Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have some magic spear which is a miracle and some other thing. You're saying I need a magic equip thing and the only way I can equip that spell it is at a bonfire?

I've never played this game before so Idk what the hell I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I was making my way through the New Londo Ruins, dying all the time and being generally on edge. After well over a dozen deaths I was slashing at everything I saw. I spotted Ingward on top of the church looking thing and assumed he was an enemy, so I murdered him in a quick combo on accident. I looked it up and found out he is the only way to remove curses. Did I just gently caress myself?

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Just got the game. Liking it so far but I really hate the camera controls. Is there a way to prevent auto-target from zipping all over the place when fighting multiple enemies? Every time I move the mouse one pixel it jumps to the next enemy.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Holy poo poo. I finally had time to start playing properly today and I can already see this will be at least as good as Demon's Souls.

I was feeling all smug because, in the Undead Burg, I had defeated the big guy guarding the Blue Tearstone Ring, so when I used the Master Key and found that huge set of stairs, I thought: "heh, another good item for me :smug:", and suddenly that huge motherfucker instantly aggroes and the whole time I was racing up with my heart pumping as I heard he coming closer.

:darksouls:, really.

A question: what do you guys think would be best for a first time player as a Pyro: focusing on Strength or Dex?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Edit: ^^ Dex makes you cast faster if you want to go a mage route.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have some magic spear which is a miracle and some other thing. You're saying I need a magic equip thing and the only way I can equip that spell it is at a bonfire?

Lightning Spear? You need to slot the magic (3.5 DnD type) via attunement at a bonfire, then you need a talisman or catalyst to actually cast the spell with the R1/L1.

Lightning Spear is a Miracle, so you'll need a talisman. Once you've attuned it at a bonfire (Under Attune Magic), you'll see it at your top slot above your consumables/left weapon/right weapon in the bottom left of your screen.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So I was making my way through the New Londo Ruins, dying all the time and being generally on edge. After well over a dozen deaths I was slashing at everything I saw. I spotted Ingward on top of the church looking thing and assumed he was an enemy, so I murdered him in a quick combo on accident. I looked it up and found out he is the only way to remove curses. Did I just gently caress myself?

He's not the only way. You can buy consumable items from certain vendors that remove curse.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You've probably got either something like Soul Arrow or Soul Spear (somehow) or Lightning Spear from the Sunbros.

If it's a Soul Arrow, make sure you have the intelligence for it, and attune it at a bonfire. Equip a catalyst in one of your slots, swap to it, and hit L1/R1 depending on what hand you set it to.

It's a bit more complex if it's Lighting Spear, since it requires like 20 or 25 faith. For that, make sure you've got the faith requirement, then follow the instructions above, except replace "catalyst" with "talisman".

Pyro flame, talisman, and catalyst will all be in your weapon inventory screen.

voltron lion force posted:

He's not the only way. You can buy consumable items from certain vendors that remove curse.

Judging by most posts, half the people in this thread probably killed one of those other certain vendors already.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Purging stones will also remove curses. Killing Ingward isn't a huge deal.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So, uh, I just went back to where the Sanctuary Guardian was.

It went well. :gibs:

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Now that I think about it, what resistance applies to divine damage? Is it just considered magic or something?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Eyes Only posted:

Just got the game. Liking it so far but I really hate the camera controls. Is there a way to prevent auto-target from zipping all over the place when fighting multiple enemies? Every time I move the mouse one pixel it jumps to the next enemy.

Buy a controller!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Positronic Spleen posted:

Now that I think about it, what resistance applies to divine damage? Is it just considered magic or something?

There are three types of non-physical resistance.

Magic, under which a number of types are found (Sorceries, miracles, etc - magic/enchanted/divine/occult weapons). Divine has the special property of killing skeletons in the Catacombs dead for good until you bonfire up, while Occult supposedly does more damage to human (IE, someone you might invade or be invaded by) enemies.

Lightning, which is some miracles such as Lightning Spear or Sunlight Blade, and is of course Gold Pine Resin and lightning weapons.

Fire, which is pretty much all pyromancies, firebombs, Charcoal Pine Resin, fire arrows, and fire/chaos weapons.

In the case of divine, it falls under magic damage and resistance.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Summoning is pretty good right now at SL14/Gargoyles. On my 5th person with 8 summons right now. I don't want to become a sunbro... But this is so fun...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Okay so I got that magic attuned, and it's a Lightning Spear and a Karmic Justice. What does the second one even do?

Also what do I do now after the belltower? I saw some elevator that isn't working and no idea what to do.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

^^^^^^^
Edit

Minor Location spoilers, Karmic does this:

So, if I'm chaos covenant +2 now, in Anor Londo and I go to Carim and leave the covenant and join something else, after I'm done and by the end of the Ruins, is the shortcut to Lost Izalith going to be open when I get there or will I have to rejoin the covenant and give her 30 humanities again.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 27, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Okay so I got that magic attuned, and it's a Lightning Spear and a Karmic Justice. What does the second one even do?

Watch this video. It will acquaint you with Karmic Justice. Some minor later-game area spoilers, nothing major mostly just in the spawn area for invaders.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Oxman: Yes it'll stay open if you open it.
GreenBuckanneer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VFXK_7Sz2M

Basically if you take too much damage, you'll explode violently and harm people around you.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ha! Eat it, you stupid boar-that-isn't-even-a-proper-boss! I may have been carried through the Taurus Demon by an overpowered sunbro, but I kicked your rear end myself!

Now I just have to go beat the giant-knight-who-is-also-not-a-proper-boss.

Well, that was easier than expected. Probably helped that the first knight I lured out of there dropped the Balder Shield and that's just letting me block for days.

Ran up against Hidden Enemy Giant Wizard Pope and died, but at least I'm making progress now (especially now that I went to the left and opened that gate. No more dying to that stupid Balder Knight at that t-junction).

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

What is a good counter against people with katanas? They just relentlessly attack to build up bleed, and my balder side sword doesn't do enough to stagger them. It's really not worth it to try to trade blows. I'd try parrying but... I really don't feel good enough to do that reliably.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

TalonDemonKing posted:

Oxman: Yes it'll stay open if you open it.

That's what I don't understand, what actually opens it. Is it me just hitting +2 or do I have to actually go to the ruins and press a button or something to make it happen?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, if the drop rate is jacked up than it means that by the end of the game everyone will have black knight equipment coming out of their asses.

Can anyone tell if there's anything that the drop rate for HASN'T increased?

People keep saying that the drop rates have increased but I'm not convinced it actually has, since the only evidence seems to be some people in this thread saying they got a bunch of weapons, but that could just be luck. On the console version I got the shield and both swords in my first playthrough from the first few knights, but between me and my roommate we've killed 6 black knights so far in the PC version and only titanite shards :smith:

Edit: Whoops forgot to refresh, didn't realize this was addressed pages ago sorry!

Starks fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 27, 2012

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

OxMan posted:

That's what I don't understand, what actually opens it. Is it me just hitting +2 or do I have to actually go to the ruins and press a button or something to make it happen?

Gotta push a button.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

So I tried running at x4 native resolution and my computer exploded. Although It did look very pretty for a second!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

TalonDemonKing posted:

Gotta push a button.

Gotcha. I had never opened from the other side. Guess I can do it before 4 kings so i can still darkwraith when that happens.

Burns
May 10, 2008

If there is indeed a bug present where he does not drop the key to get to the Four Kings then yes you did. I havent found anyplace yet where this mystical key might have ended up. Maybe they moved it to the DLC area??

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Burns posted:

If there is indeed a bug present where he does not drop the key to get to the Four Kings then yes you did. I havent found anyplace yet where this mystical key might have ended up. Maybe they moved it to the DLC area??

Have you looked into the Lost and found box in the reflecting pool near firelink?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Given the nature of the DLC area... that's a possibility. It could also be one of those things like how Dusk or Big Hat work, where you have to leave the area or quit/reload for the key to spawn.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
OK, now I definitely need to send out an SOS. If you wish to help some poor bastard defeat Priscilla and get out of the Painted World of Ariamis, I need your help! SL: 49, if that makes any difference.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ivaEVlTbw So here's the final DLC boss spoiler.

Jesus loving christ. :stare:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Arujei posted:

OK, now I definitely need to send out an SOS. If you wish to help some poor bastard defeat Priscilla and get out of the Painted World of Ariamis, I need your help! SL: 49, if that makes any difference.

I've not gone to the Painted World on PC just yet, but I've got the doll. Hang around the bonfire for a few, I'll load up the game and head out there.

EDIT: I'm in, sign is down at the bonfire.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 27, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Got the Dark Soul achievement (spoilers in the image).

It doesn't look like the DLC content affects the "collect them all" achievments. There's still one spell I'm missing from it (I know how to get it though), and I don't think anyone's figured out if there's any use for the Guardian Soul yet.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Shima Honnou posted:

I've not gone to the Painted World on PC just yet, but I've got the doll. Hang around the bonfire for a few, I'll load up the game and head out there.

Thank you so much. Who should I be looking for?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Dark Souls (PC Thread) No, really, you need a gamepad for this

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Arujei posted:

Thank you so much. Who should I be looking for?

Eastern Armor, falchion, crest shield. White sign.

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule

redmercer posted:

Dark Souls (PC Thread) No, really, you need a gamepad for this

Wish I had realized this before buying the game an hour ago :mad: My gamepad broke over a year ago and I never replaced it because, honestly, I've never played a game where I didn't have fun with keyboard and mouse. But the mouselook in this is loving atrocious so now I need to shell out for a 360 controller that I will likely hardly ever use.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
Did they nerf the Humanity drop rate on the Picasas in the Archives? I made like 10 trips and only came out with like 3 Humanity drops, this was with like 7 liquid humanity and the covetous serpent ring. Used to be 2-3 per run.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ivaEVlTbw So here's the final DLC boss spoiler.

Jesus loving christ. :stare:

He's pretty bad, that guy in the video was like twice my level (I think I was like level 60ish) when I fought that boss. I did do the NPC summon, but it really wasn't much help. Pretty cool fight though, vaguely reminded me of Flamelurker from Demon's Souls.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Zylen posted:

Wish I had realized this before buying the game an hour ago :mad: My gamepad broke over a year ago and I never replaced it because, honestly, I've never played a game where I didn't have fun with keyboard and mouse. But the mouselook in this is loving atrocious so now I need to shell out for a 360 controller that I will likely hardly ever use.

My PC literally stopped being able to recognize my ps3 controller no matter what I did like the day before this game out so I went off and got an xbox controller. It is an intense piece of trash but works reliably with no hassle.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, Blighttown is swarming with invaders.

Anybody want to help me fight Quelaag? I get what I'm supposed to be doing here, but it seems like it'd be much more fun with a goon helping out. SL36ish.

And for the shortcut you get from joining the Chaos whatever Covenant, does that persist through NG+, even if you leave them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

DMBFan23 posted:

Did they nerf the Humanity drop rate on the Picasas in the Archives? I made like 10 trips and only came out with like 3 Humanity drops, this was with like 7 liquid humanity and the covetous serpent ring. Used to be 2-3 per run.

I just got 17 in close to 5 trips a while ago. Sorry for your luck.

• Locked thread