Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gangringo posted:

You have lost connection... :shepicide:
What luck! Since I've started keeping track I've counted 2 games without a disconnect out of my last 8. I'm working with EA support on it but I don't have much hope it will get resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I've only been able to finish out one game today, out of about five. I just played a game on Condor/Geth/Gold, only to have it crash with 16 seconds left in the extraction wave :suicide:

What the hell is keeping this game from banking credits immediately after a wave ends? It would make these crashes much less frustrating

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Lagomorphic posted:

The main reason you use the Scorpion is for the splash damage it will be at it's best when enemies are funneling through a choke point or when you find a fresh spawn clumped together.

The Scorpion is amazing with Cryo ammo because it will instantly freeze trash which keeps you safe while you wait for them to explode. Use the high caliber barrel and extended clip mods. It really shines on a class with overload because you can strip shields and then freeze enemies. I'd actually recommend the Neural Shock evolution if you intend to use the Scorpion because it helps keep trash clumped together on the floor which maximizes the splash damage.

Here's a human engineer build to try. Whenever you run into enemies just shock 'em and start sticking grenades on. If anything stands up shock 'em again.

I use a Talon on my Turian Sentinel because it's awesome and from a min/max perspective that's what I'd recommend. If you like using the Phaeston and you do well using it though then stick with the Phaeston.

Thanks! I'll pass this info along to him. Maybe he'll feel less sad now about missing out on the golden age of the Typhoon while he was steadily upgrading his Scorpion.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

surrender posted:

I've only been able to finish out one game today, out of about five. I just played a game on Condor/Geth/Gold, only to have it crash with 16 seconds left in the extraction wave :suicide:

What the hell is keeping this game from banking credits immediately after a wave ends? It would make these crashes much less frustrating

Since the MP portion is player hosted, the game progresses until it ends, then the results are sent back to the main server. I would imagine that doing otherwise would require a lot more infrastructure on the part of Bioware.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
What is in the coding that makes my PS3 hardlock? This is the only game it does it on. Usually halfway through a plat match :negative:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Man, Bronze isn't even fun anymore since I can mow through poo poo with a level 1 anything and big guns.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Bronze is for solo-ing, preferably with Vanguards, preferably with a melee Kroguard. Or that whole 'learning the game' bit.

Also, is anyone else using the MEPinger and realizing they're connecting to a lot of Russian and Polish games? It certainly explains the lag, at any rate. I'm Canadian, so I'm wondering if I'm shunted into Europe as often as I'm put into American games, or if ME3 is just really popular with eastern Europeans.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I just solo-ed a bronze match with a lvl. 4 Justicar using only a Talon, that was pretty sweet. (Firebase Giant, Reapers)

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I'm thinking I'm going to jump on for some Gold games, though if any goons want to hold my hand through my first Plat match, I'm interested.

I'll be pubbing it up on the 360 for a little while, GT: Synastren BuF.

I'm also on EDIpous EVE, I think.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
What is wrong with the servers lately? In the last 45 mins, I've been disconnected 6 times, froze on the loading screen twice and it refused to authenticate the dlc once. I had to promote the same class 3 times and recreate the same character 3 loving times because of the constant disconnections.

The last couple of days, I got disconnected at the start of wave 11 on a couple of gold and silver games. I just want my credits. :argh:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rick posted:

I really liked your guide, SciFiDownBeat, most of the tactics you described of classes I have seemed fairly good starting places. My main disagreement is the Paladin. Making your own tech bursts is a chore and you could probably do better at it with a regular human engineer. But even on gold and even in my sucky hands the light melee is super effective if you go cryo shield.

Makes sense, since it's the only class I haven't unlocked. I just mashed together advice that I remembered from other goons.

Thanks for the advice Rick! I'm happy that at least one person liked my guide... or even noticed it...

:negative:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

TacticalGranny posted:

Since the MP portion is player hosted, the game progresses until it ends, then the results are sent back to the main server. I would imagine that doing otherwise would require a lot more infrastructure on the part of Bioware.

The system can deduct gels/missiles/consumables that you "used" just fine; I can't see how they can't save credits as you make them as well.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm sitting here on Wave 10, 3/4 of the team has wiped, and it occurs to me that there is perhaps no player stereotype I hate more in this game than "Camps in the unhittable region of Firebase Hydra for the entire map, regardless of the situation or whether or not it's an objective wave."

Bought a PSP: Pistol Ultralights III, Claymore X and :ducksiren: N7 DESTROYER :ducksiren:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 25, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Went back to PSPs to try to get another N7 class. Just as I was about to complain after getting mostly bollocks +3% ____useless stat gears, weapons and classes I don't want, and the likes, I got the Saber. Only tried it once on bronze, but I'm gonna go with Yes.

It's kind of bizarre how veteran packs generally give me a lot more of the things that I actually want (even including the Fury which is what I've used for almost all of my games since I got it). I did get the Geth Shotgun and Graal Spike Thrower from other PSPs, which I tried on my N7 Slayer for a bit, but they really don't seem as good as the Piranha for the most part. And an unexciting Geth SMG II.

Still hoping for an N7 Shadow or a robot but I might just go back to VPs for a while, since the Saber has been the only recent outstanding thing that comes to mind.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Elotana posted:

Here's my stab at a weapon tier list (assuming V for ultra-rares and X for everything else)

:c00l:
Claymore
GPS
Harrier
Hurricane
Indra
Paladin
Piranha
PPR
Reegar
Talon
Valiant

:cool:
Arc Pistol
Black Widow
Carnifex
Falcon
Graal
Hornet
Kishock
Mattock
Saber
Scorpion
Tempest
Typhoon

:)
Crusader
Disciple
Eviscerator
Geth SMG
Javelin
Mantis
Phaeston
Phalanx
Revenant
Widow
Wraith

:downs:
Acolyte
Avenger
Katana
Predator
Raptor
Scimitar
Striker
Vindicator
Viper

:xd:
Eagle
GPR
Incisor
Krysae (RIP)
Locust
Shuriken

Feel free to criticize or just point out what a nerd I am. I'll update the second post with all the new guides and stuff tomorrow.

The Katana is good.

edit: Javelin above Katana is extremely funny.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I'm pretty sure almost everyone here knows about it, but the N7 Fury finally clicked when I realised how Dark Channel works: while it can be used as a long-lasting DoT, the main use for a Fury is to set upan enemy for a Throwsplosion.
What I only recently realised is that, unlike other Biotic Powers used to prime BEs, Dark Channel is not consumed by the explosion, since a BE instead triggers the secondary ability of DC: transferring to a nearby enemy, just like if the original target had died, and it will prime the new target for a new BE.

The last Gold match that I played, I just hit one enemy in a group with DE and then spammed Throw, causing multiple BE chains.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Sure about that? I thought it only transfers once. Also I don't remember if the transfer primes or not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Makes sense, since it's the only class I haven't unlocked. I just mashed together advice that I remembered from other goons.

Thanks for the advice Rick! I'm happy that at least one person liked my guide... or even noticed it...

:negative:

Other people should read it!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Diplomaticus posted:

Sure about that? I thought it only transfers once. Also I don't remember if the transfer primes or not.
I'm pretty sure of that: I was in a Gold game against Geth in Dagger, and whenever I saw a pack of Pyros, I DC'd one, Throw at it, explosion, Throw at the one the power transferred to, explosion, rinse and repeat until they were all dead with only one use of DC. Besides an N7 Vanguard, there were no other players that could trigger my BE, and I was generally on the side to protect the flank, so they rarely factored in.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Diplomaticus posted:

It will keep transferring for as long as its duration lasts and there are targets close enough.
It can be a bit tricky to follow which enemy it jumps to because things tend to be a bit hectic and often the visual effect just plain doesn't show up. But it happens. Just keep an eye out for enemies whose shield/health bar is flashing as they suffer from the DoT.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Nordick posted:

It will keep transferring for as long as its duration lasts and there are targets close enough.
It can be a bit tricky to follow which enemy it jumps to because things tend to be a bit hectic and often the visual effect just plain doesn't show up. But it happens. Just keep an eye out for enemies whose shield/health bar is flashing as they suffer from the DoT.

It also staggers when it transfers.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Nordick posted:

often the visual effect just plain doesn't show up.
Sometimes it also shows up too much. I think it happens when you explode a target that doesn't die from the explosion - in that case the visual effect frequently seems to jump to a random enemy, or multiple enemies if you detonate multiple times, even though none have actually been primed. AFAIK it only truly transfers and primes the next target if the original target dies, which is also when you'll hear the sound effect of it transferring.

On a side note, having throw specced for radius (always do this) helps detonating if you don't know exactly which enemy in a group it has transferred to. Aiming above the enemy for the throw will also greatly increase the chances of the throw detonating in case the enemy dodges - the projectile will hit the ground instead of flying off and the AOE impact will set off the explosion.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 25, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The other great thing about DC is that it primes phantoms reliably, because they can't put up their shield in response. Popping AF will also reliably detonate a phantom.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Got a Harrier last night :woop: man you guys weren't kidding about the ammo on it, but it kills so much faster than the Revenant. Pretty much have to always run the ammo capacity equipment and still have to be sitting by an ammo box.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I've only ever had an in-game disconnect once and I play this game way too much.

Maybe it's a US thing?

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

I've only ever had an in-game disconnect once and I play this game way too much.

Maybe it's a US thing?

I've had my game crash a few times, but I've only ever disconnected when the EA servers themselves went offline personally, and I've been playing the multiplayer since like a month after release. (US)

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
I need to be less stupid, I promoted all my classes after the last weekend operation.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Hmm. So according to the blog entry, the event ends in a little over 14 hours. But the timer on the BSN forums says we have 39 hours. And either noone's asked about it or there just hasn't been an official answer in the operation thread.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

The blog post has been wrong about times before so I'd assume the timer was correct. Also this would be the first time an event weekend ended before early Monday morning if it did end in 12 hours.

Still no sense in waiting if people have two level 20's to promote.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Lagomorphic posted:

The blog post has been wrong about times before so I'd assume the timer was correct. Also this would be the first time an event weekend ended before early Monday morning if it did end in 12 hours.

Yeah, I thought it was weird when someone asked yesterday morning and I went to check out the blog post. Regardless, it would certainly make for a good excuse to bug support if the timer turned out to be wrong.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought I would promote all of my 20s just since I may as well get the number up while everyone is doing it and expects to be playing with lower levels, but it felt like such a pain to get my soldier and infiltrator back up when I wanted to play silver that I'm not sure I'm going to promote anything else. At this point I only feel like I have a chance at winning gold with N7 Fury, and even then it's reliant on not fighting Geth and a good bit of luck.

I did recently get a Krogan soldier though who is performing rather well on silver so I might try some gold with him. Probably going back to PSPs too after getting about 6 VPs containing nothing but human classes and Shuriken, Incisor, and Eviscerator upgrades. The Desire Sensor came here from Monster Hunter.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I hated soldier and infiltrator until the Destroyer and Shadow came along. Now I think they're some of the most fun classes to level.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Finally unlocked my last UR, the Indra. And it rocks rear end on a GI. God that's a satisfying gun to use, it feels almost like the harrier of the sniper rifle world.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I promoted everything for the event. I like to feel like I'm doing my part even if it is an easy goal. Gives me an excuse to play at low levels again. Between my Talon and lvl 4 consumables Gold isn't that hard at level 1.

Of course if I could finish a game without dropping at some point this weekend that would really help with the leveling.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tremors posted:

I hated soldier and infiltrator until the Destroyer and Shadow came along. Now I think they're some of the most fun classes to level.
The basic human infiltrators are pretty bad, but the Salarian infiltrator is my favorite class. Maxing out damage from cloak plus taking all the damage evolutions on E.Drain will completely strip the shields of anything less than a Phantom even on gold, it lets you tell target unit "hold still for a second while I put some holes in you," and by constantly refilling your shield bar it means you basically can't die against Geth unless you're cornered by pyros.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tremors posted:

Those are what I've been trying to unlock for a while. I got a really good burst of luck a while ago which gave me several things which have since become crutches like the Mattock and N7 Fury, but since then it's mostly been a ton of crappy gear equipments. I suppose they most likely are more statistically probable to show up just by nature of how many of the drat things there are.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If nothing else, the unreliable servers have taught me to do Gold without consumables equipped.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Those are what I've been trying to unlock for a while. I got a really good burst of luck a while ago which gave me several things which have since become crutches like the Mattock and N7 Fury, but since then it's mostly been a ton of crappy gear equipments. I suppose they most likely are more statistically probable to show up just by nature of how many of the drat things there are.

Believe me, they are not. I get maybe one gear piece out of every three SPs/PSPs I buy.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Promoted 4 classes. Sigh... the highest one I have left is a 15 sentinel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I picked the N7 Destroyer out of a PSP yesterday night after promoting my Soldier and the EXP boost puts it at level 8. My plan was to use what points I have to max out Devastator Mode, drop my Claymore X (from the same pack :whatup:) and my Typhoon IV on him and walk into Silver with my best "COME AT ME BRO" face on. Good plan y/n?

• Locked thread