Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Ravenfood posted:

Charge something close and run back to the zone. You'll survive.

That, and there's also this thing called cover. I hear the game's based around it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Rape Jake. posted:

THIS DUDE IS WEAK! Seriously, you want to take weapon damage and fitness over melee on Gold, skip Carnage, make your shotguns light and go to town. Use shield gears and you can literally beat the poo poo out of reapers (not Brutes and Banshees because they cheat) at close range. I'm being dead serious when I say the only thing that can kill you with this build is one hit kills, unless you're bad. Use melee if you run out of bullets and a dude has a little bit if health and you wanna kill him YESTERDAY! Also if you didn't read this whole post in a Krogan voice you've already lost, go pick the Kai Leng vanguard.

Here's my much cooler build.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#53PAQPRq9@0JE@@L4O4@0@0

Krogan Battlemaster has more than enough shields and health without the extras from the passive, let alone using gear. Nothing should be able to kill you without an insta-kill if you're charging enough, it's not like you have Nova to constantly drain it, you actually have a motherfuckin' barrier.

Stacking health on a Krogan Battlemaster is overkill and there's no reason for it unless you don't know how to ABC.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Felinoid posted:

That, and there's also this thing called cover. I hear the game's based around it. :v:
Speaking of, I love how the Kroguard is about twice as tall as any piece of low cover and yet doesn't get shot over it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ravenfood posted:

Charge something close and run back to the zone. You'll survive.

Alternately, stay out of the zone and keep everything focused on the Biotic Headbutt Machine.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

jpmeyer posted:

Is there a solid definition of the differences between "armor weakening" and "armor penetration"?

I'm trying to figure out a good secondary weapon to use on my Demolisher Destroyer for Gold/Platinum (with Piranha as the primary). I figure that the Falcon to spray ammo powers everywhere would be decent until I get the Typhoon, but I'm wary of gimping my Piranha by losing out on armor penetration if I don't use AP ammo (since I'm using barrel/choke for the mods there).

The consumables doc says that cryo and warp III have 50% armor weakening, while AP III has 70% armor reduction. Do they function the same way (other than everyone else getting to take advantage of the armor weakening), or are they applied in different ways?

Also, I realllly wish the Acolyte just had a slow ROF rather than the charge, but that would probably just turn it into an uber Falcon.

Armour weakening is applied to the enemy, so it works for the entire team. You can get it from warp, cryo blast, snap freeze, homing grenades, cryo ammo, and warp ammo. I think they multiply together, so 50% weakening cryo ammo plus 50% weakening warp leaves you with 25% armour, not 0% armour.

Armour reduction only works for your own bullets. You get it from piercing mods and AP ammo.

Cover penetration is the ability to shoot through cover. You get it from piercing and AP ammo, and some guns have it innately: Widow, Black Widow, Javelin, Crusader, Typhoon.

Projectile weapons ignore armour entirely. Hit-scan weapons (including stuff like the Reegar) all seem to treat armour normally. The Typhoon was rumoured to have innate armour reduction, but someone at BSN found out that's wrong. The Typhoon does get a 1.5x bonus against armour/shields/barriers (applied after armour is subtracted, because the damage formulas weren't complicated enough), but apparently no reduction.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Dilb posted:

Hit-scan weapons (including stuff like the Reegar) all seem to treat armour normally. The Typhoon was rumoured to have innate armour reduction, but someone at BSN found out that's wrong. The Typhoon does get a 1.5x bonus against armour/shields/barriers (applied after armour is subtracted, because the damage formulas weren't complicated enough), but apparently no reduction.
The Reegar actually does half damage against armor. There's actually about four other weapons that have special modifiers like the Typhoon, although the Krysae is the only other one that does extra armor damage.

Dev post with the relevant data:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/347/index/9822648#13558922

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Dilb posted:

Armour weakening is applied to the enemy, so it works for the entire team. You can get it from warp, cryo blast, snap freeze, homing grenades, cryo ammo, and warp ammo. I think they multiply together, so 50% weakening cryo ammo plus 50% weakening warp leaves you with 25% armour, not 0% armour.

Armour reduction only works for your own bullets. You get it from piercing mods and AP ammo.

Cover penetration is the ability to shoot through cover. You get it from piercing and AP ammo, and some guns have it innately: Widow, Black Widow, Javelin, Crusader, Typhoon.

Projectile weapons ignore armour entirely. Hit-scan weapons (including stuff like the Reegar) all seem to treat armour normally. The Typhoon was rumoured to have innate armour reduction, but someone at BSN found out that's wrong. The Typhoon does get a 1.5x bonus against armour/shields/barriers (applied after armour is subtracted, because the damage formulas weren't complicated enough), but apparently no reduction.

Is there any information about durations with armor weakening on ammo powers? As I've understood it, AP ammo/AP mods reduce the damage reduction from armor for that shot by X%, but if warp/cryo are supposed to weaken armor when the target gets hit, there needs to be some kind of duration on it for that to work. The google doc says that cryo ammo's chill effect lasts for 5 seconds, but there's not duration listed for warp ammo's armor weakening.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Right, I meant the Reegar still gets 50 damage subtracted per shot, unless you do something about it. Armour weakening/reduction is really valuable for the Reegar, as even with a 50% penalty it still does a ton of damage.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Operation Alloy
Individual Goal: Promote 2 characters

Allied Goal: Promote 50,000 characters

Special Circumstance: None

Individual Goal Success: All players awarded a Commendation Pack
Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack and an increase to medi-gel capacity

Edit: vvvv :smug:

Tremors fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 22, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Bioware posted:

Operation ALLOY (August 24th 11AM MDT – August 26th 5AM MDT)

A training center will only take a recruit so far. Our recruits need field experience, so it’s time to integrate them with seasoned squads during our next series of sweeps.

Individual Goal: Promote 2 characters

Allied Goal: Promote 50,000 characters

Special Circumstance: None

Individual Goal Success: All players awarded a Commendation Pack
Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack and an increase to medi-gel capacity

EFB

:argh:

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 22, 2012

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Operation Alloy has been announced.

Is raising my dickwaving level worth another Eagle?

EDIT: ninja'd

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yes it's worth doing. Promote your poo poo it takes pretty much no time to level back. Also it's a chance to repec.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
If anything, it helps keep idiot pubs from kicking you for superficial reasons.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Cool a goal I can get without even having to play. Infiltrator, engi, and vanguard, time to get promoted this weekend.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm, sounds easy enough. Should be interesting to get the Medigel cap increased to 6(is that what the Allied goal means, or is it just giving those that don't have the gel capacity maxed out another card to increase their capacity, but not higher than 5?)

I am looking to respec some classes, so I guess it's win-win.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

Yes it's worth doing. Promote your poo poo it takes pretty much no time to level back. Also it's a chance to repec.

But my worst ending :qq:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I hope this is a sign that the next DLC is coming soon.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Doc Dee posted:

But my worst ending :qq:

Don't worry they're all pretty bad.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

Don't worry they're all pretty bad.

I actually like the ending, I just want to actually GET the one where the Starchild pulls the rug out from under you.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
Man, what a lazy operation. The numbers are less than the last promote one.

Oh well, I'll take any excuse I can to fart around with low level guys on bronze.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Got the game in the middle of that London thing that everyone said was bad so I haven't done any of these before--Is there any ingame confirmation when you've accomplished the individual event or when the community has? I got the community bonus last time since I guess everyone else did it but I didn't even know what the requirements were.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Got the game in the middle of that London thing that everyone said was bad so I haven't done any of these before--Is there any ingame confirmation when you've accomplished the individual event or when the community has? I got the community bonus last time since I guess everyone else did it but I didn't even know what the requirements were.

There's no in-game toast or anything that lets you know when you've accomplished the goal, although BSN employees will sometimes track community objectives in progress. This upcoming goal is really easy -- just promote two of your level 20 guys between Friday and Sunday evening.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

Man, what a lazy operation. The numbers are less than the last promote one.

Oh well, I'll take any excuse I can to fart around with low level guys on bronze.
Vorcha Soldier on Bronze/Silver is a loving riot if you spec for full melee on both Fitness and Bloodlust. Basic Bloodlust regen + heavy melee DR is enough to tank almost any mob before Gold and you will be one-hitting everything.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Doc Dee posted:

I actually like the ending, I just want to actually GET the one where the Starchild pulls the rug out from under you.

You mean the one where the Reapers kill everyone or the one where Earth is destroyed? To destroy Earth you need a low EMS for everyone to die you just need to tell Starchild to got gently caress himself or shoot at him.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Elotana posted:

Vorcha Soldier on Bronze/Silver is a loving riot if you spec for full melee on both Fitness and Bloodlust. Basic Bloodlust regen + heavy melee DR is enough to tank almost any mob before Gold and you will be one-hitting everything.

It works for gold too, but I prefer the sentinel and you have to be more careful about how much crossfire you expose yourself to. I think the cluster grenades do a grand job of staggering poo poo when you run into a crowd that's too big for you. Carnage really doesn't do it as well.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

You mean the one where the Reapers kill everyone or the one where Earth is destroyed? To destroy Earth you need a low EMS for everyone to die you just need to tell Starchild to got gently caress himself or shoot at him.

I mean I want to be able to do a fuckup run through all three games (or at least 2 nd 3) and see the Crucible fire, but wipe out all sapient life in the galaxy.

And since you get like 75 War Assets per promotion, and I don't know what the bare minimum you can get just running through the game is, I'm somewhat hesitant to promote since I've already done it a few times.

If they had an option to get credits, or some kind of awesome Promotion Pack, instead of War Assets, I'd certainly have no problem raising my N7 level.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Fuuuuuuck I just promoted five of my classes that's why I've been playing all silver recently! Stupid EA

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Well you have until Sunday to get 2 of them leveled back up.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

Lagomorphic posted:

Well you have until Sunday to get 2 of them leveled back up.

1 ready, 1 to go.

Oh, and I didn't know if you saw it on the end of last page, but thank you, you were correct about warp. Thanks for the help with my soon to be level 1 Turian Sentinel.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Promotions events are so dumb.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Operation: Tesla

The starchild has discovered the crucible project and has attacked our scientists while allied forces are landing on earth. Defend yourselves and our technology at all cost.

Squad Objective: Clear any Non-Earth map vs. Reapers with a squad comprised of only engineers on any difficulty
Allied Objective: Register X number of kills with tech bursts

That took literally 15 seconds.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Operation: Tesla

The starchild has discovered the crucible project and has attacked our scientists while allied forces are landing on earth. Defend yourselves and our technology at all cost.

Squad Objective: Clear any Non-Earth map vs. Reapers with a squad comprised of only engineers on any difficulty
Allied Objective: Register X number of kills with tech bursts

That took literally 15 seconds.

I like that idea. Do one where everyone has to play as an adept and get 1,000,000 biotic kills/explosions and I'm happy.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The Vorcha Soldier is good on Gold (and even Platinum). I guess any class is, but a reegar carbine for shields/barrier + an armor and damage specced flamer for Armor is devastating

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Operation: Blockade

Reapers have cut off our supply lines. Hold out with whatever weapons available until supplies arrive.

Squad Objective: Clear any map vs. Reapers with a squad on any difficulty using only the starting common weapons.
Allied Objective: Get 10,000 kills with the Mantis. Get 10,000 kills with the Tempest. Get 10,000 kills with the Avenger. Get 10,000 kills with the Predator. Get 10,000 kills with the Katana.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Thundercracker posted:

Operation: Blockade

Reapers have cut off our supply lines. Hold out with whatever weapons available until supplies arrive.

Squad Objective: Clear any map vs. Reapers with a squad on any difficulty using only the starting common weapons.
Allied Objective: Get 10,000 kills with the Mantis. Get 10,000 kills with the Tempest. Get 10,000 kills with the Avenger. Get 10,000 kills with the Predator. Get 10,000 kills with the Katana.

I think you meant to say Shuriken.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Wampus42 posted:

I think you meant to say Shuriken.

Operation: Ancient Chinese Secret

The irrusive man has turned his space racism into real racism, and is starting to round up Asians and place them in internment camps. Use your Asian karate to fight for glorious Nippon!

Squad goal: clear any map vs. Cerberus using an all Korean-team equipped with either the Shuriken or Katana
Allied goal: do the above by using tactics from Sun Tzu's The Art of War

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Doc Dee posted:

I mean I want to be able to do a fuckup run through all three games (or at least 2 nd 3) and see the Crucible fire, but wipe out all sapient life in the galaxy.

And since you get like 75 War Assets per promotion, and I don't know what the bare minimum you can get just running through the game is, I'm somewhat hesitant to promote since I've already done it a few times.

If they had an option to get credits, or some kind of awesome Promotion Pack, instead of War Assets, I'd certainly have no problem raising my N7 level.

I think I had 11 promotions when I did my fuckup run and still got the worst ending (it only changes one slideshow panel and slightly changes two cutscenes anyway, only one cutscene for Control). Though unless you plan to stop playing MP for month and a half, you'll have to cut your internet connection AFTER you load your game so that it drops you down to 50% readiness. (Start playing while offline and it'll just use whatever your last recorded readiness rate was, but then also will remove your promotion war assets.) You can get down to 70% or thereabouts in two weeks, but the rest will drag the gently caress on thanks to the progressive decay rates.

EDIT: Minimum war assets though depends heavily on whether you'll be skipping missions to avoid their assets or doing them anyway to get your fuckup on more, and then some things like whether Wrex is alive makes a big big difference in what you should do to gently caress yourself over the most. Mine didn't manage to gently caress himself over with Wrex, because Wrex was dead, but I skipped everything except Grissom that I possibly could and it was really close thanks to the promotion assets.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Operation: Ancient Chinese Secret

The irrusive man has turned his space racism into real racism, and is starting to round up Asians and place them in internment camps. Use your Asian karate to fight for glorious Nippon!

Squad goal: clear any map vs. Cerberus using an all Korean-team equipped with either the Shuriken or Katana
Allied goal: do the above by using tactics from Sun Tzu's The Art of War

Not unless they bring back the Naginata. Polearms are cool. :colbert:

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 22, 2012

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

That DICK! posted:

Krogan Battlemaster has more than enough shields and health without the extras from the passive, let alone using gear. Nothing should be able to kill you without an insta-kill if you're charging enough, it's not like you have Nova to constantly drain it, you actually have a motherfuckin' barrier.

Stacking health on a Krogan Battlemaster is overkill and there's no reason for it unless you don't know how to ABC.

Maybe it's overkill on silver and bronze, but on Gold, Health trumps melee every time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lagomorphic posted:

Since they just changed the slash moves, I know which two classes I'm respeccing. I mean promoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Operation: Eagle

You drank too much last night but you still need to destroy the Reaper threat. You've misplaced all of your weapons except for the N7 Eagle.

Squad Objective: Get Full Extraction on Platinum on any map/enemy with all of the characters equipped with only the N7 Eagle.
Allied Objective: Full Extraction 10,000,000 times on Platinum with all players using only the Eagle.

If the operation is not successful, everyone will be rewarded with an Eagle upgrade or Piranha downgrade. If the operation is successful, everyone will be rewarded with an Eagle upgrade or Piranha downgrade.

• Locked thread