Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, that episode was awesome. It's just the right mix of Arino improving and Arino failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

I hope they told him about the warps at some point. I don't want to think about the pain of going through the snake pit in its entirety after every game over.

Jolopy
Apr 7, 2004
Nyargh.

Meme Emulator posted:

The JP version of battle toads is a little bit easier. The biggest change is 5 lives per continue instead of 3, but the timing of the bike level was eased up on a little bit.

IIRC theres no jump ramps either, just regular ramps.

Everything else should be the same. The snake level was as awful as I remember it being

I played the poo poo out of Battletoads when I was a kid. A friend and I spent a whole summer dedicating our lives to beating it.

Things I noticed that were different - (Correct me if I'm wrong):

Turbo Cable Stage:
Less Zappy robots appear - There's a part where 2 at a time assault you
Also looked like they made it so 2 clipper crows dont attack you at the same time.

Turbo Tunnel (bikes)
-They got rid of the last speedy rat pod, it's a dickish GOTCHA! move on the game's behalf
-They removed the manual jumping part where a "!" appears and you need to jump without the aid of ramps. They added ramps at that part in the JP version.
-The end part looked a little less intense.

Surf City:
-Big Blagh's(the mini-boss) stomp doesn't insta kill you

Snake Pit:
Super speedy snakes slowed down to regular speed. There's a part near the end on room 3 where snakes continuously come out in a straight line. They get faster and faster. Although I may have this mistaken for the final room which was not shown.

Tickles me pink that Arino is enjoying this so much and that the staff is getting impressed with what the game has to offer. Thanks so much for the translation. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole episode.

Edit: Typo

Jolopy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 25, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:lol: I completely forgot that the Space Invaders directly assault your health bar. That's really goddamned clever for when this game out.

In fact, I'm trying to remember any recent games that have assaulted the fourth wall in that manner and failing. I know there was at least one, though. :confused:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In that new marvel fighting game, Deadpool has a super move where he smacks you around with your own health bar.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Jolopy posted:

Things I noticed that were different - (Correct me if I'm wrong):

Surf City:
-Big Blag's(the mini-boss) stomp doesn't insta kill you

I'm pretty sure it does, Arino just doesn't usually get hit by it or he gets hit by it at low health and dies anyway.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Doc Hawkins posted:

In that new marvel fighting game, Deadpool has a super move where he smacks you around with your own health bar.

Everything he does in that game breaks the 4th wall; he talks to the player a lot, he will grab the camera/screen and shake it, and he yells something like "taunt button" when you hit the taunt button (or maybe I'm thinking of him yelling "anime power up" during another part).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Am I the only one avoiding watching the episode until the second part is released? I'm bad at cliffhangers. :ohdear:

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

FredMSloniker posted:

Am I the only one avoiding watching the episode until the second part is released? I'm bad at cliffhangers. :ohdear:

I would say watch it since it actually doesn't end in a cliffhanger. This is the first 2 episode challenge that they didn't really make a big deal about. They just say the game is going to get even harder in the second episode.

It's probably due to the fact that I love the game and still find it stupid hard, but this is already my fav GCCX episode. It's a perfect challenge for the show.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FredMSloniker posted:

Well I guess youll have something to watch while downloading this then

Can Arino finally hop his way to victory over Battletoads?! You can find out thanks to this translation by Zari-gani!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 511.65 MB)
View torrent stats

http://depositfiles.com/files/k3zfqs728

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
You guys are so awesome.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Awesome.

Thanks for all your hard work guys!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Can't wait to see the Project CX segment about ROB the Robot in Battletoads part 2. I love the Project CX segment. It is fun to watch Arino trying out many Famicom accessories. Can't wait to see the one with the Power Glove and the inflatable bike.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Looking at this image is bringing the memories of frustration and anguish right back to me. Poor poor Arino.

I eagerly await his performance on the other levels of the game.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
May I say that the JOY BALL looks like just the worst peripheral ever

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Just finished the part 1, and now there's part 2 available?!? Thanks!

Was there some GCCX stuff available for the 3DS? I can remember it being talked earlier in the thread, or the old thread, just got my 3DS.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

makere posted:

Just finished the part 1, and now there's part 2 available?!? Thanks!

Was there some GCCX stuff available for the 3DS? I can remember it being talked earlier in the thread, or the old thread, just got my 3DS.

The 3DS GCCX videos are only available on a Japanese 3DS and is region locked. Many of them have videos up on the web.

The Arino swapnote is avalable if someone can send it to you through their 3DS.

Jolopy
Apr 7, 2004
Nyargh.

Uznare posted:

I'm pretty sure it does, Arino just doesn't usually get hit by it or he gets hit by it at low health and dies anyway.

You may be right. I was just going by the announcer who said something along the lines of "It does significant damage" and I think he recovered from the squash animation instead of flat out dying. Like it did a 3 bar amount of damage. I'm sure when he fights Robo Manus we'll get to see for sure if they nerfed it down or not.

Stefan Prodan posted:

May I say that the JOY BALL looks like just the worst peripheral ever

I invite you to watch the Angry Video game Nerd on the NES peripherals.

The Lazer scope is pretty hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kBMscW_dVg

Jolopy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 25, 2012

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Does the Japanese version of Battletoads not have the pause music? Or do they just mute it for the sake of the show? I mean, it gets repetitive fast but it's so good. He pauses a few times -- 44:40 is one.

Also, that Battletoads picture is amazing.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 25, 2012

MikeTheWarrior
May 31, 2006
Butts on the internet
I just realized that the pause screen music for battletoads is composed of punching/fan death sound effects.

Anyway, these last few episodes were awesome, battletoads especially! It was great seeing Arino enjoying the game so much even if it is really difficult. Thanks guys :3:

Jolopy
Apr 7, 2004
Nyargh.
So it appears the boss squashing is still an instant kill in the JP version.

But the snake slow down is confirmed in the snake pit. As well as some spikes being removed in the Gargantua Aqueduct stage where the gears chase you. The first enemies: the grey electricity firing ones do not instant kill you upon touching them. You had to carefully approach them and attack them (slamming them against the ceiling) - otherwise they self destruct on collision, killing you. Arino was able to run right by them without harm.

Candid Gamera
Jan 5, 2005

Look happy, it's the end of the world.

NmareBfly posted:

Does the Japanese version of Battletoads not have the pause music? Or do they just mute it for the sake of the show? I mean, it gets repetitive fast but it's so good. He pauses a few times -- 44:40 is one.

Also, that Battletoads picture is amazing.

I remember playing Battletoads as a kid, and when we got stuck or died a lot, we'd just start a new game and have a pause music dance party. Oh, Arino, you're bringing back so many great memories!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
So many frog puns. :negative:

What song did they use for Project CX? It sounded like Nakajima Miyuki.

Edit: Abe seems surprisingly knowledgeable about this game. :raise:

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 25, 2012

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011
My favorite part of the first Battletoads episode was during the Project CX segment:

Kibe: Joyball.
Arino: Never heard of it.
Kibe: What!? You don't know the Joyball?

Was it really that popular?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Clearly the best part of either episode was Arino ducking to make the mouth open and making silly noises.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Gutcruncher posted:

Man, I bet you were just waiting for someone to say that before you announced this episode. I know I would have.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

So many great puns. Thanks so much for translating this one, it's made my weekend.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

zrrgin posted:

So many great puns. Thanks so much for translating this one, it's made my weekend.

It is indeed a toadally unfrogettable episode. I love this episode - Arino is just having so much fun, even when it's kicking his rear end.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In all seriousness, "kaeru" -> "toad back" is a brilliant translation.

Silentman0 posted:

Clearly the best part of either episode was Arino ducking to make the mouth open and making silly noises.

I find it difficult to believe that even a single kid did not do this back in the day.

Reagle
Feb 16, 2011

Otter you waiting for?
Both Battletoads episodes on my birthday? You guys are so sweet~

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Gutcruncher posted:

Can Arino finally hop his way to victory over Battletoads?! You can find out thanks to this translation by Zari-gani!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 511.65 MB)
View torrent stats

http://depositfiles.com/files/k3zfqs728

Super great! I was just getting bummed out because I don't have anything good to do tonight. You guys are the best.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I'm absolutely dumbfounded that Arino managed to enjoy Battletoads through the entirety of it. Though the Japanese version looks not as sadistic as the one I know and hate, especially Terra Tubes because gently caress that level.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
God dammit I wish I knew about the warps when I was younger. I never got past the tube level, so it was cool seeing everything past it. Rat Race looked like a really evil level in particular, but for it's time that's actually a really cool concept for a level.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Battletoads had a lot of great concepts and mechanics. It's just a shame that the crippling difficulty meatn most people never got to see them. I never owned the game, but I rented or borrowed it a few times, and I remember struggling with the bikes every time. I'm pretty sure the furthest I ever got was the snake level.

Stages like Rat Race and the tower at the end were unique at the time, and I'm sure that's what kept Arino interested and engaged throughout his run. For a guy who's played the best and worst that hit the NES, this was the most fun I've seen him have playing a game.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

For a guy who's played the best and worst that hit the NES, this was the most fun I've seen him have playing a game.

Dude loves battletoads! Maybe if we had the easier version more people would loved it too. Tons of people I think WANTED to like it, because it seems like so much fun, but in practice it just made children cry.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
What a great episode. This part absolutely slaughtered me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGa43HjAJGE&t=3099s

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

serialrobinson posted:

My favorite part of the first Battletoads episode was during the Project CX segment:

Kibe: Joyball.
Arino: Never heard of it.
Kibe: What!? You don't know the Joyball?

Was it really that popular?

I think its more that Kibes a huge nerd and happened to like that thing. Just like he is a sega fan, which gets him no respect from Arino.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
With Battletoads finished, I think that about covered every video on my GCCX wishlist over the years. You guys did that ridiculously fast, too.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree

ProfessorLoomis posted:

What a great episode. This part absolutely slaughtered me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGa43HjAJGE&t=3099s

Totally reminded me of this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp9oEc0kt8Q&t=101s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It occurred to me that very few people posting here are aware of what the Project CX segments are parodying. There was a fairly popular documentary series called Project X on Japanese television about ten years ago. The show was all about Japan's post-was industrial boom and each episode featured the story of someone (or some company) struggling to overcome a challenge in a great project such as designing a new car or building a skyscraper.

Here's a sample if you want to see how close Project CX is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40TcAGfIHSE&t=89s

Mayor McCheese posted:

With Battletoads finished, I think that about covered every video on my GCCX wishlist over the years. You guys did that ridiculously fast, too.

All that means is that you were unaware of how incredible some of the remaining videos are. :colbert: