Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do have SetPoint installed, but it's literally only so that I can change the colors of the LEDs on my G9 when I get bored with them. Actually, now that I think about it, I might be able to just install a whole bunch of identical profiles with different color codes directly to the mouse and then uninstall SetPoint entirely. Hmm.

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I haven't noticed any freezes or lag spikes or anything like that with my G9. In fact, I would probably say it's been the most reliable mouse I've ever owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Confounding Factor posted:

For all the Logitech users, do you have SetPoint installed? I'm a little nervous installing it for my G700 since it gave my old G9x alot of issues such as freezing my mouse for short burts (a few seconds). I want to play around with the DPI settings than what's already set on the deafult profiles. Just want to hear from your guys' experience.

I've never had any issues with setpoint over the years and would absolutely install it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VideoTapir posted:

I've lived in really dusty environments, usually with my computer next to an open window more or less all year, and had the wheel get gunked up. (As do all the heat sinks and fans, which also require frequent cleaning.) Also, the mechanical switch for cheap mouse wheels itself will wear out (dust probably isn't helping there either). The wheel has been the point of failure for every mouse I've replaced ever. And it's my girlfriend's brother that's the disgusting goon (who keeps stealing my mice).

I figure if there's a mouse wheel that works similarly to the axes for old ball mice, with a disc full of holes and an optical sensor, without any mechanical contact involved in sensing the motion, it should more or less last forever. I'm going to guess that's how at least some clickless mouse wheels people are describing work, as I suspect it would be the cheapest way to do it.

If there's anything else that just will not break, I'm open to that, too.

How cheap is cheap? What kinds of mice are the ones that you see failing regularly in your environment? Like unbranded dealextreme stuff? OEM mice? Or like low-end basic mice from reputable makers like Microsoft or Logitech?

Because dust honestly shouldn't gum up a mouse wheel ever. The only issue I would imagine is if you're eating cheetos and ice cream sandwiches 24/7 and never washing your hands.

The system you're describing, an optical encoder wheel, is the system on most Logitech and Microsoft mice, I think. Others (Razer, Steelseries I think) more frequently use some sort of mechanical system where the wheel clicks actuate push buttons. Of course, this varies between models within the brand and also over time.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

For all the Logitech users, do you have SetPoint installed? I'm a little nervous installing it for my G700 since it gave my old G9x alot of issues such as freezing my mouse for short burts (a few seconds). I want to play around with the DPI settings than what's already set on the deafult profiles. Just want to hear from your guys' experience.

I've never had a problem with SetPoint other than the fact that the program detection sucks with the few games I play :argh:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BGrifter posted:

If you buy a Logitech mouse and it breaks in the first three years of ownership they'll send you a shipping label to send back the old one and a brand new replacement. Just got a new Performance Mouse MX after two years of use when the old one developed odd double clicking behavior.

I'm in China, and gently caress knows where I'll be after that. And as I've found out with my hard drive I bought in Japan, warranties often have regions.

A warranty isn't a substitute for reliability.

Cream_Filling posted:

How cheap is cheap? What kinds of mice are the ones that you see failing regularly in your environment? Like unbranded dealextreme stuff? OEM mice? Or like low-end basic mice from reputable makers like Microsoft or Logitech?

I had one cheap (part of a wireless keyboard/mouse pair, IIRC ~30 bucks together) Logitech wear out or get gunked up, but I couldn't open it without breaking it to be sure which.

I've had the wheel switches get worn out rapidly on a low end Lenovo branded mouse and an Asus branded mouse. And there have been 3 or 4 no-name mice.

Oh, and I forgot about the mouse I wore out the left button on playing TF2 before they changed the pistols to autofire, but that doesn't matter much here.

quote:

Because dust honestly shouldn't gum up a mouse wheel ever. The only issue I would imagine is if you're eating cheetos and ice cream sandwiches 24/7 and never washing your hands.

You're wrong. And it doesn't take much. It isn't the wheel getting gummed up, as the wheel itself doesn't actually interact with anything other than your finger. Something gets into the switch or whatever else it uses, if you can't knock it out or blow it out, you've got to open it up.

I will add that I have found a lot of iron in the dust around my dad's house in Northern AZ, that might have been making things worse.

quote:

The system you're describing, an optical encoder wheel, is the system on most Logitech and Microsoft mice, I think. Others (Razer, Steelseries I think) more frequently use some sort of mechanical system where the wheel clicks actuate push buttons. Of course, this varies between models within the brand and also over time.

Thank you for giving me the proper term for it...it's difficult to search for this item without it.

The wheel click pushing buttons has been a point of failure for me. I expect the mechanical switch on a 100 dollar Razer is probably less flimsy than on a 6 dollar Lenovo POS, but I'd rather avoid it altogether.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 23, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VideoTapir posted:

I'm in China, and gently caress knows where I'll be after that. And as I've found out with my hard drive I bought in Japan, warranties often have regions.

A warranty isn't a substitute for reliability.

Well, I know most Logitech and Microsoft mice use optical instead of mechanical encoders like the ones you're complaining about. Both companies use good-quality components and their designs have been around for ever and ever, which means there's been plenty of time to see what breaks and to design stuff to last. A good warranty helps engineers to gather this feedback and also gives manufacturers incentives to make sure mice will last a long time.

The Logitech G400 is beloved by many, and the design itself has survived through 3-4 redesigns basically unchanged. It's not cheap, but it's very, very solid. I don't remember if the switches in their gaming mice are different from the ones in their regular mice, though, so maybe someone else can help me with this part. I don't think they are, but I'm getting my info mixed up too.

My friend bought the Logitech wireless couch mouse and seems to like it. It has a sealed wipe-clean sensor so lint won't get in if you use it on a couch or carpet or something, and Logitech's freewheeling mouse wheel. The freewheeling design hasn't been around as long as their others, so long-term it might be better or worse. Hard to say. At the very least it's metal and the fast-spin flywheel function might help fling out some of the crud in the axle or something (though this is pure speculation). You could probably get away with using some pure alcohol or something to clean them, maybe.

Otherwise, dunno, try out one of those touch mice and see how you like it.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 23, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Since your concerned, if the G700's like the G9, you could install SetPoint, save your settings to a profile loaded on the mouse's memory, then uninstall SetPoint. Your settings will be saved, and will work with the mouse on any computer. I used my G9 for a year without SetPoint installed this way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

The freewheeling design hasn't been around as long as their others, so long-term it might be better or worse. Hard to say. At the very least it's metal and the fast-spin flywheel function might help fling out some of the crud in the axle or something (though this is pure speculation).

I don't know about flinging dirt out, but the wheel itself is very solid and I believe the bearings are inherently better than on the non-freewheeling versions (they have to be) so it seems possible that they would last longer.

I like them, anyway.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Dominoes posted:

Since your concerned, if the G700's like the G9, you could install SetPoint, save your settings to a profile loaded on the mouse's memory, then uninstall SetPoint. Your settings will be saved, and will work with the mouse on any computer. I used my G9 for a year without SetPoint installed this way.

This is what I do when using a logitech mouse on a mac, set it up on a PC first since there is no mac setpoint.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know anything about mice so this might not even be the best thread to ask, but I'm looking for a wireless bluelight tracking mouse (does only Microsoft make these?) that the scroll wheel makes little clicks when turning instead of being completely smooth, since the Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 I have doesn't and it's really annoying trying to play games where you change weapons that way.

Prefer 5 buttons (or more) with the 4th and 5th on each side of the mouse, don't really care about cost, but bluelight is important since I'm using a recliner arm as a mousepad and previous optical mice were terrible at picking up movement.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

298298 posted:

bluelight is important since I'm using a recliner arm as a mousepad and previous optical mice were terrible at picking up movement.

Try the Logitech Couch Mouse. Logitech has always had clicky scroll wheels, and that mouse is designed for use on soft or flexible surfaces.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sagebrush posted:

Try the Logitech Couch Mouse. Logitech has always had clicky scroll wheels, and that mouse is designed for use on soft or flexible surfaces.

That seems to have 3 buttons (excluding scroll button and one on top for some reason), do you happen to know if the Logitech Anywhere Mouse (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/anywhere-mouse-mx) uses the same thing?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It does not. The dark-field tracking that the Anywhere Mouse uses is a two-part system -- a standard laser sensor that is mostly identical to that in Logitech's midrange and gaming mice, and a secondary laser system that literally operates as a dark-field microscope to image tiny specks of dust or miniscule blobs of skin oil on the mousing surface. That's why it is able to track on glass and mirrors; basically the only thing it can't get a picture on is a piece of clean-room-grade optical glass. If the mouse won't track on a glass table, the company's recommendation is "wipe your hand across the surface first to put some dust and oil on it". Neat, eh?

Anyway, the mouse switches between the two systems on the fly depending on which one is getting a better image. It is one of the most robust tracking systems out there, but it's not *specifically* designed for use on soft surfaces like the Couch Mouse presumably is. It won't be any worse than any other Logitech laser mouse, though, and my G9 and MX Revolution both work well on fabric.

e: your original question was about scroll wheels, though, and the one on the Anywhere Mouse is funky. It has the hyper-scroll thing, so you can put it in either free-spinning or clicky mode. However: unlike most of the other Logitech mice, where there's a separate button to change the scrolling mode, the Anywhere changes modes on the wheel itself. So the middle-click is kind of a two-part thing, where you press it lightly for the normal click, and press it deeply and it makes a more solid "chunk" and toggles between the two wheel modes. It also tilts side to side. The end result is that the wheel feels...I wouldn't call it "flimsy", but it's definitely more free to move around in various axes than the wheels on other mice. I personally don't find this to be a problem, but you might if you're a leet gamer or something.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 25, 2012

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

I got the Microsoft Ergo 4000 keyboard a while back, which I'm pretty impressed with - it's done wonders for my wrist pains. The Microsoft Natural 6000 is its partner, but it looks pretty tiny. Has anyone had any experience with it, or can anyone recommend a similarly slanted mouse that isn't a $100 Evoluent?

(though I might end up with the Evoluent if I can't find anything else. Can't put a price on my tendons)

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

However: unlike most of the other Logitech mice, where there's a separate button to change the scrolling mode, the Anywhere changes modes on the wheel itself. So the middle-click is kind of a two-part thing, where you press it lightly for the normal click, and press it deeply and it makes a more solid "chunk" and toggles between the two wheel modes.

No, the middle click is the separate small rectangular button below the wheel. You can tilt the wheel to scroll side to side (or map tilt to "middle click"), but pressing it down doesn't do anything except toggle it between free-spinning and ratcheted modes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sam Hall posted:

No, the middle click is the separate small rectangular button below the wheel. You can tilt the wheel to scroll side to side (or map tilt to "middle click"), but pressing it down doesn't do anything except toggle it between free-spinning and ratcheted modes.

You're right; it was late last night and I was confusing it with how the MX Revolution could be configured (I don't own an Anywhere mouse -- have only used the one that belongs to my co-worker). On his, it sure does feel like there's a second detent in the scroll wheel click, though.

The middle button I'm pretty sure defaults to "application switcher" functionality, but yeah it can be mapped to anything you like.

Incidentally, anyone who has a Logitech mouse and wants to customize it -- I highly recommend UberOptions. If you're on a Mac, try USB Overdrive

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?
A while back I picked up my brother's old RAT 7 and installed all the drivers and software. It's been running great and I've been loving the poo poo out of it.

Then this morning, out of nowhere, it could not be recognized by windows. I plugged it into every USB port on the computer, and every time the lights on the mouse flash on for an instant while Windows gives my a "USB Device could not be recognized" notification. Examining the device manager shows the mouse as an Unknown Device and it tells me that "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I tried reinstalling the Cyborg drivers, but they do this thing where it waits for me to plug in the mouse before I can continue with the installation. Because windows wont detect the mouse, it wont let me continue.

When I go to remove the RAT 7 software and drivers entirely, I can't find any way to uninstall or otherwise get rid of it.

Strange thing is, the mouse works just fine on other computers.

I'm at a total loving loss here, and I don't want to go back to using my crusty old G500 which only works on a magazine cover.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sam Hall posted:

So you have to set it between click and freespin? I got to play with a client's MX Revolution once and the "clutch" on it was amazing. I was planning on getting a G700 at some point soonish, but if it doesn't have the same wheel action I dunno.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As far as I know, the automatic clutch was a one-off that only existed in the MX Revolution. All subsequent hyperscroll mice have had a mechanical toggle switch somewhere on the mouse (most frequently just behind the wheel) to switch modes.

It was really cool to have that feature -- lots of fun alt-tabbing between programs that you had set up for alternate modes and hearing the mouse go "kachunk" as it switched over -- but that thing was $130 new, and the electromechanical hardware probably took up a fair bit of space inside. So, alas, you're out of luck

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hmph. It's not a dealbreaker I suppose, but it is disappointing.

I'm not really in dire need of a mouse anyway, so I'll probably just ask for it for my birthday.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

On the plus side, with the manual switch you don't have to set up the drivers to remember the right mode for each application. Also sometimes you need to switch between freewheel and clicky within the same program (eg. the former for long pages, the latter for single-items lists).

That's with the switch button being right behind the wheel, though; having it on the bottom was annoying.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NihilCredo posted:

On the plus side, with the manual switch you don't have to set up the drivers to remember the right mode for each application. Also sometimes you need to switch between freewheel and clicky within the same program (eg. the former for long pages, the latter for single-items lists).

That's with the switch button being right behind the wheel, though; having it on the bottom was annoying.

Well on the MX Revolution, it clicks until you really start spinning the wheel, then the clutch loosens until it's just spinning freely, so the "multiple modes on one page" issue was a non-starter.

I actually will probably just keep it in detent mode all the time, but the way the thing worked was just really cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, with the MX Revolution you had the option of setting any of the buttons to act as a scroll-mode toggle. By default I think that's how a middle-click was set up, but you could use any of the 9(?) buttons or button-like features. The little secondary joystick thing on the side was pretty cool, too.

Alas, MX Revolution, we hardly knew ye. Glad I bought one when I had the chance.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=mx+revolution&_sacat=0

e: no, 13 functions. left click, right click, wheel click, "app switcher" button behind the wheel, back button, forward button, sidewheel forward, sidewheel click, sidewheel back, wheel tilt left, wheel tilt right, and of course scroll up and scroll down.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 26, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

As far as I know, the automatic clutch was a one-off that only existed in the MX Revolution. All subsequent hyperscroll mice have had a mechanical toggle switch somewhere on the mouse (most frequently just behind the wheel) to switch modes.

It was really cool to have that feature -- lots of fun alt-tabbing between programs that you had set up for alternate modes and hearing the mouse go "kachunk" as it switched over -- but that thing was $130 new, and the electromechanical hardware probably took up a fair bit of space inside. So, alas, you're out of luck
Oh well. It and the G9 came out at the same timish/price point, but I ended up switching form the revolution to the G9 due to the drat wireless lag. (Granted, it lagged less than the MX1000 and MX700I used before it) I miss that scroll wheel.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010
Does anyone know if the steelseries sensei is a good mouse/ worth the price? I tried it at MLG and it felt really nice but I think I'm just trying to find reasons to justify an impulse buy oh god please help me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

spootime posted:

Does anyone know if the steelseries sensei is a good mouse/ worth the price? I tried it at MLG and it felt really nice but I think I'm just trying to find reasons to justify an impulse buy oh god please help me.

A lot of people rave about it, personally I found it a little too flat and symmetrical, which made it harder to get a good grip on it. (Palm style). Also the side buttons were very light weight and would activate practically just from staring at them too hard. I lost track of how many times I was surfing the net and hit the 'back' side button by mistake. I only had it for a couple of days though since it had a defective left click button and I took it back to the store and swapped it for a deathadder.

If you do get one though get the raw, it cuts out useless bling and gives you a nicer rubberised surface.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Can we talk about mouse problems itt too? I didnt see any other kind of thread relating to mouses so

I have a razer diamondback 3G and when the drivers are uninstalled I can click down on the mousewheel and do the smooth/fast scrolling, when I install the drivers, and turn on Universal Scrolling which Im pretty sure is what it's called, it doesn't work?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Sagebrush posted:

Well, with the MX Revolution you had the option of setting any of the buttons to act as a scroll-mode toggle. By default I think that's how a middle-click was set up, but you could use any of the 9(?) buttons or button-like features. The little secondary joystick thing on the side was pretty cool, too.

Alas, MX Revolution, we hardly knew ye. Glad I bought one when I had the chance.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=mx+revolution&_sacat=0

e: no, 13 functions. left click, right click, wheel click, "app switcher" button behind the wheel, back button, forward button, sidewheel forward, sidewheel click, sidewheel back, wheel tilt left, wheel tilt right, and of course scroll up and scroll down.
Speaking of that, I think my MX Revolution is on it's last legs. Or it's gotten to the point where the double left-click is happening too often is driving me insane, so I need a new mouse. And getting it to charge on its cradle sometimes takes 10 minutes of moving it around onto the right angle. Except I've probably used this for five whole years, so what do I move on to next?

I'm not entirely sure if my hand is willing to even conform to the MX518/G400 shape after this long. On a serious note though, are there any similarly shaped mice like the Revolution, besides the MX Performance? The G700 seems like a bit much but is actually wireless (dunno how I'll handle a wired mouse anymore) but then again I don't really even use all my buttons on my Revolution when gaming.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Sober posted:

Speaking of that, I think my MX Revolution is on it's last legs. Or it's gotten to the point where the double left-click is happening too often is driving me insane, so I need a new mouse. And getting it to charge on its cradle sometimes takes 10 minutes of moving it around onto the right angle. Except I've probably used this for five whole years, so what do I move on to next?

I'm not entirely sure if my hand is willing to even conform to the MX518/G400 shape after this long. On a serious note though, are there any similarly shaped mice like the Revolution, besides the MX Performance? The G700 seems like a bit much but is actually wireless (dunno how I'll handle a wired mouse anymore) but then again I don't really even use all my buttons on my Revolution when gaming.

Performance MX is basically the heir to the Revolution. Is there something about it you don't like?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

NihilCredo posted:

Performance MX is basically the heir to the Revolution. Is there something about it you don't like?
Not sure. Maybe I should give it a chance. Kinda peeved it doesn't have a thumb wheel but I really only use it for volume control and the only solution is to buy another Revolution or buy the Keyboard combo.

Did Logitech move away from using Lithium batteries or whatnot? Guess I need to invest in eneloops then.

Also, that and the G700 are about the same price point.
edit: actually the g700 is cheaper on amazon canada right now

Sober fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 5, 2012

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I picked up a Performance MX, and have been pretty happy with it. It's powered by a standard AA battery (Logitech actually includes a GP Recyko, which are better rated than Eneloops), which beats having to find replacement batteries on eBay. That said, the Recyko battery seems to last only 3 or so days per charge - I've plopped in an alkaline and it's still showing a full bar about 2 weeks in. Of course, the great thing about it is that you can just plug in the cord and charge while you use it - logitech also includes a wall socket - usb adaptor for charging.

I had originally planned on keeping my MX518 around for gaming, but there's no noticeable lag or tracking problems with the Performance. The biggest downside for me would probably be the finnicky middle click - it's almost impossible, since you either end up scrolling left or scrolling up/down. I've rebound middle click to the zoom button to take care of that.

I have a bunch of mouse gestures set up on my Macbook air, and had originally been looking to recreate that with a magic trackpad on my windows desktop, but the Performance does the job fine. I have scroll left bound to previous tab, scroll right to next tab, and the thumb app switch button to close tab.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Sober posted:

Not sure. Maybe I should give it a chance. Kinda peeved it doesn't have a thumb wheel but I really only use it for volume control and the only solution is to buy another Revolution or buy the Keyboard combo.
What I did with the G500 was to have an Autohotkey script so that holding down the third thumb button turns the scroll wheel into a volume wheel. (And tapping the button does Play/Pause.) It works amazingly well, although it's a little annoying to set up - I had to bind the thumb to the virtual F13 key so it wouldn't interfere with other stuff. Still, I can walk you through the steps if you need to.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Didn't want to make a new thread so I'll ask here.

I'm on my second mouse with a hosed up wheel. I get a new mouse, it works fine for a couple months, then the wheel starts double scrolling. It's spotless and gets regular use at worse.
The first was a Logitech G500. Now I'm using a Corsair M60.

Any ideas what's going on?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah, you're either unlucky or have corrosive finger grease. Connect it to a different computer: if it still has the problem then it's a hardware issue, if not it means you screwed up the drivers somehow.

In the former case, shoot Logitech an email to get a replacement for that G500. Or if you still have it and the receipt, and bought it at a physical store, get it replaced there.

Justin Sane
Aug 15, 2012
I just bought the Logitech darkfield "anywhere mx". I love it. Little small for my hand, but it's for my laptop so it's easier to carry around. Works great on polished granite, which is where i use it at work and home.

Is it possible to sync one keyboard with two computers that each have the Logitech USB reciever?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Does anyone have first hand experiences with the Razer Synape 2.0 drivers that they are being shoved on all their products? I am getting a Razer Taipan, but i am getting vary reports on the drivers causing mouse lag due to server syncing, not being able to get mouse settings if you are not connected to the internet, and being booted from games due to the driver updates auto installing.

I am not sure if I want to use the mouse now if the Synape 2.0 drivers are such a bag of crap and send it back to Amazon.

thepartyrobot
Oct 18, 2009
They work fairly well, though they seem to conflict a bit with Mumble. I had to close Synapse to install Mumble, and if Synapse is running when I start Mumble, there's a few seconds where my mouse becomes INCREDIBLY slow, like slower than 100 dpi.

Other than that one issue, they work as advertised, at least for me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

My Razer Mamba 2012 (which I rather like the shape of, because I have big hands) just broke, so now I'm trying to browse the web for a new mouse with adjustable DPI but there seems to be an absolute flood of those so I wanna know if there are any recommendations to be had, of a new-ish variety.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 10, 2012

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Does anyone have a recommendation for a bluetooth mouse to use on my Macbook? I normally buy Microsoft but it looks like they only have one that uses bluetooth and I don't want some sort of stumpy travel mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Does anyone have first hand experiences with the Razer Synape 2.0 drivers that they are being shoved on all their products? I am getting a Razer Taipan, but i am getting vary reports on the drivers causing mouse lag due to server syncing, not being able to get mouse settings if you are not connected to the internet, and being booted from games due to the driver updates auto installing.

I am not sure if I want to use the mouse now if the Synape 2.0 drivers are such a bag of crap and send it back to Amazon.

They fixed the auto install issues a while ago -- the drivers now properly ask before rebooting your computer. They seem to issue updates every... month or so? Often enough to be annoying, but they've slowed down a bit recently.

I see the mouse lag during boot sometimes, but it only lasts for a couple seconds. I've never had a problem tracking during normal use or gaming. I've never noticed an issue with profiles, but I pretty much use all defaults anyway so I'm not sure I would notice anything.