Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

It's new to everybody who didn't have one of the few Japanese feature phones on which the game was originally released.

Well... yeah but by that logic the iOS FF: Tactics was new to everybody who didn't have a PSP and that wasn't $30. They're porting over existing games and asking $30 for it, which really shouldn't fly on iOS.

Even this is $20 and I bet it'll be a much better game than FF: Dimensions (how the hell are they gonna make the two character controls work like this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

They seriously think cellphones are just another NDS/PSP, don't they?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Square Enix sure is missing the point when it come to iOS games.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

(how the hell are they gonna make the two character controls work like this)

Considering the subtitle, they probably just won't.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If you watch the trailer your partner's on the bottom screen and all the two character control stuff (Shiki's ESP cards, etc.) are gone. Personally, I'm betting your partner is an AI fighter now.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cake Attack posted:

If you watch the trailer your partner's on the bottom screen and all the two character control stuff (Shiki's ESP cards, etc.) are gone. Personally, I'm betting your partner is an AI fighter now.

I'm actually OK with this, it was impossible to control both screens at once. The best you could do was mash the d-pad and hope for the best.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Krad posted:

I'm actually OK with this, it was impossible to control both screens at once.

If you're a scrub. :smug:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

microwave casserole posted:

Yeah, it was the Ice Caverns that were aggravating me
Well there you go, Ice Cavern actually has forced fixed encounters if you walk into the mist streams as they're blowing across the walkways. It makes a lot of folks think that the encounter rate is high and biases their view for the rest of the game, but it really is most of the time just folks not realizing that they're bumping into environmental hazards (the game does tell you that you're doing this, albeit in a kind of cryptic way).

I think you're being a little hard on Frontier Village Dali, though, and maybe focusing a little too much on the synth acoustic guitar; it's a fantastic super-chill track and it's pretty much the only one in that vein in the entire game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 26, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rurik posted:

After reading 14 pages of Leovinus' FF8 LP, I'm interested in playing the game again with the intention of breaking it. I'll use cards and junctions and hopefully can keep Enc-None on all the time, cause gently caress random battles. Are cards enough to have enough spells for junctions? Also, can I figure everything out for myself or do I need a guide? And is there some point in the story I shouldn't progress beyond too early if I want to max or almost max my characters?

if you want to actually break the game, you're better off reading my LP in the archives which details basically every mechanic, obvious and hidden, in the game.

Re: FFIX load times; if you're comparing it to a PS2 game I think you can see the problem with your argument.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 26, 2012

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

if you want to actually break the game, you're better off reading my LP in the archives which details basically every mechanic, obvious and hidden, in the game.

Re: FFIX load times; if you're comparing it to a PS2 game I think you can see the problem with your argument.

Your lovingly donated avatar reminded me I sort of forget that Lightning has pink hair and how or when my brain began to process that as a legit color in an otherwise normal design.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

penguinmambo posted:

Your lovingly donated avatar reminded me I sort of forget that Lightning has pink hair and how or when my brain began to process that as a legit color in an otherwise normal design.
Well, it's not like it's super bright pink.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing

The White Dragon posted:

Well there you go, Ice Cavern actually has forced fixed encounters if you walk into the mist streams as they're blowing across the walkways. It makes a lot of folks think that the encounter rate is high and biases their view for the rest of the game, but it really is most of the time just folks not realizing that they're bumping into environmental hazards (the game does tell you that you're doing this, albeit in a kind of cryptic way).

Ah, I saw that message and assumed that it was telling me to follow the mist to get to the exit. Naturally, I went the opposite direction as often as I could in order to make sure I didn't miss any secrets. :pseudo:

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 26, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

microwave casserole posted:

Ah, I saw that message and assumed that it was telling me to follow the mist to get to the exit. Naturally, I went the opposite direction as often as I could in order to make sure I didn't miss any secrets. :pseudo:

Hoisted by your own petard.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Azure_Horizon posted:

The encounter rate in IX is almost exactly the same as VII or VIII, but I'll never understand why the (only 20 seconds) loading times for battles are enough to make the game not as lauded as the others, when it's pretty much better than all of them.

Do you mean relative to VII and VIII, or relative to the entire series? Loadtimes are fuckin' annoying and add up over the course of a long game, and should absolutely be a factor in someone's evaluation.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

penguinmambo posted:

That's Serah Farron, her sister, tyvm. >:/

The loadtimes in FFIX were not nearly as bad as people make them out to be, and I'm pretty sure VIII also had long load times as well. And I don't think it's a big enough factor to detract from the game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

how the hell are they gonna make the two character controls work like this

They aren't.

Now, since there was a plot relevant reason for having 2 screens originally how they rationalise that will be... interesting, to say the least. Y'know, assuming they even try to.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dragonatrix posted:

They aren't.

Now, since there was a plot relevant reason for having 2 screens originally how they rationalise that will be... interesting, to say the least. Y'know, assuming they even try to.

Your partners now act like pins? That's not better at all! :doh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I was giving an example of another game with loading issues. Would you prefer I compare ff9's terrible combat delay with numerous PS1 games that didn't add hours to your gameplay due to long-as-poo poo loading?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was giving an example of another game with loading issues. Would you prefer I compare ff9's terrible combat delay with numerous PS1 games that didn't add hours to your gameplay due to long-as-poo poo loading?

They probably also have way, way less intensive graphics than FFIX does in any given battle. And the loading times hardly added up to hours of gameplay. Not even close.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap the dislikes on that video.

The backlash for this being a port announcement is kind of amusing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Ahahahahahah Azure your title. :laffo:

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Final Fantasy VI.

SNES version on Wii or GBA version? I hear the PSX version sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Final Fantasy VI.

GBA version. It has slightly poorer sound but extra content and a bunch of bugfixes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Your call. SNES has a more "Saturday morning cartoon" vibe in its script; 6A a little more sterile and pretentious in word choice. 6A fixes a number of player-exploitable bugs but, I dunno, you might be like me and like that kind of thing in your games. 6A also adds some dungeon that was cut from the SNES version due to space constraints, but it's really just kind of a grindy deal.

Funnily enough, for all the bugs it fixes, 6A comes back with a different kind of bug: about a quarter of the way through the game, you get these special items you can equip to your characters that will permanently increase your stats on level up. In the SNES version, dying would keep your levels but restart you at your most recent save. In the GBA version, dying resets your levels but keeps the stat increases you got from leveling up with these items, so you can have ridiculous poo poo that wasn't possible in the SNES cart like totally maxed (and totally unnecessary) numerical stats :psyduck:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Final Fantasy VI.

If you're going to use an emulator go GBA then apply patches to fix issues like the colors and music.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

If I choose the GBA version, I'm going to play it on my GBA.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

The White Dragon posted:

but keeps the stat increases you got from leveling up with these items, so you can have ridiculous poo poo that wasn't possible in the SNES cart like totally maxed (and totally unnecessary) numerical stats :psyduck:

Hoooly poo poo, I did not know this. I guess I've found my new hobby for lunch breaks next week. :haw:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Hey, look what I finally did :D

Chemist/Ranger/Summoner/Black Mage so uhm. Bartz and Faris !Mixed almost all of my items to make Lenna and Krile ridiculous, as the two of them spammed Carbuncle, Golem and Firaga on the entire party. I'm not entirely sure which order I killed Neo Exdeath's parts in, I just remember noticing at one point that the top and front parts were dead, and then a few Firagas later the very back part died and I won.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

Your call. SNES has a more "Saturday morning cartoon" vibe in its script; 6A a little more sterile and pretentious in word choice. 6A fixes a number of player-exploitable bugs but, I dunno, you might be like me and like that kind of thing in your games. 6A also adds some dungeon that was cut from the SNES version due to space constraints, but it's really just kind of a grindy deal.

Funnily enough, for all the bugs it fixes, 6A comes back with a different kind of bug: about a quarter of the way through the game, you get these special items you can equip to your characters that will permanently increase your stats on level up. In the SNES version, dying would keep your levels but restart you at your most recent save. In the GBA version, dying resets your levels but keeps the stat increases you got from leveling up with these items, so you can have ridiculous poo poo that wasn't possible in the SNES cart like totally maxed (and totally unnecessary) numerical stats :psyduck:

Does FFA6 break when your speed gets too high as well or was that fixed? I think it was something like 80 or 90+ speed could cause problems for the game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Final Fantasy VI.

You heard right about the PSX version, it's Bad. SNES version's got better music quality and I personally think a better translation, but it's not portable. GBA version obviously is, but the music quality's way lower and the new content is garbage. Either way it's a great game so no wrong choice here.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Does FFA6 break when your speed gets too high as well or was that fixed? I think it was something like 80 or 90+ speed could cause problems for the game.

Yes; the FF wikia page lists it as like 128, so y'know >110 is basically worthless and danger zone.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

Ahahahahahah Azure your title. :laffo:

I know, it's about as terrible as Final Fantasy VIII is.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dr Pepper posted:

Obviously do a Leonora solo :unsmigghh:

So guess who decided to actually do this?

First step, beat the first half of the final tale so I can actually get to Leonora.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

penguinmambo posted:

Have you played Guild Wars 2? The BRIGHT PINK hair color is labeled "light yellow".

Maybe Lightning is blonde and we don't know.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Azure_Horizon posted:

I know, it's about as terrible as Final Fantasy VIII is.

What did you say to get it, anyway?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Francois Kofko posted:

What did you say to get it, anyway?

Bothered to talk about why the Paradigm system is a good battle system in an echo chamber.

VVVV It's the correct way of putting it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's certainly one way of putting it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Elentor posted:

Have you played Guild Wars 2? The BRIGHT PINK hair color is labeled "light yellow".

Maybe Lightning is blonde and we don't know.

Pink is just considered blonde in anime land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

penguinmambo posted:

It was fairly muted and subtle for anime-hair.

Just one shade brighter than a really really light strawberry blonde: