Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's pretty disappointing that for the 25th anniversary they're making a sequel of an average sequel to a luke-warm game.

I hope they have other things to announce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Probably they'll announce yet another port of IV. Or FFI. :unsmigghh:

And then announce that "Oh, we haven't forgotten about Versus", and then say nothing for another six years, all the while making bizarre and non-sequiter responses to any questions about it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Harlock posted:

It's pretty disappointing that for the 25th anniversary they're making a sequel of an average sequel to a luke-warm game.

Playing Theatrhythm right now, this anniversary's already a success as far as I'm concerned.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pesky Splinter posted:

6.7 Million units sold (worldwide) for FFXIII
2.5 Million units sold (worldwide) for FFXIII-2: Revenge of the Sequel

This is sort of sad to read even though I understand why, because 13-2 is such a better game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fantasy games are just a way for Nomura and Toriyama to have their Insane-Off.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

Final Fantasy games are just a way for Nomura and Toriyama to have their Insane-Off.

N: In my next Kingdom Hearts game, I'm going to have Sora asexually bud, so there are two Soras. But the players won't know that till the end, where it turns out to have been orchestrated by Xehanort.

T: Oh, yeah? Well in my next game, I'm going to have it so that Caius is actually evil Lightning from the future after a sex-op, driven mad by Serah, and powered with the hatred of Moogles.

N: Is that so? Well, not only will there be two Soras, but their eyelids will be replaced by zippers, and they will grow magical belt-wings with keyblades on each of them. And each keyblade will be a different colour of the rainbow, and each contains a gem containing a trapped Disney character powering that gem. But each gem is actually a crystal tear, shed by Riku, Xion, Axel, Roxas, Ven, Terra and Kairi.

T: Yeah! Well! It turns out Snow was the evil mastermind after all, manipulating everyone, but Snow is actually a robot being controlled by a Flan who was infected by mako after travelling through the void. The void that was accidently released when Ultimecia compressed time and Necron appeared. And then as the Snow-Flan takes damage, we'll slowly remove his clothes, and at the end, it turns out it wasn't Snow after all. It was Hope, when he exchanged minds with him. Suck on it, Nomura! :smugbert:

N: Toriyama! :argh:

[e]: Yeah I know. :v:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 22, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

N: In my next Kingdom Hearts game, I'm going to have Sora asexually bud, so there are two Soras. But the players won't know that till the end, where it turns out to have been orchestrated by Xehanort.

All that actually happened already actually!

I don't know. I really didn't like FFXIII-2. The prospect of yet another loving sequel is pretty ridiculous unless they find some really amazing way to freshen it up.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah that technically happened in Kingdom Hearts 2.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just cancel the XIII trilogy and reuse the characters in a better way. Just give the assets to someone who can make a good game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Probably they'll announce yet another port of IV. Or FFI. :unsmigghh:

To be fair, I think they've run out of systems to port 1 and 4 to. Though being 25th anniversary and all, I wouldn't be shocked if they did another FF1 remake, maybe even a DS-like 3D remake.

But yeah, I'm definitely glad we're getting the next chapter in the Lightning saga everyone's clamoring for over instead of, say, FF15 or even Versus 13.

Hopefully we'll hear something about FF15 soon. There's only so many FF13 games they can make.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know what I really want?

Final Fantasy Football.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ImpAtom posted:

The prospect of yet another loving sequel is pretty ridiculous unless they find some really amazing way to freshen it up.

I'm surprised such a thing would even get greenlit based on the sales figures posted earlier. If they're accurate, 13-2 sold very slightly over 1/3rd the copies of 13. You'd think that alone would make them realise it's a bad idea and move onto something else, or at least finally make Versus 13 something other than a half-decade spanning vaporware joke.

But, nope! That would make too much sense for modern day Capcom Square-Enix.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Final Fantasy Football.

Be it either American or Rest of the Goddamn World Football.

Don't draft a Beserker, its a magic first league.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

But yeah, I'm definitely glad we're getting the next chapter in the Lightning saga everyone's clamoring for over instead of, say, FF15 or even Versus 13.

Hopefully we'll hear something about FF15 soon. There's only so many FF13 games they can make.

Or for that matter a graphical/content/mechanics update of any of the games from 5-9. They keep remaking and rereleasing the wrong games!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
Agreed! Where's our HD versions of V,VI and, IX SE? :colbert:

Mega64 posted:

There's only so many FF13 games they can make.

I'd agree with you, but this is Square Enix - the company that sucked the tit of FFVII so hard, it drew blood from its decaying, dessicated corpse.

The whole FFXIII Fabula Nova Whatsistsname, has the primary goal of pumping FFXIII poo poo out for over ten years. If any company would drag out a game series more than Capcom, it's SE.

[e]: And as for XIII Versus

quote:

Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada refutes recent rumours that FF Versus XIII has been canned.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII is still in development, despite recent rumours to the contrary, Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada has confirmed on Twitter.

Wada recently attended a "periodic meeting" for the game too, according to Andriasang's translation of the tweet. Wada also commented on the high quality of the game's cityscape.

So what's going on? We should find out more regarding Square Enix's plans for the future of the Final Fantasy franchise via a series of 25th anniversary events over the next few months, while Tokyo Games Show 2012 commences in late September.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 22, 2012

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm surprised such a thing would even get greenlit based on the sales figures posted earlier. If they're accurate, 13-2 sold very slightly over 1/3rd the copies of 13. You'd think that alone would make them realise it's a bad idea and move onto something else, or at least finally make Versus 13 something other than a half-decade spanning vaporware joke.

XIII-2 and Deus Ex were why SE was profitable in their FY2012.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, the thing to keep in mind is that it still sold a lot. It didn't sell as much, but it also was much much cheaper to make. It was like 70% recycled material and the new material wasn't exactly tough. FFXIII took forever to make, FFXIII-2 took like a year tops. Selling over a million copies for minimal budget is probably great to them.

S-E fucks up by letting their games linger and take forever to come out, which runs up budgets and wastes time and yada yada. When they just make a loving game it isn't hard for them to get it out quickly and turn a profit on it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Just cancel the XIII trilogy and reuse the characters in a better way. Just give the assets to someone who can make a good game.

Does SquareEnix even employ anyone who meets that description anymore?

Oh! Yuji Horii. Yeah, I like that idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

Does SquareEnix even employ anyone who meets that description anymore?

Oh! Yuji Horii. Yeah, I like that idea.

They have plenty of people who can make good games. They have nobody who can write a good story.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

S-E fucks up by letting their games linger and take forever to come out, which runs up budgets and wastes time and yada yada. When they just make a loving game it isn't hard for them to get it out quickly and turn a profit on it.

What they really need is some new blood. And an rear end in a top hat of a director who'll scream and bitch at everyone to motivate them to do things.

It's been said before, but XIII's flaws make more sense when you read about its development, and find out that they'd been sitting on their arses, twiddling their thumbs for four years, doing mostly unrelated things, and then crudely stitching them together because they suddenly realised that they had to make a game.

ImpAtom posted:

They have nobody who can write a good story.

This too.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Winks posted:

Really?

"The "Lightning Saga" that started with the release of FINAL FANTASY XIII, has achieved a cumulative shipment of over 9.6 million units; and in May 2012 FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 was brought to conclusion with the add-on content entitled "Lightning's Story: Requiem of the Goddess".

Key members of the FINAL FANTASY XIII development team including the Producer, Director and Art Director, are in preparations to present new information about the direction of Lightning's story. This presentation will take place at an event in Tokyo to celebrate FINAL FANTASY 25th Anniversary, on 1st September 2012."

All that text and Square still can't just say 'yeah, so we're doing XIII-3.'

Personally I'm hoping this AWESOME ANNOUNCEMENT turns out to be FF13: Lightning Saga Complete Edition for the Playstation Vita.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Or for that matter a graphical/content/mechanics update of any of the games from 5-9. They keep remaking and rereleasing the wrong games!

Based on their lax coding standards and practices during the PS era, I would not be surprised if they legit did not have the source code for 7-9 any more. They actually canceled the North American version of Chocobo dungeon because they accidentally sent an unfinished version of the game to the translators and had deleted all of their back-ups.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I'm excited for the next FFXIII game if it's as great as XIII-2 was, and only if Hamauzu-Mizuta-Suzuki are working together again for another aural masterpiece.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Dragonatrix posted:

If it was Capcom the rumour about cancelling Versus XIII would actually be true!

I'm still bitter. :smith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pesky Splinter posted:

The whole FFXIII Fabula Nova Whatsistsname, has the primary goal of pumping FFXIII poo poo out for over ten years. If any company would drag out a game series more than Capcom, it's SE.

I hate this "mini-world" trend Square's been doing. The whole "Ivalice" thing went nowhere, and their "World of Mana" thing ended up killing that series. And now we're going to have an entire series of Final Fantasy XIII's just because.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

Final Fantasy Football.

Wasn't this FF5, and like the final dungeon was a metaphor for the last ten yards before getting a touchdown?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm excited for the next FFXIII game if it's as great as XIII-2 was, and only if Hamauzu-Mizuta-Suzuki are working together again for another aural masterpiece.

Even if it's a decent game, it's just the least exciting possible thing they could've announced. I'd rather have a new mainseries game or a remake of pretty much any game from 5-9 or if they wanna get weird with it Theatrhythm style get fuckin' weird with it already and give us a kart racer, Wario Ware clone, and live-action adaptation of X-2 directed by Takashi Miike.

Make something new, or something strange, or just appeal to my nostalgia lizardbrain. Anything but more Lightning Saga. Not because XIII-2 was terrible, but because I already know I'm going to wait six months on it to be $20 and pick it up and enjoy it a little bit but not a lot. They're mad stagnant.

Baku fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 23, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pesky Splinter posted:

6.7 Million units sold (worldwide) for FFXIII
2.5 Million units sold (worldwide) for FFXIII-2: Revenge of the Sequel

That's roughly 9 million units sold cumulatively.

13-2's figures are a pretty good indication of how many people didn't like 40 hours of linear garbage.

Harlock posted:

Now now, they rerelease FF7PC with a wonderful :effort: update thrown in. Do you still have to be online to load/save your game as well?

Fister Roboto posted:

Final Fantasy Football.

You should just play Blood Bowl because it's easily better than anything Square would make, and for soccer Mega Man soccer is still king.

Besides, this is all just a big build up to taking Dissida one step further. Square Enix presents: Final Fantasy versus 13 Dragon Quest.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The only character who has any significant presence and character arc between Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 is Hope.

If it was Sazh instead, I might have a reason to get XIII-3.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

It might be cliche, but I'd play a buddy cop game featuring Lightning and Sazh.

When the first gameplay footage for FFXIII came out, I thought this is what we were getting. By gameplay I mean the intro cinematic up until the first enemy and then a fade to black and a short cut-scene of them killing the boss.

Honestly, it'd be pretty boss.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Making my way through FFV Advance right now, and it seems really easy. Most boss fight seem to boil down to: ninja attacks, Mystic Knight casts a spell, Gravity, Black Magic spell, and if he's not dead by then the Mystic Knight's next attack will surely finish him off. I seem to recall the SNES version being a bit harder. Did they rebalance it that much or do I just know the game too well and have too much routine?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Now now, they rerelease FF7PC with a wonderful :effort: update thrown in. Do you still have to be online to load/save your game as well?

I'm still pissed about this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I hate this "mini-world" trend Square's been doing. The whole "Ivalice" thing went nowhere, and their "World of Mana" thing ended up killing that series. And now we're going to have an entire series of Final Fantasy XIII's just because.

It tends to be really bad because it doesn't feel like Square understands how to exploit a universe properly. The Ivalice games share no time period, mechanics, geography, tone, theme, or culture. Hell despite playing FFT, FFTA, FFTA2, FFXII, FFXII Wings of Whatever, and some of Vagrant Story I have no clue how the hell the geography/racial composition of the planet is supposed to work or why these games share a setting rather than just a hodepodge of random details.

This of course also ignores that the writing staff for SE is incredibly spotty with a tendency to ignore anything other teams have written like what happened with FFVII and its spin off universe games. On top of that, the actual worlds they construct tend to require tons of optional content to fully understand like the Ultimanias. Hell in FFXIII the entire world isn't particularly intriguing because the game hides anything that might be interesting to explore in another game inside a giant, optional encyclopedia.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Making my way through FFV Advance right now, and it seems really easy. Most boss fight seem to boil down to: ninja attacks, Mystic Knight casts a spell, Gravity, Black Magic spell, and if he's not dead by then the Mystic Knight's next attack will surely finish him off. I seem to recall the SNES version being a bit harder. Did they rebalance it that much or do I just know the game too well and have too much routine?

It's really just not very difficult. The variety of abilities, damage types, etc that your party can have access to essentially means there's an "easy way" to slaughter every boss in one round, not even counting abilities like Coin Toss that are amazing at bruteforcing through almost everything.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I agree with Zombies' Downfall; it's a fairly easy game, but that's what I like about it. It will get harder later on when a lot more enemies and bosses are immune to things or have more resistances or use nastier attacks, but it's a very casual FF game, which for me leaves a lot of room for experimentation with crazy job combos, and I can pick it up and play it with very little effort on my part. The GBA version does have some extra endgame content though that can wreck your poo poo if you're not prepared, though at that point you can max out every job extremely quickly and just trial and error the fights for a few minutes before figuring out what you're supposed to be doing.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That's kinda why I liked the Four Job Fiesta for FF5. Even though Gilgabot was kind enough to give me a chemist both times (so I can't exactly speak from experience about it making the game difficult...), it still forces a little more use of tactics you otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

As much as I love FFV, it's not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination. Once you learn how to use the job system right it becomes fairly easy.

Speaking of FFV, apparently some japanese hackers made a hack of it based off Lufia 2's Ancient cave. (That is to say, a semi-roguelike mode.)

Then these people here translated the hack.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I just got XIII-2, but have never played XIII. Does anyone have a quick rundown of what happened in XIII so I'm slightly more updated on what the hell is going on?

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I'm down for XIII-3 if it's anywhere near as enjoyable as XIII-2, it would definitely be worth it just for another top-notch soundtrack.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Basically this, that music was just so drat good.

fake edit: That reminds me I need to play some more Nier, I just got the game and I'm really enjoying the music of that game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
I beat FFV completely for the first time ever. :D

Enuo wasn't that bad. About the only boss that actually gave me trouble was Neo Shinryu and even that was just a matter of patience. Anyway, all classes mastered, all spells learned... I can finally put this game away.

Moving onto FFIX. Nearly there in beating all of the mainstream Final Fantasy games.