Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bent Willy
Aug 3, 2011

Big Wreck posted:

Has anybody started listening to Alcest's new release "Souvenir's d'un autre Monde" ?

http://myspace.com/alcestmusic

It originally started out as a French black metal band but it has somehow evolved into something more shoegaze like with this release. I like it a lot - reminds me somewhat of God is an Astronaut.
Oh gently caress this stuff is beautiful and wonderful and thank you for sharing it. You know when you hear something that blows your mind, and you get an actual shiver? This stuff did it to me. Brilliant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Holy poo poo I got the new avatar, too. Het, is this your doing? of course it is.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 18, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo I got the new avatar, too. Het, is this your doing? of course it is.

Now we both have "Monkey" in our usernames and the same avatar. This is gonna get confusing! :hfive:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just downloaded / bought Jakob's first releases (Erfo and Jakob) and they are just as good as the rest of their material, would recommend everyone having a listen.

edit: listening some Alcest stuff, I am pretty impressed. I'd listened to a few songs of theirs before but they never really clicked. Guess I just didn't get the right recommendations.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 19, 2012

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

david puddy posted:

edit: listening some Alcest stuff, I am pretty impressed. I'd listened to a few songs of theirs before but they never really clicked. Guess I just didn't get the right recommendations.
Their material prior to Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde was much more black metal-influenced, if that's what you checked out. I would also strongly recommend the Amesoeurs EP Ruines Humaines (from the same guy behind Alcest, Neige). It's 3 tracks, the first two are more black metally/have harsh vocals, the third though has female vocals and is one of my favorite songs.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Now that The Silent Ballet is dead where does everyone find out about post rock stuff? I feel like I've been missing out on a lot lately.

Also that new Mono track is amazing.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lost in Kiev is a new band, just released their first sample song. I'm really digging it, it pulls off the spoken word overlay really well. Also, look at their loving album art:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Lost in Kiev is a new band, just released their first sample song. I'm really digging it, it pulls off the spoken word overlay really well.

God, this is like some awesome combination of Spaces and ISIS. Have they only got this one track?

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

Now that The Silent Ballet is dead where does everyone find out about post rock stuff? I feel like I've been missing out on a lot lately.

The weekly Post-rock paper scissors podcast is pretty good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Starsnostars posted:

Also that new Mono track is amazing.

Silent Ballet is gone? Shiiiiit :( I found out about a bunch of bands through them. RIP.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

david puddy posted:

God, this is like some awesome combination of Spaces and ISIS. Have they only got this one track?

They're releasing more material and making it all available on the twenty seventh.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Silent Ballet is gone? Shiiiiit :( I found out about a bunch of bands through them. RIP.

There's this which is fairly good. Most of my post rock comes from either Something Awful or there.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 19, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Haha I was wondering where my new avatar came from! Thank you!

Thanks for the heads up about the new Mono as well, that track linked is amazing. I am highly anticipating it's release, along with the new Caspian. I am also now attending the Shelliac ATP because MONO and Neurosis got announced. I assume everyone has already seen the new album announcement from Neurosis here? I didn't see anything about it though... I really can't wait for it, Neurosis are one of my all time favourite bands.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

The Silent Ballet introduced me to Grails so I consider it the greatest website of all time, it will be missed.

Also, this thread is confusing with all the Milhouses.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Some of the members of Caspian along with The Burning Paris/On Fire have formed side project called Lavinia which I'm enjoying quite a bit. There's some vocal stuff on here which works really well.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

My copy of MONO's new album shipped this morning, hopefully it gets here nice and quick.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Here's another site you can check out:
http://nowlikephotographs.com/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Ahhhh my avatar is changed also!

I kinda like it! Sad to see my Curious Orange go, though :(

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Bent Willy posted:

Oh gently caress this stuff is beautiful and wonderful and thank you for sharing it. You know when you hear something that blows your mind, and you get an actual shiver? This stuff did it to me. Brilliant!

I saw Alcest in January, and god drat do I love them - I don't quite see them as Post Rock, but it's still very beautiful French Metal (even with the harsher vocals at times).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got the new Mono album. I was listening to it in my car on the way to work this morning and I was only able to get through 2 tracks (both being like 12 minutes long), but fuuuuuuuuck, "Nostalgia" is great. Hell of a lot better than "Legend", and "Legend" is amazing. So basically this album is excellent so far.

Edit: So did they collaborate with Godspeed on Unseen Harbor and just not tell anyone or what? It's real loving good!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 21, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I have a question for all you Post Rock people, what is the worst post rock song/album/band you've heard? Post rock has an insanely high good:bad ratio, so I'm wondering what you lot think bad post rock sounds like.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I have a question for all you Post Rock people, what is the worst post rock song/album/band you've heard? Post rock has an insanely high good:bad ratio, so I'm wondering what you lot think bad post rock sounds like.

Is there even such a thing? I mean, there has to be, but it's not coming to me right now. There's post-rock that causes cerebral hemorrhaging, and some that doesn't. But even the stuff that doesn't is still pretty good, most of the time v:shobon:v

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

Went to a local post-rock band's album release party last night, and End of the Ocean was opening up for them. EOTO's new album has a deluxe edition in which it's a CD, but the last inch or so of the disc has grooves so you can play it in a record player :aaa:

Will be giving this a spin shortly, I hope it's good music.

Also, these avatars :psyduck:

e: it is good music

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 22, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Is there even such a thing? I mean, there has to be, but it's not coming to me right now. There's post-rock that causes cerebral hemorrhaging, and some that doesn't. But even the stuff that doesn't is still pretty good, most of the time v:shobon:v

The worst I've heard is boring post rock, and the only boring post rock band I can think of is EitS. Blasphemy I know but there just isn't enough there for me. The mix is always way too sparse.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Yndi Halda or Explosions in the Sky probably.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

slowdave posted:

Yndi Halda are killed by the drumming.

<unpopular opinion> I just can't get into Mono. I've seen them live, I've albums on vinyl, I got a pick of their after a gig (and gave it to a mate), but I just don't get it. I thought the new song would change me but.. no.. It's silly to try so hard but when everyone gushes so much I feel like it'll click at some point </unpopular opinion>

Edit: actually I'm not saying Mono are the worst, they aren't, but they just completely wash over me.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

I don't even remember the drumming because that album is so boring.

I've never been a huge Mono fan either, to be honest. They're too samey and predictable and the supposed beauty of their music just doesn't feel genuine to me. And now they have those grandiose orchestral arrangements and it's schmaltzier than ever.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

slowdave posted:

That's silly. You're silly.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I think it's more a case that 'bad' = 'boring', and so if its just dull then you don't remember it. Hence, you get a skewed perception of the good:bad ratio :)

Anyhoo, leaving out random one-man-bands I 'discovered' on bandcamp and sticking to known names, I nominate late-era Pelican and it's lovely drumming, and middle-era ASMZ with Efrim's lovely whining.

Also, I can't loving stand The Samuel Jackson 5. But that's just me.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

joelcamefalling posted:

late-era Pelican and it's lovely drumming

I think I stopped with Pelican after the second album, but everything about 'March to the Sea' is great. Including the drumming. It got worse from there on I presume?

I did a quick search, and it didn't show up, but I do really like Emery Reel, who as far as I can tell might be in the process of finally doing something again, but I really enjoyed their album "For And Acted Upon Through Diversions"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9-M9J5tMDo

Just looked it up though and this was 2004. Blimey, they're the Tennessee Evpatoria Report.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Wow, the MONO song :stare:. So glad I ordered that album.
For any other peoples in Chicago Caspian is at Subterranean 9/12 and MONO 9/21. I'm excited :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I can see how some people would regard Explosions as "boring". They do have some songs that don't seem to go anywhere. But then listening to a song like Greet Death or A Song For Our Fathers and it totally makes up for their duller ones.

I like 'em, personally. They're not my favorite post-rock band, nor are they the band that got me into post-rock like they are for a lot of other people. But still, 8 or 9 times out of 10, if one of their songs comes on my iPod on shuffle, I'm not gonna skip it. All of their last album (Take Care) was great, too. And they're pretty drat good live, too.

slowdave posted:

I've never been a huge Mono fan either, to be honest. They're too samey and predictable and the supposed beauty of their music just doesn't feel genuine to me. And now they have those grandiose orchestral arrangements and it's schmaltzier than ever.

I'll agree with on this as far as their new album goes. The orchestral arrangements on For My Parents are everywhere, and I feel like they get overused. I really dig orchestral post-rock, but not if it's every song on your album.

The orchestral stuff on Hymn To The Immortal Wind was loving stellar, though :colbert:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 22, 2012

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Post-rock is kinda odd because I'll look at lists people make of bands they like and dislike and there are some from both lists that I'd group together in terms of similar sound/style, but that they feel totally different about. However I've never seen anyone consider a band truly offensive with regards to artistic output within the genre.

Can't wait for MONO but I'll be going on vacation next week, so hopefully it gets here before or after...

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

slowdave posted:

Yea there's a couple of their songs I really really like (Burial at Sea, for instance) but for the most part I gotta agree with you. Which is kind of odd, because normally I'm a sucker for strings and stuff in post-rock. Most of the usual 'drums + like ten guitars or something' stuff doesn't really do it for me anymore. With certain exceptions.

slowdave posted:

I don't like Yndi Halda as much as I used to, and EitS' output is kind of hit and miss with me, but I like 'em well enough. The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place and their new one are particular favorites of mine. Although it's probably at least in part because EitS were one of the first post-rock bands I ever heard.

Parachute Underwear posted:

Post-rock is kinda odd because I'll look at lists people make of bands they like and dislike and there are some from both lists that I'd group together in terms of similar sound/style, but that they feel totally different about.

I notice this a lot honestly, there's a ton of people in this thread that seem to have pretty different tastes than I do. But honestly, musical taste is one of, like, the most insanely subjective things ever, so it kind of makes sense that it would be like that.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 22, 2012

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

This doesn't really count, but one time I saw Explosions in the Sky, and their first opener was Eluvium, who played very droning, soothing soundscapes with footages of birds flying projected onto the wall. It was very suiting and a nice opener.

The second opener was The Paper Chase, a screamo band. That was the worst post rock band I ever saw :colbert:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

This doesn't really count, but one time I saw Explosions in the Sky, and their first opener was Eluvium, who played very droning, soothing soundscapes with footages of birds flying projected onto the wall. It was very suiting and a nice opener.

The second opener was The Paper Chase, a screamo band. That was the worst post rock band I ever saw :colbert:

Bet it wasn't as bad as Pierced Arrows who opened for Godspeed three of the five nights they did in San Francisco.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

I saw Eluvium supporting EITS but everyone just spoke through his set. It did make me get all his albums though. 'Copia' and 'Similies' are still regular Sunday morning listening.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

shmee posted:

I saw Eluvium supporting EITS but everyone just spoke through his set. It did make me get all his albums though. 'Copia' and 'Similies' are still regular Sunday morning listening.

Oh man, I had the exact same experience. I saw Eluvium opening for EITS, and ended up loving his set way more than Explosions... Except that everyone was talking constantly. I still vividly remember hearing Taken for the first time, and getting so entranced by it I just wanted to cuddle in someone's arms from the... warmth of it.

Except I was alone. :unsmith:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I have never listened to Eluvium, I am guessing I should. Where should I start?

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

shmee posted:

I saw Eluvium supporting EITS but everyone just spoke through his set.

This would probably make me go postal. I can't believe there are people out there who have seen Eluvium live and talked all the way through it.

david puddy posted:

Talk Amongst the Trees is generally considered to be his best album, this is the first track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfV7hNPaP78

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

david puddy posted:

'Static Nocturne' is amazing, and 50 minutes long so value for money.

http://eluvium.bandcamp.com/track/static-nocturne

This was the track that people nearly listened to when I saw him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqb60rxl96I

'Copia' (which this is from) is great and gets you a taste of most of his different styles.

Also check his side project Concert Silence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuz5t_nY-Lg

Edit: this is the other Concert Silence track I was looking for. A big more industrial.. http://soundcloud.com/charlesstanyan/strange-footing-concert-silence

Or his solo stuff under his own name (this is gorgeous):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EJqb2CoC8c

shmee fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Thanks for the links, I especially liked New Animals from the Air, very Jónsi & Alex. I will give it all a shot, hopefully I like it as much as you guys do.