Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Don't go to Tayaabs, go to Needos. It's literally just round the corner and it's run by a former chef from Tayaabs who quit. The menu is identical, the prices are slightly lower, it's substantially less busy and less rushed. Basically Tayaabs is the one with the pan-London reputation, Needos is the one those of us who live in the area know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Welp thanks for the suggestions guys but I got an email pretty much the next day from my uncle (it's cousins visiting and there's other aunts and uncles coming along) saying he'd booked Chamberlain's in Leadenhall Market. A bit of a shame since I would really love to visit St. John at some point. I'd also seen that Hawksmoor Guildhall isn't that far away :(

I've been to Tayyabs before, it's really nice but I don't think my aunts and uncles would enjoy the experience that much, queing is pretty much out.

On dining in Kensington: Chabrot (http://www.chabrot.co.uk/) near Harrods is meant to be a really nice place for lunch (though this is on reputation, only place I'm mentioning I haven't been to). V&A café is a nice spot as well, lovely decor and very near by. That Admiral Codrington is somewhere I've been and can recommend.

Comptoir is decent stuff and easy to get to but personally I prefer the food and interior of Beirut Express on Brompton road. If you like the sound of fancyish French, La Boucheé on Brompton road is really nice although the food and atmosphere can be a bit heavy for lunch.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've just moved to an even dodgier part of camden to where I was previously. I still don't know anywhere good to eat nearby either, are there any good restaurants within a 10 minute walk of say Camden Town station?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

pointsofdata posted:

I've just moved to an even dodgier part of camden to where I was previously. I still don't know anywhere good to eat nearby either, are there any good restaurants within a 10 minute walk of say Camden Town station?

Woody Grill is great if you're looking for a quick kebab or falafel.
Chicco's on the high street near Plender has some amazing italian food.
Maharaji is probably the best Indian food in Camden and that's pretty close as well.
Hache Burger is good if you enjoy good food and bad service.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

YourCreation posted:

Hache Burger is good if you enjoy good food and bad service.

The service IS poo poo, but sweet potato fries are worth it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

The service IS poo poo, but sweet potato fries are worth it.

Sweet potato chips are amazing. There's a pub in west hampstead, called The Gallery IIRC, which serves them. It's a pretty good pub actually if you are in the area and want a quick but hearty meal.

Thanks YourCreation, I'll check them out.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
The food in Market is pretty good but high end, and La Caponata is sometimes really quite good though has been disappointing recently.

You can get a drat good gastro-pub style roast in the Lord Stanley up the road, but it's expensive. I've also really enjoyed the food in the Blues Kitchen, but can't vouch for it since I don't eat tex-mex-y style stuff very often.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Has Duke's Brew & Cue been mentioned ITT? I really want to go. Sounds like my kinda place.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Kaiho posted:

Has Duke's Brew & Cue been mentioned ITT? I really want to go. Sounds like my kinda place.

Giles Coren reviewed it in Saturdays Times - sounded like he hated it. Overcooked *everything* apparently.

Thought you guys might appreciate this:

-------------------------------------------

Dear ,

For a few Saturdays in August, Blacks has decided to throw open its kitchen door to some of London’s finest pop-up and freelance chefs.

The first pop up will be Ravinder Bhogal aka Cook in Boots on Saturday 4th August.

Ravinder previously worked as a fashion journalist before being discovered by Gordon Ramsay who named her as the "new Fanny Cradock". She now works as a food writer, cook and television presenter and author of Cook in Boots. She has previously hosted sold out pop ups at Hix in Selfridges, Meza and the Dispensary. Her global menus nod to flavours from India to Italy, Kenya to Kazakhstan. Her recipes are inspired by her travels and childhood spent as a kitchen and allotment hand in Kenya.

Ravinder Bhogal
Cook in Boots
Saturday 4th August

Menu

Welcome Punch
~~~
Papaya Salad Crackers
~~~
Prawn Toast Scotch Eggs, Prawn Cracker Crust, Banana Ketchup
Veggie option: Aloo Tikki Scotch Egg, Banana Ketchup
~~~
Pork and Peanut Curry, Pickled Greens, Pineapple Relish, Jasmine Rice
Veggie option: Tofu, Pumpkin and Peanut Curry, Pickled Greens, Pineapple Relish, Jasmine Rice

Coconut, Lime and Passion Fruit Trifle with Mango Tapioca

Lunch £42 ~ 1pm for 1.30pm start OR Dinner £48 ~7.30pm for 8pm start
Members will receive a 10% discount on tickets please quote on booking.
Ticket price includes the unique dining experience at Blacks and Welcome punch.

Please call Blacks Office line on 0207 7345399 Mon- Fri 10-6pm or email moira@blacksclub.com to reserve your table.

Card details will be asked for when booking, please have these to hand.

Please note Blacks regular menus will NOT be available for these Saturdays.

~~~

Bookings are also being taken for the next events.

Saturday 11th August
CLAUDE COMPTON AND JAN LOUIS SMITH The Green Goat Food Van

These two are full of energy, their cheffing credentials include stints at the Petersham Nurseries, Club Gascon, Urban Caprice and Table D’Aligne in France and they believe in cooking sustainably sourced food that tastes delicious and looks like fresh rainbows on your plate. Together they run the Green Goat street food wagon selling foraged food sourced from Britain.

Menu Teaser

Portreath line-caught mackerel with forgotten beetroot and tomato concoctions
Orange blossom yoghurt panna cotta with blackberry moss and honeycomb

Saturday 18th August
CARL CLARKE

For this event, he’ll be known as the #PunkChef but you might have come across him at previous events like God Save The Clam (a seafood banquet on a roof, teaming up with Pitt Cue Co), last year’s Rock Lobsta (a pop-up serving Californian style lobster rolls) and The English Launderette. He’s mad, bad and dangerously good in the kitchen so be prepared for anything.

Menu Teaser

Popped millet and devilled pig skin
Rosehip "toast & jam"
Muntjac and elderberries, dried pig’s blood

You can follow all of the chefs and event on twitter:

@BlacksSoho
@cookinboots
@greengoatfood
@ccdiscobistro

See you there!
Moira

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants around Embankment? Turns out I'm going to be there tomorrow evening and fancy a nice dinner out.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I would go to Covent Garden, it's really nearby - what sort of thing are you looking for, foodwise?

The Opera Tavern does really lovely tapas, for instance, but it's a bit pricey. There's also Polpo, Spuntino and all those italian-y shabby chic places.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

If any of you Londoners are fans of My Drunk Kitchen, Hannah Hart is in London right now and will be doing some tweetup-type stuff.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

RazorBunny posted:

If any of you Londoners are fans of My Drunk Kitchen, Hannah Hart is in London right now and will be doing some tweetup-type stuff.

Whaaaat? Awesome! Apparently she's doing a G+ handout in 15 minutes.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Oh, if you got around to posting that round-up of your culinary adventures in London, I'd love to read it :)

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance
I went to Dukes last night. The ribs that Timeout praised were good but overcooked. The craft beer selection was outstanding.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Oh, if you got around to posting that round-up of your culinary adventures in London, I'd love to read it :)

It's all over at my blog. Here's a link to just the London entries - I posted them in chronological order, so the oldest one is for the first day of the trip.

I make no promises about the quality of my blog writing ;)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

:siren:
@hotdinners - "Don't forget Polpo Smithfield opens today - 50% off the bill today & tomorrow. Walk-ins only at dinner."

This could be really good (and dead loving cheap) if anyone's in the area - right next to Farringdon! But it'll be busy.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Medlar was really good. I don't even know what I ate but it was delicious. £30 prix fixe + wine. The wine is pretty heavily marked up so a long boozy lunch would be very expensive but with a bottle between four it worked out nicely.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Has anyone been paying attention to Groupon recently? They have had some great deals for eating out in London.

theunderwaterbear
Sep 24, 2004
Hi thread. I'm going to be staying in a hotel on the south bank kind of between Clapham junction and Battersea park. Does anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants within walking distance? Or otherwise easily got to that would be worth the trip? Vege-pesce-tarian friendly please, and not too dear (say £20 a main course max?).

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

theunderwaterbear posted:

Hi thread. I'm going to be staying in a hotel on the south bank kind of between Clapham junction and Battersea park. Does anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants within walking distance? Or otherwise easily got to that would be worth the trip? Vege-pesce-tarian friendly please, and not too dear (say £20 a main course max?).

Heard great stuff about this place, but have never been there.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/14/brunswick-house-cafe-london-review

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Post code? Brew cafe, Donna Margherita, Tom Ilic, Lola Rojo, Drafthouse, Medlar are in the neighbourhood.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

If you want to walk somewhere with a few options Battersea Rise / Northcote Road is probably your best bet. Lola Rojo mentioned above is a modern Spanish which won Gordon Ramsay's best local Spanish restaurant a couple of years back.
I'm sure it's not the best Spanish in London but it's not bad.

Other options in that area include Entree which does a pretty good set menu, I think it's £20/£24 for 2/3 courses.
http://www.entreebattersea.co.uk/

A few doors down is the sister to the popular Terroirs, called Soif. It's as much a wine bar and I didn't think the food was particularly great but it has good reviews and also a few seats outside if that's of interest.
http://terroirswinebar.com/news.htm

There's a few places along the river, probably heading West is better than East. The Ship pub by Wandsworth Bridge is popular for food but it's usually heaving with pretentious toffs so I haven't eaten there.
My go to place is the Prince of Wales pub in Putney which is a bit of a walk ~45mins but I like the fact it's not too busy and does good food.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Oh yeah do go to the Ship for their Scotch eggs but avoid the rest of the clientele. The staff there are nice though.

The White Horse on Parsons Green is a nice pub with great beers as well, but again full of toffs.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

sweek0 posted:

The White Horse on Parsons Green is a nice pub with great beers as well, but again full of toffs.

Which is why it's also known as the Sloaney Pony.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

What's the best greasy spoon in zones 1-2?

CaptainCosmo
Aug 14, 2012

I boldly went there.
I would recommend The Brass Rail Salt Beef Bar on the ground level of Selfridges (400 Oxford Street, City of Westminster, W1A 1AB | Floor plan *G*:http://www.selfridges.com/en/StaticPage/LondonFloorGuide/?msg=) or alternatively you could try the B&K salt beef bar (11 Lanson House, Whitchurch Lane, Edgware, London, HA8 6NL | http://www.bksaltbeefbar.com/). If you plan to eat in you can expect to pay at least £6.50 per sandwich, or £4.00 if you choose to take-away. Sanwiches are traditionally served on rye with a gherkin and a choice of either English or American mustard.

If you are in the Covent Garden area and looking for a Bar & Grill you could try Maxwells (http://www.maxwells.co.uk/ | Right outside the underground). Great atmosphere, and competitive pricing given the location (Menu can be found on their website). It is usually very busy, so depending on what time you go, you may have to wait to be seated. Avoid the Mexican Entrées, especially the Quesadilla, in my experience they are very poor. The mains however, are delicious.

CaptainCosmo fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 23, 2013

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

sweek0 posted:

Oh yeah do go to the Ship for their Scotch eggs but avoid the rest of the clientele. The staff there are nice though.

This reminded me of The Sands End pub. It came up when I searched top scotch eggs in London on Google and it's only a short walk for me. It was indeed good and I must get back there some time. Prince of Wales also do good (chorizo) scotch eggs.
So yeah I'd recommend this instead of The Ship.
http://www.thesandsend.co.uk

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Is Pizza East actually any good? I've been working for Square Meal restaurant and bar guide all summer, phoning up every restaurant in London and it's jaded me to eating out, but Kentish Town is getting a Pizza East very soon, or it's just opened (along with Chicken Shop and Dirty Burger) and I'm tempted by proper pizza.

Also dammit, the one weekend I have poo poo to do on Saturday they start giving out free burgers.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

madlilnerd posted:

Is Pizza East actually any good? I've been working for Square Meal restaurant and bar guide all summer, phoning up every restaurant in London and it's jaded me to eating out, but Kentish Town is getting a Pizza East very soon, or it's just opened (along with Chicken Shop and Dirty Burger) and I'm tempted by proper pizza.

Also dammit, the one weekend I have poo poo to do on Saturday they start giving out free burgers.

Yes they're good, but you can get better pizza than that. Actually if you want to try interesting and original pizzas then Pizza East is the best place to go. If you want to go for simple traditional stuff, I would really recommend Sarracino in West Hampstead. Awesome and authentic Naples pizzas in a trattoria kind of setting.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

It's very good in my opinion, and not just the pizzas.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How is Dirty Burger?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Thanks for the opinion on Pizza East, I think I will check it out next paycheck.

The_Doctor posted:

How is Dirty Burger?

The grand opening is on Wednesday this week, I think. They were just giving free burgers away yesterday as a teaser. If it's exactly the same formula as their pop-up was, they should be pretty good. People in my office have been raving about them, although my boss likes Honest Burger better.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I'd say for Kentish Town, it's gonna stand out a lot as a nice destination restaurant, so I would advise checking it out. The main issue people have with Pizza East, I find, is that they employ (at least in Shoreditch) stuck up hipster twats who relish making you wait for a table when there isn't one. I'm not the only person who's had issues with them either. Maybe it's nicer in K-Town!

Also, I think London has finally, finally gotten a little bored of the whole sloppy-amazing-burger trend. The level of excitement for this place compared to what it would have had last year is kind of tiny. After the small plates trend before this I'm interested to see what's gonna be the next huge deal.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I'm just sick of the meatmeatmeat trend in general. Oooh, it's gourmet fried chicken! Oooh, we just serve burgers and lobster! Oooh, we only serve a very specific type of steak! I'm not vegetarian, but I don't like to eat a lot of meat and I'd like to be able to go somewhere new/fun/hyped-up without feeling like I'm eating an entire barnyard. Maybe we'll have a tofu revolution?

That said, I'm oddly enthusiastic about the opening of Bubble Dogs. Champagne and hotdogs. It's like something out of a horrible dream, and I really want to experience it.

The other new opening I'm really looking forward to is global Korean chain, Bibigo in Soho, although I still haven't got round to going to Kimchee on High Holborn. So many places to eat, so little money. Remind me why I decided to study in London again?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

If you're in North London, the new Kentish Town trifecta of Pizza East, Chicken Shop and Dirty Burger are doing 50% food today because it's opening.

(Not my photo)

edit: Chicken Shop's not open till Tuesday, whoops!

Neris fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 22, 2012

CaptainCosmo
Aug 14, 2012

I boldly went there.
I was in London over the weekend, and managed to find time to visit the Brass Rail.

I ordered a large, forgetting that a large meant one and a half sandwiches. Needless to say it was far too much for one person. I would recommend a regular (one sandwich) unless you are extremely hungry. I arrived at Selfridges at around 11:45, after a 10-15 minute walk from Oxford Circus, and was sat down in the Brass Rail with my lunch at 12:00.

It was a little more expensive than my memory had served, costing me around £13.50 for the sandwich and the drink to 'eat-in'. A regular costs around £8, making it one of the most expensive Salt Beef dispensaries in London. Even at this price, I would still say it was worth it.

If it had been a little later I might have opted for one of a selection of beers that they offer to accompany my meal. They also serve wine, which a couple of 'Japanese Businessmen' types were indulging in.

Despite the price, it is very casual; you order and pay for your meal at the front of the restaurant before you are seated, and bring it to your table on a wooden tray.

CaptainCosmo fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 7, 2013

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

So I'll be in London for a weekend in November. Want to try getting a table at Burger & Lobster, but I'm also looking for a good fish & chips place. Preferably near Kensington. Any advice?

Edit: Indian food recommendations also wanted.

Edit 2: All recommendations wanted. My last trip to London was exquisite dining and this time I want good pig out spots as well.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 25, 2012

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

BlueGrot posted:

So I'll be in London for a weekend in November. Want to try getting a table at Burger & Lobster, but I'm also looking for a good fish & chips place. Preferably near Kensington. Any advice?

Edit: Indian food recommendations also wanted.

Edit 2: All recommendations wanted. My last trip to London was exquisite dining and this time I want good pig out spots as well.

Indian pig-out that's actually nice? Can't go wrong with the oft-repeated Tayyaabs.

I'm of the opinion that you can't get decent fish and chips in London. I'm not even English but I think that, and my Northern friends agree. That said, the fish and chips at the White Horse SW6 (Sloany Pony) looked pretty drat impressive the last time I was there, though they do funny things with their chips. The beer selection is ace though. Hit me up if you want to go there, I'll gladly drink (with a fellow brewer no less).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tazzo
Jan 17, 2005

there's too many cats in here

Kaiho posted:

What's the best greasy spoon in zones 1-2?

IMO E Pellicci on Bethnal Green Road, they really ham up the whole Italian family thing but the food's really good, portions are enormous, nice atmosphere, and fairly cheap.