Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A classy RR owner

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

As a rabid mopar fan, i must say this does not belong here :colbert:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Raw_Beef posted:

As a rabid mopar fan, i must say this does not belong here :colbert:

As a fellow Mopar fan, I tend to agree, but the cell-phone pics thread has been rolled into this, so :shrug:

Also, the old white car in my post is a mopar as well (I think).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

As a fellow Mopar fan, I tend to agree, but the cell-phone pics thread has been rolled into this, so :shrug:

Cell phone pics can go in either one - it just didn't make any sense when half the posts in either thread were cell-cams anyway.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Terrible Robot posted:

I cant tell what it is, but i know Chrysler/Dodge was wild with the fins in the late 50's, so it could be. Might also be Imperial. Its just too old for me to know based on that one picture.

I'll just put it down as a Chryslis Highwayman.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm sure LobsterboyX will be along to set us straight at some point. In the mean time, I'll just cross-post them to the other thread where they deserve to be.

edit: It's a 1959 Buick Electra :doh:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 22, 2012

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ad here: http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-Vehicles-cars-BMW-Ian-SCHKETER-SPEC-W0QQAdIdZ406444124

Ad Text posted:

BMW 320D one of a kind,Immaculate condition.r15000 (~$2000) wrap(still under warranty) Green, done by legendry international racing driver Ian Schkter. This car has not been raced at all, it is a show car which has been featured in many magazines including speed and sound on a regular basis. Full body kit done as well. The car has r150000 ($18000) worth of modifications, including 19" schkter rims valued at r62864 ($7500) WITHOUT tyres and R74864 with tyres. Performance chip and engine upgrade still under warranty. Smoked lights and matching green interior. Please no joy riders or time wasters. This car attracts attention everywhere you go.Viewing by appointment only.

Bold mine. This guy is obviously smoking crack.
And Ian Scheckter was the brother of Jody Scheckter. One of these scored zero points in the F1 championship, while the other is a legendary F1 champion.

There is no :negative: big enough. I'm almost convinced this ad is a troll, but I've verified that the car exists and is driven daily.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Raw_Beef posted:

Is it because of visual impairment of other drivers due to reflection that they wont allow metal finish in deutschland?

This has me really wanting to paint a big old american car in stainless finish like the f-104.

Yeah. Its cause you can pretty much blind someone on a sunny day. Afaik there is no clear wording as how much of a car can be reflective and it probably depends a bit on your TÜV or the cop who stops you. But the whole car definitely doesn't fly.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I assume the only thing "terrible" about this was the price tag?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Captain McAllister posted:

You'd have to treat it, or keep it polished. While aluminum doesn't 'rust', it does still oxidize...
Its a near instantaneous oxidation meaning that you can't actually find a chunk of aluminum that doesn't have a layer of oxidation.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its a near instantaneous oxidation meaning that you can't actually find a chunk of aluminum that doesn't have a layer of oxidation.

we here in the rust belt have more words for rust and oxidation than eskimos have for snow. There are many kinds of aluminum oxide... the shiny kind that you're talking about, which is an invisible thin layer of oxide that protects the base metal, the crunchy white powder kind that jams steel bolts into aluminum parts so badly the heads twist off, the slightly greasy feeling white growth kind that appears on a cast aluminum part left out in the rain. The list goes on.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

kastein posted:

we here in the rust belt have more words for rust and oxidation than eskimos have for snow. There are many kinds of aluminum oxide... the shiny kind that you're talking about, which is an invisible thin layer of oxide that protects the base metal, the crunchy white powder kind that jams steel bolts into aluminum parts so badly the heads twist off, the slightly greasy feeling white growth kind that appears on a cast aluminum part left out in the rain. The list goes on.
You actually are right there are multiple forms of corrosion. Though why the hell would anyone be stupid enough to join steel parts with aluminum.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 22, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

You actually are right there are multiple forms of corrosion. Though why the hell would anyone be stupid enough to join steel parts with aluminum.

Aluminum bolts work wonders :downs:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Why indeed?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

quote:

Why indeed?
What sort of insanity was that? Corrosion chemistry has been around since the turn of the century. Its not like its a novel concept that the boat was going to rust without intervention at that point.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

You might say it was ... littorally disintegrating.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

What sort of insanity was that? Corrosion chemistry has been around since the turn of the century. Its not like its a novel concept that the boat was going to rust without intervention at that point.

Well, they said the Navy opted not to go with the standard preventative measures, and the contractors would likely be OK with that as it means more money in maintenance/up-keep contracts. Not a good business model I imagine...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't the entire LCS concept kind of a clusterfuck at this point, anyways? I seem to remember a big discussion about it in AI about half a year back.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

DropShadow posted:

You might say it was ... littorally disintegrating.

No. No I wouldn't.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

well, I hear aluminum engine blocks and transmission housings are the bees knees, but at some point you need to bolt them to a steel frame somehow... or for that matter bolt them to anything! Proper e-coating the bolts with something can help (iirc, subaru uses cadmium plated bolts, and those seem to come out quite nicely) and using improper coatings can really make things worse (like whatever they use on the bolts holding an air conditioning compressor down on a jeep, based on color I'm guessing regular zinc plate.)

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
It also matters a lot on a vehicle if the entire frame including engine block serves as a ground for electrics, hence the possibility/consideration for galvanization.

Edit: Agreeing with you!

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Snapped this on the way home today. You could see the cuts in the wheelwells so the tires didn't rub on them. I like some lowered cars but all the cliches on this one were just too good to pass up.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-Vehicles-cars-Toyota-MR2-Turbo-T61-for-sale-or-to-swop-W0QQAdIdZ406150282

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

This is amazing. Especially the standard exhaust that hasn't been removed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ask Oberon Performance about their motorcycle bar end mirrors. They were smart enough to join together an aluminum arm and a brass pivot for the mirror with a stainless bolt, screwed directly into the aluminum.

In theory, the corrosion worked for them, as a kind of ghetto super-powered loc-tite. Not so good when you need to tighten the bolt because the mirror is slightly loose and vibrates like hell when you're riding.

At least I got a free replacement mirror from the dealer who sold me the first one

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kachunkachunk posted:

It also matters a lot on a vehicle if the entire frame including engine block serves as a ground for electrics, hence the possibility/consideration for galvanization.

Edit: Agreeing with you!
No it actually doesn't. Bimetallic corrosion only needs two metals substantially different on the galvanic series and a wet damp environment for it to occur.

quote:

well, I hear aluminum engine blocks and transmission housings are the bees knees, but at some point you need to bolt them to a steel frame somehow... or for that matter bolt them to anything!
Actually the best way to avoid this type of corrosion is to deliberately pick which materials to join to eliminate it right off the start. That is why you actually coat the bolts in cadmium because its close enough to aluminum that you don't get a substantial amount of potential difference to cause rust as opposed to zinc which generally is designed to rust on purpose.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 23, 2012

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I don't even know...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've seen this driving around town a few times recently, finally caught it yesterday.

The back is just as bad and it has some of the ugliest wheels I've ever seen, but the owner was walking towards the car as I was taking this shot so I didn't try to get another. The entire rear window is covered with a big ad for some "tuning" shop. Good job guys, that crapbox will sure get you customers (unfortunately I'm sure it actually will).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Tindjin posted:

Snapped this on the way home today. You could see the cuts in the wheelwells so the tires didn't rub on them. I like some lowered cars but all the cliches on this one were just too good to pass up.

This would be better without the lovely lowering, the blacked out tail lights, the roof rack, the exhaust and the drift charm.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zeether posted:

This would be better without the lovely lowering, the blacked out tail lights, the roof rack, the exhaust and the drift charm.

The same can be said about 99% of the 240s in the Seattle area. :smithicide:

Roof racks haven't caught on as much in my area, but there are three 240 sedans in my small neighborhood/development that are so badly riced it makes me sad inside.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire

Code Jockey posted:

Roof racks haven't caught on as much in my area, but there are three 240 sedans in my small neighborhood/development that are so badly riced it makes me sad inside.

Are they Volvos? :)

moloo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 23, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We plate our steel bushings in cadmium that go into aluminum drag lings fwiw

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I don't think I had fully realized how little difference there is between the front and back bumper until I saw this. I spent a good 30 seconds staring at what I at first thought was a replacement rear bumper, wondering a) what was wrong with the old one and b) why they both had license plates on them.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

moloo posted:

Are they Volvos? :)

Oh fine coupe :P I ain't good with the words 'nsuch

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Terrible Robot posted:

'59 Buick Invicta.

Neither car is anywhere near terrible.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Zeether posted:

"Drift charm"... the gently caress? Thats what that is? I thought it was some import version of truck nutz or similarly dumb idea.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermunky posted:

"Drift charm"... the gently caress? Thats what that is? I thought it was some import version of truck nutz or similarly dumb idea.
It still is.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I wonder who thought cadmium coating bolts was a good idea?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

JP Money posted:

Marvin Udy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

JP Money posted:

Based on the poo poo fit they throw at work when they find cad bloom on connectors and the steps they take to clean it up, it would seem unwise to take the bolts apart later. Unless cancer's your thing, that is.