Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gazaar posted:

Is there a way to get more cracked red eye thangs or do you get a full time one like in Demon's Souls?
Yeah. It's in a very interesting place that can either be terrifying or hilarious to get to depending on how you approach it.

It's hilarious for me because I can't stop laughing at harpies falling off a spiral staircase to their death

edit: wait, maybe I'm confusing it with something else. It's been many months and I am not a big PvPer to begin with.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That Gobbo posted:

Augh how could I forget these dart shooters in Blighttown? :argh:

Oh man. It begins. :allears:

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
So about the glitches, does the BB glitch and the 99 glitch still work?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

2012 posted:

Would love to know which mods this guy is using. Game looks great.

http://www.twitch.tv/slayer

Haha so happy I just turned this guy's stream on, he just got cursed. :getin:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Gazaar posted:

Is there a way to get more cracked red eye thangs or do you get a full time one like in Demon's Souls?

There is a way to get an infinite one from a covenant, but telling you how would be be spoilers. It does require you to go out of your way, of course, so if you're dead-set on that then you might want to look it up.

I'd recommend doing a normal blind playthrough on your first run, though. PvP invader characters are the sort of thing multiple character slots are meant for.

tractor fanatic posted:

So about the glitches, does the BB glitch and the 99 glitch still work?
According to the other thread, the known dupe glitches are gone.

You guys are on PC, though, so you can pretty much hack in literally whatever you want if you really feel like cheating.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Sweet, can't sign into Windows Live. This is the PC experience I desired.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Despite the crappy port, I see myself getting sucked into this game hardcore already.

I really hope that guy gets the resolution fix working fully(ie, you don't lose half of the text in the game) because it looks awesome at actual PC resolutions.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If anyone is having any more controller problems, here is the definitive fix: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32498773&postcount=40

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
About to boot this badass motherfucker up, as a newbie player should I stay away from the resolution fix until the text bugs are taken care of?

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Anti-Hero posted:

About to boot this badass motherfucker up, as a newbie player should I stay away from the resolution fix until the text bugs are taken care of?

Yes. Unless you really don't want to see the admittedly sparse tutorial text.

MWMetric
Nov 7, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just need to know how CPU-limited it is. Games that are CPU-limited run badly (my laptop has an inferior heatpipe system and won't go above 2.3ghz or so when under the stress of running a game), for example the Witcher 2, and games that are not run great, for example Skyrim.

I have a PC that runs GPU heavy games pretty flawlessly and CPU heavy games terribly. This runs quite bad for me, so I would guess it's fairly CPU heavy. But it's hard to tell with this game since people are giving very different performance reports.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

Can you post your specs? Just interested.

Totally midrange. Nothing but 8gig RAM, i5 2500, nVidia 560. Nothing remotely special about it. It was $650 a year ago, but it's running this at 1920 with zero problems at all. The game's not that demanding, there just has to be some software reason it's having issues with a lot of people

If you're new, avoid the res patch for the first 2-3 hours so you can read the tutorial messages. After that, you can fire it up without worry, since the only ground messages from there are from other players and, at least imo, ruin a lot of the really fun encounters and figuring out how to win them without someone spoiling it for you. This game is fun purely because it shits on your face repeatedly until you figure out how to avoid having your face poo poo on, then enjoy the sense of gently caress YOU accomplishment that comes with it. Reading someone else's message that spoils the whole fight really cheapens that satisfaction and you probably won't end up understanding why so many of us love this game so much.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 24, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm gonna find you and kill you

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I can't believe this is out already. Hopefully I can buy it in time for hilarious goon-related co-op shenanigans.

This is the one game where not owning a modern console actually made me slightly unhappy.

Shame about all the framerate issues though.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

TerminalBlue posted:

Yes. Unless you really don't want to see the admittedly sparse tutorial text.

drat!

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Gazaar posted:

One of the covenants will give you a red eye orb. I think it's the darkwraiths.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

I'm feeling your pain. I'm just leaving the game off for a night to see if it's fixed soon.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Do I only get one White Soapstone, or should I be dropping this stuff everywhere I go?

How does Co-op work anyway. Drop it near bosses and wait for people to call on me? Drop it anywhere and wait for people to call? How exactly do I do this.

I want to be Grossly Incandescent.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
During the opening cinematic I get this huge framerate drop that affects my computer even after I turn off the game. I played the game and was bummed out by it, but then I restarted the computer and now it runs smooth as… something smooth - make up your own metaphor!

Can someone tell me how to kick and do the jump attack with kb+m?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lain posted:

I have a PC that runs GPU heavy games pretty flawlessly and CPU heavy games terribly. This runs quite bad for me, so I would guess it's fairly CPU heavy. But it's hard to tell with this game since people are giving very different performance reports.
In general, can anyone clue me in to how to translate CPU spec requirements meant for desktop PCs into laptops? When I read "Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 GHz+" it sure SEEMS similar to mine (i5 2410m) but it often isn't.

Rookersh posted:

Do I only get one White Soapstone, or should I be dropping this stuff everywhere I go?

How does Co-op work anyway. Drop it near bosses and wait for people to call on me? Drop it anywhere and wait for people to call? How exactly do I do this.

You only need one soapstone, you use it to WRITE your summon sign on the ground.

And yeah, you write a summon sign and wait for someone to summon you. Some areas of the game are better for certain levels, there's a list in the OP.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 24, 2012

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Rookersh posted:

The soapstones aren't single-use items.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So much freakin' co-op going on right now. Just getting non stopped summoned for gargoyles and I even got what I think was my first Moonlight Butterfly summon ever.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Rookersh posted:

The White Soapstone is infinite use (as are all soapstones).

Drop it in a place and it'll leave a sign. You can only have one sign placed at a time. When other players who are unhollowed see it, they can choose to summon you. If so, you'll be pulled out of your world, treated to a brief loading screen, and then plonked into their world as a white phantom.

You get a portion of the souls from enemies that are killed (this does not take anything away from the host). If you help them beat the boss, you get a reward.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Sucks to see people are having trouble, I'm playing this on an nvidia GTS 250 and an i5 750 and its running perfectly. Much better performance than I had on the 360, and even looks slightly better to me, even though I'm not using the resolution patch.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Getting the infinite red eye orb is difficult and more for advanced players that are quite dedicated to being assholes.

It requires getting about 60% through the main game, and defeating an end-game boss (and arguably one of the hardest bosses) "earlier" than you should.

Someone should really hex edit themselves up to max level and find out where the expansion content is and then livestream all of it. I can't take it. I want it all spoiled.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm gonna find you and kill you

I will be too busy trolling people in Sens.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I loving love the character creator.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Anime Souls.

...also, :gonk:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

I loving love the character creator.

All hail the frog queen!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Anime Souls.

...also, :gonk:

It's really really hard to make a normal looking human being, man or woman with the character editor. The true dark souls starts there.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Daaaaaamn I suck at this game. So far the best I've done is making it to the Taurus Demon and then promptly dying.

Is there a way to know how much strength is needed to one-hand a weapon? Going spear without a shield is kind of iffy.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I will need to get me one of those Wireless adapters my for my PC. the Razor controller I have has the dumbest loving button layout and two additional buttons that are completely unfucking necessary.

Aside from this external problem, and the non-rendering text, the game does look worlds better compared to the console version. Though I do notice some frame rate instability where there should be any.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's really really hard to make a normal looking human being, man or woman with the character editor. The true dark souls starts there.

I actually thought the defaults were mostly very solid in terms of providing normal-looking people. Granted, they are also all a bit ugly or weird somehow, in their own ways, but that entirely fits the Dark Souls aesthetic. It is, however, quite difficult to make a "pretty" person.

Everything in this game is at least a bit ugly and weird.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Lord of Hats posted:

Daaaaaamn I suck at this game. So far the best I've done is making it to the Taurus Demon and then promptly dying.

Is there a way to know how much strength is needed to one-hand a weapon? Going spear without a shield is kind of iffy.
Yeah, it should say in the weapon specs down near the bottom of the screen. Any requirements that aren't met will be in red, and for strength that means met by just one arm.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Lord of Hats posted:

2-handing gives you a 50% Strength bonus. So if you've got 20 Strength, you can use a weapon that requires 30 Strength if you 2H it.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

The Lord of Hats posted:

Press X while looking at a weapon in the inventory to see its stats. On the right side you'll see the Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence and Faith icons with numbers next to them. That number is the stat you need to use the weapon. Strength is a special case, because using a weapon two-handed multiplies the effect your strength has on that weapon by 1.5x. So if your strength is 20 and you two-hand a weapon, your effective strength with the weapon will be 30. If the weapon needs 25 strength to wield, you'll only be able to use it with two hands.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Also I recommend that new players try to swing weapons or raise shields that they don't have enough strength for.

Trust me.

e: You can also put a shield in your main hand, and even two-hand it. Or off-hand weapons. Try everything!

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 24, 2012

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
So is mouselook broken for everyone at this point?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Leb posted:

So is mouselook broken for everyone at this point?

I hope they keep the mouselook how it is. That and the button icons are pretty much a giant warning that you should play this game with a controller, it is simply not designed to be played with Keyboard + Mouse, but it is extremely intuitive with a 360/PS3 controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
What the heck there are no summon signs at the gargoyles. Where are my sunbros at? Solaire's cool and all but I want some real bro action.

• Locked thread