Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

EvilMuppet posted:

Reposting here since it's a more appropriate thread: How will a GIGABYTE AMD HD6970 PCI-E 2.0 2GB handle a 27" @ 2560x1440 IPS?

In terms of just supporting it, fine of course. If in terms of game frame rates, use AnandTech bench. They have tested most things there at 2560x1600 which is what you'll want to keep an eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

EvilMuppet posted:

Reposting here since it's a more appropriate thread: How will a GIGABYTE AMD HD6970 PCI-E 2.0 2GB handle a 27" @ 2560x1440 IPS?

Depending on your expectations, well or poorly. If you want 60FPS locked in even in demanding games, might not be in the cards. If you don't mind framerate dips to 30fps that might be fine even for more intense games. Also really depends on how you like your graphics settings; lower the AA and any lighting and shadows related stuff, and consider that the card is not a superb DX11 features performer when it comes to some things (advanced depth of field comes to mind). I would bet that if you are willing to adjust settings and keep reasonable expectations, it'll be a great card for you, but that is quite a large number of pixels to draw any way you slice it.

Not all games are demanding, though, you'll have plenty of titles that play just fine I'm sure, with all the neato stuff.

If you ever run into a situation where your framerate isn't what it ought to be, lower to an even multiple of the resolution and force the card to do scaling - both nVidia and ATI have really nice looking scaling in their cards, hell of a lot better than the (often nearest-neighbor or somesuch fast but low-quality) scaling that monitors do, and you can usually grab a big FPS boost without losing much visual quality - maybe even turn on some stuff you couldn't before.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Agreed posted:

Depending on your expectations, well or poorly. If you want 60FPS locked in even in demanding games, might not be in the cards. If you don't mind framerate dips to 30fps that might be fine even for more intense games. Also really depends on how you like your graphics settings; lower the AA and any lighting and shadows related stuff, and consider that the card is not a superb DX11 features performer when it comes to some things (advanced depth of field comes to mind). I would bet that if you are willing to adjust settings and keep reasonable expectations, it'll be a great card for you, but that is quite a large number of pixels to draw any way you slice it.

Not all games are demanding, though, you'll have plenty of titles that play just fine I'm sure, with all the neato stuff.

If you ever run into a situation where your framerate isn't what it ought to be, lower to an even multiple of the resolution and force the card to do scaling - both nVidia and ATI have really nice looking scaling in their cards, hell of a lot better than the (often nearest-neighbor or somesuch fast but low-quality) scaling that monitors do, and you can usually grab a big FPS boost without losing much visual quality - maybe even turn on some stuff you couldn't before.

Thanks heaps, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'm more than happy with that for the moment and can update the card later. Thanks.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

unpronounceable posted:

That's odd. Did you make sure to enable the IGP in the BIOS? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be working if that's not the case.

I've looked a few times and cant find this option in the BIOS at all! I swear I looked through every single menu. Should I update it or something?

never mind, got it!

The Consultant fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 23, 2012

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

EvilMuppet posted:

Thanks heaps, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'm more than happy with that for the moment and can update the card later. Thanks.

To further compound on this, with some personal experience:

I got myself a 30" (2560x1600) monitor a little while ago, while still running a Radeon HD 5870. Among other things, I was able to run Serious Sam 3 and Skyrim at high detail (not ultra), in 2560x1600, while easily staying above 30FPS. I haven't tried Crysis 2, Metro 2033 or any of the traditionally "taxing" games, but for the most part the old 5870 more than pulled its weight. The only game that had difficulties was SWTOR, but that's because their rendering engine is a massive turd.

I ended up replacing it anyway, but it wasn't for lack of performance as much as the fact that the reference cooler on it was like having a B-52 in the room.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Jan posted:

I got myself a 30" (2560x1600) monitor a little while ago, while still running a Radeon HD 5870. Among other things, I was able to run Serious Sam 3 and Skyrim at high detail (not ultra), in 2560x1600, while easily staying above 30FPS. I haven't tried Crysis 2, Metro 2033 or any of the traditionally "taxing" games, but for the most part the old 5870 more than pulled its weight. The only game that had difficulties was SWTOR, but that's because their rendering engine is a massive turd.

I ended up replacing it anyway, but it wasn't for lack of performance as much as the fact that the reference cooler on it was like having a B-52 in the room.

And I bet none of it looked like rear end, either. Well, Skyrim pre-texture patch. And post. ;) I kid.

The thing to remember is that benches tend almost universally to be done at extraordinarily taxing settings. At such a high resolution, there probably isn't going to be just a poo poo-ton of noticeable aliasing :v: You probably don't need 4xAA and its performance hit. Other settings, well, you do what you can, and what looks good to you and performs to your needs is what you use.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Palladium posted:

I owned cards of many brands but my MSI 5770 Hawk is the only card that really pissed me off with the awful quality control. For all their talk of military class hardware(tm) the fan bracket rusted like hell after mere 1 year of use that I have to shave off the second hand selling price quite a bit.

This may be more of a fault with the Nvidia reference design but I bought an MSI 570. It lasted a couple of months (I never touched the factory settings though apparently it was factory overclocked). I RMA'd it and that one lasted maybe 5 or 6 months. I RMA'd it again and gave the card they sent me to a former coworker along with a heads up about the potential issues. Last I heard he had to RMA it after a few months himself.

Oh and after the first RMA the card they sent me didn't run right out of the box. I asked their tech support forums and they told me I needed to up the voltage and even made me a custom bios to make the higher voltage the card default. That worked for 5 months or so before the card died again.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jan posted:

Yeah, I had my 460 running 2560x1600, and just left AA off, perhaps some other settings dropped to medium. Now with a 670, I can max out all the settings, and even throw on some AA if I feel like it. More importantly though, stays up at 60FPS most of the time instead of slightly above 30 (and I play with V-Sync on).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I installed my 660 Ti last night. Only had time to try a couple of games before going to bed. Triple monitor is pretty cool but the stretching on the side monitors, from FOV, is sort of weird. I've found it's not an issue when I'm looking at the centre screen. The other thing is just seeing so much more of the game environment.

I'll need to experiment more but that's what the weekend is for.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Got my 660Ti today. Gonna install it after I eat this burger :c00l:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

doomisland posted:

Got my 660Ti today. Gonna install it after I eat this burger :c00l:

If you aren't installing graphic cards naked while eating a burger, then what are you doing.

Eating a burrito.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I also ate a burger prior to installing mine, but that's more related to being at work late.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Played Sleeping Dogs with most everything maxed except AA on High and no V-Sync. Ran fine but seemed a bit choppy in places like when scenes were changing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The SSAA is probably very harsh on a 660Ti.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I've got a 6870 that has done a fine job for the past year but things are starting to catch up to it. I saw a good deal, what I thought was a good deal, for a 670 gtx for ~325 with a free copy of borderlands 2. Is this a decent upgrade for me? Or is enough looming on the horizon whether it be new products or price drops that might make it better for me to hang on for a while longer?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

I've got a 6870 that has done a fine job for the past year but things are starting to catch up to it. I saw a good deal, what I thought was a good deal, for a 670 gtx for ~325 with a free copy of borderlands 2. Is this a decent upgrade for me? Or is enough looming on the horizon whether it be new products or price drops that might make it better for me to hang on for a while longer?

Upgrade when you're ready to upgrade. You will never upgrade if you wait for the future to arrive because it'll keep on coming. If you're prepared to commit to a high-end card right now, Borderlands 2 is looking like it's going to be a blast on the PC and the 670 is a great performer. $325 seems like a really good deal for a card that normally runs $400ish (unless that's changed, I haven't had time since the 660Ti launch and AMD's last price drop to see if or how nVidia's shuffled).

This is what your performance increase will look like if you upgrade now. Your call.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The 600 series is pretty dang new and you'll probably get a good generation of life out of them. I don't see anything coming on the horizon that my 670 won't be able to play at max settings, and it may be a good long time before it can't do things at moderate settings.

You'll get a solid 3 years out of the card at least, but very possibly more.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Agreed posted:

Upgrade when you're ready to upgrade. You will never upgrade if you wait for the future to arrive because it'll keep on coming. If you're prepared to commit to a high-end card right now, Borderlands 2 is looking like it's going to be a blast on the PC and the 670 is a great performer. $325 seems like a really good deal for a card that normally runs $400ish (unless that's changed, I haven't had time since the 660Ti launch and AMD's last price drop to see if or how nVidia's shuffled).

This is what your performance increase will look like if you upgrade now. Your call.
I'd be wary about a $325 model because chances are it's one of those cut-rate shrunken PCB joints from EVGA (not that you couldn't do MUCH worse). I'm loving mine already (got the Gigabyte 670 OC Windforce 3). Bumped the RAM from 1502MHz stock to 1915, totally stable. Now that's a deal!

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Has anyone with a GTX560ti or similar card experienced the power saving feature going crazy and downclocking to like 51MHz core? I thought the card was dying or not getting enough power at first but after turning Nvidia power management to "Prefer maximum performance" everything works fine.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

e: never mind. finally got it to work after the 1000th time.

bunky fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 25, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
TechReport has a peek at Powercolor's custom-cooled Radeon HD 7990 dual-GPU-on-a-card halo board. It comes with a switch to choose between stock 7970 clocks and full 7970 GHz edition clocks without messing with overclocking, uses a 16-phase VRM to deliver a ton of power, and then dissipates that heat with a triple-slot, triple-fan, ten-heatpipe cooler. Three 8-pin PCIe connectors, 12.4" long, and comes with a custom stand-off to support the card's weight against the bottom of the case.

It's also not an "official" 7990, as AMD hasn't released them. It's a full-custom board.

At last! A competitor to the GeForce 690 that we'll all ignore!

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Anyone here running the EVGA 660ti SC? I'm looking to see if there are any driver's other than the one on the EVGA website.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
You mean besides from nvidia? Those are fresher than the drivers on the EVGA site at least.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Yeah I meant Nvidia, sorry.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Magical Zero posted:

Has anyone with a GTX560ti or similar card experienced the power saving feature going crazy and downclocking to like 51MHz core? I thought the card was dying or not getting enough power at first but after turning Nvidia power management to "Prefer maximum performance" everything works fine.

There are a number of games where my GTX 680 (which, for reference, is pretty heavily overclocked and at full allowed overvolt all the time) has to be set to "Prefer Maximum Performance" or it tries to downclock in ways that cause massive framerate drops. Starcraft II, for example. I don't know why, I just know it does it, and setting it to Prefer Maximum Performance fixes it.

I'd say nVidia's tech is more aggressive than Intel's IEST and has a lot of potential, but it's either not fully mature at the hardware level or there's a software/OS issue at the driver level which can cause some edge-case issues.

That said, I did not have this trouble with my GTX 580 which I was using with pre-300 release drivers, never had to change anything there except force a poo poo-ton of AA because why the hell not? :getin:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Whale Cancer posted:

Anyone here running the EVGA 660ti SC? I'm looking to see if there are any driver's other than the one on the EVGA website.
Some new beta drivers were posted a couple pages back.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Thanks TD. Oh TD how I miss your awesome tanking skills in BC2 on 360.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Is Palit one of the goon approved brands or should I be staying away from it?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
And what about EVGA (might be a European thing)? Their stuff looks pretty slick. The EVGA Borderlands 2 NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti is tempting.

\/ Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 26, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
EVGA good. Palit big question mark.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

And what about EVGA (might be a European thing)? Their stuff looks pretty slick. The EVGA Borderlands 2 NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti is tempting.

\/ Thanks!

EVGA is nVidia's largest partner in the U.S., actually :) Good brand.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I keep finding myself wanting to upgrade to a 660 or a 670. I've currently got a 570 HD. I only game at 1920 x 1080. But this 570 is just so drat loud, everything still looks fine in games too, I just want more. I think I have a problem.

Let's say I decide to get another card, would I be better off upgrading to a 6 series or would another 570 do me better? My motherboard can support SLI. I have an Antec Earthwatts 650, would that be enough to run 2 570's?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

dog nougat posted:

I keep finding myself wanting to upgrade to a 660 or a 670. I've currently got a 570 HD. I only game at 1920 x 1080. But this 570 is just so drat loud, everything still looks fine in games too, I just want more. I think I have a problem.

Let's say I decide to get another card, would I be better off upgrading to a 6 series or would another 570 do me better? My motherboard can support SLI. I have an Antec Earthwatts 650, would that be enough to run 2 570's?
You would need a new power supply (220W per card plus CPU plus everything else plus headroom, 850W as a bare minimum, more if you overclock), and if one 570 is loud to you, two would be insane. I'd just gently caress with fan speeds and such. I don't think even a GTX 680 would provide enough of a performance improvement to be worth an upgrade. If noise is really a problem for you and you can't fix it by loving with fan speeds, an aftermarket cooler may be a good investment.

Here's benchmarks from Anandtech comparing a GTX 570 to a GTX 680, and while there would be an obvious improvement, I don't think that justifies the price of the card. Reevaluate when nVidia eventually releases GK100-based cards, especially if you care about compute.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 26, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

An overclocked 670 can keep up with two 570s in some scenarios. Will outperform in others where framebuffer is a SEVERE limitation, but those are edge cases that will not apply to you for the useful life of the card. In many cases, two 570s will perform, well, like two 570s, and outpace a 670/680 (call it what you want, what's an SMX between friends).

But you're gaming at 1080p. And you don't like it being "so drat loud." While you will not double the noise with an additional 570 (because the perception of sound does not work that way), you will add noticeably more noise to your system, and I would worry that you might run up against the safety limits of the power supply. Fermi was a power hungry generation.

If you must upgrade, as I did (from a 580, in my case, also at 1080p, making it a foolish sucker-rear end decision), go with one 670. You'll solve the loudness issue and get great performance with modern features. It surpasses the 570/580 in DX11 games by a lot. Like, a lot. A whole lot.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ok, that's kinda what I suspected. The allure of shiny new things can be a but much at times. I can't reasonably justify a new psu and another video card. The 670 while alluring is still pretty pricey for such a marginal upgrade. Guess I'll just wait until the next generation of cards comes around. Which I'm guessing its still quite a ways off. What was the length of time between the 5 series release and the 6 series?

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 26, 2012

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

dog nougat posted:

Ok, that's kinda what I suspected. The allure of shiny new things can be a but much at times. I can't reasonably justify a new psu and another video card. The 670 while alluring is still pretty pricey for such a marginal upgrade. Guess I'll just wait until the next generation of cards comes around. Which I'm guessing its still quite a ways off. What was the length of time between the 5 series release and the 6 series?

Just as an option you could potentially Ebay your 570 and use the proceeds for a 660Ti if the noise and wattage were serious issues. Depending on what you can get for your specific model the difference you make up is returned in a quieter, cooler, more power efficient, current gen tech.

As for the timeline gaps. The 500 series popped into the market around the beginning of November in 2010 and the 600 series in March, 2012, though it was hard to find them.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 26, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

dog nougat posted:

The GTX 400 and GTX 500 series were based on the same architecture, Fermi. GTX 500 refined it somewhat and TSMC got their 40nm process into shape which allowed them to produce a full GF110 part in the GTX 580; previously, the GTX 480 was released with one SM disabled so as to fit into the TDP of the card. The GTX 400 series was initially supposed to go into production in 2009, but aforementioned TSMC 40nm fabrication issues delayed production until early-to-mid 2010. It was about two years between the GTX 480's launch and the GTX 680's launch. The GTX 680 is a new architecture - still bearing similarities to Fermi, but don't throw away what works, streamline it and fix what doesn't - with significant improvements to the memory controller and a process shrink to 28nm. They skipped 32nm entirely because TSMC couldn't manage it in a reasonable time table. This applies to ATI as well.

The Tesla series, or GT200 chips, were Fermi's ancestors. They launched in 2008.

Prior to that, the 8-series was released in 2006, and was the first design to use a unified shader architecture. Much like Fermi got two "generations," the 9-series were mainly renamed 8-series parts with a tweak here or there.

So about two years or so, usually with something in between as a refresh of the same underlying technology.

AMD's graphics division (god drat it I just want to say ATI) gets to do some fun hijinks since they tend to release new hardware more frequently, they get to spend a few months (or even as long as a year in some cases) as performance kings, but nVidia is patient, ruthless, and rich, and tends to take back the performance crown at any cost while also producing high-performance cards generally to compete on merits that we actually should care about.

This is a generation where things are much more up in the air as to which is really the most powerful card for consumer gaming, ATI has a strong but rather pricey lineup and as Factory Factory put it, paraphrasing, "look, here's another high-performance card from ATI for us all to ignore!" is unfortunately the rule of the day... For now, anyway. Though I am not reassured by the fact that the CTO who oversaw several great graphics generations for AMD bailed when it became clear the corporate culture was going to change dramatically after a bunch of other people whose titles start with "C" either got fired or quit.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 26, 2012

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
It would be really nice if there were more quality competition around the $100 and $150 price points. Right now you have choices from AMD 7750, 7770, and the 6850 cards but all you really have from Nvidia are some of the lower end GTX560 cards at best.

Is it too much to ask Nvidia to chip down the 660Ti for a 650Ti and compete at the $200 mark to try and drive down the Fermi gen prices down? Who wouldn't like to see some of the higher quality 560 Ti's down below the $150 mark to help squeeze into those budget gaming boxes?

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 26, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The GK104 in the 660 Ti is the same chip as in the GeForce 680, though. It'd have to be cut down a LOT to make a meaningful 650 Ti-type card, further than even the OEM 660. I'm not sure TSMC's 28nm process is quite so bad as to actually have a supply of chips that wrecked, which means providing such a card would require cutting down a chip that might have worked just fine in a more expensive SKU (which are selling just fine, thanks). In the Fermi generation, the 580 and 570 were one chip (later joined by the 560 Ti-448), the 560 Ti, 560, and 560 SE (plus a refreshed 460) were another chip, and the 550 Ti was a third chip entirely. There is indeed a gap in the Kepler generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Berk Berkly posted:

Who wouldn't like to see some of the higher quality 560 Ti's down below the $150 mark to help squeeze into those budget gaming boxes?

Retailers and partners that sell directly?

Edit: FF and I were talking about this the other day, thing is nVidia is making BANK right now in the lower end. It's just all done via partners and OEMs. Don't forget GK107 exists, it could move its way up into a GTX 650.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 26, 2012