Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

What's the button to pause the game and check menus? Escape isn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Dreggon posted:

End. Doesn't pause the game though it just brings up the menus.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Start button. On a controller. Do not play this game with keyboard and mouse.

Aug 24, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Start button. On a controller. Do not play this game with keyboard and mouse.

I have an old controller for the original XBOX, but I don't have a thing to plug it into my PC.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Did everyone get the Gargoyle Helm after defeating the Gargs?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

apophenium posted:

What the heck there are no summon signs at the gargoyles. Where are my sunbros at? Solaire's cool and all but I want some real bro action.

When I did it earlier there were like 15 signs out by the door to the cathedral coming from the blacksmith.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

anybody wanna do a trade for a $45ish game? https://steamcommunity.com/id/frmfrnzy

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blacktoll posted:

Did everyone get the Gargoyle Helm after defeating the Gargs?
That's by far the most common thing to get I think.

edit: wait nm, I think the tail axe is more common.

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

"Cock'n'Balls" is a pinnacle of modern medicine.
This is the first time I have ever encountered a console port that really, truly requires a controller. Most games, it's recommended but I've been able to get by without one, but this game... ugh.

I thought this would be the same deal. Sure, it might be a bit easier with a controller, but still playable. Not so. I've never used a controller with a computer before and have no idea where to even begin to try and find one, as I don't own any consoles.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Rashaverak posted:

I thought this would be the same deal. Sure, it might be a bit easier with a controller, but still playable. Not so. I've never used a controller with a computer before and have no idea where to even begin to try and find one, as I don't own any consoles.

Go to Walmart and buy a Xbox 360 controller.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The irony of that is that EB gave me a free Dark Souls themed mouse with my copy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The irony of that is that EB gave me a free Dark Souls themed mouse with my copy.
That seems like less irony and more pure spite to me, from the sound of it.

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

"Cock'n'Balls" is a pinnacle of modern medicine.

PureRok posted:

Go to Walmart and buy a Xbox 360 controller.

Can I just plug it into the (assuming) USB port and then configure it through the in-game menu? No special drivers or other software required?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's by far the most common thing to get I think.

edit: wait nm, I think the tail axe is more common.

The tail axe does not have a randomized drop rate, you either get it or you don't depending on what you do. (If you couldn't tell, I am trying to avoid using any spoilers)

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Rashaverak posted:

This is the first time I have ever encountered a console port that really, truly requires a controller. Most games, it's recommended but I've been able to get by without one, but this game... ugh.

A wired 360 controller is your best bet. You should be able to find one for $20-25.

Edit: beaten.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

The tail axe does not have a randomized drop rate, you either get it or you don't depending on what you do. (If you couldn't tell, I am trying to avoid using any spoilers)
Oh yeah, now I remember.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tried KB+M just to see, and as a DS vet, you really REALLY want a controller. I'm on NG+++++++ on 360 and can't imagine attempting this poo poo with KB+M. It's totally meant for a controller and you all need to buy one if you don't have one

If you're having issues obtaining Drake Sword, this is the ticket: climb below, shoot the dragon tail with a ton of arrows, get Drake Sword, period. That's all there is to it.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
K+M has the camera and the lock-on switch both attached to the mouse. If you want to check what's to the side or behind you your lock-on will rapidly switch through all the enemies nearby. Holy hell do I have a head-ache.

Aug 24, 2011

Alright, so obviously it's a lovely port and they've put very little effort into it. That said, my fears of seeing "X: Equip Weapon" and "Y: Change Weapon" were well founded. Can anybody tell me what these A, B, X and Y buttons are bound to? I managed to work out that Q is A, and right clicking seems to exit some menus, but aside from that...

It's not even that the game seems hard on its own merit - it's like QWOP in that you're constantly fighting the controls to get what you want.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
So I bought this for PC because I loved Demon Souls on PS3 (I no longer have a PS3) and it looks beautiful with the resolution fix but is loving unplayable without a controller, any recommendations?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

Tried KB+M just to see, and as a DS vet, you really REALLY want a controller. I'm on NG+++++++ on 360 and can't imagine attempting this poo poo with KB+M. It's totally meant for a controller and you all need to buy one if you don't have one
Yeah, the only reason I'm going to try KB+M is to see how bad it is. Going to use the same controller I used on the XBox when I actually want to play it.

The mouse itself looks ok though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

So I bought this for PC because I loved Demon Souls on PS3 (I no longer have a PS3) and it looks beautiful with the resolution fix but is loving unplayable without a controller, any recommendations?
Buy a controller. Like has been said six times per page on the last four pages, including this one.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Man, the resolution fix is amazing. Hopefully it gets folded into a patch at some point.

Or, at the very least, hopefully orange soapstone text is fixed. I miss it. it's such a good part of the game :(

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Samurai Sanders posted:

Buy a controller. Like has been said six times per page on the last four pages, including this one.

No I meant recommendations for a controller? I'm used to PS3 controllers but I don't think they work with PCs very well, right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sankis posted:

Or, at the very least, hopefully orange soapstone text is fixed. I miss it. it's such a good part of the game :(

NEED HUMANITY.

NEED HUMANITY.

NEED HUMANITY.

NEED HUMANITY.

NEED HUMANITY.

NEED HUMANITY.

NEED HUMANITY.

It's a great idea, it just ends up as ugly graffiti a lot of the time.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Sankis posted:

If you set the renderHeight to 720, you should be able to see text.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Moist von Lipwig posted:

No I meant recommendations for a controller? I'm used to PS3 controllers but I don't think they work with PCs very well, right?

It's a GFWL game, and nearly a straight port of the 360 version. Just get a wired 360 controller if you don't own your PS3 one anymore since they are basically plug-and-play on Windows computers.

If you do still have a PS3 controller, you should be able to use it with Motionjoy as I believe someone posted a fix for the Motionjoy issues earlier in the thread.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Hi Gibbed!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

There are ways but as someone who tried for years to find a good replacement for a 360 controller, I broke down and bought one and had no problems after that. It's what is natively supported, and it's a good controller.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Logitech controllers are awesome, a 360 controller also works really well obviously.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

can someone with computer knowledge give a step by step babby brain breakdown of how to install the resolution fix? I wanna add it to the OP

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

DemonMage posted:

If you set the renderHeight to 720, you should be able to see text.

Doesn't that completely go against the idea of the hack? Or do you mean I could do proper 720p? Maybe I'll play it on my TV...

You know, the TV right above my other copy of Dark Souls and Xbox.

Edit: people sure are far already! I need to get going. Want to get some PVP on. Maybe this time gravelords won't be (as) useless.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

That Gobbo posted:

Hi Gibbed!

Oh hey, I'm in the top ten!

I don't think I'll be obsessive enough to stay there though. It was hard enough making it into the top 20 on the 360.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

jonjonaug posted:

I don't think I'll be obsessive enough to stay there though. It was hard enough making it into the top 20 on the 360.

heheh, you're a goon? I just owned your combustion spamming rear end in upper blighttown (well me and a white phantom) :getin:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

SixtySix posted:

heheh, you're a goon? I just owned your combustion spamming rear end in upper blighttown (well me and a white phantom) :getin:

Oh poo poo that was you?

I wanted more of a straight up fight but I paniced when I saw the summon phantom message so...yeah.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

jonjonaug posted:

Oh poo poo that was you?

I wanted more of a straight up fight but I paniced when I saw the summon phantom message so...yeah.

haha, it's cool, I was just talking poo poo. I will admit I was scared though :ohdear:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are ways but as someone who tried for years to find a good replacement for a 360 controller, I broke down and bought one and had no problems after that. It's what is natively supported, and it's a good controller.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Logitech controllers are awesome, a 360 controller also works really well obviously.

Okay, thanks guys :)

SixtySix posted:

can someone with computer knowledge give a step by step babby brain breakdown of how to install the resolution fix? I wanna add it to the OP

Just download the file from the link and extract the contents to:

code:
\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA\
Should be all you need to do, also turn off AA in the in-game menu.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

How did you even manage that? I've spent entire days invading people and only managed to get a point or two every couple of hours, at best. Even when I'm having a good day and winning a lot.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

SixtySix posted:

Download the fix, copy the two files it comes with into the folder your game is installed in (default is program files/steam/steamapps/common/Dark Souls/)

That's all there is to it. Turn off AA.

e: beaten like the Moonlight Butterfly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

jonjonaug posted:

It's going to be filled with hackers with 9999999999 humanity by the end of the week.

• Locked thread