Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ugh, I hate that Joe Pos wrote the book that way if it's really the way it's being presented. Obviously he didn't know what he was getting himself into, but I expected better of him. He's probably still my favorite sportswriter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
For his penance Joe Posnanski should write a book about Dick Allen.

Him or Jane Leavy.

Someone needs to save Dick Allen's reputation because so many loving journalists hate him and it's very upsetting.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/color_of_money_b8aBxH641G1ecMlrYFiIfJ

Phil Mushnick posted:

As the streets continue to fill with blood, the sports world eagerly pursues its cut. Sports. What a sad joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G1h_5T1PU8

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Did the Post install a special tall desk for Mushnik so he never has to get off of his high horse?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jesus, did this guy just walk out of a time machine from 1955? Let me grab my decoder ring:

Phil Mushnick posted:

Nike, sports teams, star athletes market menacing apparel to menacing niggers. Have they no shame?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Isn't that basically the same column Mushnick wrote when the new Brooklyn Nets stuff came out?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Why didn't Cory Lidle crash his plane into the Post?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

ElwoodCuse posted:

Isn't that basically the same column Mushnick wrote when the new Brooklyn Nets stuff came out?

Basically. His column needs to be put out to pasture.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

How can anyone take a person named Mushnick seriously? It sounds like a word my grandparents would use to disparage a deadbeat relative (Ira's son? Feh, what a mushnick).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Sports on Earth launched today, and it has some relatively big names behind it. That design is pretty ugly, though.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Used to be I would be drawn to a project with Posnanski's name on it :\

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm sure they'll iron out the kinks, but again, a lot of the site just looks kind of slapdash:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
"We want to do something creative with the head shots. Make 'em really stand out. Can you do that, Josh?"
"Sure thing." *presses Live Trace in Illustrator*

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Was the goal to make them look as much like the player portraits in Tecmo Super Bowl III as possible?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Even beyond the portraits, having "KNAPP MORE FROM KNAPP POWELL MORE FROM POWELL" is just a waste of space. It looks like placeholder copy.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
It looks like they bought a pre-made template.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

KEANU REEVES
MORE FROM REEVES

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
What, was there not enough space for their first names?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm halfway through Paterno. It's not that it's bad because it portrays Paterno in the same glorified air that he had a couple years ago, but it's just a bad book. There appears to be no narrative at all with it. I keep waiting for things to tie into the bigger picture, to go down a path. But it's a mishmash of stories and anecdotes by people you could get in any fluff piece. There isn't a lot of investigating being done by the author. For instance, there's a bunch of stories about people he touched, but he never interviews or talks to those people. Just sort of takes everyone's word for it.

It's also really lovely historically. Now I'm not a college football expert, but I know a lot of the smoke he's blowing about the 70's and early 80's is simply not true. It's like he just asked some people with a vested interest in a story about it and didn't do any research on his own to confirm.

I'll finish it up this week. I know people are saying he was in a tough spot and it's tough to go back and change things. But even if none of it happened, it's a terrible biography. And this from someone who can get into a biography on just about anyone.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Pos doesn't really write full biographies, he writes biographical narrative stories, usually very well. He wasn't the right guy to try and do the definitive Joe Paterno life story, even before all this had happened, and I wonder if he even intended to.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

gendo posted:

It looks like they bought a pre-made template.

According to this:
http://builtwith.com/sportsonearth.com

It might be boostrap.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

jeffersonlives posted:

Pos doesn't really write full biographies, he writes biographical narrative stories, usually very well. He wasn't the right guy to try and do the definitive Joe Paterno life story, even before all this had happened, and I wonder if he even intended to.

He absolutely did not. What he has now published is a complete 180 from what he set out to write.

I'm not going to buy or read the book because I'm not sure what I'll gain from it.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Just so we're clear, do people think Mushnick is completely off-base or just partially right and taking his argument too far?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ace Jameson posted:

Just so we're clear, do people think Mushnick is completely off-base or just partially right and taking his argument too far?

He's completely off base. He basically says that that by marketing expensive jerseys and caps to an "urban" demographic, they're responsible for promoting "gangster culture" and that the wearer of a $300 pair of shoes is actually in danger in the wrong areas. I think both of these assertions are pretty ridiculous. Let me know when Nike is selling team branded guns, and maybe then I'll be outraged.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Here's a transcript of TJ Simers picking up where the Boston sports media left off with Josh Beckett.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/28/josh-beckett-engages-in-odd-exchange-with-reporter-following-loss/

Why in the gently caress do sportswriters think they're entitled to friendly, courteous answers from athletes even when they deliberately try to piss them off?

Benicio
Mar 21, 2004

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay
Early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose

hcreight posted:

Here's a transcript of TJ Simers picking up where the Boston sports media left off with Josh Beckett.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/28/josh-beckett-engages-in-odd-exchange-with-reporter-following-loss/

Why in the gently caress do sportswriters think they're entitled to friendly, courteous answers from athletes even when they deliberately try to piss them off?

I guess trying to provoke a response is a type of journalism, but TJ Simers is such an idiot.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

hcreight posted:

It's the same sense entitlement that allows me, once I have purchased a ticket to a live sporting event, to yell racial/homophobic slurs at players and/or throw things at them!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

hcreight posted:

God that's terrible. It's like he was trying to get a Brett Myers "Boom; outta here" exchange only the interviewer is clearly baiting the poo poo out of the athlete and just being a real prick.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

hcreight posted:

Sportswriters are looking for something to yell about, so if they can't provoke an actually controversial remark they need to invent a problem.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

hcreight posted:

Was Simers the guy who wrote a really lovely column about Marcus Thames or somebody where he just threw in couple gratuitous insults about his last name?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Bizob posted:

Was Simers the guy who wrote a really lovely column about Marcus Thames or somebody where he just threw in couple gratuitous insults about his last name?

I think so but he also told ESPN to go to hell over some issue I can't recall and that's why he's not on TV anymore.

e: found your article http://bottom-of-the-barrel.blogspot.com/2012/03/tj-simers-decides-to-attack-his.html

Rousimar Pauladeen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 28, 2012

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Deadspin is trying to crowdsource funding to buy a picture of Ryan Lochte's penis.
http://deadspin.com/5938560/how-much-would-you-pay-to-see-a-photo-of-ryan-lochtes-alleged-penis

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Bizob posted:

You bet he is.

quote:

Now you would think anyone ranked 27th in baseball history in anything would be a household name, but in his own clubhouse no one seems quite sure how to pronounce his name.

The Dodgers, while gushing about his stats, instructed everyone in their propaganda to call him "Tims," while Tims tells everyone else his name is pronounced "Tems."

I just know this: It's hard to believe such a monster with the bat would be available as a free agent and so cheaply the Dodgers could afford to sign him.

It can't be long before Frank McCourt starts selling tickets to Thameswood.

So I thought I might talk to Tims/Tems on Monday. Ordinarily I don't like to start off a week talking to stiffs, but that leaves so few Dodgers to interview these days.

He continues to refer to Thames as "Tims/Tems" throughout this garbage pile of an article. It's irritating that the LA Times continues to cut a paycheck for two of the biggest morons in sportswriting today (the other being Bill "Dramatic Chipmunk" Plaschke}.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Ugh, what an rear end in a top hat.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Groucho Marxist posted:

Deadspin is trying to crowdsource funding to buy a picture of Ryan Lochte's penis.
http://deadspin.com/5938560/how-much-would-you-pay-to-see-a-photo-of-ryan-lochtes-alleged-penis

Ryan Lochte's alleged penis, you mean.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

"I have literally never heard of a body of water with the same spelling and pronunciation as this petulant non-star of a dilettante."

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

FairGame posted:

"I have literally never heard of a body of water with the same spelling and pronunciation as this petulant non-star of a dilettante."

I'm positive that Simers thinks it's pronounced "tames".

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

SporkOfTruth posted:

He continues to refer to Thames as "Tims/Tems" throughout this garbage pile of an article. It's irritating that the LA Times continues to cut a paycheck for two of the biggest morons in sportswriting today (the other being Bill "Dramatic Chipmunk" Plaschke}.

Hurts my brain that Plaschke is still a featured guy after his horrible personal attacks on Lindsey Vonn who is pretty much the greatest (woman) downhill skier ever.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Mornacale posted:

I'm positive that Simers thinks it's pronounced "tames".
forget that, he probably pronounces the H too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Speaking of Brett Myers, someone really ought to ask him if he still beats his wife after every blown save.