Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

grover posted:

I've heard many a firefighter say how much they love getting a chance to do this:

The only problem with that oldie but goodie is that you need to have a leaky coupling inside on the hose going through the car.

I've actually been in that situation (needed a hydrant that a car was parken in front of) and ended up doing something responsible and boring.....winched it out of the way a few feet. I got crap from everyone on the scene that I missed our golden opportunity. Sometimes having a white helmet sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Motronic posted:

The only problem with that oldie but goodie is that you need to have a leaky coupling inside on the hose going through the car.

I've actually been in that situation (needed a hydrant that a car was parken in front of) and ended up doing something responsible and boring.....winched it out of the way a few feet. I got crap from everyone on the scene that I missed our golden opportunity. Sometimes having a white helmet sucks.

Fire chiefs ruin everyone's fun.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

grover posted:

I've heard many a firefighter say how much they love getting a chance to do this:

Hard to find a low-enough profile jack to work when a flat tire drops an already low profile car another few inches. Speaking of which, how do the hellaflush guys jack their cars up? Crowbar?

They drive up on 2x4s.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

nm posted:

They drive up on 2x4s.

My car isn't slammed and I have to do that for my "low profile" floor jack. However, the crappy scissor jack in the tire kit is only about 3 inches tall when totally retracted, so I'd never have a problem getting it under the jack points.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

They drive up on 2x4s.

I couldn't get a 2x4 under my car, I ended up making a long ramp out of plywood.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

grover posted:

I saw the aftermath of a car that had parked in front of an emergency lane at the wrong time. Firetrucks gave no fucks, drove right on and rammed the car out of the way. Unfortunately this was before the time of camera phones. The guy's insurance company most likely told him to get hosed too.

Don't get in the way of firemen's work.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Motronic posted:

Or percolating hose- thats good at totally soaking the interior of a vehicle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why would a fire department use a percolating hose?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Geirskogul posted:

Why would a fire department use a percolating hose?

In case the fire gets near it.

http://www.duralirrigation.com.au/onlinestore/index.cfm?NavigationID=668

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I have seen that used in high rise and commercial buildings in hose caddies and hose closets (which is probably why you link is for basically 1" and 1.5" hose).

In 20 years of doing this, I've never seen it on a truck or in use by a fire department. That's building protection kind of stuff, and would NEVER be used as LDH supply line (which is never near a fire anyway unless things have gone really, really sideways).

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Motronic posted:

I have seen that used in high rise and commercial buildings in hose caddies and hose closets (which is probably why you link is for basically 1" and 1.5" hose).

In 20 years of doing this, I've never seen it on a truck or in use by a fire department. That's building protection kind of stuff, and would NEVER be used as LDH supply line (which is never near a fire anyway unless things have gone really, really sideways).

Have you ever watched a cop in a regular cruiser try to cross your 5-inch LDH? It's really funny.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Motronic posted:

Generally its because our 64mm supply lines been overused and is weeping through the rubber coatings.

All our 25mm and 38mm is percolating because its more for bushfire than buildings and you spend a lot of time dragging hose across hot ground in bushfires.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So I knew my thermostat was bad when I dived into the timing belt/waterpump job on my E30, but I wasn't expecting this :staredog:

Well there is certainly a problem here.

:wtc: THERE'S A PIECE MISSING :ohdear:

I've never seen a thermostat failure quite like that before.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 26, 2012

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Replaced the brake master cylinder and I was about to start bleeding the system and this happened. :argh:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hammer a 3/4 inch socket onto it w/ a sledge. It's easy.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Cheap sockets work best since they're usually softer. Go to your friendly local run-down pawn shop and buy some out of the big bin of assorted sockets.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Haha or go to Autozone and look for any socket labeled 'Duralast'

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

I have a certain knack for compounding failures and simply didn’t want to gently caress with it. Ended up limping it down to the local Les Schwab on spongy rear end brakes and had their guys deal with it. Dude had a proper nut extractor and made short work of all four locks.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

revmoo posted:

Haha or go to Autozone and look for any socket labeled 'Duralast'

1 better, Harbor Freight. Pretty sure they make theirs out of compacted talcum powder. :v:

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
Two days of bad luck. Yesterday my girlfriends Focus had a battery death. A few days ago the brakes on my GTP started grinding. I dug into that to find....

poo poo.

The friction material made a brake for it (forgive me). Ruined the gently caress out of the rotor too. I gotta say that Autozone rocks. New rotors and pads gratis. Unfortunately I got home and it started raining like crazy. I gotta get this done so I can get to work tomorrow.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

That picture is a weird optical illusion when you scroll past it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fist of Freud posted:

Replaced the brake master cylinder and I was about to start bleeding the system and this happened. :argh:

Get to use this in two threads.

Solution: Vise-Grips

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
A couple of days ago I bought a 91 firefly for $200, it needed front brakes, ball joints and wheel bearings.
I took said car and put it on the back of my lovely old 75 ford fireball (E350) RV converted to a ghetto 18 foot flat deck (sill had the linoleum from the floors on the deck). Now this ford was a major piece of poo poo that has broken down more times then I can count.
Went out into butt gently caress nowhere and proceeded to poo poo kick the firefly into oblivion.
Here is some pictures and video:

Here's before the mayhem begins.

Here's the combo at the scrap yard later the next day, only got $360 for the whole thing including the flat deck :smith: .

Video 1:
The Beginning of the end
Video 2: After a few more buddy's showed up we got the great idea to roll the thing.
Rollover

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
You live on the North side of the Fraser, don't you?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Copied from the nasioc mechanic bitching thread:

That's all of 'em!

I hear fancy Italian valves have the same failure:

On a horrible design failure note:

I have an '02 Cadillac Deville. Under 70k miles, prior to me it was old-man driven, garaged, dealer maintained, clean, etc. I was cleaning some drain holes during a brake change and found one of the worst bits of straight stupid design that I've seen in a while:

That's inside the fender liner behind the front wheel. There's over a POUND of straight dirt/debris. Seems that GM put a 1/4"x1/2" drain hole at the bottom of the fender and for sound insulation put a curtain of heavy felt/insulation vertically along the A-pillar line at the door hings, so anything that goes down from the windshield header area has to go through that small drain hole. And that drain hole gets plugged. And this happens. Both sides were identical. That's on top of the rear spring perch design that does the exact same thing. Just lazy design.

After:

Bonus horrible mechanic failure -- as I was changing the front pads and rotors (previous owner paid over $500 for the same operation at the Cadillac dealer last August), I found the slide bolts on both calipers(calipers themselves, not the brackets) tightened so much that I needed a 24" breaker bar because hand wrench and air wrench wouldn't touch them. That explained why the rotors had a funny wear pattern.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nathan Explosion posted:

Two days of bad luck. Yesterday my girlfriends Focus had a battery death. A few days ago the brakes on my GTP started grinding. I dug into that to find....

poo poo.

The friction material made a brake for it (forgive me). Ruined the gently caress out of the rotor too. I gotta say that Autozone rocks. New rotors and pads gratis. Unfortunately I got home and it started raining like crazy. I gotta get this done so I can get to work tomorrow.

Despite their quality control being kinda grab bag the parts they sell with lifetime warranties are very haggle free. You don't have to jump through hoops to redeem it. Walk in with busted part, give phone number, leave with new part for free. The only thing they care about is that they have something to ship back. I once warrantied a set of pads for a dude that were literally fused to a ruined rotor/hub/caliper assembly. He had to buy a new rotor/hub/caliper assembly because they were still OEM but the pads were free.

:v:

I still kinda miss that job. The upselling retail aspect was never very fun but every day it was interesting. Project cars, jalopies, car guys, car imbeciles that wont let you help them because their girlfriend is watching, etc. Ok fine buddy, I'll watch you struggle with those wipers for 30 minutes in the rain while I point and laugh from a dry building. Hell on clothes though when you're slinging old dead batteries though. Go through polos at least every few days.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 27, 2012

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

DefaultPeanut posted:

You live on the North side of the Fraser, don't you?

Vancouver Island

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
This Buick Lucerne got dropped off via tow truck right as we were closing. The owner claims he swerved to avoid a rear-end collision with another vehicle and ended up hitting a concrete median about 6"-8" high at about 40 mph with the left front wheel.
I only had time for a few quick shots, I'll see if I can get a few more of the rest of the carnage tomorrow:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wow, that looked like a chipped hubcap at first glance...

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
So, mechanical failures doesn't necessarily mean "cars"?

Alright.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Exit Strategy posted:

So, mechanical failures doesn't necessarily mean "cars"?

Alright.

Oh, poo poo. AR-15?

Nobody hurt when that blew up, I hope.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Loaded a little hot there?

edit: that or they forgot that you can make the upper receiver out of cheese, but not the bolt.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Slim Pickens posted:

Loaded a little hot there?

edit: that or they forgot that you can make the upper receiver out of cheese, but not the bolt.

1) I got hurt. I got hurt quite a lot. Fortunately, the company who made the rifle admitted that they were heat-treating stainless steel bolts (WHY?!) and paid me for my trouble.

2) I was using bog-standard M855, for which the rifle was rated. Don't buy ATI.

e: For reference, if I hadn't been wearing impact-resistant glasses when that bolt went (and the upper it was in got shattered), I would have been picking lugs out of my brainpan. As it was, some of those lugs came out of my forearm instead.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Exit Strategy posted:

1) I got hurt. I got hurt quite a lot. Fortunately, the company who made the rifle admitted that they were heat-treating stainless steel bolts (WHY?!) and paid me for my trouble.

2) I was using bog-standard M855, for which the rifle was rated. Don't buy ATI.

e: For reference, if I hadn't been wearing impact-resistant glasses when that bolt went (and the upper it was in got shattered), I would have been picking lugs out of my brainpan. As it was, some of those lugs came out of my forearm instead.

wouldn't heat treating the bolts make them stronger? i don't understand the problem. too brittle?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Root Bear posted:

This Buick Lucerne got dropped off via tow truck right as we were closing.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/kVX8r.jpg?1[timg]

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/5NUtL.jpg?1[timg]

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/7zFhn.jpg?1[timg]

I let out a long "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh sheeeeeeeeeeit" when I got to the last picture. God drat that had to make a noise like a motherfucker. That poo poo let go hard.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Wiglaf posted:

wouldn't heat treating the bolts make them stronger? i don't understand the problem. too brittle?

Stainless is usually low carbon, so heat treating doesn't make it harder. Low-carbon steel is just high-carbon iron. Heat-treated iron tends to shard when struck. Bad combination with significant repetitive concussive force and heat.

Exit Strategy, sorry dude - that must have sucked a lot.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

sofullofhate posted:

Stainless is usually low carbon, so heat treating doesn't make it harder. Low-carbon steel is just high-carbon iron. Heat-treated iron tends to shard when struck. Bad combination with significant repetitive concussive force and heat.

Exit Strategy, sorry dude - that must have sucked a lot.

Exactly. Stainless steel bolt + heat treating + gas piston system = Exit Strategy hates piston ARs now.

They actually made good on it, paid for the doctor's visits, new glasses, and parts for me to build a new (better) rifle.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Exit Strategy posted:

Exactly. Stainless steel bolt + heat treating + gas piston system = Exit Strategy hates piston ARs now.

They actually made good on it, paid for the doctor's visits, new glasses, and parts for me to build a new (better) rifle.

You could sued them so hard that you owned the company.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

n8r posted:

You could sued them so hard that you owned the company.

Who wants to own a company with that kind of liability in the field? gently caress that noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Strip the assets and sell everything?