Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Attention Horse posted:

Someone on the Steam forums posted some screenshots of the PC Version. Just like I thought, it looks like blurry pixelated dogshit.

That looks like the PS3 version :v: It's not a pretty game

Dongue Quixote posted:

What kind of gamepad is best for Dark Souls? I searched around to see if there was a recommended one, and I couldn't find any info.

On the PS3 you use all the face buttons, Start and Select, all 4 shoulder buttons, the D-Pad (all of it), both analog sticks, and the click-in on the right analog stick. This would be a mess on the keyboard but I'm sure someone will try

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongue Quixote
Nov 11, 2010

My brain problems are matched only by my swole problems.
What kind of gamepad is best for Dark Souls? I searched around to see if there was a recommended one, and I couldn't find any info.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
PS3 with Motioninjoy or 360 would probably be best

Attention Horse posted:

Someone on the Steam forums posted some screenshots of the PC Version. Just like I thought, it looks like blurry pixelated dogshit.

So you're saying it is exactly what we were expecting, a direct port? I can live with that.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Shanty posted:

On the other hand, first person controls are generally a lot easier with a mouse, so maybe Darkroot is going to become some kind of sniper's delight. People rolling hidden body and chameleon crawling all over the forest, taking each other out with Pharis' Bow.

"This... is the end..."

Only thing holding you back would be the decreased movement when in "first person mode". It seems like movement speed is decreased. Might just be a zoomed in thing.

Dongue Quixote posted:

A lot of people claim PS3 feels more natural. Being a 360 gamer mostly, I'm happy with my 360 controller.

e: removed bullshit.

VVV - I have to agree. :colbert:

Unbeknowsnt fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 23, 2012

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Attention Horse posted:

actually that looks good. If you are just going to poo poo up the thread with your bitching and saying how you aren't going to buy it, can you please get out?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SixtySix posted:

actually that looks good. If you are just going to poo poo up the thread with your bitching and saying how you aren't going to buy it, can you please get out?

Maybe the thumbnails look good, but when you blow it up to full 1920x1080 it looks pretty goddamn blurry and awful.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Apart from the HUD being slightly different scale than on consoles, it looks like it does on console. Motion and gameplay in the game is fluid, the resolution shouldn't have any impact on the game unless you're one of those people that can't play games that aren't pretty.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oh, the graphics themselves are fine, I'm just of the apparently unreasonable opinion that PC games should be able to run at my monitor's native resolution.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

Maybe the thumbnails look good, but when you blow it up to full 1920x1080 it looks pretty goddamn blurry and awful.

No, it looks exactly like the console versions, which is good enough for me.

Did you ever look at Dark Souls consoles? That's what the game looks like, especially on larger TVs. When everyone was throwing fits, I assumed they meant it would cause some severe blurriness to the point it'd be nearly unplayable. This just won't look as pretty as it could on PC hardware.

From the attitude of the thread so far, I'm going to guess most people really don't want to see you guys bitching about a feature they don't give a poo poo about, for a game you won't play. Maybe rather then throw a fit, ya'll should go post in SPUF about this heinous affront the PC gaming? Seems more your style.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Cardboard Box posted:

Ah come on, this may not be the next Crysis, but this looks perfectly acceptable to me.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

that is an -opinion-. I've played this game on a 42" 1080p monitor on 360 and it looks good. I think those screenshots look good.

I don't want this thread to turn into a bitchfest of people complaining about how a quick and dirty port doesn't cater to their needs. The game looks just as good as it did on the console, and I never heard of anyone crying about how the game wasn't pretty enough for them. Also that second screenshot is the only one that I would call "blurry", and there is some pretty obvious motion blur going on there.

In short, if you've decided that the game isn't up to your standards of graphical beauty and FROM is a lovely company for things not being perfect for you, then there is no need to post here. This thread is for the discussion of the game for new players, not the discussion of how you don't want to buy the game for whatever reason.

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 23, 2012

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Cardboard Box posted:

Has my Xbox 360 looked like that all along? I liked the way console Dark Souls looked on a large screen LCD. I joined the PC master race back in like April and haven't touched my Xbox in a while, and when I blew up the thumbnails my first response was to cringe a little.

Of course I loving love Dark Souls so I'm going to play it and love it no matter what, but...have I become a...PC Elitist? :ohdear:

Either way the hardest part is going to be deciding what character to roll first.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Any chance that the game will be modable or have a giant .ini file we can play around with the adjust graphic settings? Why am I even asking this question when no one has the game yet...

Please be a decent port. :ohdear:

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

Attention Horse posted:

The pictures are JPEGs, that's why the quality looks so pixelated.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

The Gripper posted:

Apart from the HUD being slightly different scale than on consoles, it looks like it does on console. Motion and gameplay in the game is fluid, the resolution shouldn't have any impact on the game unless you're one of those people that can't play games that aren't pretty.

I think people are just upset that they aren't putting in the effort to take advantage of the extra power pcs have over consoles to make a decent looking game look absolutely fantastic. Especially considering lots of pc gamers, especially of this niche, are hardcore and probably have really good computers.

I've been following the LP and it looks like a fantastic game. However, considering that it's GFWL, which is pretty awful, and some of the worrisome limitations like upscaling from a lower resolution (which looks awful like in ArmA2) I'm going to wait to see what people have to say about it before making a decision to get it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SixtySix posted:

In short, if you've decided that the game isn't up to your standards of graphical beauty and FROM is a lovely company for things not being perfect for you, then there is no need to post here. This thread is for the discussion of the game for new players, not the discussion of how you don't want to buy the game for whatever reason.

I'm buying the game, because I know it's good. I don't think From Software is a lovely company by any means, but it would have been nice for them to at least bother with basic resolution support.

Derkinstacker posted:

You know, that and because it's 1280x720 blown up to 1920x1080.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Derkinstacker posted:

No, it looks like that because of the low resolution. Looks exactly like Arma 2 "effect".

Anyway, I'll probably wait until someone makes a mod that unlocks higher resolutions or something. I know that the game is fantastic, but right now I'm not giving them my money for a half-assed :effort: PC port.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

DMBFan23 posted:

Has my Xbox 360 looked like that all along? I liked the way console Dark Souls looked on a large screen LCD. I joined the PC master race back in like April and haven't touched my Xbox in a while, and when I blew up the thumbnails my first response was to cringe a little.

Of course I loving love Dark Souls so I'm going to play it and love it no matter what, but...have I become a...PC Elitist? :ohdear:

Either way the hardest part is going to be deciding what character to roll first.

No, probably not. I'm in the same boat as you. I became a Steam convert this summer and played a bunch of games, including L4D2, which I also have on xbox. Of course on my PC I set that game to max everything and play at 1920x1080.

I popped the disc in my xbox a few weeks ago when the DLC dropped, and holy poo poo it was almost unplayable. Framerate sucked, the controls felt sluggish, and of course the resolution was nowhere near what I was getting on my PC.

Not to mention me watching my son play Torchlight on xbox is painful. The camera is like ten feet above his head, you can't see poo poo.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009
Part of me believes that Namco/Bandai saw the request for the PC version and starting thinking about money. How they could get as much as they can.

"We have a DLC for consoles coming out this winter. We need to release the PC version before that happens. That way people will buy the game, maybe even twice, just for the new stuff. FROM, make it happen. You have a couple months."

I don't know how long they had for this port. I'm guessing it wasn't very long.

I would say that blame should be put more towards Namco/Bandai than FROM.

e: On a side note. Do you think Namco/Bandai and FROM could of hired a third party to make the port? Maybe one with PC experience?

Unbeknowsnt fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 23, 2012

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Attention Horse posted:

What? I'm not saying anything about the quality of Arma 2 (even though I love it to death). I'm saying that when you're rendering at two different resolutions you're gonna have a lovely looking game.

I know that I just don't like Arma 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unbeknowsnt posted:

Part of me believes that Namco/Bandai saw the request for the PC version and starting thinking about money. How they could get as much as they can.

"We have a DLC for consoles coming out this winter. We need to release the PC version before that happens. That way people will buy the game, maybe even twice, just for the new stuff. FROM, make it happen. You have a couple months."

FROM was pretty open about them not having much PC experience and that they were going to do whatever it took to get the game running console quality on the PC. Hell the reason from GFWL is that its the same multiplayer system as Xbox Live which they already worked with. Additionally, its thought that the reason the game remains locked resolution/frames is because most attacks/abilities use frame counts for timing since thats possible on a console.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
As much as the resolution thing is a bummer, it looks exactly like the console versions so I can't really be all that surprised. I mean, I've finished Dark Souls like 5 times, I'm pretty used to how it looks. Not that I'm excusing this kind of port job, it's pretty obviously a terrible rush job. But it's Dark Souls. A rush job that looks exactly like the console versions but doesn't run like complete dogshit in blighttown and new londo? I must be honest, the idea kind of excites me.

I don't think I'll buy this version, at least not initially, but if some enterprising bastard is able to uncap the framerate and resolution, I'd buy it in a second.

Have From confirmed why the resolution is so low? Is it simply to maintain a kind of visual consistency since all the UI art and whatnot would be low resolution? Or did they run into performance problems at higher resolutions?

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Barudak posted:

FROM was pretty open about them not having much PC experience and that they were going to do whatever it took to get the game running console quality on the PC. Hell the reason from GFWL is that its the same multiplayer system as Xbox Live which they already worked with. Additionally, its thought that the reason the game remains locked resolution/frames is because most attacks/abilities use frame counts for timing since thats possible on a console.

In knowing this you would think outsourcing the PC port to a more knowledgeable company would of been worthwhile.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Unbeknowsnt posted:

From had pretty much no PC experience and this was built from the grounds up to be a console game. A lot of the things in the game probably won't work at higher resolutions/fps.

Here's an article that speculates why this is.

http://www.bluh.org/?p=263

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Barudak posted:

Additionally, its thought that the reason the game remains locked resolution/frames is because most attacks/abilities use frame counts for timing since thats possible on a console.

I don't know what resolution has to do with that, but I figured the framerate cap had something to do with the animation or physics, as is the case with most games that have notably had framerate caps (i.e. LA Noire, From Dust). That's why the framerate cap never bothered me. A rock-solid 30 FPS is still very playable.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Unbeknowsnt posted:

In knowing this you would think outsourcing the PC port to a more knowledgeable company would of been worthwhile.

I think it's good that they're getting some experience with PC developing. Now that they know they have a PC market as well they'll know to make a PC version of whatever comes next right away.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I hated how much time it took to create a build so I hope the BB glitch and the other duping glitch are still in. To be honest I really wouldn't mind some sort of save modifier to give me items if it could save me hours of grinding.

Obviously I will do a clean first run to experience the DLC but I've already put at least a hundred hours into the PS3 version and the exclusion of the BB glitch will make fun gimmick builds difficult to create.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Unbeknowsnt posted:

Pretty sure we are lucky to actually have it released on the PC. I don't want to sound like Phil Fish but a lot of Japanese developers and publishers are rather closed minded. There really is more to life than Monster Hunter on a Sony product.

Hopefully they will open their minds a little and realise that us western people kinda like their games too.

As long as it is not Final Fantasy IVXXVII. :yawn:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I hate myself, I swore I wouldn't double dip.

Anyone now the cheapest place to get a steam key is right now?

gently caress.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

NeilPerry posted:

I think it's good that they're getting some experience with PC developing. Now that they know they have a PC market as well they'll know to make a PC version of whatever comes next right away.

This is my rationale for just biting the bullet. I know the game is loving awesome thanks to my friend's 360, and for all intents and purposes, we're getting the exact same game, but on PC.

I see the port as a gesture of good faith. Could be better, to be sure, but at least it isn't any WORSE than the console release (Resident Evil 4, I'm looking at you). Right now, I just want them to know there is an audience on this platform in the hopes of seeing more FromSoftware on PC. From is exactly the sort of developer I believe could benefit from self publishing. Hell, Namco isn't even releasing physical media in NA.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Norns posted:

I hate myself, I swore I wouldn't double dip.

Anyone now the cheapest place to get a steam key is right now?

gently caress.

GMG has it for around $35, but they've got a history of not providing keys in a timely manner.

Dark Clam
Jul 1, 2002

Attention Horse posted:

finally, someone made the "I forgot to wear my glasses today" simulator I've been waiting for!

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I'm curious how much cheating there'll be on the PC version. The 360 version is fairly easy to save-edit, but it's extremely rare to ever encounter any cheaters.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Tezzeract posted:

Looks like Gamersgate is running a promo on Dark Souls. If anyone's interested, I can get copies for $28.27 USD with the IGN discount and rolling over the bluecoins promo. Put up your Steam ID if interested.

I guess I'll bump myself if there's any interest. It's more of a hassle than buying the game directly from GMG, but if people want it for cheap, I'm willing to gift.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Holy Cheese posted:

Pretty sure we are lucky to actually have it released on the PC. I don't want to sound like Phil Fish but a lot of Japanese developers and publishers are rather closed minded. There really is more to life than Monster Hunter on a Sony product.
A lot of it comes from the fact that they work pretty closely with Sony a lot of the time (for PS3 development, anyway), so a lot of their product ends up optimized specifically for consoles, with fairly deep ties internally that make it hard to change.

Also, I'd listen to Phil Fish more if he'd actually written a single line of code for Fez, and wasn't just some idealistic guy that doesn't understand the industry and lucked into a winner.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

It got cracked so here's a guy streaming it if you want an idea of how it looks.

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007

So, a little nicer than it looked on consoles then? That's what I'm seeing at least. A far cry from the standards many other PC games set but certainly not worse than the original experience.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Phoix posted:

It got cracked so here's a guy streaming it if you want an idea of how it looks.

Looks surprisingly fine! Who would've thought.

edit: There's only five setting choices in the config :pcgaming: game sucks

dreffen fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 23, 2012

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Phoix posted:

game confirmed to look good! Imagine that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

dreffen posted:

Looks surprisingly fine! Who would've thought.
Actually looks great, I've got DS going on my PS3 right now and even streamed it looks the same if not better.

• Locked thread