Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

OP might also want to add a tip about not consuming fire keeper souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

In under Final Tips.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Is, is that a cosplayer? I hope if anyone cosplays as a DS character someone runs up, jams something into their back, then kicks them to the floor. Just to give them that :darksouls: experience.

Cosplay bashing aside. That is a pretty nifty photo.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Unbeknowsnt posted:

Is, is that a cosplayer? I hope if anyone cosplays as a DS character someone runs up, jams something into their back, then kicks them to the floor. Just to give them that :darksouls: experience.

It would probably be a more accurate cosplay if the guy himself was on fire while three other people teabagged his corpse.

Anyway - as a not-rich person who doesn't own a console, I've never played this, but managed to get a copy in my Steam inventory. I was wondering if anybody could tell me a couple of technical details about the multiplayer (assuming it hasn't changed). I don't have ports open, so I was wondering if multiplayer (invasions or otherwise) is hosted on your machine/console or on a game server. Being in Australia means that I'd have an excessive ping trying to connect to an American datacenter (which, considering the game, would not end well), but if the singleplayer worlds are also hosted on said American datacenter, that's a whole other problem (I hate singleplayer games needing to be connected to the internet).

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Unbeknowsnt posted:

I think that's from the guy who wanted to do a live action Dark Souls movie/show and was part of the proof of concept trailer.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dreggon posted:

It would probably be a more accurate cosplay if the guy himself was on fire while three other people teabagged his corpse.

Anyway - as a not-rich person who doesn't own a console, I've never played this, but managed to get a copy in my Steam inventory. I was wondering if anybody could tell me a couple of technical details about the multiplayer (assuming it hasn't changed). I don't have ports open, so I was wondering if multiplayer (invasions or otherwise) is hosted on your machine/console or on a game server. Being in Australia means that I'd have an excessive ping trying to connect to an American datacenter (which, considering the game, would not end well), but if the singleplayer worlds are also hosted on said American datacenter, that's a whole other problem (I hate singleplayer games needing to be connected to the internet).

If it works like the console versions then the multiplayer will use a peer to peer connection. Your "world" is hosted on your own machine, so there won't be lag during singleplayer, but being that it uses GFWL you may need to be connected to the internet to access savefiles (don't quote me on this, not all that familiar with GFWL).

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Dreggon posted:

Well for the consoles the host (invaded) is the server. The game does feature an offline mode (again console) so I'm sure no internet will be required once you are up and running. This is assuming GFLW (or whatever) isn't a complete pain in the rear end that demands internet.

biggfoo posted:

I think that's from the guy who wanted to do a live action Dark Souls movie/show and was part of the proof of concept trailer.

I had talked to someone about a movie idea being kinda cool. Although I always pondered how they would portray it. I would hope the protagonist would get his teeth kicked in on certain boss fights and respawn at a bonfire. Though the dialogue would be kinda limited. Would the protagonist have a voice?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

loving things up permanently is part of the fun!

voltron lion force posted:

If it works like the console versions then the multiplayer will use a peer to peer connection. Your "world" is hosted on your own machine, so there won't be lag during singleplayer, but being that it uses GFWL you may need to be connected to the internet to access savefiles (don't quote me on this, not all that familiar with GFWL).

Not sure how the PC will handle it but the console versions can be played entirely offline if you wish. It means you'll never be invaded by players, won't see any of the help signs all over the world, and can't access some of the covenant stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 23, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Any idea what kind of cheat protections they've got in place? Seems like a really drastically game-able system, but if Sony made the engine, hell, they've got in some poo poo for sticking rootkits on music CDs in the past, I'd be interested to hear what's keeping PC users from doing whatever they want. If it's GFWL, is it also Steam VAC enabled? Can that even be a thing?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

quote:

Minimum system requirements

CPU: AMD(R) Phenom II X2 545 3,0 Ghz
Intel(R) Pentium Core(TM) 2 Duo E6850 3,0 Ghz
Memory: 2 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 9800 GTX+
ATI Radeon(TM) HD 4870
DirectX: DirectX(R) 9.0c
Hard Disk: At least 8.0GB of free space
Sound: Any sound card that supports at least DirectX 9.0c
Network: Internet connection required for the initial license activation and online play

Recommended system requirements

CPU: Intel(R) i5 750 2.66 Ghz / AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0 Ghz
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX series or higher video card
ATI Radeon(TM) HD Series 6X or higher video card
Hard Disk: At least 8.0GB of free space
Sound: Any sound card that supports at least DirectX 9.0c
Network: Internet connection required for the initial license activation and online play

System Requirements taken from the games readme.

Final install size is 3.6GB

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Agreed posted:

Any idea what kind of cheat protections they've got in place? Seems like a really drastically game-able system, but if Sony made the engine, hell, they've got in some poo poo for sticking rootkits on music CDs in the past, I'd be interested to hear what's keeping PC users from doing whatever they want. If it's GFWL, is it also Steam VAC enabled? Can that even be a thing?

I hope it's better than the console cheat safeguards. For fucks sake, hackers on consoles are real douche bags.

Aug 24, 2011

Unbeknowsnt posted:

I hope it's better than the console cheat safeguards. For fucks sake, hackers on consoles are real douche bags.

I really liked the video of the guy who cheated for instant-cast spells, invaded some guy's world and then used level-drain on him repeatedly.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone know what the story is with keys from Green Man Gaming? The game unlocks on Steam in what, like 14 hours, and I still don't have any keys attached to my purchase - the game's info page just says "This game is not available for download yet. It will be on . Any required keys will be made available on that date. "

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Green Man Gaming will give you your key once the game is out. I've bought several games from them before, they're legit, don't worry.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, they may be sent out once the date ticks over to the 24th, or when the game unlocks on Steam in 13 hours.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Wait. There's seriously no way to play the game at a higher resolution than 1024x768? :psyduck:

What is this madness, I wanted to buy DS on PC but now there's no way I'm even touching it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can crank up the resolution output but the internal renderer will run at 720p fixed.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yep, something about them not wanting the PC version to look better than the console ones or something. Garbage.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

You can crank up the resolution output but the internal renderer will run at 720p fixed.

You can do something like that in Arma 2 (set the render resolution to 1024x768 and the output resolution to 1920x1080), and it looks like a lovely, blurry mess.

Can't wait :rolleyes:.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Attention Horse posted:

You can do something like that in Arma 2 (set the render resolution to 1024x768 and the output resolution to 1920x1080), and it looks like a lovely, blurry mess.

Can't wait :rolleyes:.

Oh yeah Arma 2 that ultra realistic simulator of getting stuck trying to lift people up and dragging them away, only for some reason it got stuck on the lifting part. Arma 2 is a really lovely game unless the stars align in such a way that the engine doesn't poo poo itself.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Holy Cheese posted:

Oh yeah Arma 2 that ultra realistic simulator of getting stuck trying to lift people up and dragging them away, only for some reason it got stuck on the lifting part. Arma 2 is a really lovely game unless the stars align in such a way that the engine doesn't poo poo itself.

What? I'm not saying anything about the quality of Arma 2 (even though I love it to death). I'm saying that when you're rendering at two different resolutions you're gonna have a lovely looking game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

Yep, something about them not wanting the PC version to look better than the console ones or something. Garbage.

This is dumb, but wasn't LA Noire "Locked" at 30 FPS on the PC until someone edited something and got it to run at 60? I'm sure someone will figure something out.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Looks like Gamersgate is running a promo on Dark Souls. If anyone's interested, I can get copies for $28.27 USD with the IGN discount and rolling over the bluecoins promo. Put up your Steam ID if interested.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Frame rate, and internal 3D resolution are both hold overs from designing the game around very specific hardware. A lot of liberties in design and execution were taken with the understanding the game simply was 1024x720, and ran no faster than 30FPS. The latter would probably take less time/effort to patch than the former. Lord knows what strange things might happen to various features, designed on the assumption of 1024x720, suddenly output at many times that resolution.

I'm not happy about it, and I would really like to communicate to FROM that this sort of thing only barely flies on PC, but I will simply :dealwithit:. Way I see it, FROM is relatively small, and along with them, Namco is taking a risk on that petition. OK, so they gave us a PC game, and for all intents and purposes, it looks like it will absolutely be no WORSE than the console versions. So you win, FROM. You gave us exactly what we asked for, and then some (DLC). That, I am very happy about.

EDIT: Yeah, that vvv Provided, From will have to develop and implement its own scaler code, since PS3, and 360 both sort of have those sort of things integrated into their GPUs for just this purpose, but at the end of the day it should nearly identical. From my experience on a friend's 50" plasma, the game looks great, even with such a meager internal 3D. From did a solid job of making the blurry nature of the output work for them, and aliasing was all but absent.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 23, 2012

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

I played the 360 Dark Souls on my 1080p monitor and it looked great. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

edit: I mean, that's basically the exact same thing right? Renders at 1024x720 or whatever and the 360 upscales it to 1080p to output to the monitor.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 23, 2012

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Cardboard Box posted:

When did they say that? I thought they didn't have the time or experience to drastically change the rendering output.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is dumb, but wasn't LA Noire "Locked" at 30 FPS on the PC until someone edited something and got it to run at 60? I'm sure someone will figure something out.

They did, but it made the physics go crazy because often the timing for certain things is tied to the framerate on console games since they know it'll be constant. They probably didn't change it here because the physics/animations were timed to the framerate or something.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009
Namco/Bandai asked (told) FROM to make a PC port after getting tons of petitions in for a PC version of the game. I love it because they always use the word "version" when they should say "port".

Saw an interview with some head marketing guy from NB talking about how Namco asked (told) FROM to make this happen.

From most accounts it kinda sounds like if Namco wasn't forcing the issue, FROM wouldn't of made it at all.

I'm also confused as to how you can see trailers, gameplay, and screenshots for PC/console version on 1080p 42" Tvs and even conceive the idea that the graphics will look bad on whatever size monitor you play on. Maybe I'm not supposed to get it. Maybe my eyesight just sucks that bad.

It is really bad...

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Category Fun! posted:

When did they say that? I thought they didn't have the time or experience to drastically change the rendering output.

"Too dumb" and "must get this game out NOW" are pretty horrible reasons too. It is year 2012 and these guys are crapping out a PC game with 1024x768 resolution.

Neh, but I don't really care myself. I'll have plenty of time to see where this game goes before I decide if it's worth the 5 bucks at a Steam sale.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Fewd posted:

"Too dumb" and "must get this game out NOW" are pretty horrible reasons too. It is year 2012 and these guys are crapping out a PC game with 1024x768 resolution.

I shouldn't even be in this thread as I haven't had a gaming PC since Diablo 2 but goddamn this is a stupid sentence. The frame buffer is going to be 1024x768, and there's multiple resolution options in the PC version. I wouldn't expect the game to look any better than the console version (aside from a fixed FPS), but it certainly won't look worse.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I don't know how computers work, so could someone tell me if my PC is fine? I checked canyourunit but it only shows the minimum requirements. Here's what it says:

CPU
Minimum: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core
You Have: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor

CPU Speed
Minimum: Info
You Have: 3.0 GHz

RAM
Minimum: 1 GB (XP), 2 GB (Vista/7)
You Have: 4.1 GB

OS
Minimum: Windows XP , Windows Vista, Windows 7, or newer
You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 6001), 64-bit

Video Card
Minimum: ATI Radeon 4850 or higher, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher
You Have: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Sound Card
Minimum: Yes
You Have: AMD High Definition Audio Device

Aug 24, 2011

And all the things that might go wrong are why I'm keeping this in my Steam inventory instead of activating it immediately. I've always wanted to try this, but if there's stupid stuff like "Pull the right trigger on your controller to attack" and "Press Start to see your inventory" then it's a simple matter to trade away.

EC posted:

frame buffer

I don't know what this is :( But really, as long as they make an effort to make all the menus mouse-compatible and let us rebind keys/change options, I'll be happy.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

NeilPerry posted:

I don't know how computers work, so could someone tell me if my PC is fine? I checked canyourunit but it only shows the minimum requirements. Here's what it says:
I can not guarantee anything, but I am going to go ahead and say "you are fine". I basically have the exact same system (3.1ghz CPU), and while the minimums just BARELY exceed some of our configurations, I honestly cannot imagine a situation where a straight console port will perform poorly and not receive crazy amounts of flack.

My reasoning

Minimum Nvidia is an 8800GT. Your 4850 blows that out of the water. This is probably a matter of what Namco had on hand for quality assurance. So while you're 4850 is inferior to the 4870, this should be a complete non-issue, since the latter has no features that the 4850 does not, meaning it is a matter of raw speed.

CPU: EDIT: just noticed you actually had a 3.0 Phenom II X3. this MIGHT be an issue. I personally would not sweat it, but you may want to wait and see how it performs on sub 3.0 Phenom IIs. Again, I can not imagine the game is so poorly coded that a CPU capable of running any other console port on the market will be unable to run what is quit literally a DIRECT port from consoles.

So, yeah, you're JUST below the minimums, but it may literally be nothing more than a matter of what Namco's QA department had available for testing.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Dreggon posted:

I don't know what this is :( But really, as long as they make an effort to make all the menus mouse-compatible and let us rebind keys/change options, I'll be happy.

I heard that full key rebinds are in, but I don't know about cursors in menus. I really do recommend a gamepad for this game, though.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Much like a joystick is recommended for DCS A-10, a gamepad is recommended for Dark Souls. I might test out the keyboard and mouse controls as a novelty, but I am going to play it with my gamepad, much like how I play sports games with my gamepad.

For some people this is a giant issue, and I just don't understand.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I've generally heard it's playable with a mouse and keyboard from previews, but if it's anything like Demon's Souls (and obviously it is) this is the kind of game where analog precision is something that will make life a lot easier.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Guys, can we can the "woe is me" port chat for now? The reviewers said it looks good and plays good, game is out in a few hours and we can all see then.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Cardboard Box posted:

I've generally heard it's playable with a mouse and keyboard from previews, but if it's anything like Demon's Souls (and obviously it is) this is the kind of game where analog precision is something that will make life a lot easier.

On the other hand, first person controls are generally a lot easier with a mouse, so maybe Darkroot is going to become some kind of sniper's delight. People rolling hidden body and chameleon crawling all over the forest, taking each other out with Pharis' Bow.

"This... is the end..."

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

GMG confirmed they're emailing out keys to pre-purchasers at midnight UTC.
http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/2628/?page=9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Someone on the Steam forums posted some screenshots of the PC Version. Just like I thought, it looks like blurry pixelated dogshit.

• Locked thread