Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Megalixir posted:

So uh, this game doesn't detect my wired 360 controller? What drivers do I need in order to run it?

I had this issue, turns out I had a logitech controller plugged in besides my XBOX 360 controller. After I unplugged it, my controller started to work.

\/\/ Don't worry about it, you can always get more humanity, there is plenty around \/\/

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

DS newcomer trip report here:

My first Dark knight or whatever it was was brutal and scary. The messages leading up to it encouraged all sorts of suicidal behavior. The way it was just standing there did not make me feel better upon approaching it. Cool thing was I got decent at reposte's or whateveryoucallit and succeeded by a sliver at the first try.

Then I ran into the Tautus Demon and now my bloodstain lies behind where it spawns :v: and that bastard pretty much oneshots me.

..I don't suppose blood stains stay after logging out? I don't wanna go back there :cry:

Last thing: Did Twin Humanity really just give me 2 humanity and thats it? I browsed the other items and thought that it may be a trinket to increase spawn rate or something.

I hit X out of habbit at the start and ated it right there. What a squandered gift. :downs:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mindblast posted:

..I don't suppose blood stains stay after logging out? I don't wanna go back there :cry:

Last thing: Did Twin Humanity really just give me 2 humanity and thats it? I browsed the other items and thought that it may be a trinket to increase spawn rate or something.

I hit X out of habbit at the start and ated it right there. What a squandered gift. :downs:
The bloodstain lasts until you go back there and collect it or until you die again.

And yeah, the twin humanity is just two humanity. Not that it matters much in the long run what gift you take, it did in the first version of the game but since then they added other ways to get the other gifts.

edit: vvv huh, it definitely worked for me. Did you put in both executables? I don't know which one did it but no harm in putting in both.

Metajo
Nov 1, 2006

Created by R-Force Software
Your Console Sucks
Has any way has been figured out to fix the integrated graphics issue with Nvidia? Tried the Control panel force, but it still not switching over.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mindblast posted:

DS newcomer trip report here:..I don't suppose blood stains stay after logging out? I don't wanna go back there :cry:
They do. You can take a break, and if stains are in boss rooms, they will typically even be placed outside the fog gate, if you quit and reload. Didn't happen for me at one boss, but maybe it was because I quit/reloaded right outside the gate. EDIT: The stain was still inside the boss room, however.

Mindblast posted:

You see the number by your name? That is "liquid" or soft humanity, as that number goes up, your item find rate will increase. You got the benefits, and will have them so long as you do not lose your bloodstain. (don't sweat it if you do. :darksouls: )

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 25, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Mindblast posted:

DS newcomer trip report here:

My first Dark knight or whatever it was was brutal and scary. The messages leading up to it encouraged all sorts of suicidal behavior. The way it was just standing there did not make me feel better upon approaching it. Cool thing was I got decent at reposte's or whateveryoucallit and succeeded by a sliver at the first try.

Then I ran into the Tautus Demon and now my bloodstain lies behind where it spawns :v: and that bastard pretty much oneshots me.

The knight you killed was a Black Knight. They have a rare chance to drop their specific weapon, or to drop their Black Knight Shield. Around the end of the game you can also find their armor. Their weapons are very powerful but have high Strength/Dexterity requirements, so you have to build yourself around them. Collect them all, they're required for the rare weapons achievement.

Bloodstains last until you get killed again or until you retrieve your power. If you're in danger of dying but on your way to a valuable bloodstain, use the Dark Sign. This will destroy any humanity or souls on your person but it will NOT overwrite your bloodstain.

There are no trinkets in the game, the nearest to that are rings, of which you can wear two at a time. Humanity and Twin Humanities don't just give you 1-2 humanity, though. They also act as a full heal, which you can use while as a phantom of any color. Gonna have to learn that X is not attack - other games have trained you well, Dark Souls preys on those who can't relearn.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 25, 2012

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

DLC Armor Spoilers

Atorias Armor Set, avaliable after you defeat Atorias for 20k souls apiece from Domhall.
http://imgur.com/a/WY1HQ#7

Still trying to figure out how to use his soul to upgrade into his sword -- It's not the broken hilt +10 from what I've gathered so far.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 25, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

TalonDemonKing posted:

Armor Spoilers

Atorias Armor Set, avaliable after you defeat Atorias for 20k souls apiece from Domhall.

Still trying to figure out how to use his soul to upgrade into his sword -- It's not the broken hilt +10 from what I've gathered so far.

Looks like I was possibly right with a joke in the console thread. His armor doesn't seem to be that good overall. It seems to only be marginally better than, say, Silver Knight Armor, as far as I can tell. Biggest advantages is a low weight and high resistances versus Bleed/Poison/Curse. Does it upgrade?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Awesome. That is exactly what I was hoping for. Unless (DLC armor spoiler) it does not upgrade, in which case it is spectacular garbage, but it otherwise looks like the standard knight set

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Hey, PC new guys, here's a fun bit of trivia you might not have noticed:

Every time you hear the bell ring in the Parish, an angel gets its wings that is another player actually ringing it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Additionally, you should be able to hear other players actually fighting bosses when you are standing right outside the fog doors.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

And in the Depths, the ash statues are reminders left by other players who've died a particularly painful death. I just love the thematic consistency of all the multiplayer stuff in this game.

Vaashila
Feb 4, 2011

I have a strange feeling about those eyes...

TalonDemonKing posted:

DLC Armor Spoilers

Maybe it's upgraded from either his cursed or normal sword?

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
If you're vigilant, you can look around and see later areas from earlier ones. (If you look down in Undead Burg, you can see the arena you fight capra demon (the goat demon) in. You can see a lot of areas like this, and it's really cool.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Mr. Crow posted:

Is there a way to change controls on a controller?

I haven't found out yet. If anyone knows, some of us really need it because the default scheme for our controllers is horribly wrong.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

homeless snail posted:

And in the Depths, the ash statues are reminders left by other players who've died a particularly painful death. I just love the thematic consistency of all the multiplayer stuff in this game.

This here might be my favorite thing that the multiplayer brings. It's just so cool. In the next game, I hope they do something similar on a wider scale.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
So, when I bought this, I was seeing orange signs outside of the asylum. I couldn't summon anyone, so I tried loving with settings. Now I'm not.

I added the GFWL ports, and added my PC as DMZ. My settings according to GFWL are:

And I have the ports added to my router for GFWL.

I don't know whether I should have my PC set as DMZ or not.

I don't know whether I should have GFWL's ports set under NAT or port triggering.

I couldn't add port 80 as it was already in use.

I don't know why it's saying UPnP is already in use, probably by the game itself?

I'm at my wit's end. Help.

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Looks like I was possibly right with a joke in the console thread. His armor doesn't seem to be that good overall. It seems to only be marginally better than, say, Silver Knight Armor, as far as I can tell. Biggest advantages is a low weight and high resistances versus Bleed/Poison/Curse. Does it upgrade?

Yes it upgrades and It's worse then Silver Knight fully upgraded, it's even worse then Ornstein's the only thing good about it is the light weight, 37 poise compared to 45 Ornstein to 47 Silver Knight.

Also for those wondering about Gold Tracer it's about falchion length with a slightly faster move-set then the furysword. Its r2 is pretty awesome being a two hit combo which transitions into a 3 hit and the two handed r2 is a 3-hit with another 3-hit. It also makes enemies bleed after two-three hits although I've only tested on the crow enemies and blight ogres take 2, taurus takes 3 with Priscilla's dagger needing to land 5 hits or so to inflict bleed.

Myrdraayl fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 25, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Additionally, you should be able to hear other players actually fighting bosses when you are standing right outside the fog doors.
Oh also kinda related to this, sometimes bosses will try to attack player ghosts. It is so loving unbelievable and amazing when it happens, and its so rare you might never see it twice.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I stopped at the Depths Boss finally. I like how, so far, none of the areas are outstaying their welcome. Even though I hated the Depths pretty much the moment I found out it existed, I went through it pretty quickly and just have to take out the boss. I explored a lot of the underground foresty area and there it particularly made me sad how lazy the port was handled. Even the Wii game Xenoblade was more impressive with its vistas and similarly themed areas, especially when upres-ed on the PC.

viewtyjoe posted:

Wow, this game is as brutally hard as I expected. I've gotten to Taurus Demon as what would seem to be my second boss and it just feels like there's no good way to dodge, and all the blocking in the world doesn't help (aside from keeping me from dying) because I'm stuck out of range. At least the first one I felt like I could get out of the way of most of his attacks. Also, please tell me that there are one-handed jabby weapons, I'm so sick of spears getting no love in fantasy games these days.

I found a spear pretty early on, not sure where though. Most bosses have been pretty easy for me, usually only taking 2-4 tries so far. Once I got into the Dark Souls rhythm (slow, methodical, and checking every nook and cranny for items/paths) my death count has plummeted pleasently. Wandering into random enemies you have no business dealing with have been most of my deaths, especially at the start.

Also for that boss Did you go up the ladder behind you and drop-attack him? Afterwards just stay as close as possible and rolling forward between his legs occasionally made the fight trivial and quick.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 25, 2012

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009
Wow, this game is as brutally hard as I expected. I've gotten to Taurus Demon as what would seem to be my second boss and it just feels like there's no good way to dodge, and all the blocking in the world doesn't help (aside from keeping me from dying) because I'm stuck out of range. At least the first one I felt like I could get out of the way of most of his attacks. Also, please tell me that there are one-handed jabby weapons, I'm so sick of spears getting no love in fantasy games these days.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

viewtyjoe posted:

I used both a spear AND a halberd in the general point in the game you are at. The spear is very nice because you can attack with your shield up and you can skewer like 3 dudes at once. The halberd does good damage, too.

For that boss, I don't want to get too spoilery but keep experimenting, try dropping down on him, try using items, and don't think you have to be always defensive, even when you're dodging an attack. You can even roll through his legs.

Also, I am not too experienced yet but based on the bosses I've fought so far, this game is very very pattern-based. You can bait enemies into doing what you want and then punish them.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Megalixir posted:

So, when I bought this, I was seeing orange signs outside of the asylum. I couldn't summon anyone, so I tried loving with settings. Now I'm not.

I added the GFWL ports, and added my PC as DMZ. My settings according to GFWL are:

And I have the ports added to my router for GFWL.
I don't know whether I should have my PC set as DMZ or not.
I don't know whether I should have GFWL's ports set under NAT or port triggering.
I couldn't add port 80 as it was already in use.
I don't know why it's saying UPnP is already in use, probably by the game itself?
I'm at my wit's end. Help.

You generally don't want your PC in the DMZ, as it means your PC is outside the router's firewall and is vulnerable to ne'er-do-wells. Make sure UPnP is enabled on your router, as it allows programs to open up ports as needed, and close them when they aren't (while the game says it already is, you should still check). With UPnP enabled you generally shouldn't have to do anything yourself.

If it gives you any solace, I can't connect with people either, I think their system is just making GBS threads the bed.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

TalonDemonKing posted:

DLC Armor Spoilers

You gotta use a claymore +10

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

If we are doing cool stuff trivia the entire game world (outside of one zone) is a single cohesive world with no overlap or geometrically impossible maps

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Rukus posted:

If it gives you any solace, I can't connect with people either, I think their system is just making GBS threads the bed.

Is the "failed to summon" thing a widespread issue? I'm seeing signs now, but they're ALL failing.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Every time you hear the bell ring in the Parish, an angel gets its wings that is another player actually ringing it.

EBT posted:

If we are doing cool stuff trivia the entire game world (outside of one zone) is a single cohesive world with no overlap or geometrically impossible maps

I'm in love with this game.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Got invaded by some rear end in a top hat who somehow kept getting the crit behind backstab thing even though he was like 10ft away and not even near my back, was pretty stupid. :saddowns:

Other than that I have no idea where I should go. I ended up fighting a giant dog with a sword in his mouth but he kicked my rear end.

Vaashila
Feb 4, 2011

I have a strange feeling about those eyes...

Megalixir posted:

Is the "failed to summon" thing a widespread issue? I'm seeing signs now, but they're ALL failing.

Yeah, that's going to happen a lot. Not much you can do about it other than keep trying.

:darksouls:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Megalixir posted:

It is probably some sort of issue with having certain ports closed, but I'm not familiar enough with GFWL to have any idea which ones.

There are some advice posts earlier in the thread about that problem, where summoning signs are either absent or consistently failing. I think they mention other ports beyond just the standard ones that should be open for general GFWL use. Hopefully those will help.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

EBT posted:

what area? ash lake?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Kiggles posted:

what area? ash lake?

painted world

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Kiggles posted:

what area? ash lake?

Anor Londo, I suppose, since you need a taxi. The rest you can just walk to from Firelink.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The Quake posted:

Got invaded by some rear end in a top hat who somehow kept getting the crit behind backstab thing even though he was like 10ft away and not even near my back, was pretty stupid. :saddowns:

Other than that I have no idea where I should go. I ended up fighting a giant dog with a sword in his mouth but he kicked my rear end.

Sounds like they didn't fix lagstab after all. 10 feet is about standard of a lagstab. There's plenty of videos on Youtube of how abysmal the netcode is for consoles, so far I've noticed that it's improved but not perfect on PC. Although it could also be because I got better internet installed literally the day Dark Souls came out, so who really knows.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

srb posted:

Anor Londo, I suppose, since you need a taxi. The rest you can just walk to from Firelink.

Technically there are really four areas that you have to warp to:

The Undead Asylum, Anor Londo and associated areas, the painted world, and the kiln.

And still, they're all geographically consistent without overlap, and you can even see certain areas from other unrelated ones.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

EBT posted:

It may not be geometrically impossible, but the whole Ash Lake/Great Hollow/Blighttown triad doesn't really make much sense. Not to mention I'm not exactly clear on the location of the Depths, it almost has to border Darkroot, but where?.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Uhm, how can I reconfigure the gamepad?

I REALLY need to move the emote button away from the stick button, I'm having the menu coming up during the heated battles.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
It was a good first night. I'm standing on the bridge to Blighttown, I'm a Sunbro, and I got my Spider Shield and my moss because gently caress Blighttown.

If you have a set of gear in mind, take the master key, and know where you are going, it is ridiculous how fast you can get kitted out. In like 30-40 minutes I had the Elite Knight set, a Claymore until I can one-hand the Zweihander, Grass Crest and Spider shields, FaP and Wolf ring, and that's literally all the gear I'll need on this character until I get some of the cheese miracles I plan to spam the poo poo out of, and until some of the cool armor in the second half of the game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You can even roll through his legs.

:psyduck: holy poo poo. This will probably fix my "I know what I need to do but I keep loving uppppp :argh:" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

SixtySix posted:

painted world
This. Would have called it out myself but I am on a mobile and don't trust myself with spoiler tags by hand.

I have done almost no pvp in this or demon's souls (besides sl 30 hellfire group murders) if I have an inditement and the invader kills me do they get a message they got indited?

• Locked thread