Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Insound's got a buttload of overstocked vinyl for 30% off this week: http://www.insound.com/promos/mega-summer-vinyl-sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Everytime I get interested in Insound sales I am quickly reminded of why they suck (for us internationals).

29 dollars international shipping? What a joke.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Everytime I get interested in Insound sales I am quickly reminded of why they suck (for us internationals).

Is that including Canada? Because I've ordered records from the US and the UK for less shipping and isn't Insound one of the bigger American distros?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Le Saboteur posted:

Is that including Canada? Because I've ordered records from the US and the UK for less shipping and isn't Insound one of the bigger American distros?

I doubt it'd be that high for Canada, but it is for Europe. And I have often had shipping from the US in the 10-15 price range, so there's no excuse.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I doubt it'd be that high for Canada, but it is for Europe. And I have often had shipping from the US in the 10-15 price range, so there's no excuse.

$20.21 to Canada, that's still pretty loving ridiculous for a large distro like Insound. They should be able to negotiate much better shipping prices than that.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
The shipping to Sweden was ridiculous when I was about to order Belong - Common Era. It was actually more than the record. Pretty drat steep.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
"All vinyl orders ship UPS" :thumbsup:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I've also noticed that their records are bit overpriced so these "sale" prices just tend to lower them to whatever other sites are selling them for.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I just got something delivered to TX from Juno.co.uk and I was shocked how cheap the shipping was.

ethan posted:

"All vinyl orders ship UPS" :thumbsup:

Haha, seriously?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I always see Boris - Attention Please for $15-$18 in store. Not really any good deals.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

CPL593H posted:

I've also noticed that their records are bit overpriced so these "sale" prices just tend to lower them to whatever other sites are selling them for.

Yeah basically.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Owsla posted:

I just got something delivered to TX from Juno.co.uk and I was shocked how cheap the shipping was.

Haha, seriously?

Yup. gently caress that.

I find myself buying lots of records from Amazon in the UK for cheaper and faster shipping. Royal Mail rules (at least to me, in Canada).

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I dropped into the GraveFace record store the other day as the wife and I were vacationing in Savannah. Cool place, decent selection of new/used records, lots of weird poo poo in the store and people just hanging around listening to music. Ryan was super friendly and even gave out some suggestions on things to do in the area. I really like his label and being part of his record club. Always cool things happening.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

I Might Be Adam posted:

I dropped into the GraveFace record store the other day as the wife and I were vacationing in Savannah. Cool place, decent selection of new/used records, lots of weird poo poo in the store and people just hanging around listening to music. Ryan was super friendly and even gave out some suggestions on things to do in the area. I really like his label and being part of his record club. Always cool things happening.

I've ordered a couple of Jakob items from Graveface and I was impressed by them both times, packed the box full of stickers and coupons and stuff.

e: holy moly

e2: just got this curiosity, wonder what it's like:

Will give it a listen after In Absentia :haw:

e3: This is good music, pity they could only fit 2 minutes onto the lathed part of the disc.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 22, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

WASDF posted:

I always see Boris - Attention Please for $15-$18 in store. Not really any good deals.

Liars - Sister World deluxe edition would've been nice for 15 bucks but alas.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I used to buy from Insound all the time but stopped after their shipping to Australia became ridiculous

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Night Birds will have Fresh Kills Vol 1 on sale on their FB page today starting at noon.

https://www.facebook.com/NGHTBRDS

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Selling a spare (sealed) copy of the At The Drive-In Vaya half-pink/half-clear-yellow UK/Euro/JP press.

PM me a reasonabl offer. I'm not asking $77 like the guy on discogs.

(And if you can find me a copy of the Coachella press for a reasonable price I'll love you)

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Been meaning to post my annual Somerville Rock n' Roll Yard Sale acquisitions from this past weekend. Pretty pleased with this year's haul:

Currently listening to that first T. Rex LP - it's an original US press it looks like and despite the rough shape of the sleeve, the actual record looks pretty minty (and sounds it).

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Got these today:

Minus the Bear is the clear vinyl (1000 pressed) and sexy as hell. Been meaning to pick up EitS, and they just got Flying Lotus in when I got there, so I couldn't say no. Moby was $2.50 for the We Are All Made of Stars remixes.

Some other recent pick-ups I've been slacking on:

Is the Broken Bells s/t out of print? I was on the fence about buying it until I saw it's almost impossible to find online. Such Gold is a nice orange marble color out of 250.

This is mostly just funny stuff that came into our store that I had to buy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

Been meaning to post my annual Somerville Rock n' Roll Yard Sale acquisitions from this past weekend. Pretty pleased with this year's haul:

Currently listening to that first T. Rex LP - it's an original US press it looks like and despite the rough shape of the sleeve, the actual record looks pretty minty (and sounds it).

Good find on the T.Rex. I rarely come across any of that. Although I do have a white label promo coy of Tanx :smug:. Also that's technically not their first album. It's the first album under the shortened name and where they used electric guitar. They released four albums under than name Tyrannosaurus Rex. :goonsay:

I'm so glad someone is talking about T-Rex. No one ever give them their due. I love T-Rex.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

CPL593H posted:

Also that's technically not their first album. It's the first album under the shortened name and where they used electric guitar. They released four albums under than name Tyrannosaurus Rex. :goonsay:

I'm so glad someone is talking about T-Rex. No one ever give them their due. I love T-Rex.

I know that, but I sort of treat them as two separate bands entirely...and so does discogs :smug:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

What do you guys think about John's Children? Who doesn't love T. Rex? Also Marc Bolan is a god. My friends and I were going to start a bowling team called the "Marc Bowl'ans" and wear shirts with Marc Bolan photoshopped holding a bowling ball. We would have sucked as a team but it would have been awesome.

Also recently got some Mt. Eerie in the mail and waiting for my Cornelius records (cannot wait...).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

I know that, but I sort of treat them as two separate bands entirely...and so does discogs :smug:

I will admit it makes sense that way because the sounds were pretty different.

Blendy posted:

What do you guys think about John's Children? Who doesn't love T. Rex? Also Marc Bolan is a god. My friends and I were going to start a bowling team called the "Marc Bowl'ans" and wear shirts with Marc Bolan photoshopped holding a bowling ball. We would have sucked as a team but it would have been awesome.

Also recently got some Mt. Eerie in the mail and waiting for my Cornelius records (cannot wait...).

I'm familiar with John's Children, but I've never heard anything by them. Weren't they really short lived?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Good find on the T.Rex. I rarely come across any of that. Although I do have a white label promo coy of Tanx :smug:. Also that's technically not their first album. It's the first album under the shortened name and where they used electric guitar. They released four albums under than name Tyrannosaurus Rex. :goonsay:

Elemental Child on A Beard of Stars is also electric. Bolan was using a fuzz-type effect on it.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

CPL593H posted:

I'm familiar with John's Children, but I've never heard anything by them. Weren't they really short lived?

Yeah really only for 2 years in the 60s, though a form of the band has been active again from 2006 to current, but I don't really know if I count that. Bolan was only in the band for 4 months.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I came back home from holiday in Australia to find a big stack of vinyl waiting for me :D

First up is Heavenly Beat - Talent, a rather uplifting album with some great songs. The second one was is Beak's >> limited and signed tour edition that I was lucky enough to nab off the official site when it went up for a short while. Really heavy and atmospheric music.

Third is a fantastic compilation of John Maus' early songs and rarities on pink vinyl. John Maus = quality
Fourth up is Polyvinyl Records' compilation in support of Japan after the 2011 quakes, which includes a heart wrenching rendition of Xiu Xiu's Hyunhye's Theme.

Deerhoof doesn't need any introduction, but V.S. Evil has quickly become my favorite album of theirs, after Friend Opportunity. It's stuffed with great songs. I also got the incredibly beautiful Conveyor release. It's great.

Also got this The Strokes collection for really cheap from Popmarket.com

But my favorite is this gorgeous release for Lucio Fulci's Zombi 2 soundtrack. It's really great and goddamn, just look at that. And listen.

Man, I love vinyl.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

traveling midget posted:

Selling a spare (sealed) copy of the At The Drive-In Vaya half-pink/half-clear-yellow UK/Euro/JP press.

PM me a reasonabl offer. I'm not asking $77 like the guy on discogs.

(And if you can find me a copy of the Coachella press for a reasonable price I'll love you)

Also FS: http://www.discogs.com/Flaming-Lips-The-Flaming-Lips-And-Heady-Fwends/release/3553611
Asking $50 shipped for it.
Dr. Who version, spun Side A once, otherwise new. Green/Brown splattered vinyl.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Hi I gave up on this thread 'cause of all the newvinyl posts, but look at all this awesome poo poo:

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

found two Big Black 7"s for $3 each!

Farts Domino posted:

Throwing another Record Fair in New Orleans!

Space human being posted:

One of the local surf music fans passed away a few weeks ago. It's a pretty tightly-knit community around here, so all the surf dudes put together a memorial for him and they decided to sell off his music collection to support his family.

Sucks, but a great story. All the guy's treasures will get to others that appreciate them, cash for the fam, etc.

Farts Domino posted:

Here's my surf/instro haul from the Record Raid this weekend:

I hope you host these forever.
More stuff I'd flip past 'cause I don't know jack.

smallTalkExpress posted:

Started my collection last weekend. Got some pretty good deals!

awesome, du!

Tiny Faye posted:

This is my kinda poo poo. I'm... 100% jealous ahah

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
So, after playing my records on the turntables of friends and family, I am finally getting my actual own turntable for my birthday. I was either going to as for the The Audiotechnica ATLP120 or the Pro-Ject III (I think that's what it's called) as both are recommended in the OP. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between the ATLP120 and the Pro-Ject III? I noticed the P-J III was sitting in the top price bracket in the OP, whereas the ATLP120 was sitting in the one below. Having done a bit of searching, in the UK, the difference between the 2 is £50. This isn't too bad, and I would be definitely willing to help invest a bit of extra money into this if it's going to get me a noticeably better turntable at the end of the day.

2. Looking at the P-J III on Amazon, prices vary wildly from £329-£239. So far as I can tell the price difference seems to be based on colour for some reason, but if anyone knows of any differences concerning the quality of the Project Debut IIIs listed, then please, pipe up!

FINALLY if anyone has any other suggestions around this price range, I'd like to hear them, as well as any good/bad experiences with the aforementioned turntables!

I am super excited about finally having my own kit! Thanks in advance for your help!

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I don't have anything to compare it to but I picked up the ATLP 120 a few months back based on the OP suggestion. I've had no issues with it. Replaced the stock record mat with a nice rubber one from an old table of my parents. It even plays my warped records without skips and jumps if I ratchet down the weight a bit.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

on the way home I found a cache of dj castoffs at value village. among the poo poo I don't remember or recognize there was:

Notorious B.I.G: Warning
Wu-Tang Clan: C.R.E.A.M. / Da Mystery of Chessboxin'
Ghostface: Tush / Holla
Jay-Z: Big Pimpin / Anything + Change Clothes / What More Can I Say
Clipse: When the Last Time / I'm Not You
Outkast: The Way You Move / Hey Ya

which owns, 'cuz now my copy of Rappers Delight has a lil' company.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Owl did were your Strokes albums damaged, well, the covers? Some of the corners of mine were pretty banged up. I don't mind too much but you'd think they'd take care to package em a bit better.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Finally found an affordable copy of Sam Cooke's greatest hits so I got that today. Also spotted and bought a copy of Why?'s new ep in the wild so look out for that if you're a fan, it's really good.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

My dad just took me record shopping for my birthday, here is the haul:

This is the first time I've ever sat down and listened to a Beatles album so this is a pretty big deal for me. The disc and insert are pretty much mint, the other two albums are just new reissues.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Vintersorg posted:

Owl did were your Strokes albums damaged, well, the covers? Some of the corners of mine were pretty banged up. I don't mind too much but you'd think they'd take care to package em a bit better.

I'm usually pretty easy going when it comes to the corners, seeing how far these things usually ship, but my Strokes corners are immaculate. So I guess I got lucky.

Or you got unlucky :(

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

david puddy posted:

My dad just took me record shopping for my birthday, here is the haul:

This is the first time I've ever sat down and listened to a Beatles album so this is a pretty big deal for me. The disc and insert are pretty much mint, the other two albums are just new reissues.

Hngh Still Life's art looks amazing on a record jacket! I really love Sgt Pepper's so I hope you enjoy it! Day in the Life is probably one of my favourite Beatles songs.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

It's incredible, I'm listening to it right now. And yeah, Still Life is as gorgeous as ever :allears:

If you didn't know, Kscope/Peaceville are reissuing it at the moment for like $35 including shipping.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Rubies posted:

I just wanted to see if any of you had an interest in any of the old (late90's / early 2000's) hardcore/punk/emo/screamo/etc records I'm selling on eBay...

I'll take this down if it's too spammy, but I just put this in another NMD thread and wanted to see if the vinyl people are interested. Many of these are on really cool colored vinyl and have awesome package design and nostalgic value. Once I dig out the primo crates it's gonna be a back-in-the-day buffet of wax.

Click the link I quoted for a partial list. I'm sad that I have to part with these because vinyl is the prefect medium but they're just to bulky for me to keep moving into tiny Boston apartments :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

nomapple posted:

So, after playing my records on the turntables of friends and family, I am finally getting my actual own turntable for my birthday. I was either going to as for the The Audiotechnica ATLP120 or the Pro-Ject III (I think that's what it's called) as both are recommended in the OP. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between the ATLP120 and the Pro-Ject III? I noticed the P-J III was sitting in the top price bracket in the OP, whereas the ATLP120 was sitting in the one below. Having done a bit of searching, in the UK, the difference between the 2 is £50. This isn't too bad, and I would be definitely willing to help invest a bit of extra money into this if it's going to get me a noticeably better turntable at the end of the day.

2. Looking at the P-J III on Amazon, prices vary wildly from £329-£239. So far as I can tell the price difference seems to be based on colour for some reason, but if anyone knows of any differences concerning the quality of the Project Debut IIIs listed, then please, pipe up!

FINALLY if anyone has any other suggestions around this price range, I'd like to hear them, as well as any good/bad experiences with the aforementioned turntables!

I am super excited about finally having my own kit! Thanks in advance for your help!

I myself haven't had firsthand experience with either of them, but I've heard some people have had issues with the P-J III's platter. Reviews of the ATLP120 have been pretty much universally positive.