Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're using PDFs regularly the iPad is definitely the one for that. I also find reading comics on the Nexus tablet sucks compared to my iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012
Just ordered me a rMBP

2.6/16GB/256GB

I feel like im never going to use my iPad 2 after I get this baby. Should sell it I think.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Based on what? If anything it should 'feel' faster. I noticed ML felt more like SL (meaning faster like before Lion) on my C2D and so does virtually everyone else.

Boot time is slower, more RAM is used at any given time, apps open slower, Aperture (which I use frequently even though it's taxing on my machine) edits take longer and freezes more frequently. Everything is a good five seconds slower since updating. That being said, this is an old computer and I don't expect anything less - just saying it might not be worth the upgrade if you don't need any of the new features.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kalix posted:

Do you have the 11inch or 13inch?

What about the rest of you who are selling or considering selling your iPads?

Personally, I have the older 13inch Air -- and my iPad has been staying home a lot. I use it for reading and surfing in bed, looking at articles and the like.

The 11" Air or iPad is a much better travel companion than the 13" Air. So much smaller when it counts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mdtyson posted:

Boot time is slower, more RAM is used at any given time, apps open slower, Aperture (which I use frequently even though it's taxing on my machine) edits take longer and freezes more frequently. Everything is a good five seconds slower since updating. That being said, this is an old computer and I don't expect anything less - just saying it might not be worth the upgrade if you don't need any of the new features.

I was in a similar boat, but even worse. I fixed everything last night.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=406842537&forumid=22

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

hedgecore posted:

For those with the new Air, are you gaming under Windows 7? This laptop is awesome overall, but Left 4 Dead 2 runs like garbage even on low settings for me under OSX. It's choppy even at the start of a level where you pick a weapon, let alone when you have a bunch of zombies on screen.

L4D2 hates it for some reason, D3 is kinda laggy, TF2 and SC2 both run fine. For these games I get about equal performance on Windows and OSX. I also tried Civ 5, which runs okay, although somewhat faster in Windows.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sweek0 posted:

#firstworldproblems but my new MBA has lead to me not using my old iPad anymore at all. Who else has both and what do you still use the iPad for?

I block "fun" and "time waster" sites on my MBP and can't login to anything on my work iMac (on account of me using 1Password to remember 50 digit passwords and I don't have 1Password installed at work), so I regulate funtime to my iPhone and/or iPad. It keeps me from wasting too much time because I'll notice I've been holding my iPad for a bit browsing Facebook.

I also keep the iPad next to my bed so when I wake up first thing I do is jump over to Google Reader and catch up on news before getting up to shower and stuff. To not end up spending three hours in bed reading stuff my system is I just 'star' the articles I want to read and then go through them throughout the day. It's an awesome system for me.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Once you go new macbook trackpad, you dont go back.

Its breathing some new life into my ancient (2008) iMac.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Went to look at a MacBook Pro Retina at the store today.

Gotta buy one now. Having 1920x1200 with pixels that small would be amazing for the type of work I do (lovely windows apps that are so cluttered with UI poo poo you need at least 1600 pixels of width to work with).

Now I need to sell my Air that I bought 4 months ago.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

sweek0 posted:

#firstworldproblems but my new MBA has lead to me not using my old iPad anymore at all. Who else has both and what do you still use the iPad for?

I don't like having a computer on my lap when I'm on my couch or reading in bed.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
I need to replace my white macbook's battery and I was wondering if there are any preferred sellers other than Apple. I've been looking through Amazon but even the batteries labeled "Apple" seem to be sourced from random third parties according to the reviews.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I like the trackpad so much I'm thinking about grabbing one for my work computer. I understand that they work with Ubuntu, though I don't know how well.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I have a 5.5 year old macbook and I'm having major overheating problems. It will overheat in about 30-60 seconds when watching a youtube video and it will just shut itself down.

Any ideas what the problem could be or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new computer?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Omits-Bagels posted:

I have a 5.5 year old macbook and I'm having major overheating problems. It will overheat in about 30-60 seconds when watching a youtube video and it will just shut itself down.

Any ideas what the problem could be or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new computer?

Can't Hurt to open her up and clean out the dust and re-apply thermal compound

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey...perhaps someone here can help me. This is a Mac hardware issue.

I have a time capsule for backup. I used to have time warner cable, and Time Capsule worked fine with it. Now I have Verizon Fios. And now my time capsule won't play nice.

Doing google searches, I found out HOW to troubleshoot it. The problem is, all the troubleshooting I found involves all OSes prior to Mountain Lion.

The solution is to put the time capsule into Bridge Mode. The problem is, I have no clue how to do that in Mountain Lion, as the interface in the Airport utility has changed. Here is a screen cap of what the new Airport Utility looks like, to me:

In addition, I click that edit button on the lower right hand corner, and I can't find ANY option for setting the time capsule to Bridge Mode. Apple message board searches haven't provided any luck. Can anyone here provide any assistance?

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

fart blood posted:

In addition, I click that edit button on the lower right hand corner, and I can't find ANY option for setting the time capsule to Bridge Mode. Apple message board searches haven't provided any luck. Can anyone here provide any assistance?

Edit > Networks >Router Mode

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Went to look at a MacBook Pro Retina at the store today.

Gotta buy one now. Having 1920x1200 with pixels that small would be amazing for the type of work I do (lovely windows apps that are so cluttered with UI poo poo you need at least 1600 pixels of width to work with).

Now I need to sell my Air that I bought 4 months ago.

FYI it's 2880x1800, and Photoshop CS6 doesn't support retina yet. They showed it off at WWDC but there's been no ETA on the update.

It will be amazing for designing retina iPad and iPhone apps when its out though.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Edit > Networks >Router Mode

:ughh: How did I NOT see that? I feel like a goof. Thanks! :)

Hardflip posted:

FYI it's 2880x1800, and Photoshop CS6 doesn't support retina yet. They showed it off at WWDC but there's been no ETA on the update.

It will be amazing for designing retina iPad and iPhone apps when its out though.

What bothers me is Adobe is only implying a Retina update for Photoshop, and has mentioned nothing about Retina updates for their other apps.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Omits-Bagels posted:

Beyond cleaning and putting new compound on the heatsink, ClicktoPlugin may also improve your experience with web video substantially.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I started using bootcamp last week and every time my computer gets turned off it defaults to windows. Is there any way to get it to default to OSX? It's annoying as hell when the option key fails to work and I get booted into windows 3 times in a row.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

NESguerilla posted:

I started using bootcamp last week and every time my computer gets turned off it defaults to windows. Is there any way to get it to default to OSX? It's annoying as hell when the option key fails to work and I get booted into windows 3 times in a row.

Make sure to set it as the start up disk in System Preferences > Startup Disk

In Windows, if you right click on the Bootcamp icon and go Restart to Mac OSX it should set OSX as the default startup disk as well. If you go to Start > Shutdown, chances are Windows will still be the default start up disk.

edit: Bah, my image didn't upload.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

fart blood posted:

What bothers me is Adobe is only implying a Retina update for Photoshop, and has mentioned nothing about Retina updates for their other apps.

It would be loving terrible if they didn't update it till CS7 next May or whenever.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Hardflip posted:

It would be loving terrible if they didn't update it till CS7 next May or whenever.

Don't be surprised if they do that. As a professional graphic designer I've been screwed by Adobe many times and this wouldn't phase me.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Oh no, they're not immediately updating their massive creative suite for your first generation high-end laptop?! A few months until an update? Definitely getting hosed here.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Question for iMac owners:

I have a 27" 2010 which, over the course of six months or so, developed a noticeable discoloration or stain on the display. Dark, squiggly thing, almost like water-damaged paper, came and went depending on the general temperature of the machine at first but eventually became permanent. Apple replaced the screen a couple of months ago, but as of last week the problem has resurfaced.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if it's even fixable.

e: VVV nope, nothing like that.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 27, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Could it be condensation? It was happening on my 2009 iMac and it went away when the weather became warmer. I also stopped turning off the iMac.

Does it look like this? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=429431

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!
Does anyone know of a MBA keyboard protector/cover that doesn't make typing feel really lovely? I've used a few friends and they all feel really rubbery which sucks cause I love the feeling of the keyboard without a protector on it but would like to protect it

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Weatherproof posted:

Does anyone know of a MBA keyboard protector/cover that doesn't make typing feel really lovely? I've used a few friends and they all feel really rubbery which sucks cause I love the feeling of the keyboard without a protector on it but would like to protect it

Protect it from what?

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!

shrughes posted:

Protect it from what?

Dirty fingers, dirt/dust/stuff falling in the holes, liquid spills.

almighty_monkey
Sep 2, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bimmi posted:

I have a 27" 2010 which, over the course of six months or so, developed a noticeable discoloration or stain on the display. Dark, squiggly thing, almost like water-damaged paper, came and went depending on the general temperature of the machine at first but eventually became permanent. Apple replaced the screen a couple of months ago, but as of last week the problem has resurfaced.

e: VVV nope, nothing like that.

I've got the same problem. As best I can tell from an evening's Googling, the screen - as in the actual screen itself, not just the glass - is rather poorly sealed and dust can get in.

Some dude's done a video of him fixing the problem here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P70WzU0ABBs - but it does involve taking a loving knife to the display at one point. I'm too much of a chicken, myself - Apparently, if you lift the front of the screen up too far something can snap and ruin the display, and on mine its limited to the top right corner so I can live with it. There be a thread on the Apple forums here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3342983?start=0&tstart=0

If your computer is under any sort of warranty, though, just get them to replace the screen again.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Oh no, they're not immediately updating their massive creative suite for your first generation high-end laptop?! A few months until an update? Definitely getting hosed here.

If they don't update the version released just a few months ago, as implied by Apple in the WWDC keynote, and instead wait until CS7, then you'll have to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for an upgrade that is probably a year or more away. So yeah, you would be getting hosed.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

almighty_monkey posted:

I've got the same problem. As best I can tell from an evening's Googling, the screen - as in the actual screen itself, not just the glass - is rather poorly sealed and dust can get in.

Pretty sure it's not dust - the discoloration fades if the computer has been off or asleep for a while and slowly comes back as the machine heats up. It is also showing a very faint residual pattern from my desktop background this time. Apple never really told me what they thought the problem was when they replaced it.

quote:

If your computer is under any sort of warranty, though, just get them to replace the screen again.

That is an option, but if the same issue is just going to keep reoccurring it seems kind of pointless. That's why I'm wondering how common this sort of thing is.

(really wish I'd ponied up the extra bux for a Pro instead of this finicky goddamned thing)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Quoted from the OSX Software thread cause it's hardware related.

echobucket posted:

The extreme. Looks like the price has already went up on amazon.

I got it for $154
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...ndisk+ssd+240gb

The price keeps going up! It was $169 this morning, now it's $171.

I have been looking for an SSD to put into my mid-2010 MBP, and this one is obviously the right price. I am concerned about reliability and compatibility with OSX(sleeping, waking) as well as the issue of negotiated link speed with the controller.

This would still feel light years faster than my mechanical drive, right?

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Any SSD will make it feel a lot faster, but at that price you might want to go with the Crucial M4 http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...ords=crucial+m4

I've got the 128 Gig Crucial in my 2010 13" MBP and it wakes up fast enough that by the time I finish opening the lid the touchpad is immediately responsive. It's also nice that the only noise is now from the fans, no more whirring sounds as the HDD spins up to access something.

zeroprime fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 27, 2012

Smutton
Jun 5, 2005

Omits-Bagels posted:

It might be the fan. Open it up (find a guide on ifixit.com) and spin the fan with your finger to see if there's any resistance. If there's resistance then you've got clumps of dust trapped in there preventing the fan from spinning and cooling properly. Use a vacuum cleaner to get the dust out (this can take a bit of time and you might need to use your fingers to create a small hole at the end of your vacuum for maximum suction). My friend had your issue and after doing this for him it now runs like new.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Bimmi posted:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2300580?start=0&tstart=0

My Late 2009 27" has the same problem. I should probably get the screen replaced before my Apple Care runs out. I had the DVD drive replaced about 9 months after I bought it and as soon as I got it home and booted it up I noticed the dark spots on the screen.

As you can see by the 56 pages worth of posts on Apple's site, it is a very common problem.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

If they don't update the version released just a few months ago, as implied by Apple in the WWDC keynote, and instead wait until CS7, then you'll have to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for an upgrade that is probably a year or more away. So yeah, you would be getting hosed.

Why wait for CS7 when they can just repeat recent history and soak you for CS6.5 and CS7?

It'd also put that new mandatory upgrade policy to good use.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bimmi posted:

That is an option, but if the same issue is just going to keep reoccurring it seems kind of pointless. That's why I'm wondering how common this sort of thing is.

3 unsuccessful hardware repairs and they give you a new computer. One would assume your weird [apparently more common than I thought] splotch probably won't rear it's head again on a completely different piece of hardware.

Edit: Missed Legdiian's post there; edited for accuracy.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 28, 2012

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

3 unsuccessful hardware repairs and they give you a new computer. One would assume your weird nobody's-heard-of-it-before splotch probably won't rear it's head again on a completely different piece of hardware.

This is a common problem and if you are to believe the people complaining in that thread, it will happen again even after the LCD is replaced.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
^^^ Didn't catch that post of yours before I wrote mine. I've never heard of that issue and I work on Macs for some of my living. Given its relative rarity (hundreds of people bitching on a support thread does not make a problem "common" when you're looking at a scale of ten million+ sales per year) swapping the computer out for completely new hardware would still most likely do the trick.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

They were discussing the rest of the Creative Suite, not Photoshop, with estimates for at least a year before some kind of update, not a few months.

And take this as an example:
The multiprocessor Power Mac 9600MP came out in 1997; Adobe Indesign 1.0 was released in 1999; the dual Power Mac G4 came out in 2001; dual-core Intel processors started showing up in 2006 model Macs; CS3 was released in 2007; every Mac released in 2007 or later has had at least two cores.

In 2010, with the release of CS5, Indesign was finally able to render files in a background thread (so that for example you can export one large book and keep working on another), and that's not even something that required multicore machines to work to begin with. On top of that, even as of CS6 (released in 2012), Indesign will not use more than one core when rendering documents. With a 12-core Mac Pro, it should be capable of rendering 12 pages simultaneously, thus turning a 20-minute rendering job into an approximately 2-minute rendering job.

I could go on about other CS apps (like Fireworks and the millions of bugs, crashers, and interface glitches that have persisted ever since Adobe bought out Macromedia) but really that's enough. The only app Adobe pays any serious attention to is Photoshop (to stick with my earlier example, note Photoshop DID get basic multiprocessor support in 1997 and that has been continuously improved on since). When professional designers speak of being screwed by Adobe and predict more such screwing in the future, they predict from a solid foundation.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 28, 2012