Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Spellican is an amazing name. Who has the job naming things in this game? They need all the raises.

Pierce posted:

I should sell my 3DS because y'know, games. Seriously, there is frustration with both consoles. I don't have poo poo to look forward to on the 3DS for the rest of this year.

In the meantime, this KH kicks rear end. I've also seen a lot of complaints on here regarding the camera and flowmotion. I use the bottom screen to establish my route and move into better attack position using flowmotion. Any other tips for this? I'm on the last world and there is a bit of a difficulty spike.

I'd have probably gotten rid of my 3DS by now if not Shin Megami Tensei 4 coming out on it eventually. Similarly, P4G is the only reason I'm considering getting a Vita.

Atlus is full of jerks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Jesus Christ, gently caress Spellican and what he does.

Just wait. End game throws some crazy poo poo at you. Although Chernoboggave me the hardest time (with the exception of my stupidity on the last boss).

Meowjesty posted:

Spellican is an amazing name. Who has the job naming things in this game? They need all the raises.

I'd have probably gotten rid of my 3DS by now if not Shin Megami Tensei 4 coming out on it eventually. Similarly, P4G is the only reason I'm considering getting a Vita.

Atlus is full of jerks. :v:

With you on both accounts. I grabbed the Vita for P4G and keeping the 3DS for SMT4, EO4, and Soul Hackers. The future looks awesome for both systems. But right now they are running neck and neck. That being said, I got a ton of good play from KHDDD. New experience for me with KH and it loving ruled.

Pierce fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 21, 2012

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
e: see above

Pierce fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 21, 2012

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Jesus Christ, gently caress Spellican and what he does.

Yeah, if you are talking about three boss rush mode thing in Traverse Town, that is a bitch, if you are talking about the actual boss fight with him, that is also kind of a bitch. I found the best way to deal with him is constant dream links.

Notinghamington fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 21, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Notinghamington posted:

Yeah, if you are talking about three boss rush mode thing in Traverse Town, that is a bitch, if you are talking about the actual boss fight with him, that is also kind of a bitch. I found the best way to deal with him is constant dream links.

It's one of those moments where I wish this game and its predecessors let me hold down block instead of timing it. :negative:

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Pierce posted:

gently caress. I'm on the Ventus Armor and don't know what to do with the loving crosshairs. Anyone?

You mean that part isn't scripted? Even on Critical I just mashed A and never got hit once, seems like I just got lucky.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Black Feather posted:

You mean that part isn't scripted? Even on Critical I just mashed A and never got hit once, seems like I just got lucky.

Nope, it will kick your rear end and it seems like there could be a pattern. I just didn't last long enough to find it. I beat the bastard 4 times with no deaths. I am a Bad Gamer.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I just started playing and I had a couple questions regarding spirits. What does affinity do? It's always varying between empty and max and I have no idea why or what increasing the maximum amount does. Also, how often should I be changing who is in my party? Should I be 100%ing each and every one?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

kthegreat posted:

I just started playing and I had a couple questions regarding spirits. What does affinity do? It's always varying between empty and max and I have no idea why or what increasing the maximum amount does. Also, how often should I be changing who is in my party? Should I be 100%ing each and every one?

Affinity affects how often your Spirit helps you out. How much it attacks, how often it casts support skills, etc. Basically, the more it loves you, the more it's gonna help you out in battle. You should definitely be rotating some of your spirits, although keep at least one with you at all times that gives you whatever skills you want. You really want to fill out all the permanent skills asap

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You really want to fill out all the permanent skills asap
I know it was mentioned how to tell which were earlier in this thread, but I can't remember at this point and I'm not sure where exactly to search for it. So could someone repeat how to tell if skills are permanent?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

kthegreat posted:

I know it was mentioned how to tell which were earlier in this thread, but I can't remember at this point and I'm not sure where exactly to search for it. So could someone repeat how to tell if skills are permanent?

The ones with the Spirit/Dream Eater logo on them are only in affect if the spirit is in your party. These are mostly just stat boosts like the different Haste/Screen/Boost things. They're also all on the leftmost column in the Abilities menu on the start menu. The abilities that stay with you once you've unlocked them are just red/purple circles on the Ability Link menu and are the other two columns in the Abilities menu. These are all attacks, except for the 3 purple ones: Once More, Leaf Bracer, Second Chance.

tl;dr Once More, Leaf Bracer, Second Chance, any skill that's a command or Combo Plus, and/or purple or red on the Ability Link menu are permanent. Stat boosts are not permanent.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Can someone explain the basic of this game to me? I understand a small majority of going from one part to another, I do. However, I don't understand this whole "drop" mess. I just used Riku to fight Hockomonkey and then I was promoted to drop with Sora. So, now I'm using Sora and I just glided one some green rail and I'm going to travel that way.

Although, there seems to be maybe 20 different things that I don't understand. understand that i call on other sprits to work as "allies" from other portals, but I need to watch the number of stars they have so I'm not overtaken. I also understand that I can level up my current Dream Eaters. I don't understand that whole level up and accessing new skills for Sora and Riku with them, though.

I want to enjoy this game with my entire heart, but it's definitely not as easily understood as I remember when I played the first two.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh man... I'm at that fight again. In all of my life I don't think there's a single non optional boss in any game that's given me as much trouble as Ansem/Riku. I can already recite the preceeding cutscene from memory. It's not so much his "Behold the power of darkness!" sonic blade explosion attack as him staying permanently in glowy form once that starts and I'm terrible at dealing damage to him in that state.

Five times and counting.

edit: Finally managing to get the timing to block and counter his more powerful attacks. Just need to tighten it up. 11th try go.
edit2: Got it that try! Time for my favourite cutscene. Now that I think about it were Sora and Ansem just having a massive fight, part of which involved the entire arena exploding multiple times, while Kairi was just lying there in the middle?

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 22, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ActionZero posted:

Oh man... I'm at that fight again. In all of my life I don't think there's a single non optional boss in any game that's given me as much trouble as Ansem/Riku. I can already recite the preceeding cutscene from memory. It's not so much his "Behold the power of darkness!" sonic blade explosion attack as him staying permanently in glowy form once that starts and I'm terrible at dealing damage to him in that state.

Five times and counting.

Glide and counter are your best friends in that fight.

"IT IS I, ANSEM, SEEKER OF THE DARKNESS!"

I also died to him a ton my first time

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Glide and counter are your best friends in that fight.

"IT IS I, ANSEM, SEEKER OF THE DARKNESS!"

I also died to him a ton my first time

I was 50 kinds of loving stupid on the final boss and beat Ansem on the first try.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I want to say that they really hit out of the park with 3DS' soundtrack. The battle musics in particular are fantastic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think this every game that he's not voicing Ansem, but dammit I miss Billy Zane voicing Ansem. Richard Epcar just doesn't fill that hole in my heart for all of that Billy Zane ham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHqh3QmUkvc

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I think this every game that he's not voicing Ansem, but dammit I miss Billy Zane voicing Ansem. Richard Epcar just doesn't fill that hole in my heart for all of that Billy Zane ham.

I know what you mean. It wouldn't mind it too much if Zane hadn't knocked it out of the park right at the start.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Billy Zane was so awesome. The part where he goes "every light must fade. Every heart return to DARKNESS!!!" is delivered so awesome. Was there any explanation why he wasn't Ansem in future games?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Billy Zane was so awesome. The part where he goes "every light must fade. Every heart return to DARKNESS!!!" is delivered so awesome. Was there any explanation why he wasn't Ansem in future games?

Not a big enough role to be worth paying Zane for, I guess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Macaluso posted:

It was because he was blacklisted for doing an overseas movie that was found to be very anti-American, I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_the_Wolves_Iraq

That is the movie in question, but I don't believe it was ever confirmed this happened or it was why he couldn't appear in the KH games. I doubt it was a money issue as KH makes loads of cash in the West and it's not like Billy Zane really starred in A-List movies after Titanic, I mean the movie basically relegated him to Mark Hamill status.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 23, 2012

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Sex_Ferguson posted:

My biggest dissappointment when I started playing KH2 was the first time there was a flashback where Ansem appeared and the voice wasn't Billy Zane. He did an absolutely fantastic job and I wish he was still doing it.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It was because he was blacklisted for doing an overseas movie that was found to be very anti-American, I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_the_Wolves_Iraq

That is the movie in question, but I don't believe it was ever confirmed this happened or it was why he couldn't appear in the KH games. I doubt it was a money issue as KH makes loads of cash in the West and it's not like Billy Zane really starred in A-List movies after Titanic, I mean the movie basically relegated him to Mark Hamill status.

Billy Zane's best performance was in Demon Knight:colbert:

And this makes me sad as this was my first KH.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I've started playing Re: Chain of Memories, having just finished Kingdom Hearts, and I have two questions.

• What the gently caress happened to Sora's voice? :stare:
  • How do I not suck at this game? The Key of Beginnings room in Wonderland repeatedly kicked my rear end before I figured out how to handle myself there. Does anybody have tips for deck-building and general combat strategy, seeing as I only really knew how to mash Blizzard and Graviga in KH1?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I've started playing Re: Chain of Memories, having just finished Kingdom Hearts, and I have two questions.

[list]
[*]What the gently caress happened to Sora's voice? :stare:

Haley Joel Osment voiced Sora in the original KH when he was 14 in 2002. RE: Chain of Memories was brought to the states in 2008... you do the math.

quote:

How do I not suck at this game? The Key of Beginnings room in Wonderland repeatedly kicked my rear end before I figured out how to handle myself there. Does anybody have tips for deck-building and general combat strategy, seeing as I only really knew how to mash Blizzard and Graviga in KH1?

Do you fully understand how the game's battle system works or is that what you need help with? Provide a few more details as to what you're not understanding.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

To be fair, Haley Joel Osment (born 1988) was 14 when KH1 was released (2002) and 19 when Re:CoM was released (2007). He's now 24. Things like this tend to happen when game-time progresses only a year or two while the VAs are now a decade older. (And more importantly, that decade is a teenager to adult transition which will have some voice changes.)

In short, it's probably best to blame Nomura for dragging things out forever and not including sensible time-skips.

e:f;b

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

• What the gently caress happened to Sora's voice? :stare:
  • How do I not suck at this game? The Key of Beginnings room in Wonderland repeatedly kicked my rear end before I figured out how to handle myself there. Does anybody have tips for deck-building and general combat strategy, seeing as I only really knew how to mash Blizzard and Graviga in KH1?

Pay close attention to the order of your cards. Sleights take three cards that add up to a certain amount, so find some sleights you like and build accordingly. Also, you can combine multiples of fire, blizzard, cure, etc. to turn them into higher level spells. There are also higher level sleights that combine magic and attack cards... Experiment.

Also, save up the friend cards you get randomly in battle and combine them. Three Donalds combined casts third level spells. I actually really like Re:Chain's combat system :shobon:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Stack your high level cards at the front end, put 3 or so 0 cards at the back for quick breaking.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone have have any tips for combat in KH3D? I'm going against Warogyle with Riku and I just seem to be everywhere with no real plan of attack.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks; I'll keep all of that in mind. Do cards get burned if I stock/combo them for additional clout, or do I only lose them for the battle's duration if they form a sleight?

The stuff about using friend card sleights should help massively as well. The biggest problem I've had is just that I'm finally getting to rooms where the enemies have cards as powerful as mine; Wonderland's Key of Beginnings room (battle with a horde of the Queen of Hearts's spade soldiers) seemed to pull out sevens on more than half their attacks, breaking every magic, summon, and heal I tried to use. My mistake was trying to wait for them to use weaker cards that I could counter, rather than just countering their heavy hits with heavier hits. :)

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Thanks; I'll keep all of that in mind. Do cards get burned if I stock/combo them for additional clout, or do I only lose them for the battle's duration if they form a sleight?

The stuff about using friend card sleights should help massively as well. The biggest problem I've had is just that I'm finally getting to rooms where the enemies have cards as powerful as mine; Wonderland's Key of Beginnings room (battle with a horde of the Queen of Hearts's spade soldiers) seemed to pull out sevens on more than half their attacks, breaking every magic, summon, and heal I tried to use. My mistake was trying wait for them to use weaker cards that I could counter, rather than just countering their heavy hits with heavier hits. :)

Pretty sure you only lose those cards for the duration of the fight, unless you use an Elixir or something.

EDIT: Misread what you said. I think even a "failed" sleight gets rid of the cards for the battle, so be careful. I could be wrong about that, though.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
...I think I just turned all my best cards into premiums, only to find out that premium cards don't reload in battle. :gonk:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

...I think I just turned all my best cards into premiums, only to find out that premium cards don't reload in battle. :gonk:

Ah I remember doing this.

Good times.

:smithicide:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone have have any tips for combat in KH3D? I'm going against Warogyle with Riku and I just seem to be everywhere with no real plan of attack.

That's his first boss, right? Just jump on the railings so you Flowmo, then attack. It does ridiculous amounts of damage.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

That voice :allears:

I still maintain that KH1 has the best plot of the series. Mostly because of its simplicity. None of this convoluted bullshit. That said, KH2 does have Paul St. Peter going for it though. For every Billy Zane's "Darkness!", this is St. Peter's "NOTHINGNESS!".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate to say this, but Paul St. Peter as Xemnas really is boring. I cannot care about anything that comes out of his mouth because not only is his dialogue terrible, it's just delivered in such a dull manner. I mean I love Paul St. Peter and his work, but Xemnas really is not one of his better roles.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Put premiums every third card, starting with the first one. That way, it's the first card in a sleight so you'd lose it anyway

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Terper posted:

That's his first boss, right? Just jump on the railings so you Flowmo, then attack. It does ridiculous amounts of damage.

Nah, the first boss is the Hockomonkey thing. Wargoyle is the Hunchback world boss.

For Riku's case, hop onto the air. The boss' attacks all become laughably easy to dodge once you're airborne. A few ranged commands (Strike Raid, Fire, whatever) will set you on your way to killing him.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
That's strange, I was playing on expert mode and I sealed all the keyholes but Another Side Another Story didn't play after the credits. I'm planning to reload and do the Hades Cup and other optional bosses so maybe that'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ActionZero posted:

That's strange, I was playing on expert mode and I sealed all the keyholes but Another Side Another Story didn't play after the credits. I'm planning to reload and do the Hades Cup and other optional bosses so maybe that'll work.

I haven't played this game, so I'm only going on youtube videos, but don't you also have to answer the questions at the end a specific way?