Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Politicalrancor posted:

Sports "Journalism" is a farce. gently caress them all.

If only they could be as insightful as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

morestuff posted:

If only they could be as insightful as you.

oh man, glad you found it insightful enough to make note of it!! Especially because it would have been left on the last page and forgotten about!!! Thanks for putting it at the top of the page! You get it, man!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That post did not really help.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

MourningView posted:

That post did not really help.

much like "Sports Journalism" does not help anyone except sports writers.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Politicalrancor posted:

much like "Sports Journalism" does not help anyone except sports writers.

Look How Wrong You Are

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Let this one drop please, guys.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

ESPN failed to cite a source. Again. http://deadspin.com/5934914/for-the-second-time-in-three-weeks-espn-plagiarizes-another-reporters-work

I'm assuming they've been sued but its never reached a courtroom.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Crossposting from TFF, since it's kind of dead in here

Rick Reilly- always bold enough to argue a stance that virtually everyone agrees with.

Rick Reilly posted:

gently caress Notre Dame
Nice content free Rick Reilly we've all grown to ignore. "Hey Notre Dame, you suck, stop accepting all of the money and praise that the media, which I am a part of, heaps on you annually. No, that's it, I'm offering no solutions or any actual insight on Notre Dame football as an institution or how the press covers them. I'm not even going to weigh in on whether their independence is worth maintaining, how it's gotten them where they are now, or what it means for their future. I'm not going to even mention it it all. I'm just tired of you, Notre Dame because you don't win football games anymore. If you win ten games this year, all will be forgiven, and I'll give you a big 'ol blow job. Love and kisses, Rick Reilly"

Here's Mike Golic's surprisingly lucid rebuttal.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I've been trying to figure out why sports radio people all develop this weird ranting style when they are trying to make an argument and I've realized that the unnecessary yelling and repeatedly referring to someone who isn't in the room with them by name has basically turned all sports radio people into professional wrestlers.

IF YOU WERE AN INDEPENDENT WOULD YOU TAKE THE MONEY, RICK REILLY? I'VE GOT SOMETHING TO SAY TO YOU, RICK: YOU WOULD NOT. RICK, IF YOU WERE TELLING ME THAT IF YOU WERE NOTRE DAME AND YOU WOULDN'T TAKE THAT MONEY, YOU ARE A LIAR. YOU ARE LYING, RICK REILLY.

AND DON'T THINK I DON'T HAVE NOTHING TO SAY TO YOU, GORILLA MONSOON AND ALL YOU HULKAMANIACS OUT THERE. LET'S GO TO THE PHONES. RAVISHING RICK RUDE FROM THE ROSEMONT HORIZON, YOU'RE ON.

This isn't to say that Rick Reilly isn't a complete idiot, it's just that sports talk radio is completely exhausting.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

commy gun posted:

ESPN failed to cite a source. Again. http://deadspin.com/5934914/for-the-second-time-in-three-weeks-espn-plagiarizes-another-reporters-work

I'm assuming they've been sued but its never reached a courtroom.

If a suit had been filed we would know about it. By apologizing, they're pretty much washing their hands of the whole affair.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Way back in January, Thomas Lake wrote this.

This past week, Thomas Lake wrote this.

In response, Tommy Craggs wrote this.

So who's in the right?

I'm leaning toward Craggs because I'm not sure that anything Lake says he did really helped matters in the first place.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
MJ's kind of an rear end for continually embellishing the "he got cut" story in public, but he shouldn't really be obligated to swoop in and fix the life of a guy he hasn't even seen in 18 years. I think Lake's too close to the story to be firing off opinions like this, ala JoePos with Paterno.

midwat
May 6, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Way back in January, Thomas Lake wrote this.

This past week, Thomas Lake wrote this.

In response, Tommy Craggs wrote this.

So who's in the right?

I'm leaning toward Craggs because I'm not sure that anything Lake says he did really helped matters in the first place.

Craggs is right.

Insisting someone else buy a house for someone is a dick move.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

General Dog posted:

Crossposting from TFF, since it's kind of dead in here

Rick Reilly- always bold enough to argue a stance that virtually everyone agrees with.

Nice content free Rick Reilly we've all grown to ignore. "Hey Notre Dame, you suck, stop accepting all of the money and praise that the media, which I am a part of, heaps on you annually. No, that's it, I'm offering no solutions or any actual insight on Notre Dame football as an institution or how the press covers them. I'm not even going to weigh in on whether their independence is worth maintaining, how it's gotten them where they are now, or what it means for their future. I'm not going to even mention it it all. I'm just tired of you, Notre Dame because you don't win football games anymore. If you win ten games this year, all will be forgiven, and I'll give you a big 'ol blow job. Love and kisses, Rick Reilly"

Here's Mike Golic's surprisingly lucid rebuttal.

I'm amazed that someone wrote an article that makes me even slightly pro Notre Dame. That's just amazingly awful.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

R.D. Mangles posted:

I've been trying to figure out why sports radio people all develop this weird ranting style when they are trying to make an argument and I've realized that the unnecessary yelling and repeatedly referring to someone who isn't in the room with them by name has basically turned all sports radio people into professional wrestlers.

IF YOU WERE AN INDEPENDENT WOULD YOU TAKE THE MONEY, RICK REILLY? I'VE GOT SOMETHING TO SAY TO YOU, RICK: YOU WOULD NOT. RICK, IF YOU WERE TELLING ME THAT IF YOU WERE NOTRE DAME AND YOU WOULDN'T TAKE THAT MONEY, YOU ARE A LIAR. YOU ARE LYING, RICK REILLY.

AND DON'T THINK I DON'T HAVE NOTHING TO SAY TO YOU, GORILLA MONSOON AND ALL YOU HULKAMANIACS OUT THERE. LET'S GO TO THE PHONES. RAVISHING RICK RUDE FROM THE ROSEMONT HORIZON, YOU'RE ON.

This isn't to say that Rick Reilly isn't a complete idiot, it's just that sports talk radio is completely exhausting.

impotent power fantasy for the listener where they piggyback on the host's loud, illusory airs of masculinity

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
ESPN brought out the big guns today. Wright Thompson's piece on Mariners OF Greg Halman's murder at the hands of his brother is fantastic. Then over on Grantland, Jordan Conn turns in some excellent work on LSU soccer goalie and prospective football kicker Mo Isom. Both are quite long but well worth your time.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Found this to be interesting and informative and frankly, the guy makes a pretty god drat good point about concussions and how NFL players view them.

http://deadspin.com/5936721/why-should-we-care-about-concussions-when-nfl-players-dont

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is it somehow surprising that macho culture and a very small, very lucrative earnings window gives football players a huge incentive to conceal injuries, even ones with serious long term consequences?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I guess there's always the possibility this column on James Harden was written tongue-in-cheek, but it's still awful:

quote:

Apparently, The Beard hosted a party over the weekend, and from the look of things, it was quite the event. Everyone dressed in head-to-toe white, hung out on a yacht and, um, had a lot of fun.

But seriously, if this is how The Beard parties now, what can we expect after he signs what everyone expects will be a massive contract? And if he happens to sign that deal with a team in Los Angeles or New York or some other hot spot?

The Beard may become a wild hair.

Oklahoma City can save Harden from himself.

But I'm telling you, the Thunder could use this to its advantage. Harden clearly has some wild child in him, and there's nothing wrong with that, but here's where the Thunder can make OKC a huge positive. Sell Harden and his people on the fact that he shouldn't live in party city with a bunch of money. Convince them that he can visit places like L.A. and Miami in the offseason but that he needs to spend most of his time in a place like Oklahoma City.

Less depressing, more interesting: Scott Schroeder of the NBA D-League blog Ridiculous Upside was just hired as the head of basketball operations for the Sioux Falls Skyforce.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Akileese posted:

Found this to be interesting and informative and frankly, the guy makes a pretty god drat good point about concussions and how NFL players view them.

http://deadspin.com/5936721/why-should-we-care-about-concussions-when-nfl-players-dont

"Sometimes if you're buzzed or dazed ... if you get your bell rung they consider that a concussion—I wouldn't," Polamalu said. "If that's considered a concussion, I'd say any football player at least records 50 to 100 concussions a year."

I'm not going to say ignorance is bliss, but I have the feeling I won't enjoy football quite as much as I used to.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jackie D posted:

"Sometimes if you're buzzed or dazed ... if you get your bell rung they consider that a concussion—I wouldn't," Polamalu said. "If that's considered a concussion, I'd say any football player at least records 50 to 100 concussions a year."

I'm not going to say ignorance is bliss, but I have the feeling I won't enjoy football quite as much as I used to.

I really hate high horse talk when it comes to concussions, but personally, it's one of the reasons I can't stand watching it anymore. All we know about concussions and the severe long term damage that even one concussion can do to your body, I just don't enjoy it anymore.

I think a lot of the shock for me while reading this is related to Polamalu allegedly being one of the smarter and more articulate players in the league. If someone like him has that macho complex then what the hell is going on in the heads of some of the guys who aren't nearly as intelligent as he is?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Jeff Gordon, St. Louis Post-Dispatch posted:

Give Matt Carpenter 300 to 400 at-bats. In an admittedly small sample this season, Carpenter has hit well with runners on base (.293), runners in scoring position (.378) and RISP with two out (.444). Clutch hitting is a precious commodity and Carpenter seems to possess it.

Or, if you prefer, paraphrased:

Hurrrrrrrr I don't understand statistics, that there's no such thing as clutch, or anything else, but I know that saying "small sample size" will give me instant cred with other dumb people that like to feel as if they have any idea what the gently caress they're talking about

e: lmao I didn't even finish the article because the preceding paragraph was so dumb, but it also unironically features the line "Where is Nick Stavinoha when you need him?"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

FairGame posted:

Or, if you prefer, paraphrased:

Hurrrrrrrr I don't understand statistics, that there's no such thing as clutch, or anything else, but I know that saying "small sample size" will give me instant cred with other dumb people that like to feel as if they have any idea what the gently caress they're talking about

This reminds me of something I heard on the Padres radio broadcast yesterday. Paraphrased:

"There's been a huge explosion of statistics in baseball, and most of the new stuff is really interesting. Now some of it is interesting and relevant, and some of it is interesting and irrelevant. One thing that's definitely relevant is this hitter's record against this pitcher..."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
"Admittedly small sample size" just means that someone is pretending they know what small sample sizes mean in terms of conclusions but they actually don't.

Alternative: they heard a guy smarter than them say small sample size once.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Sample siCLUTCH HITTING

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

FairGame posted:

e: lmao I didn't even finish the article because the preceding paragraph was so dumb, but it also unironically features the line "Where is Nick Stavinoha when you need him?"
I just asked out loud, to nobody in particular, "Where is Nick Stavinoha?"

BB-R tells me that Nick Stavinoha is, apparently, batting .238/.324/.431 through 52 games with the Hiroshima Toyo Carp.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I know from the half-dozen Paterno book reviews I've read that it's mostly a mixed bag - not adding much to the conversation, not bringing much new about the guy to light - but does anyone here have anything to add?

I really like Pos and want to support him but $30 is a lot of money for a book that barely scratches the only topic anyone wants to read about.

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 23, 2012

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I really like Pos and want to support him but $30 is a lot of money for a book that barely scratches the only topic anyone wants read about.

I like him too. There is absolutely no way in hell I'm buying that book.

Have you seen the GQ excerpts? I'd imagine they have quite a bit of what Pos wrote on the new stuff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I love his writing and he's been extremely nice in the little bit of correspondence I've had with him, but I'm avoiding that book at all costs. He was way too close to that whole thing and there's no way it will be anything other than painful to read now.

If you really want to support him buy an extra copy of The Soul of Baseball and give it to someone as a gift.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

The Atlantic was less than flattering about the book. I like Joe Pos and think he's a great writer but he wasn't able to step back enough and write about it clearly. It's somewhat understandable but still a shame that he's been a bit of a Paterno apologist.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I really like Pos and want to support him but $30 is a lot of money for a book that barely scratches the only topic anyone wants to read about.
The book is around $14-16 just about anywhere you look online.

Bonus points if you buy the audio book - read by Joe Mantegna.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Harlock posted:

The book is around $14-16 just about anywhere you look online.

Bonus points if you buy the audio book - read by Joe Mantegna.

The last chapter is just a repeated demand for the pretzel monies.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Know what I'd pay $30 for? A book about Paterno written by Anthony Lubrano.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Strange that Jeff Pearlman hasn't written anything about Paterno, this story could really use a character assassin

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This long-form feature on Doc Ellis from ESPN has some very, very cool design work. Worth taking a look at even if you're just scrolling through.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really liked it, and the design was neat. It's starting to become a trend I'm seeing with websites though, those types of scrolling tricks/designs. Hopefully it doesn't become too played out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It worked better with a tablet, it really, really didn't seem to like scrolling with the arrow keys.

Great article, though.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Oh wow, for actually attempting to read the article I do not like that at all. Very disorienting, and not nearly enough Actual Words on the screen. I imagine if I loaded it up on the tablet I'd immediately hit Reader mode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crazy Ted posted:

Know what I'd pay $30 for? A book about Paterno written by Anthony Lubrano.
You'd pay $30 for a book that contains 350 pages of WE ARE WE ARE WE ARE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

You'd pay $30 for a book that contains 350 pages of WE ARE WE ARE WE ARE?
'Tis a small price to pay for insanity and/or high art.