitness over melee on Gold, skip Carnage, make your shotguns light and go to town. Use shield gears and you can literally beat the poo poo out of reapers (not Brutes and Banshees because they cheat) at close range. I'm being dead serious when I say the only thing that can kill you with this build is one hit kills, unless you're bad. Use melee if you run out of bullets and a dude has a little bit if health and you wanna kill him YESTERDAY! Also if you didn't read this whole post in a Krogan voice you've already lost, go pick the Kai Leng vanguard.

Here's my much cooler build.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#53PAQPRq9@0JE@@L4O4@0@0

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If I wanted to shoot things I wouldn't be playing a Brogan :smug:

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If I wanted to shoot things I wouldn't be playing a Brogan :smug:

Oh you like shooting inferiorly. That's cool.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
Imagine the Krogan Vanguard as an oldman Krogan with forehead arthritis or something and it even makes sense from a Lore Perspective to shoot things with him. Ceremonial pre-round headbutts are still traditionally observed.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Ravenfood posted:

Don't drop primers on anything inside a Fury's Field. When the Fury throws it'll detonate the tech burst and not the BE from the Field, meaning the Fury probably doesn't get shields back. With how fragile they are, this can pretty much kill them, especially since Tech Bursts don't seem to stagger as well as BEs.
It's also really annoying when your teammates spam their anti-shield powers on armored enemies for piddling damage, when Biotic Combos inflict way more armor damage than Tech Bursts do. :argh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I still wouldn't pick Shield Recharge at Rage 5 though.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I still wouldn't pick Shield Recharge at Rage 5 though.

I don't punch enough to make martial artist worth it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Feels weird to be worrying about shield recharge speed on a Vanguard though.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Feels weird to be worrying about shield recharge speed on a Vanguard though.

Hacks, package and escort.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

thevoiceofdog posted:

Oh, didn't know you were a goon. That was on Vancouver right?
Yeah, wish there was something I could do about it because I get dropped from half of my games and I know it's a pain in the rear end when the host drops but... Vanguard.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Is there a solid definition of the differences between "armor weakening" and "armor penetration"?

I'm trying to figure out a good secondary weapon to use on my Demolisher Destroyer for Gold/Platinum (with Piranha as the primary). I figure that the Falcon to spray ammo powers everywhere would be decent until I get the Typhoon, but I'm wary of gimping my Piranha by losing out on armor penetration if I don't use AP ammo (since I'm using barrel/choke for the mods there).

The consumables doc says that cryo and warp III have 50% armor weakening, while AP III has 70% armor reduction. Do they function the same way (other than everyone else getting to take advantage of the armor weakening), or are they applied in different ways?

Also, I realllly wish the Acolyte just had a slow ROF rather than the charge, but that would probably just turn it into an uber Falcon.

jpmeyer fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 22, 2012

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rape Jake. posted:

Hacks, package and escort.
Charge something close and run back to the zone. You'll survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
I also far prefer the non-melee Krogan Vanguard build, although shield recharge is indeed optional, and 30 seconds of increased melee damage is pretty sweet. It's up to you. I also like giving them the radius stun and shotgun. After a biotic charge into a group, you move back and fire until your ability recharges.

After following everyone's suggestions, and trying out both the warp 6 and warp 0 Turian sentinel builds, I'm definitely going with warp 6. It really helps with high armor brutes and priming/detonating my team mate's biotic combos.

Warp still misses a lot against non-armored units, but the best solution seems to be just using overload instead, or moving in closer for a shotgun kill.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

• Locked thread