Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Man I wish they allowed modding. Some things I'd fix after playing for 3 hours:

- Remove only saving at bonfires
- quicksave
- remove respawning enemies after using bonfire
- add a loving jump button
- remove having to find your souls after death
- cut all enemy damage in half, remove every single instakill instance

and before you ask, I'm not trolling or joking. I couldn't be more serious.

I thought about it, and basically I want Dark Souls with Gothic/Two Worlds/Risen gameplay instead.

I'm a sadist, not a masochist. These elements just add frustration and unnecessary risk/reward paradigms that suck cock like a cheap hooker.

I got up to the second level and tried to get past the dragon (attacking him with a bow pisses him off, that's a nice touch lol) and attack him headon. I didn't go to any of the nearer bonfires because I didn't want the enemies to respawn, they should stay dead.

It sent me to the starting bonfire, and My will to continue is evaporated. Maybe I'll play more later when I'm not pissed.

Risk/Reward makes this game the magic that it is. It's clearly not for everybody, but if all that poo poo you listed changed, this game would be boring as gently caress.

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't gotten around to playing it on PC yet, but how's the slow down in Blighttown? I can't loving wait to play this game.

I had no slowdown in Blighttown, even with the 1920x1080 resolution fix, on an i5-750 + HD 6970 2GB + 4GB RAM, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hearing the Parish bell ring after some good bro-op continues to make me smile every time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

This is the most ridiculous thing. You want a completely different game. Why not just go play Risen?

Because Risen doesn't look as loving cool and gritty as the darksouls/demon souls games do. No game is thematically like DS.

That's why I want to play it. The other poo poo everyone lauds just gets in my way of enjoying that.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Man I wish they allowed modding. Some things I'd fix after playing for 3 hours:

- Remove only saving at bonfires
- quicksave
- remove respawning enemies after using bonfire
- add a loving jump button
- remove having to find your souls after death
- cut all enemy damage in half, remove every single instakill instance

and before you ask, I'm not trolling or joking. I couldn't be more serious.

I thought about it, and basically I want Dark Souls with Gothic/Two Worlds/Risen gameplay instead.

I'm a sadist, not a masochist. These elements just add frustration and unnecessary risk/reward paradigms that suck cock like a cheap hooker.

I got up to the second level and tried to get past the dragon (attacking him with a bow pisses him off, that's a nice touch lol) and attack him headon. I didn't go to any of the nearer bonfires because I didn't want the enemies to respawn, they should stay dead.

It sent me to the starting bonfire, and My will to continue is evaporated. Maybe I'll play more later when I'm not pissed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Because Risen doesn't look as loving cool and gritty as the darksouls/demon souls games do. No game is thematically like DS.

And you want to remove everything that makes Dark Souls, Dark Souls?

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't gotten around to playing it on PC yet, but how's the slow down in Blighttown? I can't loving wait to play this game.
Just finished Sen's Fortress. The only time I've had anything resembling slow down was at the bottom of Blighttown, standing at the far end behind the great hollow looking towards Quelaag's. It dropped to something like 20 FPS. Every single moment of the game has been at a rock solid 30FPS. No crashing either, the only problem I've had with this game is GFWL occasionally refusing to log me in.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Orv posted:

And you want to remove everything that makes Dark Souls, Dark Souls?

Imagine you're looking at dark souls/demon souls. Now replace the combat wholesale with Gothic 3 or Risen 1 and change nothing else.

BAM, I'm satisfied.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Imagine you're looking at dark souls/demon souls. Now replace the combat wholesale with Gothic 3 or Risen 1 and change nothing else.

BAM, I'm satisfied.

So you should probably get on making that game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

BAM, I'm satisfied.

Good for you. Now get out or stop bitching.

poo poo I wish every game involving any sort of sword and board dragon-fantasy fighting just shamelessly copied and pasted Dark Souls' combat system and risk/reward system for death and exploration, then other games might be as good as this one.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

GreenBuckanneer posted:

BAM, I'm satisfied.

BAM, :frogout:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

1. How to get there, I know it has something to do with rescuing Dusk.
2. What the four new bosses are (they've already shown off 3 in previews).
3. If there's any incredible items

How to get there:

1. Kill Hydra, rescue Dusk, go see talk to her and buy whatever you need
2. Go thru Anor Londo and get Lordvessel and place it
3. Go to Duke's Archives, first room past the first bonfire is is a new crystal golem, kill it and get the broken pendant
4. Go back to were you rescued Dusk, there will be a weird lookin portal. There's a bonfire right thru there where you can save and warp to and from.

Four new bosses:

1. A chimera with a poison tail. Uses lightning and melee. Appears to be weak to lightning. Chop off his tail for a poison whip. Drops Guardian Soul, not sure what it does. He's fast and moves very quickly. Ranged battle would probably be best.

2. ARTORIAS. He's...not too easy. Melee, doesn't appear to be weak to fire, lightning or divine. He moves very quickly and will try to do a power up super saiyan; attack him with everything you got when he does that and you can stunlock him out of that. Try to summon help for this one, two other phantoms will make it much easier. Drops his Soul, which can be used to ascend a +10 Claymore into the Abyss Sword, or you can visit this same area later, meet Ciaran, and trade his soul for her two daggers, which would be great for a DEX/Crit build. After killing him Dornhall will sell his set for 20k per piece.

3. Optional black dragon! This is a very cinematic and exciting battle and I haven't even come close to beating it. You'll find a key through careful exploration of the area past Artorias. Use that key at the top of Artorias' tower to meet Gough, who will shoot the dragon from the sky, allowing you to fight him. This dragon is a hardass, so be advised. Cutting off his tail gives you the Obsidian Greatsword.

4. Manus, who appears to be Flamelurker and is apparently the Pygmy. At the very bottom of what appears to be Tomb of the Giants Part II. Drops his soul which can be crafted into a Catalyst. I haven't fought him, he is apparently a badass.

Incredible new items:

1. Little wooden carvings that you can drop (they are reusable) that will say something to all the phantoms in your world in Gough's voice. Stuff like "I'm sorry" or "help me!"

2. The Guardian Set, a super heavy set of armor, lighter that Havel's, 98 poise for the whole set, and better resistances. Found piece by piece in the Royal Wood. I really like it.

3. A loving rear end in a top hat merchant who will also Darkwraith you. Kill him for his weird Joker with a top hat set. He sells nothing of use for way too much money.

4. Three new Sorcery spells and a Pyromancy combustion-like. They use Dark Magic, which apparently does extra damage to humans. The Sorceries all take an INT score in the mid teens, nothing too crazy.

5. An item that emits a WoG-like field to repel Dark Magic.

I will say that the DLC area is tough, I wouldn't go there before level 55-60, and make sure you have some good weapons.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mcvey posted:

So you should probably get on making that game.

I wish I could. :(

Bobnumerotres posted:

Good for you. Now get out or stop bitching.

I'll probably bitch a little bit (about as much as everyone else anyways) but I'll keep trying the game anyways.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Just had a pretty :darksouls: moment.

After spending bout an hour dying and learning Quelaag's tells I figure I'd just summon someone and get some help since I don't wanna be here forever. I make my way from the bonfire to the boss door with no summon signs in sight.

So I summoned mildred by the door but then decided to head back up the mound to check for any summon signs I missed. I see no signs and when I turn around mildred is wailing on the egg guys that were just chilling there. So I figure may as well claim some souls , as the guy dies I am completely unprepared for the explosion of worms that swarm me and leaving me to die promptly.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 25, 2012

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

You realise adding a jump button would pretty much mean that decent amounts of the game would have to be rewritten right?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SixtySix posted:

How to get there:

1. Kill Hydra, rescue Dusk, go see talk to her and buy whatever you need
2. Go thru Anor Londo and get Lordvessel and place it
3. Go to Duke's Archives, first room past the first bonfire is is a new crystal golem, kill it and get the broken pendant
4. Go back to were you rescued Dusk, there will be a weird lookin portal. There's a bonfire right thru there where you can save and warp to and from.

Four new bosses:

1. A chimera with a poison tail. Uses lightning and melee. Appears to be weak to lightning. Chop off his tail for a poison whip. Drops Guardian Soul, not sure what it does. He's fast and moves very quickly. Ranged battle would probably be best.

2. ARTORIAS. He's...not too easy. Melee, doesn't appear to be weak to fire, lightning or divine. He moves very quickly and will try to do a power up super saiyan; attack him with everything you got when he does that and you can stunlock him out of that. Try to summon help for this one, two other phantoms will make it much easier. Drops his Soul, which can be used to ascend a +10 Claymore into the Abyss Sword, or you can visit this same area later, meet Ciaran, and trade his soul for her two daggers, which would be great for a DEX/Crit build. After killing him Dornhall will sell his set for 20k per piece.

3. Optional black dragon! This is a very cinematic and exciting battle and I haven't even come close to beating it. You'll find a key through careful exploration of the area past Artorias. Use that key at the top of Artorias' tower to meet Gough, who will shoot the dragon from the sky, allowing you to fight him. This dragon is a hardass, so be advised. Cutting off his tail gives you the Obsidian Greatsword.

4. Manus, who appears to be Flamelurker and is apparently the Pygmy. At the very bottom of what appears to be Tomb of the Giants Part II. Drops his soul which can be crafted into a Catalyst. I haven't fought him, he is apparently a badass.

Incredible new items:

1. Little wooden carvings that you can drop (they are reusable) that will say something to all the phantoms in your world in Gough's voice. Stuff like "I'm sorry" or "help me!"

2. The Guardian Set, a super heavy set of armor, lighter that Havel's, 98 poise for the whole set, and better resistances. Found piece by piece in the Royal Wood. I really like it.

3. A loving rear end in a top hat merchant who will also Darkwraith you. Kill him for his weird Joker with a top hat set. He sells nothing of use for way too much money.

4. Three new Sorcery spells and a Pyromancy combustion-like. They use Dark Magic, which apparently does extra damage to humans. The Sorceries all take an INT score in the mid teens, nothing too crazy.

I will say that the DLC area is tough, I wouldn't go there before level 55-60, and make sure you have some good weapons.

Aaaah! Thank you, this is amazing, and thanks to the others who answered my questions about how to get in.

I'll probably go into the DLC area once I'm at the "Re-running kiln over and over for ore" point, as most will. From what a lot of people have been saying it's tougher than the main-game content.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Aaaah! Thank you, this is amazing, and thanks to the others who answered my questions about how to get in.

I'll probably go into the DLC area once I'm at the "Re-running kiln over and over for ore" point, as most will. From what a lot of people have been saying it's tougher than the main-game content.

It is. I went back to New Londo Ruins to get the Very Large Ember after a few hours in the DLC area and it was positively relaxing.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

SixtySix posted:

Incredible new items:

I made a video of the carvings and Silver Pendant, I won't embed it since they're pretty amazing and exploitable in online play.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
Okay so I just killed the Taurus Demon, but I haven't been to any vendors, or anything yet. The only reason I killed him was because I picked up the easy way to kill him, otherwise I have no gear and he'd kick my rear end in two hits. Is this correct? I just want to make sure before I keep going, because I'd love to find some loving vendors or actually upgrade my gear right now.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I'm dying to the most basic enemies, I keep losing my souls, I keep making bone headed mistakes.

I love Dark Souls. :allears:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay I've been dicking about for a while, mostly helping people beat the Chaos Witch, but finally decided to get going with the main plot. But that's when I realized... Uh... Is there like, a quick way out of Blighttown, or will I have to backtrack through the entire thing? Because lemme tell you I'm not looking forward to that one bit. At least all the rear end in a top hat toxic dart guys are dead on the return trip I guess...

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Infinity Gaia posted:

Okay I've been dicking about for a while, mostly helping people beat the Chaos Witch, but finally decided to get going with the main plot. But that's when I realized... Uh... Is there like, a quick way out of Blighttown, or will I have to backtrack through the entire thing? Because lemme tell you I'm not looking forward to that one bit. At least all the rear end in a top hat toxic dart guys are dead on the return trip I guess...
There's two exits leading up out of Blighttown. One is a bit more expedient than the other...

Specifically, the rickety wooden elevator thing near Quelaag's Domain leads to the Valley of the Drakes, which has a nearby exit to Londo Ruins, which has that elevator to Firelink.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Haha this is awesome.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Forgedbow posted:

There's two exits leading up out of Blighttown. One is a bit more expedient than the other...

Specifically, the rickety wooden elevator thing near Quelaag's Domain leads to the Valley of the Drakes, which has a nearby exit to Londo Ruins, which has that elevator to Firelink.

The gently caress? I could've sworn I had investigated the entire area that you get to by the rickety elevator. Must've missed something. Thanks.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
I'm SL65. Where's a good place to go invade people?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hey, anyone want to help an SL37 against Ornstein and the fat guy. I rolled in with three phantoms and they absolutely got their poo poo pushed in, unbelievable.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Token Cracker posted:

I'm SL65. Where's a good place to go invade people?
Anor Londo. There are always humans in Anor Londo.

Khobra
Jul 26, 2006

Bwahaha!
gently caress you Anor Londo archers, gently caress you. Finally killed them. I didn't have anywhere near this amount of trouble on PS3.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish I could. :(

I'll probably bitch a little bit (about as much as everyone else anyways) but I'll keep trying the game anyways.

Do you know what's going to frustrate you even more? The success of this game and it's critical acclaim means a lot of future games of this type are going to adopt these traits. At least, I hope they are.

Damnit I wish I didn't have so much work to do, I just want to play this game so I can come in here bitching too. I haven't played since last night and everyone's getting ahead of me and I'll soon have to stop reading the thread or risk being spoiled and aargh this game has apparently turned me into one of those people that cares about having video games spoiled aargh.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Man, does anyone have recommendations on how to beat Havel? That, or which bonfire should I start from, because he's a little awkward to get to from the main Undead Burg one (the one with the ladder). So far my tactic has been to take off my knight's pants so I get the faster roll, and then pyromancy him with combustion on a +5 glove, but drat my eyes one loving hit and I'm down. I WANT HIS SOUL.

Also, what's the use of the Moonlight Butterfly's soul? I don't want to just use it for souls, but is it useful for a strength guy?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

man Dark Souls would be so much better if they allowed you to play as Batman from the Arkham City game

i would just grappel my way up to Anor Londo and use a smoke grenade to confuse the four kings and then me and Robin would gang up on Havel

but only if from software actually made mouse and keyboard perfect, am i right guys

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Arujei posted:

Man, does anyone have recommendations on how to beat Havel?
Backstab him repeatedly. Circle-strafe him counter-clockwise and he'll never hit you. You may want to consider upgrading your weapon before you try though, he has a lot of HP and extremely high defence.

There is a bonfire in Darkroot Basin that's a short-hop past some Golems to his tower. Though be prepared to fight him immediately after opening the door.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Arujei posted:

Man, does anyone have recommendations on how to beat Havel? That, or which bonfire should I start from, because he's a little awkward to get to from the main Undead Burg one (the one with the ladder). So far my tactic has been to take off my knight's pants so I get the faster roll, and then pyromancy him with combustion on a +5 glove, but drat my eyes one loving hit and I'm down. I WANT HIS SOUL.

Also, what's the use of the Moonlight Butterfly's soul? I don't want to just use it for souls, but is it useful for a strength guy?

That dude's just a matter of patience. My tactic was to never stop moving left or right, keep your shield up, and only use backstabs. When he puts his shield away is when he's most dangerous but also easier (it seemed like anyway) to get around him.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Arujei posted:

You can also parry him. As soon as his club starts to come forward, hit parry and then you can counter. This will get you really good at parrying.

Or it you will become so enraged at the game when you sucessfully parry him to just a sliver of health about twenty times just to die each time. You start getting so mad you can't even see straight and suddenly find yourself falling off the damned cliff to get to him and now the controller is in the wall.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I beat the miniboss near the forge guy but I'm scared of the boss of the area behind it. :ohdear:
I'm still running around in leather armor, when should I actually upgrade to a different set? should I upgrade evrything to +5 before moving on?

Also playing with a 2handed sword now. I can't block physical damage fully anymore, but it feels a lot more effective still at killing things.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

FrickenMoron posted:

I beat the miniboss near the forge guy but I'm scared of the boss of the area behind it. :ohdear:
I'm still running around in leather armor, when should I actually upgrade to a different set? should I upgrade evrything to +5 before moving on?

Also playing with a 2handed sword now. I can't block physical damage fully anymore, but it feels a lot more effective still at killing things.

you should at least get around to upgrading your weapon(s) and your shield to +5.

You can upgrade your armor some as well, it'll help a bit and its not like titanite shards are hard to come by. You just need 800 souls for one from the blacksmith.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What the hell. Is the mage firing homing magic missiles new for the pc version at the gaping dragon boss fight? I don't remember a mage being there before.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So, that was bizarre. I got summoned for the Parish, and when my host went to free Lautrec, he came back with a ghost chasing him. Not a NL ghost, but a multiplayer ghost. I could collide with it, but I couldn't interact with it in any other way, and it killed the host. The hell was that?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

keyframe posted:

What the hell. Is the mage firing homing magic missiles new for the pc version at the gaping dragon boss fight? I don't remember a mage being there before.

Someone didn't take out that channeler back past the first fog gate in the depths.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Hot drat, the undead burg/parish was pure pleasure compared to the depths and Blighttown. After much toil I've managed to reach the bottom of Blighttown but there's toxic snipers everywhere and I don't have any flowers left and oh god what are those mosquitoes and i wanna go hooooome :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

FrickenMoron posted:

I just beat the guy. It was pretty close at the end, but when I switched from using my claymore to firebombs, that last 1/3 of its HP disappeared pretty quick.

quote:

Havel advice
Thanks folks. Can I backstab with a claymore? The light attack is a big swing, and the only time I got backstabs on other enemies was with my broadsword.

• Locked thread