Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I love when the leader leaves when ONE enemy is left for the round on a wave 3/6/9...it's such a great troll by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Last night I played a Gold game as a level 5 Justicar. I didn't do much really, because it was hard to synchronize with the other biotic in the group (a Slayer), and obviously I didn't have warp bubble yet, but we made full extraction anyway! I guess what I'm trying to say here is that pubbies are about as variable as the human race itself. Anything you can imagine can happen, and probably also a fair bit you can't.

Probably the funniest thing I've seen in recent memory is Pubbie [Missile Launcher] Husk with nothing else on the kill list. I didn't see the shot but I would have liked to.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Hyperactive posted:

Every Gold lobby was FBW Geth and no one would stay in my non-FBW Geth lobby, so I figured, gently caress it, let's do Silver just to play something. Sal Inf + Indra and it totally wrecks poo poo on Gold, so Silver is a no brainer.

I got kicked from the first lobby. Votes were slow to come in, so I asked, "Any reason for the kick votes?"

"Salarian Infiltrator is took weak for Silver."

Think I kinda dodged a bullet by getting kicked out of that one.

You see this? This is why I don't play this garbage anymore. One of the absolute best launch classes is too weak for silver? gently caress off already.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Probably the funniest thing I've seen in recent memory is Pubbie [Missile Launcher] Husk with nothing else on the kill list. I didn't see the shot but I would have liked to.

To be fair, thanks to the stupidest named ability, that could've been a Destroyer. Husks are really weak and don't dodge, after all.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Elotana posted:

Don't be in cover in the first place. Just ABC to restore the shield gate. Here's a FRAPS I cut demonstrating how you can stagger-tank Cerberus, on that Giant hack where Phantoms spawn literally figuratively up your rear end. (FRAPS also captured my shoutcast station :slick:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XexjmLnZUI

The Eagle is basically just for show.
This has made me realize I am bad at the Slayer :shepface:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Elotana posted:

Don't be in cover in the first place. Just ABC to restore the shield gate. Here's a FRAPS I cut demonstrating how you can stagger-tank Cerberus, on that Giant hack where Phantoms spawn literally figuratively up your rear end. (FRAPS also captured my shoutcast station :slick:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XexjmLnZUI

The Eagle is basically just for show.

Holy poo poo, that's impressive. Maybe the problem is just that I'm bad at Slayer. What's your build there?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
It's a pretty basic 6/6/6/4/4 build, bottom row for Charge and Phase, top row for Slash. I didn't use Slash much there but it shines on smaller maps and vs Geth.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Felinoid posted:

To be fair, thanks to the stupidest named ability, that could've been a Destroyer. Husks are really weak and don't dodge, after all.

I don't recall if there was a Destroyer in the round, although it's certainly possible. I have seen some pretty pointless expenditures of the missile launcher in other instances though, and I was watching those times so I know it was the Cobra.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Elotana posted:

Have you guys with matchmaking and disconnect issues tried forwarding ports 3659 and 6000 if you're behind a router? I sometimes get friends who can't join unless I redirect these and then they can. My Gold lobbies rarely take longer than a minute to fill up, and I can count on one hand the times I've been disconnected mid-match.
I have them forwarded and still get frequent disconnects.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, I must be crazy for preferring the Harrier to the Typhoon in basically every situation. On the Destroyer, my Harrier is just a loving laser and oh yeah it doesn't spend four years spinning up before it actually does some decent damage. I love it so much.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

thevoiceofdog posted:

Sure would be nice to see what those ex-cereberus classes were all about during the last DLC.
ex-Cerberus Adept boils down to flinging enemies everywhere all day, and Smashing things that can't be flinged around through walls.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 26, 2012

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

TheDK posted:

I have them forwarded and still get frequent disconnects.

Yeah, I set them to forward, same problem. I'm reinstalling ME3 now.

I never had problems before, and now suddenly I can't even play the singleplayer.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Amazingly I haven't been getting disconnected since the maintenance they did last month or so.

Played a Gold earlier with the most useless teammate ever, a Vorcha Soldier, who did nothing but get killed. I'm sure that class works in gold, but probably not against Geth. I think his overall score was around 20k.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
On the off chance that there are any PS3 players on, please send MosquitoJones a message. I'm really tired of W/G/G and I can't get into a decent plat match to save my life.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I almost wish someone did try to votekick me for playing a Level 1 Asari Vanguard earlier

"Oh look, I comfortably out did all of you with just a single point in Stasis. Because the Valiant is just that awesome".

Yeah I take back what I said about the Valiant earlier, it still owns. Playing a Lv1 is just about enough of a handicap that it isn't rude to use that gun on Silver.

Thankfully I didn't have any problems like that because PC pubs are always really chill.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I was actually once in a lobby with 2 other people between 40 and 80 who immediately kicked some ridiculous person with a 900+ rating. That was pretty cathartic.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

VJeff posted:

Man, I must be crazy for preferring the Harrier to the Typhoon in basically every situation. On the Destroyer, my Harrier is just a loving laser and oh yeah it doesn't spend four years spinning up before it actually does some decent damage. I love it so much.

No, I love the Harrier a lot too. I only use the Typhoon on classes designed to sit there and stand under fire and not care about it. Turians etc.

Harrier's burst damage is usually enough to kill an enemy or have your shields be pretty low by the time you have to reload; it's a pretty good rhythm of fire/reload in cover, recharge shields/fire again

e: phantoms grabbing me out of a charge to stab me is getting old

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 26, 2012

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

I don't recall if there was a Destroyer in the round, although it's certainly possible. I have seen some pretty pointless expenditures of the missile launcher in other instances though, and I was watching those times so I know it was the Cobra.

Today I shot a missle and completely missed everything :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Apart from getting disconnected every once in a while mid-match (not horribly often, just often enough to go "not this poo poo again"), my problem is that starting the game up is such a chore.
First I have to start up Origin, which for whatever reason takes a lot of time and often freezes my computer for a few seconds as it's firing up. Then the game starts up, and in the main menu it first takes its sweet time connecting to the servers, then totally halts for like half a minute as it's "checking downloadable content". Then I finally get to click on "Multiplayer" and enjoy the stupidly long load time. Sure I don't have the most powerful PC, but come the gently caress on.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Concerning the Harrier; when I finally got one I found that it was best to actually avoid taking it on "bullethose characters" and just treat it like a mattock that fires 2 or 3 shots per trigger pull, otherwise it's far too easy to empty the small magazine into empty space when your target twitches or turns around. It doesn't look like it ever really gets a large enough ammo capacity to overcome that problem anyway, so unless someone else has some contradictory experience with it then I think it's actually the first gun that's better on the Turian Sentinel over the Soldier.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Nordick posted:

Apart from getting disconnected every once in a while mid-match (not horribly often, just often enough to go "not this poo poo again"), my problem is that starting the game up is such a chore.
First I have to start up Origin, which for whatever reason takes a lot of time and often freezes my computer for a few seconds as it's firing up. Then the game starts up, and in the main menu it first takes its sweet time connecting to the servers, then totally halts for like half a minute as it's "checking downloadable content". Then I finally get to click on "Multiplayer" and enjoy the stupidly long load time. Sure I don't have the most powerful PC, but come the gently caress on.

The time it takes to initially connect to EA, check DLC, check again just for good measure, and then finally access multiplayer is pretty ridiculous. Accessing the store has an additional wait associated with it.

Took a couple-day break from this because I was getting dangerously upset about frequent disconnects. Decided to get on today to do the promotion thing, got the disconnect error before even entering a match on the multiplayer menu, and when I did join my first match I was disconnected during wave 8.

I'm not sure what the issue is here but support can't tell me anything, and I am at this point considering the multiplayer non-functional. I'm really bummed because I still read the thread and want to try/unlock all these cool things I am reading about and building load-outs on Narida.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I don't have any problems with disconnects. I have issues with people using the missile glitch. Gold, Platinum--I can't shake it, regardless of difficulty. If I see a scorpion or a striker in the pregame lobby, I gtfo.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I've had so many disconnects lately (any goon who's played with me recently will know) but since my internet connection is on the fritz I can't tell when it's EA's servers crapping out or a problem on my end.

I've reached my savings goal for the next DLC though, so everything's all good. :toot:

Even before my internet troubles, the time it took to boot the game up was ridiculous. Now I have to sit through 5+ loading screens multiple times as I try to reconnect to a game.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Felinoid posted:

:stare: Even on Platinum I'd welcome a SalInf that knew what he was doing. Energy Drain can keep you from going down at bad times since there's always plenty of Hunters and Phantoms and Banshees to pull from, and Prox mine in the clumps of big guys that develop is priceless. If you've ever seen a properly played GethInf on Platinum you probably know what I mean.

A lot of pubbie players are just insane. I've had the two best classes in the game (Krogan Vanguard and Salarian Infiltrator) both poo poo talked by people playing amazing classes like 'N7 Fury' and 'Quarian Female Engineer'

I just ignore anything said by another player in the game unless it's crazed ranting with a slavic accent which fortunately is very common.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is Rio considered a bad map or something? I've yet to actually have a bad game on it and it looks pretty awesome, but the one time when I switched the map to Rio a random said "one of the worst maps in the game" and left, followed by another random.

Granted, it was gold and I've never tried gold on it before, but even so that seemed weird. For me London is the worst map without a doubt, and Ghost kinda sucks too.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Hyperactive posted:

Every Gold lobby was FBW Geth and no one would stay in my non-FBW Geth lobby, so I figured, gently caress it, let's do Silver just to play something. Sal Inf + Indra and it totally wrecks poo poo on Gold, so Silver is a no brainer.

I got kicked from the first lobby. Votes were slow to come in, so I asked, "Any reason for the kick votes?"

"Salarian Infiltrator is took weak for Silver."

Think I kinda dodged a bullet by getting kicked out of that one.
Out of interest, what were they playing? Please say it was wall-to-wall human adepts.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

A lot of pubbie players are just insane. I've had the two best classes in the game (Krogan Vanguard and Salarian Infiltrator) both poo poo talked by people playing amazing classes like 'N7 Fury' and 'Quarian Female Engineer'
Fury is pretty drat good, man. Not a top-tier class (we should work out a class-list) but very much up there.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I loves me some Male Quarian Engineer. Anyone have any builds they like to share?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Out of interest, what were they playing? Please say it was wall-to-wall human adepts.
Two Krogan Sentinels and a Destroyer. I don't remember being particularly galled by their loadouts, and their meaningless N7 ranking was probably 200 - 300 range just like mine.

I have to assume this was Babies' Second Silver Game or something, because later I played Sal Inf Silver for the first time* and loooooooooool. It was cruise control + godmode.

*I didn't get around to trying Infiltrators as a whole until I was already doing Gold routinely 'cause I'm not a big sniper dude :shrug:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Is Rio considered a bad map or something?

Rio is the best of the 3 new maps but it was a crappy set of maps. It's a complete slaughterhouse if you try to bunker down in the middle. You're cover is bad and the enemies will come from both sides.

It's a really easy map if you hang out by the shipping crates. You have lots of ammo, grenades and cover and you can deal with poo poo without constantly getting shot in the back. Pubbies never do this so it has a bad reputation.

I played one game where I wound up running to the crates and soloing the round after everyone else wiped at least three times and they'd still run to the center at the start of every wave.

CowboyAndy posted:

I loves me some Male Quarian Engineer. Anyone have any builds they like to share?

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#24RLMID@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

Arc grenade + Incinerate = Tech Burst

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Tremors posted:

Skipping out on the rate of fire for devastator mode 5 seems kind of silly when there is gear you could use to have more bullets if you really need them.

None that increase the mag size, which is important if you're using the Pirhana, but like I said, it's discretionary.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Is Rio considered a bad map or something? I've yet to actually have a bad game on it and it looks pretty awesome, but the one time when I switched the map to Rio a random said "one of the worst maps in the game" and left, followed by another random.

Granted, it was gold and I've never tried gold on it before, but even so that seemed weird. For me London is the worst map without a doubt, and Ghost kinda sucks too.

Rio is particularly annoying when playing a vanguard class, as it has its own flavor of charge bug. It seems to stick you back in the middle of the map, and your client doesn't realize it until you combat roll. (This is at least my experience).

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I've never bugged out on Rio, either.

I'm starting to think I have a secret bugfixed version of the game they didn't give to anyone else.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

It's horrible if you play it the way it seems meant to be played. Start at up in the middle for a good view of approaching enemies, then pursue stragglers into their hideyholes in the box maze or the fenced-off area. The thing is, that's the best way to get yourself killed there. And pubbies, once they find a strategy, do not ever reevaluate it. Take White, for example. When farming, you'll always have that guy who sits outside and gets killed far too often. When not farming, everyone will set up around the shorter ladder near the landing pad. Then when they inevitably get killed for doing something stupid like that, they will not think for a second "hmm, maybe this isn't the best place to be", they'll instead think "if my teammates had been pulling their weight like I obviously was (probably not), this wouldn't have happened".

Or in short: Pubbies like sniping spots. Rio's obvious sniping spot is a death trap*. Therefore, pubbies dislike Rio.

*Unless you have someone who dedicates themselves to protecting their fool asses. Guess what I'm always doing on Rio?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Elotana posted:

I've never bugged out on Rio, either.

I'm starting to think I have a secret bugfixed version of the game they didn't give to anyone else.

The Rio crash doesn't happen to hosts. Anybody who isn't host will likely experience a CTD unless they're lucky.

I find Rio to be a complete slog, similar to Condor. Almost everything that sucks about Condor can be applied to Rio, except that Rio isn't as dark and has more generous ammo boxes if you stick to either ends of the map. God help you if you get a hack 4 objective on wave 10 Rio without an infiltrator on the team.

London is also a terrible map but after spending some time with it I don't think it's the worst. Unlike Rio or Condor, London is quite fast and intense - you'll know very soon whether or not you'll wipe. It has the shittiest hack circles by far, but they're survivable with a skilled team and some luck. If you're a sniper infiltrator you're going to have a ball as long as your team knows how to control spawns properly.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Hyperactive posted:

*I didn't get around to trying Infiltrators as a whole until I was already doing Gold routinely 'cause I'm not a big sniper dude :shrug:
Actually, can someone explain this to me? I'm a terrible infilitrator. It's my least played class and when I use it, I almost always score at the bottom of the table and feel like I'm not contributing. Apart from tac cloak to revive/do objectives, I just don't get it. I usually run SalInf with a claymore and the cloak + one shot flash damage is never enough to justify him for me.

I know inf is amazing, I just seem to have missed something important.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Just watch some youtubes of people using Gethfiltrator (Cloak -> Proxy -> Shoot) and do that. You don't have Hunter Mode so you won't do quite as much damage but E-Drain makes you a lot more survivable especially if you take Bonus Power.

Proxies give you a zillion % bonus damage so they're a pretty huge part of playing GI/SI if you haven't been using them before every shot.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 27, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Wait, the tac cloak damage bonus applies to powers too? I thought it was only weapons. That might explain a lot.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Wait, the tac cloak damage bonus applies to powers too? I thought it was only weapons. That might explain a lot.

Yes, but for proxy mine the more important part is the damage taken evolution.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Synonamess Botch posted:

Yes, but for proxy mine the more important part is the damage taken evolution.

Or to put it in math terms:
Cloak * Prox mine + Weapon * Cloak * Prox mine debuff = OH GOD MY SPLEEN EVERYTHING

This works whether or not you take bonus power as the Cloak buff lasts for a second after decloaking. Bonus power just gives you more time to line up the shot, or potentially fire off a single prox mine or Energy Drain somewhere and then go do your mine+shoot somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

It also applies to grenades, which count as powers when it comes to bonus damage, so if you're rocking either Quarian or the Human, it'll provide a hefty damage buff.

If you have a Wraith, I find that works much better on a Salarian Infiltrator than a Claymore. The extra shot is super handy if you whiff the first, it's more accurate, the lower weight lets you get a double Energy Drain or ED + Proxy Mine combo when cloaked if you take the Bonus Power, and the cloak damage bonus lasts enough to boost both shots. It also reloads way faster.

If you don't have a Wraith, an Eviscerator is a lightweight alternative that still does a decent punch. It's got similar properties to the Wraith, just an extra shot and slightly less damage. Talon's a great choice too.

Energy Drain works wonders for counteracting the no shield regen property of cloak, and ED + Proxy Mine makes a tech burst. Either power will stagger most mooks, making for easy headshots. You can also set up tech bursts by using Disruptor ammo + Energy Drain, but that combo's best used on Geth.

EDIT: Here's the build I use: Class Builder link

Also, a bonus fun Infiltrator class to run is to use a Reegar with AP ammo and piercing mod, goes well with an Adrenaline module. Cloak, zap, run like hell.

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 27, 2012

• Locked thread