Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Real Awful C.F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man Testes United

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I need a name for my soccer team this year. Last year I went with Riot Squad because we got Galaxy colors, but this year I'm stuck with blue/black. Nothing Earthquakes or Chelsea related please. Appropriate name for a team of 10 year olds, please. I was thinking Boca Jrs. Jrs. but I'm afraid some of the Mexican kids on my team might not take kindly to an Argentinian name.

Maybe Internazionale Yerington (our town name?)

Los Aristócratas

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
These are less helpful than I had imagined....

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Birrias. It's a Chivas reference (or a beef reference if they're from Baja, I guess) but different. I may be suggesting this name in part because I bought a fifteen pound box of cubed halal goat and have been eating birria for the last three days.

Next up: Caribbean-inspired goat curry. If anyone has a favorite recipe I'd love to see it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Birrias. It's a Chivas reference (or a beef reference if they're from Baja, I guess) but different. I may be suggesting this name in part because I bought a fifteen pound box of cubed halal goat and have been eating birria for the last three days.

Next up: Caribbean-inspired goat curry. If anyone has a favorite recipe I'd love to see it.

Saute the goat with a ton on of onions, garlic, chiles, and fresh ginger. Add cumin, coriander seed, black pepper, and WAY more allspice than you would think you'd need. Then lots of coconut milk and cook down to a nice thick stew. Serve over rice or with dumb bread.

Alternatively, make the curry the same way but leave out the goat until the coconut milk goes in. While everything is cooking, you'll be grilling the goat over fire, and then adding the charred meat to the stew.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Reading the mp rage while listening to 'Oh fortuna' was a lucky combination that made my day.

Other than that, I have to express my deep personal displeasure at the present situation in corporate world.

I will now go back into hiding, and may come out on the other side, just a river of human waste, broken promises and abandoned unwanted hope to walk through.

We will emerge triumphant, yet a bit smelly, somewhat traumatized and a lot less on the other side!

Time to drop the loving scythe and get out the combine.

God speed giwwis!

Edit: Will now go on date night with wife, drink a bit, and slow dance with her under the night sky - no reason not to enjoy life!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 22, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Also, this is one of the occasions where the word 'gently caress' is aptly and expertly applied to all situations, it has trandescented and taken on a whole new meaning, which encompasses everything from a descriptive to a pure content illustrative.

gently caress it is!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Yerington Streaks?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Very Strange Things posted:

Los Aristócratas

Seconding this one.

Alternately, Raptors in F-14s if they're mostly 10. Even if they don't get the reference, it's still great.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
be the fighting mongooses, that's a cool team name

edit: seriouspost just be the lions, tigers, bears, wolves, eagles, raptors, pirates, vikings or something. Although one time my friend's dad named our U12 soccer team the Marauders, that was pretty hilarious in retrospect

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 22, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Last year we were the Riot Squad.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You should seek an endorsement from Costco and be "The Costco Savers".

Edit: or maybe the Costco Saveurs

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Eeyo posted:

You should seek an endorsement from Costco and be "The Costco Savers".

Edit: or maybe the Costco Saveurs

hehe. vote this.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Christ Punchers.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I always wanted to meet someone from Nebraska and say "ah yes, I have heard of your famous football team the Nebraska Cornholers".

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't have that much punch anymore now that you can't go to a tailgate without seeing everyone playing cornhole.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I need a name for my soccer team this year. Last year I went with Riot Squad because we got Galaxy colors, but this year I'm stuck with blue/black. Nothing Earthquakes or Chelsea related please. Appropriate name for a team of 10 year olds, please. I was thinking Boca Jrs. Jrs. but I'm afraid some of the Mexican kids on my team might not take kindly to an Argentinian name.

Maybe Internazionale Yerington (our town name?)

Black and blue? Something involving bruises? The Chris Browns? The Backstreet boys?(they might be too young to realize that's a boy band!)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Papaya seeds taste exactly like radishes. Some enterprising chef should use that.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Papaya seeds taste exactly like radishes. Some enterprising chef should use that.
Unscrupulous merchants will sometimes cut peppercorns with papaya seeds.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Montreal trip report: definitely had my opinion on poutine changed. poo poo's dynamite.

Also, Schwartz's was amazing, but the hefty Bostonians we were seated with wouldn't shut up about American tax law the entire time, for some reason. We proceeded to run into them three more times during the course of the trip with similar results. :gonk:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So I'm in an off-campus apartment for the first time this year and my first few attempts have had mixed success.

Slow-cooked beef, onions, and green beans in tomato juice, peppers, and assorted "gently caress it that should work" spices:

loving delicious when cooked, but my first attempt to actually cook it was foiled when the power strip the crockpot was hooked up to actually wasn't turned on and I came home to lukewarm meat stew. After much cursing, nearly ordering pizza, and eventually warming up some spring rolls instead, I cooked it properly the next day after having it spend the night in the fridge. It surprisingly did not kill me though all the peppers and spices in it made me poo poo flames. I have enough leftovers to hold me over for a couple lazy dinners.

Omelets with shredded cheese and garlic:

Very, very quickly I realized that the pan I was using didn't have a non-stick coating, and very, very soon after that I discovered that cleaning up burnt egg crust from a non-nonstick pan is about as fun as sticking your arm in a blender. I think I'll be having cereal for breakfast until I figure out a way to use these eggs without wrecking a pan every time. The omelet itself was pretty good though, but nothing to write home about.

Tacos:

Surprisingly went off without a hitch. Also delicious.

Also I realized I can't make several things I wanted to because we forgot to bring skillet lids.

I feel like such an incompetent goon but somehow I have avoided killing myself in a grease fire yet, so I have a step up on Masaokis at least.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Daeren posted:

Also I realized I can't make several things I wanted to because we forgot to bring skillet lids.

Tinfoil, a non stick cookie sheet, or a cutting board can all work as a pan lid until you can go buy one.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
According to one recent study, some 60,000 Spaniards end up in emergency rooms each year because of ham-cutting accidents.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

If I had access to the kind of ham they do, I would have probably cut myself up a few times excitedly attacking the meat. Seriously, that poo poo is amazing.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Jamón ibérico :swoon:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol? that's a loving lot of ham related accidents per year

I'd be surprised if there were even 60,000 people total in the US that knew how to slice a bone in whole leg of ham.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

To keep the figure in perspective, remember that in Spain there is a multi million Euro industry dedicated to manufacturing the little holders you put the hams in.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
In my experience, it's extremely difficult to get the right nationwide numbers (or even close estimates) on non-notifiable illnesses or accidents.

So I'm surprised that there's someone willing to make up a number...not just about the number of people cutting themselves, but also a number that suggests that all the docs apparently registrate what their patients were doing when they cut themselves.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
One might say they're a bit ham-handed over there! :iamafag:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Yawgmoth posted:

One might say they're a bit ham-handed over there! :iamafag:

I challenge you to hambones at dawn.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

I challenge you to hambones at dawn.
Was that joke a bit too close to the bone for you?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

paraquat posted:

In my experience, it's extremely difficult to get the right nationwide numbers (or even close estimates) on non-notifiable illnesses or accidents.

So I'm surprised that there's someone willing to make up a number...not just about the number of people cutting themselves, but also a number that suggests that all the docs apparently registrate what their patients were doing when they cut themselves.

Spain has Satanic communazi free healthcare, so people are much more likely to get minor wounds treated at a hospital. Records are pretty tight in all decent Euro-healthcare systems because of the amount of public money involved but I don't really believe "herida de catástrofe de jamón" has appeared on very many forms...

eta: 'Ham Disaster Wound" sounds like a Guided by Voices song

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 24, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope this leads to Canadian style PSAs about ham injuries.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Welp http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/23/hot-pepper-shoplifter_n_1825206.html

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I'm not sure if you care, but I have my friend who works at Alinea/Next checking it out for you. Do you have a specific day in mind?

ok

so, they just announced the on sale date for the next couple months, and nowwwwwwwwww they announce they've been planning some 'private event' the week of Oct 10th-14th for over a year, so the restaurant will be 'closed'.

I'm in chicago the 12th and 13th, unless I can change my flight. =(

they hinted on their facebook page that they wouldn't actually be 'closed' - that there was just some special event going on, that one might be able to attend. (or maybe I'm just desperately clinging to shreds of hope)

any idea what this might be about? please say they're having a week long invite-only 'chef's hodown' featuring rene redzepi, and you can get me in. :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
man I hate flight change fees.

it would cost $150 to change my flight each way, plus the difference in fares, which would total more than what I paid for two round trip tickets to begin with.

whelp.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

mindphlux posted:

ok

so, they just announced the on sale date for the next couple months, and nowwwwwwwwww they announce they've been planning some 'private event' the week of Oct 10th-14th for over a year, so the restaurant will be 'closed'.

I'm in chicago the 12th and 13th, unless I can change my flight. =(

they hinted on their facebook page that they wouldn't actually be 'closed' - that there was just some special event going on, that one might be able to attend. (or maybe I'm just desperately clinging to shreds of hope)

any idea what this might be about? please say they're having a week long invite-only 'chef's hodown' featuring rene redzepi, and you can get me in. :)

I'm really sorry I never got back to you about that. He still hasn't contacted me back with info, but I shot him an email about the private event to see if you might have a chance. If it doesn't work out, I'm really sorry mindphlux. :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I hope this leads to Canadian style PSAs about ham injuries.
That would be AMAZING.
"Now, Jorge, that ham certainly looks good, doesn't it? And it tastes good too. But you be careful when slicing that succulent ham, Jorge - one false move, and your jamon delicioso could become a jamon de MUERTA!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
If it was a Canadian PSA, Jorge would just jam the blade two inches into his wrist and then bleed out until your show came back on.