Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

OneTymChampion posted:

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 on eBay. It is brand new. When I entered the micro sim card into the phone, the phone said it was activated already. It was someone elses number. I was receiving their texts, calls, etc. I can even make calls and use 4g. I haven't personally activated a plan yet. I've never used sim cards before having been on just Virgin Mobile. I've ordered the sim card activation kit from T-Mobile so I can activate on the $30 prepaid plan. Should I just chuck the micro sim card and use the one I get from the kit?
Factory reset the phone and pop in your SIM, go from there.
You didn't get a sprint/VZW S3 somehow, did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTymChampion
Mar 3, 2003
No. The phone is T-Mobile branded. The first text I got from T-Mobile was welcoming me and showed the person's phone number. When I go to the settings phone status, it shows as in service but "My phone number" shows as unknown. The eBay seller is from Plano, Texas and the area code of the person's phone number I have is from Plano, Texas.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I put my Virgin Mobile Optimus V in the washer today. :(
It's sitting in a bowl of rice, but I'm thinking it's not gonna magically heal itself, and it's been a few years, so I'm out of warranty. Time for a new phone!
The HTC One V looks pretty badass, and with a comparable price to the Optimus Elite and Optimus Slider, I'm wondering if there's any reason NOT to get it?
I've been really happy with VM the last 2 years or so, it's been my first smartphone and I'm sad to see her die. :(

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Quad posted:

It's sitting in a bowl of rice, but I'm thinking it's not gonna magically heal itself, and it's been a few years, so I'm out of warranty. Time for a new phone!
The HTC One V looks pretty badass, and with a comparable price to the Optimus Elite and Optimus Slider, I'm wondering if there's any reason NOT to get it?
I've been really happy with VM the last 2 years or so, it's been my first smartphone and I'm sad to see her die. :(

If you're on a grandfathered $25 plan, you'll be upped to $35 going with that phone, just FYI.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

If you're on a grandfathered $25 plan, you'll be upped to $35 going with that phone, just FYI.

Ehh, I had a good run at $25, $35 is still better than, what, like $80/month for an unlimited iPhone contract?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Quad posted:

I don't know much about the one v the specs look pretty low end, 512 ram and a single core at 1ghz running sense will be insanely frustrating. Also I think it looks stupid with that lip at the bottom. If you're grandfathered into the 25/Mo plan you're going to be bumped to 35/mo. It is on sale for $160 now though, so if you're not on the $25 it wouldn't be too bad of a deal. If you are I'd look around at other prepaid options. $35/Mo can get you a good deal on way better networks and you can use pretty much any phone you'd want.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Quad posted:

Ehh, I had a good run at $25, $35 is still better than, what, like $80/month for an unlimited iPhone contract?

For 2 year commitments:

Verizon is $100 month for unlimited minutes and messages + 2gb data.

AT&T is $89 month for 450 minutes, unlimited messages + 3gb data.

Anyone who still has unlimited data CAN still retain it, they just can't upgrade their phone or to the new plans so basically they have to buy their phone for unsubsidized prices or used/refurbished.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Long Francesco posted:

I don't know much about the one v the specs look pretty low end, 512 ram and a single core at 1ghz running sense will be insanely frustrating.

Compared to the Optimus V though, the HTC One seems like alien future-tech. Android 4.0? Holy crap, I think that'll let me use MORE than 30% of the apps on Google Play!

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Yeah going to any phone made in the last year or two will be a huge step up over the ov. Although have fun waiting at a loading screen while sense loads every time you switch out of one of those new fancy apps. Or any app really.

The way I see it is being bumped up to 35/mo if you get this at $160, you will be spending $240 more over two years. Making the total cost of getting the one v $400.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So, am I right in thinking that by using the whole "port your number to GV, then just forward all calls to your ST #" thing, I basically can't get MMSes?

If people text my old number, to goes to GV, and GV doesn't do MMS...or maybe it just sends it to my gmail account?

I just can't send an MMS using my old number...I'd have to email it if I want it to show up as being "from me" if they don't also have my new #?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I can buy an unsubsidized t-mo S III at BestBuy and activate it on the wal-mart plans with an activation kit from the t-mo site, right?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

DrBouvenstein posted:

So, am I right in thinking that by using the whole "port your number to GV, then just forward all calls to your ST #" thing, I basically can't get MMSes?

If people text my old number, to goes to GV, and GV doesn't do MMS...or maybe it just sends it to my gmail account?

I just can't send an MMS using my old number...I'd have to email it if I want it to show up as being "from me" if they don't also have my new #?

No, if someone sends a MMS it disappears into a black hole. It's theoretically a problem, though if my friends have ever sent me one, I've never known the difference. We use SMS and calling for communication, facebook/flickr/whatever for pictures. Your mileage may vary.

In return I get a number that won't ever change and can forward to any phone in the world, free US calls from anywhere in the world, cheap rates on international calls, texting/calling from my laptop, and emails with voicemail transcripts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spengler posted:

I can buy an unsubsidized t-mo S III at BestBuy and activate it on the wal-mart plans with an activation kit from the t-mo site, right?

Yup as long as you buy a unlocked phone with GSM frequencies, it's as simple as just installing in the SIM card.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Nevermind.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 20, 2012

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Hi, I have a question that's probably really stupid, but I'm having trouble finding a straight answer online, which is probably my fault, so I'm hoping that you upstanding individuals can help me.

The ICS update for Verizon devices like the Droid 4 opens their ability to use their GSM radio, right (and, please, correct me if I'm wrong there?) If so, does that also mean that you could bring a device like the Droid 4 to Straight Talk, or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Thank you for your help in advance.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
edit: Wrong thread!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 20, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Quad posted:

It's worth mentioning that fully functional Optimus V's are like $40 on eBay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Virgin-Mobi...8#ht_752wt_1109

So if you really want to keep your $25 plan, that's hardly breaking the bank.

Also they run an ICS Rom right now called Quattrimus, I flashed it for my boss and he thinks it's the best phone ever. Then again he's over 50 and from Eastern Europe so Android in general is mind blowing for him.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 20, 2012

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Farchanter posted:

Hi, I have a question that's probably really stupid, but I'm having trouble finding a straight answer online, which is probably my fault, so I'm hoping that you upstanding individuals can help me.

The ICS update for Verizon devices like the Droid 4 opens their ability to use their GSM radio, right (and, please, correct me if I'm wrong there?) If so, does that also mean that you could bring a device like the Droid 4 to Straight Talk, or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Thank you for your help in advance.
I can't answer anything about the Droid 4 specifically, but chances are the GSM SIM is locked or locked for domestic carriers. You'd have to unlock it for it to work with ATT/T-mobile/Straight Talk. And make sure it has the 850/1900 bands for it to work on ATT/Straigt Talk. Since Verizon only intended for it to be a World Phone, it may only have 900/2100 bands that are common in Europe.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Quad posted:

I was in the exact same boat as you a week or two ago, and I picked up the HTC Evo V. Compared to the Optimus V it's like phone sex. I haven't had any problems with it and have been pretty happy. It was on sale for $240, not sure if it still is.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Got AT&T to unlock that giant fuckin' i-717 Note I got on eBay, and I'm happy to report that after flashing Jellybean and the T-Mobile Blaze Radio, I've got the thing running on the $30 T-Mo plan with respectable speeds.

Don't expect to stream Netflix on it, but I biked an hour home with Spotify playing and no stutters there. Other than the network speed difference, it's the same thing as the T-Mobile version but $200 less on the open market.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Dumb question, but what's the point of a proxy server?

My wife bought me a Galaxy Nexus for my birthday last month that I'm using with Straight Talk, but half the time I try and load a webpage it fails and I have a pop up error message that says something to the effect of "authentication via the proxy server was unsuccessful" - I have to keep reloading a page until it eventually loads, and then on occasion it'll actually load the page but still give me the pop up error. I also have been having a lot of connection issues in apps as well, which I suspect is related to the proxy server thing.

I've tried turning my phone on and off, I've done a factory reset, but I finally was able to fix it by going into my APN settings and simply deleting the proxy server entries. Now things work great, no more error messages, apps work well, but I'm not sure why. What exactly does an APN proxy server do, and what does it mean for me now that I've deleted it?

DEO3 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 21, 2012

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
What kind of data speeds are people getting with the T-Mobile $30/mo "4G" plan? With my Galaxy Nexus I'm getting around 500 kbps down and it always seems to drop down to "3G" from HSPA "4G" ("H" next to the signal bars) almost immediately whenever I start doing anything data-related. This doesn't seem to be affected by location or signal strength.

I know it's not my phone because I was on StraightTalk AT&T last month (because I was visiting a relative in an area only covered by AT&T) and I was able to get a stable HSPA connection and 2 Mbps down consistently. 500 kbps is fine for only $30/month (and I spend 90% of my time around wifi connections anyways) but I'm wondering if this is common or if there's something wrong with the towers in my area or what.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Mr.Radar posted:

What kind of data speeds are people getting with the T-Mobile $30/mo "4G" plan? With my Galaxy Nexus I'm getting around 500 kbps down and it always seems to drop down to "3G" from HSPA "4G" ("H" next to the signal bars) almost immediately whenever I start doing anything data-related. This doesn't seem to be affected by location or signal strength.

I know it's not my phone because I was on StraightTalk AT&T last month (because I was visiting a relative in an area only covered by AT&T) and I was able to get a stable HSPA connection and 2 Mbps down consistently. 500 kbps is fine for only $30/month (and I spend 90% of my time around wifi connections anyways) but I'm wondering if this is common or if there's something wrong with the towers in my area or what.
I posted this a couple of weeks ago

I've never seen it drop to 3G or had any problems with it whatsoever.

e: I'm in Austin.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 21, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I get 12000 down on my SGSII, hell I get 4000 on my AT&T Note and that's not even supposed to fully work on T-Mo freqs.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

This is in Massachusetts:

This is on a Galaxy Nexus on the $30 plan. It varies, but that was the one time I tried speedtest just for curiosity's sake.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Huh. I'm in the Twin Cities, could any other TC goons post their results? Maybe there is something wrong with my phone, but only on T-Mobile's frequencies? I also tried a different speed test (the one you guys are posting) than the one I'd been using and it's reporting better speeds (2-4 Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up) but they're not consistent and depend heavily on whether it can keep a "4G" signal for the entire speed test or if it drops down to "3G" during it. I'll do more testing when I get home.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Huh. I'm in the Twin Cities, could any other TC goons post their results? Maybe there is something wrong with my phone, but only on T-Mobile's frequencies? I also tried a different speed test (the one you guys are posting) than the one I'd been using and it's reporting better speeds (2-4 Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up) but they're not consistent and depend heavily on whether it can keep a "4G" signal for the entire speed test or if it drops down to "3G" during it. I'll do more testing when I get home.

To quote myself from the first page:

Lblitzer posted:

T-Mobile's coverage in the Minneapolis/St. Paul is pretty good, have had a few weird spots where it seemed to slip in and out but I'm getting 2.6mbps down and 1.6mbps up about in the NW suburbs. Nothing on Verizon's 4G but still adequate for most things.

This was with the Exhibit 4G

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

To quote myself from the first page:
:words:
This was with the Exhibit 4G

Thanks. Those speeds are consistent with what I'm getting with the SpeedTest app so maybe T-Mobile just sucks around here (speed-wise). And for $30/mo I'm not going to complain too much.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

DEO3 posted:

What exactly does an APN proxy server do, and what does it mean for me now that I've deleted it?

From what I've read the proxy server is used to measure data and block things like Youtube and stream media that Straight Talk doesn't allow on their service. I've never used it and I've never had connection problems relating to a proxy server, but I have had connection problems like you described.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
So I think I'm going to wait through the end of the year to see what new Google phones might come out but now I need a temporary phone to last me a couple months. I don't want to spend really more than say about $150 right now. Any recommendations on what will work with the T-Mob 4G plan that will at least be able to stream Pandora and has Exchange email available in that price range? I've been thinking about grabbing a Sidekick 4G off Ebay for around $170 yay or nay? I currently have an Optimus S so nearly anything will be an upgrade honestly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The Sidekick 4G is pretty awful. An Exhibit II (sorry, Slopehead) is $120 on eBay, and has a ballin' build of CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich that takes 5 minutes to put on there. Here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Exh...#ht_1472wt_1338

From the photo, I can see the two plastic tabs near the power button which means whoever was using it never removed the factory installed screen protector.

Nab that thing and it'll still sell for about the same price (more if you put CM9 on it) when you relist it in a few months.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

The Sidekick 4G is pretty awful. An Exhibit II (sorry, Slopehead) is $120 on eBay, and has a ballin' build of CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich that takes 5 minutes to put on there. Here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Exh...#ht_1472wt_1338

From the photo, I can see the two plastic tabs near the power button which means whoever was using it never removed the factory installed screen protector.

Nab that thing and it'll still sell for about the same price (more if you put CM9 on it) when you relist it in a few months.

Thanks for the advice :) Dumb question but is this the same phone? http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/Samsung-Exhibit-4G-Prepaid If so I think that'd be a better deal since it's brand new, comes with a charger, and works out about the same price since you get a $50 card with it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh I totally thought that deal expired (I posted it in Coupons in the first place). Yes, it's the same phone. Get that one new and you can put the card straight into your balance.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
No offense taken dude! We hashed it out pages ago, my main concern was the pricetag for performance ratio. $120(new or very good condition used) is a solid price for the Exhibit 2, even with that terrible screen. At this stage my only major concern is suggesting aftermarket roms for new(ish) users. At best they should stick with stock until they're familiar with what rooting entails and the tradeoffs of the aftermarket scene. What is "like five minutes for zero VGS" is a good day or two of solid research to a greenhorn.

Just something to consider. Maybe you (being the guy who literally wont shut up about it :P ) should put together a lengthy informational post and throw it up in the riding rooted thread and crosslink it here for continuity? I'd be down with that.

Fake edit: hi the kawaiiest I hope you like austin. Hot this year, no?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Slopehead posted:

Fake edit: hi the kawaiiest I hope you like austin. Hot this year, no?
It's not as bad as last year actually! But yeah I like it here okay. Except that it's impossible to go anywhere without a car and I don't drive so that's a bit of a problem but oh well. Also it rains like twice a year and I hate that. But compared to where I was living before, Austin is much better.

e: I bought a used G2X on eBay and it's a really great phone, no complaints (except that I can't upgrade to ICS). I paid $200 for it. It's really fast and has a nice camera.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Slopehead posted:

Maybe you (being the guy who literally wont shut up about it :P ) should put together a lengthy informational post and throw it up in the riding rooted thread and crosslink it here for continuity? I'd be down with that.

No need to be lengthy, he's a summary of the XDA steps with some plagiarism:

1) Copy these three zip files:
http://d-h.st/6fS
http://d-h.st/yMY
http://d-h.st/E0r

onto the root of your external SD card.

2) Boot into recovery.

* Pull the battery from your phone.
* Connect phone to your pc via usb.
* Press & hold Volume-up
* Insert battery

3) Press the capacitive menu button (left bottom button) when you see the open white box and droid. Choose 'apply update from sdcard' and select the cwm.galaxy.exhibit.zip file.

4) Repeat step 2 to boot into the new recovery you just flashed.

5) Use the up and down volume to browse menus, and the Menu capacitive button to select. Go to "install zip from SD card", and browse to cm-9-20120814-UNOFFICIAL-ancora_tmo.zip and select/confirm it, it will flash.

6) Do the same with gapps.now.20120429.m6.zip

You now have rooted Ice Cream Sandwich CM9 on Galaxy Exhibit II / 4G, with Google Now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
New phones for Boost and Virgin:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/22/3261452/boost-virgin-prepaid-carries-Galaxy

The Reverb seems like a decent competitor for the One V and Evo V, slotting between the two in size with a better proc for $250.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Mr.Radar posted:

What kind of data speeds are people getting with the T-Mobile $30/mo "4G" plan?

I'm getting around 2m down/1.5m up sitting in my apartment. In other parts of Madison (WI), I can get as high as 6 down and 3ish up. But those times are pretty rare since I'm almost always around Wifi.

Oh, and today marks one month since I've moved over to the plan. No regrets -- once I got GrooveIP up and running, my occasional issues at work have gone away. Yay Wifi.

About the only thing I wish I could do is get away from using Google Voice's SMS client, since it seems rather bad. But since I need to route SMS messages over Wifi at work, it's my only real choice (that I know of). Are there any better options that'll send messages using the Wifi connection and show my Google Voice number? One other small thing with GV for me is that I have to duck out to the default messaging client to send a picture message. Not a big deal since I only send them to a couple of people and they know the phone's real number. Here's to hoping that GV gets MMS support in soon.

But yeah. for the price drop ($100 -> $28.70), it is well worth it, and I wish I had done it sooner.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Deciding between the Galaxy Nexus and S3. Anyone have any thoughts on either on what would be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Verge had two of the writers argue for each phone:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/9/3146548/galaxy-nexus-jelly-bean-android-ping-counterping

Basically came down to "Jelly Bean! Stock Android!" vs. "Better hardware! TouchWiz isn't an automatic fail!". Seems like Jelly Bean is coming to the S3 soon, so keep that in mind.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 23, 2012

• Locked thread