Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

revmoo posted:

Chiming in to say that I love my 100 pound HF full-size steel jack. Best tool purchase ever. It's portable enough if you eat your wheaties.

I agree with this. I use a performance tool 2 ton floor jack as my 'throw in the trunk when driving a long distance' jack. Ive had it for 8+ years now, its a solid tool, but definatley weighs 50+lbs.

Portable is relative, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have a tool/jack related question; is there some sort of adapter plate you can buy for a floor jack to support transmissions so you don't have to buy a whole other jack?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Got a welder? :clint:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I talked to people that have bought the transmission adapters, and no one has had any luck with one. I bought the HF scissor type to remove one transmission, it did OK.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

For what it's worth, I lowered my transmission down using a regular jack plate with some blocks of wood to cushion the casing. My tranny is quite light though, so YMMV.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I talked to people that have bought the transmission adapters, and no one has had any luck with one. I bought the HF scissor type to remove one transmission, it did OK.

For the price I paid for the scissor jack I can't complain.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
For all our transmission needs we go with the "3 mates and a slab of beer" option.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I saw a cheap rattle gun on the weekend so bought it. The socket I have for my car lug nuts is a dual-ended thing with two different sizes, with the square bit in the middle.

What's the doohickey called to plug onto the end of the impact wrench and extend a square shaft out to the socket?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

~Coxy posted:

I saw a cheap rattle gun on the weekend so bought it. The socket I have for my car lug nuts is a dual-ended thing with two different sizes, with the square bit in the middle.

What's the doohickey called to plug onto the end of the impact wrench and extend a square shaft out to the socket?

An impact extension?

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

~Coxy posted:

Sounds like youve got a 'flip socket' they usually come in a 3 peice kit, one SAE, one metric, and then a 3" extension. Im curious how you got just the one socket, since as you obviously know, its useless without the extension.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
sharkytm: thanks, that's it.

Raw_Beef: thanks for that term as well. I was given a jack from a guy who was moving and it came with the sockets and a 90 degree angle extension but no straight one, I guess he lost it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Harbor Freight has their 3-Day parking lot sale this weekend, any clues as to what's going to be in the sale? I'm itching to finally pick up that 44" tool chest but it's back up to $380 again.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Rhyno posted:

Harbor Freight has their 3-Day parking lot sale this weekend, any clues as to what's going to be in the sale? I'm itching to finally pick up that 44" tool chest but it's back up to $380 again.

There's always a $350 coupon floating around for that box on the internets.

edit: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=198673&d=1343245194
Had the link copied, but forgot to paste it :v:. Also worth asking if they have any scratch and dent or floor models for sale.

velocross fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 21, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

velocross posted:

There's always a $350 coupon floating around for that box on the internets.

Oh sweet! I mean, $30 savings is a tank of gas to get there and back (truck gets terrible mileage) so it's worth it for me.

Edit: not finding it anywhere.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 21, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Need a multimeter for diagnosing a parasitic drain. What's the best for under $50? I already have an analog one that I love but it's cheap and old and people don't seem to mind DMMs so I figure that's what I'll get to replace it.

EDIT: Ended up grabbing the green one from Harbor Freight. It's pretty nice. I've tested it on a few things are it seems like the accuracy is pretty decent. Also I discovered the AA batteries I bought from Harbor Freight recently are actually 1.2v. It even says so on the label.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 22, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So since I'm trying to sell the truck I figured I'd better get my use out of it so I went to get that tool box. I sweet talked the two staff members into letting me use the 20% coupon which brought the box down to $325 after tax.

Now to resist the urge to buy additional pieces.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How are the drawer slides? I was curious when you start loading it up with tools how well they function.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Thoughts on Digital Torque Adapters? Any good as an alternative to an actual torque wrench?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

ammo mammal posted:

Thoughts on Digital Torque Adapters? Any good as an alternative to an actual torque wrench?

The big downside to an adapter is that it won't fit into as tight spaces as a wrench. Otherwise they're exactly the same as an electronic torque wrench, just a strain gauge and some electrics. Excellent repeatability, good enough accuracy, but useful range is usually less than a mechanical wrench.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How are the drawer slides? I was curious when you start loading it up with tools how well they function.

I've had mine for over a year. I've loaded the bottom drawer with lots of impact tools and it's held up well.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Has anyone seen, or owns, a cheaper OBD2 diagnostic logging dongle that you can leave in a car for a week or two? Something that I can plug into a sporadically-misbehaving car, send someone on their way, and tell them to call me when the fault happens again. My handheld scanner is not something I'd want to send with a person, and more often than not, they're automotively-challenged anyway. I'd just like to see what the ECU is seeing during a fault condition, without me having to drive around town trying to duplicate said issue.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PitViper posted:

Has anyone seen, or owns, a cheaper OBD2 diagnostic logging dongle that you can leave in a car for a week or two? Something that I can plug into a sporadically-misbehaving car, send someone on their way, and tell them to call me when the fault happens again. My handheld scanner is not something I'd want to send with a person, and more often than not, they're automotively-challenged anyway. I'd just like to see what the ECU is seeing during a fault condition, without me having to drive around town trying to duplicate said issue.

My scan gauge will do that, sorta. It logs the freeze frame data if there's a code.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

My scan gauge will do that, sorta. It logs the freeze frame data if there's a code.

That's just mode $03.....the ECU is storing that and you are retrieving it.

I think PitViper is looking for something more like this

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Motronic posted:

That's just mode $03.....the ECU is storing that and you are retrieving it.

I think PitViper is looking for something more like this

Yup, similar to that. I'd just like to be able to see what the ECU is seeing at the time of the fault. $99 is a bit higher than I'd like, but seems to be about par for the course. Might be worth it, if I can make sure they don't drive off and never come back.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

PitViper posted:

Yup, similar to that. I'd just like to be able to see what the ECU is seeing at the time of the fault. $99 is a bit higher than I'd like, but seems to be about par for the course. Might be worth it, if I can make sure they don't drive off and never come back.

Maybe ask for a deposit and not really bring up the true cost of it (because I imagine a $100 deposit would probably make people shy to do it).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PitViper posted:

Yup, similar to that. I'd just like to be able to see what the ECU is seeing at the time of the fault.

Well, that's pretty much mode $03. Have you tried using that for diagnostics? I know a lot of mechanics don't and are amazed when I show them how useful $03 and $06 are.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
For you Canagoons Canadian tire have a combo with both SAE and metric flex head gear wrench and stubby wrench sets for $75.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
So I'm lowering a quick lift today at work, and sort of looking on the other side of the car. I hear my buddy yell: STOP STOP STOP!!

The entire loving lift clipped an open drawer on my box by about an inch, and sent the entire box dumping over drawer side down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is the Harbor Freight trim tool set complete garbage or would it get me through one small job?
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

I'm going to be swapping out my radio and need it to remove one or two small pieces. I don't want to spend $15-30 like I've seen on more expensive sets if this will work. I've seen a guide where a credit card was used instead, but I figure a proper tool would give better leverage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just used it today to remove the windshield trim on my truck. It's very handy.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Uthor posted:

Is the Harbor Freight trim tool set complete garbage or would it get me through one small job?

I'm going to be swapping out my radio and need it to remove one or two small pieces. I don't want to spend $15-30 like I've seen on more expensive sets if this will work. I've seen a guide where a credit card was used instead, but I figure a proper tool would give better leverage.

I used one in the process of doing my miata top. Worked well for the most part, but I got a few stubborn fasteners that ruined one or two of the tools. I'd probably go for the metal set if I did it again. Should be fine for your use, though

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have a no-name probably 80 piece socket set from Costco (maybe?). I'm looking to get a decent mechanics set and I was wondering if anybody has some input. I'm looking at getting the Kobalt set from Lowes because I've heard over the past few years that Craftsmen has declined in quality.

Lemme know what you guys think!

camino
Feb 23, 2006
If your no name set gets the job done, use it until it doesn't anymore.

In the meantime, save up for a good brand like Snap-On or SK. Or buy SK pieces as you need them.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Phone posted:

I have a no-name probably 80 piece socket set from Costco (maybe?). I'm looking to get a decent mechanics set and I was wondering if anybody has some input. I'm looking at getting the Kobalt set from Lowes because I've heard over the past few years that Craftsmen has declined in quality.

I haven't had any problem with Craftsman sockets themselves but if you go that route budget in a nicer ratchet from somebody else.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

Phone posted:

Husky brand hand tools from Home Depot are suprisingly good. Their wratchets are very ergonomic and the wrenches are slim low profile like snap-on, unlike my fat rear end bulky craftsmans from 10 years ago.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bang Me Please posted:

I haven't had any problem with Craftsman sockets themselves but if you go that route budget in a nicer ratchet from somebody else.

The newer Craftsman ratchets are better as far as size, but you're totally right about getting a good ratchet. I picked up a couple of the newer high-tooth-count Snap Ons (I think they are the "Dual 80" series). They were goddamn expensive but worth every penny. They seem to have at least double the detents/clicks whatever, so working in tight spaces is so much easier.

Could I live without them? Sure. Just like I could live without my gear wrenches. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to. They definitely cut down on the swearing.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Uthor posted:

I have the yellow set and I use it all the time. I use it for a lot of various odd jobs.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I do a pretty good amount of work and I usually use Harbor Freight sockets with Snap-On Dual 80 ratchets. If you are going to have one really nice ratchet it should be 1/4" drive. If you are going to have two, get 1/4" and 3/8". Bonus points for flex heads.

I don't like HF ratchets and I don't like their wrenches. Gear Wrench makes pretty good ratcheting wrenches and Craftsman wrenches are generally OK. Look for wrenches that have thicker material on the open end. My Craftsman ratchets sit in the bottom drawer of my tool box, never used.

Make sure you get a 22mm wrench. A lot of metric sets don't include this size. It is used a lot (oxygen sensors, outer tie rod end jam nuts, strut bolts, other stuff). It is pretty much the same size as 7/8". I keep my metric and standard stuff apart so having the 22mm makes things simpler for me.

I use cheap screw drivers because I lose them all the time. Sometimes they break but thats OK. I lose more than I break so buying expensive screw drivers that don't break is a waste of money for me.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Harbor freight has "Ooga" horns on sale for $11. You know you want to.

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-db-old-fashioned-sound-ooga-air-horn-96291.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Holy poo poo I'm buying that. I'll wire it to a button and keep my existing horn. That is bad-rear end.