Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
That's actually... a bit of a shame. I think a co-op brawler would be a lot of fun and give the devs a lot of room to play with new mechanics. Come to think of it a game telling about the origin of Dante and Vergil's relationship would be a pretty good match for this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ChewyLSB posted:

the biggest strike against the game to me is Ninja Theory.

Yeah, well, NT has had a consistently lovely attitude from the very beginning, really. It doesn't help when they think they're crafting this great artistic, satirist's epic that will change the future of gaming forever, when what they are infact doing, is making a video game about a half-demon dude who beats up things.

notZaar posted:

That's actually... a bit of a shame. I think a co-op brawler would be a lot of fun and give the devs a lot of room to play with new mechanics. Come to think of it a game telling about the origin of Dante and Vergil's relationship would be a pretty good match for this sort of thing.

It'd probably play something like Dynasty Warriors, if this hypothetical game were good. Classic Dante and Vergil though. I'm not sure if I could put up with Grim McScowlyface and Richie Rich. :colbert:

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I haven't really kept up with the game at all, but after watching a couple of videos it looks like just about the blandest action game ever. I could get over a terrible story if the game was fun but I honestly can't imagine how it could look more dull.

Did they decide that being flashy and exciting was as passé as Dante's look?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, well, NT has had a consistently lovely attitude from the very beginning, really. It doesn't help when they think they're crafting this great artistic, satirist's epic that will change the future of gaming forever, when what they are infact doing, is making a video game about a half-demon dude who beats up things.

This is what keeps my hackles up about this whole thing. I think a lot of the rage would have died out if they weren't such abrasive, bag-of-hot-air pricks.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
And the journalism fellatio continues!

quote:

Dante remains a show off - evident in the series' famed cutscenes - and continues to show little or no respect to his demon pursuers. The combination of humour, thumping heavy metal tunes and creepy environments are all present, leading us to wonder what's changed in Dante's world other than his barber.

Hair chat! :eng101:

quote:

For any doubters out there still not convinced that this is a true Devil May Cry release, look no further than 'Secret Ingredient', a good old-fashioned boss fight against one of the ugliest screen-filling demons we've ever faced.

After a quick - and crude - slanging match to set the tone, Dante must avoid the monster's huge hands and toxic breath in action that takes place on multiple platforms and above molten-hot lava. Like all good boss battles, this is a multi-staged affair, becoming harder every time Dante cuts one of the monster's supports, leaving him dangling ever closer to a flaming death - or so it would seem.

The monster's shrill screams and taunts serve as a suitable soundtrack for such an epic encounter, an encounter that just keeps on going. The combination of platforming and combat is a particularly nice touch, and really drives home the importance of mastering Dante's new abilities.

Not only is it a visually appealing boss battle, but it also presents one hell of a challenge, something that makes Devil May Cry such an engaging franchise.

http://puu.sh/Vj1q

source:http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a400855/dmc-devil-may-cry-preview-new-face-same-old-dante.html

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

How is that a devil may cry secret ingredient? how is a platforming segment during a boss fight Devil May Cry-ish?

I just remember that you evaded patterns and when there was an opening you proceeded to combo the poo poo out of the boss in most fights.

Can they stop comparing on how its totally gonna stand on its own like the others in the serie and just treat it as a spin-off already, its just embarassing.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 22, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BobbyBaudoin posted:

How is that a devil may cry secret ingredient? how is a platforming segment during a boss fight Devil May Cry-ish?

Well...technically.

But it's not that common, really. And the Saviour is a little different in that you just jump automatically. And it's not just "heavy attack" "grapple" "heavy attack" "grapple".

It's also a giant statue, and not just Slurms McKensy who swears. So it's got that going for it.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Pesky Splinter posted:

Well...technically.

But it's not that common, really. And the Saviour is a little different in that you just jump automatically. And it's not just "heavy attack" "grapple" "heavy attack" "grapple".

It's also a giant statue, and not just Slurms McKensy who swears. So it's got that going for it.

Its also the worst boss in DMC3 or 4.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ChewyLSB posted:

Its also the worst boss in DMC3 or 4.

Agreed. The concept of it is really cool, but it's a drag actually playing it :sigh:

The worst in the series though has got to be that loving fish from DMC2. Urgh. Actually, most of the bosses in 2 are pretty terrible, one way or another. Because there's nothing as fun as slowly whittling down a bosses massive health bar with E&I, right? :shepface:

At least by the looks of things, DmC bosses won't be on that scale of awfulness. Whether they are difficult or not, remains to be seen. Excluding Slurms McKenzy.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 22, 2012

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

notZaar posted:

DMC3 kind of had co-op, you equipped doppelganger and the second player was your shadow. In the final level the second player was Virgil.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Didn't we learn from DMC3 that the secret ingredient to Devil May Cry was surfing? Specifically, surfin' on demons' stupid faces while shooting all their buddies and possibly eating a slice of pizza at the same time?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Crowetron posted:

Didn't we learn from DMC3 that the secret ingredient to Devil May Cry was surfing? Specifically, surfin' on demons' stupid faces while shooting all their buddies and possibly eating a slice of pizza at the same time?
A part of me still wonders what a Gun Pool tournament would be like.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
One good thing about this thread is that it made me finally order DMC4 for the PC (7 bucks) - I just need to actually beat DMC3 first.

EDIT: VVV Yeah, I have the Platinum trophy. If they ever release a better port or (be still my heart) a PC version I wouldn't mind paying for it again.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 23, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Renoistic posted:

One good thing about this thread is that it made me finally order DMC4 for the PC (7 bucks) - I just need to actually beat DMC3 first.

Have you played Bayonetta? Because the DMC Secret is that the best Devil May Cry game doesn't even have Dante in it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

The worst in the series though has got to be that loving fish from DMC2. Urgh. Actually, most of the bosses in 2 are pretty terrible, one way or another. Because there's nothing as fun as slowly whittling down a bosses massive health bar with E&I, right? :shepface:

At least by the looks of things, DmC bosses won't be on that scale of awfulness. Whether they are difficult or not, remains to be seen. Excluding Slurms McKenzy.

There are 3 good fights in DMC2 and they all have mitigating factors that make them shittier than they have to be. Every other boss fight sucks flat out with the tentacle boss being a standout in a crowd of poo poo and managing to be worse than the fish who would be a strong contender for worst boss in the series otherwise.

Wait; does the boss from DMC1 whose a giant pool of slime that sucks you into a dimension where you refight the spider count? He sucks really, really bad.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that boss is Nightmare and he's bad. Just a big HP sponge with lots of annoying attacks. He's the requisite "giant blob of flesh" boss as per Capcom Inc's quota.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is the combo scoring system that easy to pull of a SSS rank by spamming the same attack?

I know he's not hitting back but surely 5 heavy attacks shouldn't give a rank that high.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently they forgot to program in that part of the combo system that gives diminishing returns for using the same attack. DMC is in good hands folks!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Full interview with Alex Jones (Producer)

Segments of the interview have been shown before.

DmC: Devil May Cry interview – Jones on combat, Vergil - DmC will reinvent Dante and throw Ninja Theory to some of the most vicious fanpeople in video games. Capcom US producer Alex Jones speaks to Dave Cook on nailing combat and fearing for his life. posted:

DmC, the next in Capcom’s Devil May Cry action series, is one of the publisher’s most anticipated and controversial games. Despite the fact it looks incredible, both Capcom and UK developer Ninja Theory have gone to great and constant lengths to assure the IP’s devoted fanbase that this really will be a Devil May Cry game. There are those that still don’t believe them.

Capcom US producer Alex Jones sat down with VG247′s Dave Cook at gamescom last week to talk through DmC’s latest reveal – the return of Vergil – and the pressures of working on such a famous action game.

VG247: Your most recent reveal was of Dante’s brother, Vergil. Why did you decide to bring him back and what sort of role will he play in the overall plot?

Alex Jones: Even though we’re making a lot of changes there’s still going to be a healthy dose of continuity, and we’re certainly showing that in the combat area. The combat feels like a DmC game. Dante’s got Ebony and Ivory, he’s got a sword, and it was also important to make sure that we kept same sensibility, brought back recognisable elements.

Vergil made the most sense out of the pantheon of past DmC games. We’re re-telling Dante’s origin, and we’ve changed some stuff in the canon, including Vergil’s relationship with Dante. We don’t want to give away too much about it, but he is Dante’s brother, he’s head of the Order and he’s had his eye on Dante for some time.

He’s been waiting for the best time to reveal himself to Dante, suck him into his master plan to fight the demons. The idea was, we wanted anyone who had played a previous Devil May Cry game to not find this an alien experience or a stretch of the imagination.

Aside from Vergil you also revealed a new stage that sees Dante assaulting the headquarters of a Demon propagandist. It seems to take many smart pot shots at spin, right wing news and the media in general. Can you tell us a little more about this part of the game?

Sure, yeah. Dante is on his way to face Bob Barbas, who is patterned after… well, a bunch of TV news hosts in the States [laughs]. He’s been spending most of the game painting Dante as a mindless, vicious sociopath.

It’s both setting up the demons using their influence over politics and the media, as well using things like energy drinks to demonise and villainise Dante to the general public.

So that particular section showed CCTV footage of Dante fighting to survive against demons, but what the public sees is him wantonly slaughtering innocents, which is actually not happening. It goes to show you the level of control the demons have over society and that people fall into their way of seeing things.

Devil May Cry has always been a slick, stylised series, and that particular level was the same in the way it was themed like a FOX news ticker. It was inventive. You guys must have been given so much freedom to really run wild with the source material.

Yeah, it’s great. Capcom cared about some things intensely because they thought they were essential to the DNA of the series. But in other areas like the presentation style, areas of game design, and a lot of things outside the combat mechanic, we were given pretty much free reign to do what was best.

I will say that Capcom Japan was totally open to the idea of making this a western game, which was totally exciting and we’ve made good on that. It was liberating, but it’s also learning without a net because – if by chance you hosed it up – it would have been all on you. [:iamafag:]

This next bit is interesting.

Cont. posted:

You’re right to say that there has to be those core fundamentals that make this feel like part of the Devil May Cry series, and combat is probably the most important aspect. How difficult was that to really nail?

Yeah it was hard. I only observed it for the most part, but it was the designers on the ground and a number of key creatives in Capcom Japan who worked on it most intensely.

In essence it was like a 25-year wisdom transplant from Capcom to Ninja Theory – from Street Fighter up to Dragon’s Dogma – everything Capcom’s ever learned about one man hitting another essentially [laughs], as well as how you hit people in the most enjoyable fashion possible.

We’ve been working on this for a couple of years, and we were at Ninja Theory about a week out of the month. We’d spend probably one day intensely on Dante’s redesign at the start of the project, and then another three out of five days on just combat, combat, combat.

It was everything from frame-counting, putting a hit stop there, no not quite like that, we have to use this sound for that move, and it was really awesome for Ninja Theory and I think they learned a lot. They’re going to be making amazing combat games for years to come now.

Cont. posted:

We’ve seen Dante’s combat in action thanks to a few reveals so far. He uses launchers, jugglers, grapples and weapons. Just how big does his combat tree get after you land that first hit?

The thing is, the combat tree gives you infinite ways to attack. There are discreet combos that can be strung in an infinite number of ways to seamlessly change between angel and demon weapons. But within that you can use the d-pad to switch between weapons on the fly without any waiting.

You can just jazz, you know? Just bust out attacks to your heart’s desire, and we’re expecting there will be tons of YouTube videos after launch that feature combo strings that even we haven’t found out yet.

Sitting down and actually playing this game – it’s clear the combat is there. What about other things that make this part of the Devil May Cry family? Stage progression in the original could be difficult as there were barely any checkpoints and that could be pretty brutal. Does DmC use the same format?

No, and I think it’s fair to say that part of the western sensibility is that we have less-soul crushing checkpoints. That was one of our things, not having unfair checkpoints, so yeah I think we have very kind checkpoints, and I don’t think its going to frustrate people or make things too easy.

But that exact feeling of ‘I just did the same checkpoint eight times and I keep dying, I don’t want go back to that. I’m done with this game’. No that won’t be there.

At the end of each stage will we also get the same progression and levelling menus as previous games?

Yeah the red orbs are kind of our primary economical element of the game, and you won’t just get them from enemies but there will be some areas – and it’s not an open world game – where you can go down certain paths and find packages with more orbs and other things.

So they’re the main currency of the game if you will and there’s further continuity in progression, buying new combos, upgrading certain weapons, getting items, and so it’s going to be very advisable to DmC fans to collect those orbs.

This is about the difficulty. There will be other modes of difficulty, or "remixes" to appeal to the more experianced DMC players.

Difficulty posted:

We’ve already discussed that DmC won’t be an easy game, but where does it sit among the series in terms of difficulty?

Well if you want to call Devil May Cry – the non-special edition – the apex of the difficulty scale, we’re not that hard. We’re very, very challenging, so hopefully we’re around the special edition of Devil May Cry 3, which I think was very fair, a fair balanced challenge.

For long-time players, they’re going to get every bit of a challenge that they want. Our goal was to make sure we retained that appeal for those guys, but at the same time to not to leave out crushing difficulty players.

The other thing is that there will be remix modes that are so soul-pulverisingly difficult that there will be plenty of stuff for the super-hardcore player to test their mettle against.

That’s smart to include such a wide range of difficulty settings, especially as more and more people of varying skill levels are now playing games.

Yeah and thing is, we never took it as a given that servicing those two groups are mutually exclusive – something can be accessibly skill-based. There’s tons of depth there and some of it we’ve made very apparent so casual players can see it, and there is some hardcore stuff in there for those who want that sense of accomplishment.

Speaking of appeal – and apologies as this is an old, worn issue – but your redesign of Dante polarised many gamers initially. But as they see more of the game in action, it feels like many – not all – fans have now come around and accepted his new look. [:rolleyes:]

Yeah, now it’s fine, but I could have done without having to fear for my life [laughs]. There was always going to be people who saw new Dante and who didn’t want it, and that’s fine. We understand – I understand – that people are passionate about it, so this isn’t a bad thing.

Being angry about it – yeah I get that – but we always said, ‘when you see the game and you play it, trust me, you’re going to understand that we were doing the right thing’. Now that’s happening, so yeah it’s vindication, but it’s not like smugly sitting back and going ‘ha ha’.

It’s more like, ‘We understand why you guys had doubts, and we knew that we had to prove this to you, and we were happy to do it.’ That was our responsibility.

Is that so? Well, I think it's fair to say that NT haven't exactly created the impression that they aren't smug tosspots, concerned more about the artistic statement of what they're doing than the substance.

quote:

That’s the funny thing because – looks aside – he is Dante. He’s foul mouthed, he’s brash, he swears more than ever. Was censorship ever an issue for you guys during development?
[He's Dante...except he isn't! Wait?]

One of the things about making a western game, we wanted to make the tone a little less campy, and a little more darker. It’s still got a sense of humour, but it’s just more appropriate in the world Dante is now in, where’s it’s less acceptable to make corny jokes and better to make darker ones.

He’s still irreverent, he’s still – at the end of the day – the guy who will kick your rear end and drop a cool one liner afterwards.

And as this is a re-telling of Dante’s origins, would you say there is more empathy here? Will we get under his skin deeper than we ever have before?

Yeah, I mean the story is Dante kind of finding his purpose. He’s on the margins of society at the start and he’s just kind of surviving, and then Vergil finds him. At first, just by offering him an opportunity for revenge, Dante then at least has some sort of a goal.

As he moves deeper into the story he becomes more connected with the larger struggle it’s about him finding his place in the world. So he starts off in one way and ends up in another. There will be a trajectory he follows that brings him to be a fully-formed person.

At the end of his journey, what main things do you hope people will come away with, besides the usual awesome, mad balletic poo poo?

Yeah [laughs], hopefully ‘balletic awesome poo poo’ will be one of their few takeaways from the game. For the story, I hope it’s a satisfying story that resolves itself and potentially leaves people wanting to find out more about this world and what could come next. But yeah awesome balletic rear end-kicking was one of the main objectives.

That’s good to hear as a lot of hack n’ slash games have really dumbed down their combat when compared to games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta. Is that a trend you’ve noticed as well, and is it fair to say that DmC is a return to form?

We’re trying to re-establish our claim in the genre. We’re aware of Bayonetta and it’s a perfectly fine game, but we never took that as a standard we were shooting for explicitly, nad that also goes for other less-hardcore games with the same kind of melee combat.

We never looked at those games and said, ‘we need to do that’. We were trying to live up to the standards of DmC while adding new value and ideas with the insight of Capcom Japan. We’re always aware of what’s out there, but it’s not like we had a box cover of Bayonetta tacked up to the wall.

So you weren’t throwing darts at it?

No exactly, we did nothing like that [laughs].

Although they have this strong, focused mission statement Ninja Theory – contrary to what disapproving gamers may feel – are actually a humble bunch and feel grateful for the chance to handle this franchise. Would you say this process has helped them grow in any areas?

They have been great to work with, no doubt about it. A lot of developers may crack under the pressure, and we have been taskmasters throughout this whole project. But they are just as perfectionist as us, and they have been so passionate about every little pixel.

On top of that they had a deep reverence for Dante and the first DmC especially is a big thing for Tameem, it resonated with him very deeply. Yeah I think they were humbled, but I think they were also super gratified that we came to them with this opportunity.

They have turned down other publishers to work on some of their IP, and we felt honoured that they would work on it, just as we felt honoured we brought it to them.

We had difficult challenges to overcome together, but it’s all part of the process. They took our feedback amazingly well, we understood the strengths of what they did well and we got out of the way of that, and it’s one of the best partnerships I’ve ever been involved in.

Is it cynical of me to doubt that Tameem is anything but humbled or reverent for DMC as it was? To use this article's own words.

quote:

It’s a clichéd thing to say but it sounds like a was a dream come true.

Well a little bit yeah, I mean Tameem was stoked. He is so good at taking feedback and incorporating it into the game. But nah, it has just been great.

Flip it around then, and what has Ninja Theory’s involvement taught Capcom about development?

I can’t speak for the Japanese contingent but personally, seeing how a western developer makes games on the ground is very different to the way it’s done in Japan. In Japan it tends to be – make something perfect and then move on to the next thing and then make that perfect.

In the west it tends to be – let’s make the entire game incrementally. So I think it was interesting to see the guys watch that style of development, and to see it work, especially as some collaborations between Capcom and other western developers perhaps didn’t come off so well.

By the same token, we have taken a lot away from how the Japanese approach their games, so it was definitely a two-way street.

source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/24/dmc-devil-may-cry-interview-jones-on-combat-vergil/

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Have some pictures:

CA of Not-Glenn Beck from Tron.

This dude's been around for a while, but apparently, this is the first boss. Or mini-boss.

More hot gothic factory action. Wait, what's that?

Cartoon Slurm Queen.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That interview is the most insufferable thing and the fact that they're acting like the build-up for the game hasn't been anything other than massive vitriol from both the developers and most fans is ridiculous. I understand you need to save face because you're trying to market the game, but god dammit there has got to be a point where you can't kiss more rear end and actually have to admit something's amiss. Even if the game ends up decent at this point, the pre-release shenanigans are going to sour me on it so much that I'll barely be able to enjoy what little of it is probably good.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

quote:

suck him into his master plan to fight the demons

For some reason I found myself thinking that the story probably would be better if it was more akin to

quote:

"NO, I must kill the demons!" he shouted.
The Virgil said "No Dante. You are the demons."
And then Dante was a demon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Iacen posted:

For some reason I found myself thinking that the story probably would be better if it was more akin to

Isnt that the plot to DMC3?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Isnt that the plot to DMC3?

That's the joke.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
More pre-order stuff:

EB Games/Gamestop - Samurai skins

Looks better than the bone skins, but nothing really outstanding. They look rather generic if anything.

The preorder bonus is to get some free upgrade points to buy things at the beginning of the game.

Best Buy - Gold skins

Pre-order bonus is currently not known. And there's not a lot to say other than how lazy these loving skins are.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 27, 2012

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Pesky Splinter posted:

More pre-order stuff:

EB Games - Samurai skins

Looks better than the bone skins, but nothing really outstanding. They look rather generic if anything.

The preorder bonus is to get some free upgrade points to buy things at the beginning of the game.

Best Buy - Gold skins

Pre-order bonus is currently not known. And there's not a lot to say other than how lazy these loving skins are.

Ugh. loving hell, these 'bonuses' are loving terrible. All I can really say.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

More pre-order stuff:

EB Games - Samurai skins

Best Buy - Gold skins

What bothers me personally is that these pre-orders only change weapon skins, rather than being new costumes for Dante or something like that. But then again, compared to weapon skins, character skins must seem like a whole lotta :effort:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Alacron posted:

But then again, compared to weapon skins, character skins must seem like a whole lotta :effort:

As if these weapon skins aren't :effort: enough. I'd like to see character skins, but they probably wouldn't because they'd say it'd "ruin" the story they're trying to create, or some poo poo like that.

And I can think of one skin they could do, that would sell like hotcakes, but they wouldn't do it. And that'd be Classic Dante. Though, really, I'm glad they haven't - it's better to move him as far away from this mess as possible.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 27, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still waiting to see who gets the DMC3 Dante skin pre-order bonus :allears:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If only it had been something cooler like moves, maps or weapons that you can only get from select retailers or by paying money a month after the game's release.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Those weapons don't exactly excite me, but that might just be due to the mock-up. Handle on the scythe is too short to look impressive, and both are too skinny. Shotgun isn't as bad, but it still looks bland and blocky. Doesn't have much on an electric guitar that shoots bats.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
None of the weapons look that visually interesting to be honest. The scythe is just a scythe and the axe is just an axe. It lacks any flair to it. Case in point, Eryx - the gauntlets, are just flaming oversized fists.

Even in DMC1, Ifrit at least looks visually interesting, even if you'll never see it in this detail ingame.

It's more effort than just giant fists.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 27, 2012

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, Eryx just makes him look silly. Kind of like Musclemass from Prototype 1, only without the insane palm strike showering gibs everywhere. :allears:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Ah man, that's like the least flattering shot of this game you could find. The bland dark gray of his hulk gloves and coat combined with the washed out shirt is just so flat and boring. I hope it's made to make him stand out of the hyper-colorful environments, otherwise this is going to be one dull looking game.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It seems like all of the weapons are designed around the idea of one weapon morphing into different forms, so they've all got to look like they're made from the same material. I'd guess this would be to "solve" the issue of where Dante's weapons go when they're unequipped, but in the end it just makes them all look painfully generic.

I mean, going from the weapons of 3 & 4, you had crazy poo poo like "demon forged rock guitar that shoots electrified bats and turns into a scythe," or "twin blades of fire and wind made from the skulls of your enemies," and "demonic mandibles that infinitely produce energy spikes that can be wielded as blades and explode upon contact with a rose." Whereas in this game we have sword, axe, scythe, and fists I guess.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

Ah man, that's like the least flattering shot of this game you could find. The bland dark gray of his hulk gloves and coat combined with the washed out shirt is just so flat and boring. I hope it's made to make him stand out of the hyper-colorful environments, otherwise this is going to be one dull looking game.

To be fair, that's the best image of the gauntlets currently out there at the moment. That said, I'm actually really surprised at how bland some of the backgrounds are in this game.

And Dante does seem to blend into the background of a few of them. Against really orange backgrounds (like that street level) he sticks out, but for cooler colours. Well...

And that's the first time I've seen that video leading up to that boss. Goddamn the platforming looks so dull.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 27, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like spray painted hulk fists, the ones that made noise when you smashed together.

Man I hate to nitpick but some of the poo poo in this game just makes it to drat easy.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Alteisen posted:

Looks like spray painted hulk fists, the ones that made noise when you smashed together.

Man I hate to nitpick but some of the poo poo in this game just makes it to drat easy.

I could see, in a classic DMC game, a variant of Dante Must Die mode where all of Dante's weapons are replaced with toy versions, and do significantly less damage. Foam Rebellion, Nerf Ebony & Ivory, Hulk Fist Ifrit.

drat it, Capcom.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Guitar Hero Guitar Nevan :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Rock'em Sock'em Boppers Gilgamesh. Squirtgun Spiral

• Locked thread