Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Operation: Ancient Chinese Secret

The irrusive man has turned his space racism into real racism, and is starting to round up Asians and place them in internment camps. Use your Asian karate to fight for glorious Nippon!

Squad goal: clear any map vs. Cerberus using an all Korean-team equipped with either the Shuriken or Katana
Allied goal: do the above by using tactics from Sun Tzu's The Art of War

Squad Goal: Put peepee in Harbinger's Coke on any map on any difficulty
Allied Goal: Put 10,000 peepeees in 10,000 Cokes on any map on any difficulty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Well I just wasted a full set of consumables trying to run Platinum and winding up in a game with a loving cheater. Why are people doing bannable poo poo in public games? Ugh I hope the loving moron enjoys his ban.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Mr Dog(TM). Playing Support Classes, So You Don't Have To

At least for about three wipes until I get pissed off enough to pull out some murdertrain class to show everyone else how it's done :smug:

yeah I just Valianted every non-hardened motherfucker on the field for the past five waves, bite me.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Felinoid posted:

Not unless they bring back the Naginata. Polearms are cool. :colbert:

Bioware's interpretation:

edit: vvvv I know :ssh:

Tremors fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 22, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Tremors posted:

Bioware's interpretation:

While that looks pretty sweet, it was also the name of one of the mid-tier sniper rifles in ME1.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I too just promoted all my classes last night, as a lark. *grumble*

Boofasten
Feb 2, 2005

dance to the music you ugly motherfuckers
Can anyone throw me an invite? I'll be on for a bit and then more later tonight.

GT: Boofasten

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I unlocked the N7 Paladin last night and I like it a lot, problem is well on gold I seem to never have a very high score. I mean to the point where I am lagging behind by like 20/30k. I know score really doesn't matter but it makes me feel like I am not pulling my weight. I have my powers setup like on page 2 .... Energy drain 6, snap freeze 6, paladin passive 6, and ice shield. I tried with the piranha, but I always end up on huge maps with that and I can't get ultra rares to drop to save my life.

Is there like a preferred load out? Or is there something blatant I am missing to make me a bit more deadly?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Thundercracker posted:

Operation: Blockade

Reapers have cut off our supply lines. Hold out with whatever weapons available until supplies arrive.
That would be a hell of a way to announce the end of ME3 multiplayer maintenance.

GDI funding discontinued

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

waah posted:

Is there like a preferred load out? Or is there something blatant I am missing to make me a bit more deadly?

I usually carry a Piranha, but I like being up in everything's face. Very important to remember that ED + snap freeze = tech bursts for days.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lagomorphic posted:

Well I just wasted a full set of consumables trying to run Platinum and winding up in a game with a loving cheater. Why are people doing bannable poo poo in public games? Ugh I hope the loving moron enjoys his ban.

but did you get your 140k? :v:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Synonamess Botch posted:

I usually carry a Piranha, but I like being up in everything's face. Very important to remember that ED + snap freeze = tech bursts for days.

Is there a time limit on it? Does it only tech burst if the target is out of shields?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Felinoid posted:

While that looks pretty sweet, it was also the name of one of the mid-tier sniper rifles in ME1.

Unfortunately ME1's weapons were basically just Borderlandsized versions of the exact same 4 weapons in terms of their use, model, sounds, and pretty much everything about them besides 3 stats, so it's pretty hard to tell them apart. I recall getting loads and loads of useless inventory items and some would occasionally be better in a small but unexciting way, and then at some point near the end the Spectre weapons show up that are objectively better than everything else before them by like double in all stats.

One small semi-related aspect I did like about that awful inventory was that the various armors had different colors for squadmates, not just Shepard. Otherwise, while the combat/gameplay changes from ME1 to ME2 were completely retconned and not well justified in the setting, they all massively improved the whole thing. I may complain about the number of things one button has to do in ME2 and ME3 but when I think back to ME1's terrible combat it really doesn't seem that bad. I just wish some of the more lore-related things established in ME1 had a bigger influence now, although I haven't finished the SP in ME3 yet so I don't know.

Now that I think about it, considering that I always followed this series because I wanted to talk to a robot, and have the robot tell me about robot philosophy, which was why I got ME3 initially, it really is quite a credit to the quality of the MP that I haven't touched the SP since I started my first bronze match. I'm still only about a third of the way through it by my estimate. Obviously I have a lot of complaints with the MP but they really are in spite of the rest of its qualities.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

waah posted:

Is there a time limit on it? Does it only tech burst if the target is out of shields?

You know I went looking around for info on this and learned that snap freeze tech bursts are bugged and they apparently center on your character instead of the enemy. Anyone confirm that? If that's the case then apparently spamming ED and SF will kill poo poo quickly even without the tech burst so I guess just keep doing that

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

waah posted:

My playstyle is probably far from ideal, but I like to Always Be Snap freezing through walls if there aren't any enemies by me. Keeping a light loadout helps with this, and I've grown fond of the Hurricane on caster classes.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me

waah posted:

I unlocked the N7 Paladin last night and I like it a lot, problem is well on gold I seem to never have a very high score. I mean to the point where I am lagging behind by like 20/30k. I know score really doesn't matter but it makes me feel like I am not pulling my weight. I have my powers setup like on page 2 .... Energy drain 6, snap freeze 6, paladin passive 6, and ice shield. I tried with the piranha, but I always end up on huge maps with that and I can't get ultra rares to drop to save my life.

The Paladin is meant to be an agressive debuff class. The effective range of the pirahna is about the same range as snap freeze with the range evolution. I personally use the same setup, with snap freeze set for range max armor weakening and the ice shield. Those two debuffs stack on each other and will lead to any boss mobs being cut to shreds with focus fire, or even just you with a pirahna.

If you can stand youtube commentary, check out xcalizorz meet the paladin video. I thought the class sucked as well until I saw you really have to get up close to your enemies.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Psion posted:

but did you get your 140k? :v:

No, I've got my feedback set to on so I don't stick around when people start cheating. I ran around like an rear end in a top hat falcon punching primes and dying for a bit before I quit the mission. I'm actually set up to record my Xbox so I started rolling once I saw what he was up to. Maybe I'm being petty but gently caress him, he wasted my amps. If you're going to blatantly cheat say something in the lobby drat it and I'll just move on.

waah posted:

Distruptor ammo will help you tech burst since it primes. What weapons do you have? Post your manifest if you can, it makes making recommendations much easier..

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

waah posted:

Nah, it'll Tech Burst if you hit them during the duration with a detonator power. Fire and Cryo Explosions, on the other hand, require you to kill the primed target with the detonator.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Here is my manifest. I was trying to make a better paladin. I hope it works cause I am doing it from a phone.

http://social.bioware.com/3991881/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_xbox&pid=176694532&display=multiplayer

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I'd run with either your Talon with scope and piercing mods and barrage gear or Piranha with shredder and choke or barrel and choke with AP ammo.

If you took weapon weight reduction at rank 6 of your passive pack a Tempest with piercing and stabilization for backup.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Unfortunately ME1's weapons were basically just Borderlandsized versions of the exact same 4 weapons in terms of their use, model, sounds, and pretty much everything about them besides 3 stats, so it's pretty hard to tell them apart. I recall getting loads and loads of useless inventory items and some would occasionally be better in a small but unexciting way, and then at some point near the end the Spectre weapons show up that are objectively better than everything else before them by like double in all stats.

One small semi-related aspect I did like about that awful inventory was that the various armors had different colors for squadmates, not just Shepard. Otherwise, while the combat/gameplay changes from ME1 to ME2 were completely retconned and not well justified in the setting, they all massively improved the whole thing. I may complain about the number of things one button has to do in ME2 and ME3 but when I think back to ME1's terrible combat it really doesn't seem that bad. I just wish some of the more lore-related things established in ME1 had a bigger influence now, although I haven't finished the SP in ME3 yet so I don't know.

Now that I think about it, considering that I always followed this series because I wanted to talk to a robot, and have the robot tell me about robot philosophy, which was why I got ME3 initially, it really is quite a credit to the quality of the MP that I haven't touched the SP since I started my first bronze match. I'm still only about a third of the way through it by my estimate. Obviously I have a lot of complaints with the MP but they really are in spite of the rest of its qualities.

Thing is that ME1's awful combat is justified by Virmire Base Assault, which is cool as hell (the music, I mean.)

I think I might start running my Turian Sentinel again. I have good memories of disruptor ammo + mattock + overload = all the tech bursts.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Finally unlocked every character class after what seems like forever, Batarian Sentinel and Geth Engineer were my last to unlock. Now I just have a couple ultra rare guns and a couple pieces of gear left to unlock to have access to everything, probably just in time for another DLC to appear.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Operation Survival

Reapers have been reap-afying lots of humans. It's up to your squad to hold out against shitloads of Husks!

Squad Goal: Full Extraction from any Earth DLC map on Gold or Platinum against Reapers.
Allied Goal: Kill 1,000,000 Husks.

Special Circumstance: The only Reaper enemy spawned is the Husk.

:smug: Hell yes.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If they ever fix the desync bug I want an all-Vanguard match goal weekend

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Operation Survival

Reapers have been reap-afying lots of humans. It's up to your squad to hold out against shitloads of Husks!

Squad Goal: Full Extraction from any Earth DLC map on Gold or Platinum against Reapers.

Hell with an event. Make this a permanent option.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Operation Survival

It's the operation the Fury was made for. I can only imagine it would look like a combine harvester mowing a path through undulating grey.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Elotana posted:

If they ever fix the desync bug I want an all-Vanguard match goal weekend

They can just make the objective x amount of vanguards sent flying into the skybox.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Operation: Reach

Squad goal: 15 headshots with the DMR Saber on Reach Earth maps
Allied goal: 15,000 assassinations heavy melee kills on Grunts Cerberus Troopers

Race-specific goals:
Jorge Krogan: 50 kills with the heavy machine gun Typhoon.
Emile Vorcha: 10 kukri omni-claw kills.
Kat Quarian: Complete a hack objective solo. Nemesis rounds upgraded to instakill from behind.
Carter Turian: Crash a Pelican into a Scarab Heavy melee a Brute to death.
Jun Geth: 15 headshots with a sniper rifle sniper rifle
Six N7: Go out like a loving boss Sole Survivor, Wave 11.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 23, 2012

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Wampus42 posted:

It's the operation the Fury was made for. I can only imagine it would look like a combine harvester mowing a path through undulating grey.
Doing Huskapocalypse with a Fury is too easy; Annihilation Field makes it almost impossible for you to be overwhelmed. It's much more fun to rely on massed automatic gunfire and occasional grenades. Similarly, the Demolisher is a bit unfun because they're simply too good at crowd control. On the other hand, seeing someone score a killstreak with a series of "playername [Supply Pylon] Husk" messages on the ticker is hilarious.

If anyone's interested in playing Husk matches (and willing to accept the slight risk of getting banned) then PM me with your Origin name. My previous request didn't turn up enough volunteers to fill a lobby, so if this one goes similarly unanswered then I'll cry myself to sleep wondering why everyone prefers farming over fun stop posting about it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

zxqv8 posted:

Hell with an event. Make this a permanent option.
You'd have to make it a no/trivial-payout option, but I'd still do it every once in a while.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

They'll probably do what Bungie did, though... take the most ludicrously unfair enemy in the game and make a that-pocalypse. In Reach, they did Skirmisher-pocalypse, which was outrageously difficult, so in this, I would guess probably Turret-pocalypse.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

GulMadred posted:

Doing Huskapocalypse with a Fury is too easy; Annihilation Field makes it almost impossible for you to be overwhelmed. It's much more fun to rely on massed automatic gunfire and occasional grenades. Similarly, the Demolisher is a bit unfun because they're simply too good at crowd control. On the other hand, seeing someone score a killstreak with a series of "playername [Supply Pylon] Husk" messages on the ticker is hilarious.

If anyone's interested in playing Husk matches (and willing to accept the slight risk of getting banned) then PM me with your Origin name. My previous request didn't turn up enough volunteers to fill a lobby, so if this one goes similarly unanswered then I'll cry myself to sleep wondering why everyone prefers farming over fun stop posting about it.

So is the Revenant the absolute loving boss of this mode? Or the Typhoon, maybe?
I really, really want to try it but I just don't see how it's gonna happen on 360.
Vanguards must be ok, too?
Though I guess a competent Justicar with Warphere would destroy EVERYTHING.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Hey now, some of Borderlands' guns do different things, like masher pistols (Talon) and eridian weapons with shots that bounced off walls and...wait, I'm supposed to be defending ME1, aren't I? :v: What it really came down to with weapons was there were three tiers of weapon quality with three manufacturers for each tier that would be either damage-oriented, accuracy and cooldown oriented, or balanced. (And then there was also the weird slow-firing Geth Pulse Rifle as a wild card, and the effective fourth tier of the Spectre weapons.) If it had been just that it would've been fine, but then they had to make 10 levels of everything with miniscule improvement and give you ten times as many drops to make sure you could get upgrades and bloooooat. I do feel I should point out though that it wasn't quite the same 4 weapons looks-wise either. There were two different models for each of the four gun types; the ME1 AR models for example became the Avenger and Vindicator in ME2.

Also I feel like I should say "welcome to the club" again about playing MP to the exclusion of SP. You should probably finish up your run when you have time though, because there are a lot of good moments in there, even if it falls apart rapidly toward the end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got the revenant and remembered how much I REALLY LIKE HOLDING DOWN MOUSE 1 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
I tried the revenant IV on my turian soldier and it didn't match up compared to my Harrier I, the difference in damage seemed pretty immense that it didn't seem worth it even with the bigger clip, I mean sure I wasn't tied to an ammo box anymore, but that's not actually that bad a thing when anything you point at dies a quick death.

Am I doing anything wrong?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

No, the harrier is just that strong. It at level 1 feels more effective than the revenant at 10.

e: Yeah, the revenant at 10 has a single clip DPS rating of 861.25, the Harrier at 1 has 973. One of these is clearly more powerful.

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 23, 2012

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Then what's with all the current Revenant love? Just people that haven't lucked out and got the Harrier yet?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

It's a reasonable facsimile when you haven't obtained the glory of the Harrier.

Also, not being tied to ammo boxes is a notable difference.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Okay after failing at Vorcha Soldier I tried this Vorcha Sentinel build on a lark and it is just the bees knees. Essentially the PPR takes the place of Flamer allowing you to max out everything else, plus go for broke on melee to have fun with mobs since you can safely put a hurt on bosses from a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

The Neal! posted:

Then what's with all the current Revenant love? Just people that haven't lucked out and got the Harrier yet?

Because sometimes it's just fun to strut about with the trigger held down shooting bullets wherever I happen to be looking? Yes, even on gold (I'm too poo poo to farm plat; can't comment). When the big bags of health show up, then I just switch on over to whatever else I have on hand.

• Locked thread