Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. One of the ones that works for both, and comes with the little receiver you plug into USB.

E: I believe you can buy the USB thing separately and get normal controllers to work though? Not sure.
Yeah, the controllers that come with those packs are normal Xbox 360 controllers. Any Xbox 360 controller will work with the wireless dongle thing so long as you sync it to the dongle.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, my router's settings page looks like this right now, and it works

But someone was saying that that could be excessive and only one of those really needs to be in place. And just in general, I've been aware of port forwarding for at least a decade but I can't say I really fully get it.

edit: well, just for the hell of it I disabled them all and just did a successful invasion (you shoulda seen what the guy was wearing, a gargoyle helmet, a catarina breastplate, and a gold threaded skirt, armed with the drake sword and hollow shield), so now I don't know what to think.
If your router has UPnP enabled it should have already portforwarded the necessary ports. And yes, you shouldn't be manually portforwarding anything other than 3074.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've killed 5 black knights so far I think. The one in the burg, parish, basin and two in the asylum. No drops. :(

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

gibbed posted:

If your router has UPnP enabled it should have already portforwarded the necessary ports. And yes, you shouldn't be manually portforwarding anything other than 3074.

Newer routers are cheaping out on UPnP, unfortunately. AT&T apparently no longer carries any UPnP-enabled routers, although from everything I've looked up, my new router does technically have UPnP, it's just disabled and I'd have to hack it to change it to on. Frankly it's bullshit that they're doing that kind of thing, it means I've got to have a load of ports forwarded to be able to play stuff like BF3 or use Origin/Uplay properly for my games that require those platforms.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Not black knight, but I've gotten 2 silver knight drops (the shield and the spear) from the same knight, the one not by the chests in the room that the shortcut from the upper to lower level in Anor Londo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't know if they nerfed the Black Knight Greataxe in the PC version but that was by far my favorite STR weapon (I had around 40 STR, it needs 36). It's not as slow as the other massive STR weapons and it still hits really hard.

The only problem is that there are only 2 enemies that drop it in the whole game, and the first one doesn't respawn so if you don't get it you have to wait until the end of the game to get one.

As an addendum: if you don't get a BK Greataxe, I recommend making an elemental Murakumo. It's faster than most other heavy weapons in the game and it deals a fuckton of damage even if it doesn't scale - I greatly prefer it to the Zweihander and its ilk.

It'll hold you until you can get the axe during the endgame.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 27, 2012

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Fun fact about greatswords of any type - if you wield it in your offhand, you cannot parry, but you can block with it, as well as attack with it. Using your main weapon 2handed allows you to sheath the other greatsword, which is the only time you really get to see something like the Claymore in it's sheath.

Wait, what? That can't be true, that can't possibly-- http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/594727976584879465/0ABC163DEA393F30411C9A262299218703EC639F/

:black101: :black101: :black101:

(is there any actual reason to wield a greatsword off-handed?)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Mimic posted:

A weapon wielded with both hands counts your strength as STR + 50% toward the requirement. As I understand it, having 20 STR counts as having 30 STR toward wielding it two-handed and not one-handed, for instance. (Edit: Beaten again.)

Kind of regretting going STR so heavily. I have 25 STR, 20 dex, so I could conceivably switch. I found a nice katana with B dex scaling. For strength weapons, the best scaling I can find is C, and that's the Black Knight Sword. It seems like fast weapons may be more fun, straight swords in particular, but I don't wanna waste this beefy 25 STR I have.

The Black Knight Sword is good for the stats you have, I used it for a pretty large portion of the game. You do have good stats for the BK Greataxe if you ever find it, it requires 36 STR and 18 DEX so you can 2 hand it and the dex you have isn't wasted. At 25 STR you can one hand a Zweihander but it only needs 10 DEX. It scales at C with STR and D with Dex.

There's a neat spear you can get that needs 24STR and 24DEX that scales with STR, DEX and FTH but it doesn't do that much damage, but it shoots loving lightning bolts.

Really if you're on your first time through scaling is not as important as having the minimum requirements to wield a weapon, you can upgrade a weapon to fire/lightning to remove scaling and make it stronger.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Strangely enough every time I've been summoned for forest pvp I've progressed to the exact same spot from the campfire in anor londo. The painting of whoever rafters area. Confirmation bias or might it have something to do with loading a new area and passing some invisible threshold.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Mimic posted:

Wait, what? That can't be true, that can't possibly-- http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/594727976584879465/0ABC163DEA393F30411C9A262299218703EC639F/

:black101: :black101: :black101:

Uh I never knew this and I've been playing this game on and off for a year.

You can wield weapons in your offhand if you want a different attack, mainly for PVP. So you can do stuff like have a quick sword in your main hand to attack with but keep a spear in your offhand to poke enemies if they try to outrange your sword.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The Mimic posted:

There is an actual reason, and that reason is called "awesome".

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Isn't the Zweihander much better than the Murakamo? I'll try to get one though.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There's a neat spear you can get that needs 24STR and 24DEX that scales with STR, DEX and FTH but it doesn't do that much damage, but it shoots loving lightning bolts.

... That means I could one-hand a Black Knight Sword AND shoot lightning bolts from my offhand spear? Or vice-versa. Holy rear end I love this game.

I'm seriously tempted to invade someone's world with two Black Knight Swords, just to terrify them. I will kill with fear. :arghfist::black101:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tolain posted:

Strangely enough every time I've been summoned for forest pvp I've progressed to the exact same spot from the campfire in anor londo. The painting of whoever rafters area. Confirmation bias or might it have something to do with loading a new area and passing some invisible threshold.

Forest Covenant typically returns you to your latest bonfire, but it can do some weird things.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Orv posted:

Forest Covenant typically returns you to your latest bonfire, but it can do some weird things.

Well, I mean all 4 times I've been summoned have been at the exact same spot. Climbing up the ladder in the cathedral. It's kind of odd, considering I had spent about an hour sitting around waiting to be summoned before that. So I'm wondering if changing areas refreshes your lobby or something weird like that. I really would like to know more about lobby mechanics in general.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I know little to nothing about lobbies aside from their basic function, so it's entirely possible. Though I'm not sure how much anyone knows about their deeper workings. If someone does, I'm sure they're in here.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The Mimic posted:

... That means I could one-hand a Black Knight Sword AND shoot lightning bolts from my offhand spear? Or vice-versa. Holy rear end I love this game.

I'm seriously tempted to invade someone's world with two Black Knight Swords, just to terrify them. I will kill with fear. :arghfist::black101:

The spear would need to be in your main hand, the 1hand R2 is the one that fires the lightning bolt; I think all spears just poke when in the offhand. The spear in question is also fairly long and does natural lightning damage.

But otherwise, yes, you could invade someone wielding a huge lightning spear and a Black Knight Sword. And since this is Dark Souls, there's a decent chance to can win it if you play well and fight smart.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Isn't the Zweihander much better than the Murakamo? I'll try to get one though.

The Zweihander has higher damage, but the Murakumo is much faster, more versatile and has incredible range (it's one of, if not the longest non-spear weapon and the R2 attack hits 180+ degrees in front of you). Put fire on it and you'll be set. It got me through the majority of NG and NG+ until I realized just how broken the BK Great Axe is.

I'd personally take the Murakumo over the Zweihander any day of the week.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 27, 2012

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Just reached the Anor Londo archers, and I can see why they have a reputation for being the most horrible thing. I'm going to give it a few more tries, then just see about calling in some help.

Edit: Killed one. Praying to God they don't respawn.

Edit2: :smith:

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 27, 2012

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

aegeryn posted:

Just reached the Anor Londo archers, and I can see why they have a reputation for being the most horrible thing. I'm going to give it a few more tries, then just see about calling in some help.

It felt so good to stand where they weren't hitting me and just shoot them to death.

Who's the arsehole archer now?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

aegeryn posted:

Killed one. Praying to God they don't respawn.

I've got some bad news for you.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

I've got some bad news for you.

Please tell me there's a bonfire right after these fuckers so I never have to successfully do this more than once.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

aegeryn posted:

Please tell me there's a bonfire right after these fuckers so I never have to successfully do this more than once.

Good news!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

As long as you make the jump without dying, of course. Hope you still have an estus flask swig!

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

This plus realizing I can just sprint past the giants and demons on the way back has given me the spirit to go on. Praise the sun.

Edit: Okay, I can consistently reach Dickhead Maximus on the right and stay alive. Now it's just a matter of killing him.

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 27, 2012

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

aegeryn posted:

This plus realizing I can just sprint past the giants and demons on the way back has given me the spirit to go on. Praise the sun.

It's funny how much of the game you can actually just run past. I'm fairly sure you can do Blighttown without killing anything, for instance.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's funny how much of the game you can actually just run past.

Totally, on my last run of the PS3 version, which was a NG++, I probably went through the whole thing in about 3 hours. It's amazing how fast you can navigate once you know every shortcut and enemy location.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

aegeryn posted:

Edit: Killed one. Praying to God they don't respawn.

Edit2: :smith:

Spoiler'd in case you really want to figure out the knights yourself.

Rush the one on the right, unless the changed it the left one can't hit you then. When you're running up the bridge, keep running, they won't hit you. When you're running toward the archer, roll into-ish the wall (to prevent falling off, not because wall rolling makes you dodge better or anything). Those dragonslayer arrows move really slowly, and even if your reflexes make you fail dodging it completely, invincibility frames should be a pretty good ally.

Also, about halfway up the bridge, when there's the wall and a choice between left or right, if you stand there behind cover for a while the knights will stop shooting, giving you some free windup time to get around the pillar and run up the second half of the bridge without risking getting hit.

After that... well, most people say kick the guy off the edge, I had trouble with that. I say that parry+riposte works better. Then again, I'm decent at parrying attacks (at least NPC straight sword attacks).

If you don't want to take out the one on the left, you only miss out on a trivial item. I think it's just a stupid 10k soul item or something, certainly nothing worth inducing controller smashing rage for.

After you get past that part, well, skip this if you want to figure out which path to take first, but if you want to avoid potentially smashing your controller, I'll tell you where the bonfire is.

For the love of god, go in the left-hand door first once you're inside. It has Sunbro and a bonfire. The right side door has a knight, and forward has a knight. If you die to either knight you will have to do the sentinels, demons, and bridge all over again.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

aegeryn posted:

Now it's just a matter of killing him.

Try parrying.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Try parrying.

On that note, where's a good place to practice parrying? I've beaten the game on XBox and am up to AL on PC, but I could count my successful parries on one hand.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^^^ Try the knights in Anor Londo. They telegraph, but no so much that it is exactly easy. Would definitely recommend them over the little Warriors in the 'Burg, since they tend to have really unpredictable timings. The Knights are at least consistent.

Ah ha. I just realized how much of a dick Fromsoftware is.

Catacombs spoilers
Immediately defeating pinwheel and moving on int Tomb of the Giants, there is actually a bonfire... except it isn't a "bone" fire, just sort of camp that explorers (the band of Clerics?) used on the way down.

That said, for anyone whom has basically completed all of the normal game content can you tell me if there is a functional warp point in tomb of the Giants?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

On that note, where's a good place to practice parrying? I've beaten the game on XBox and am up to AL on PC, but I could count my successful parries on one hand.

I got decent at parrying off the BK in Basin that guards the Grass Crest shield. It doesn't follow you into the cave that leads to VoD with the bonfire, so just parry until you're low and reset.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Shima Honnou posted:

As long as you make the jump without dying, of course. Hope you still have an estus flask swig!

No joke, I made it past the archers with no estus left, and a couple of small ticks of health. I survived the fall. I couldn't even see my health, so I had to check my status screen. 1 hp. poo poo gave me chills.

I've also been playing through the entire game with the bandit's knife and target shield for fun. I do have a back-up weapon for bosses I can't inflict bleed damage easily on. Currently getting my rear end handed to me by Sifl and Olly, though. Would be nice if any summon signs or anything relating to other players would show up anymore.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kiggles posted:

That said, for anyone whom has basically completed all of the normal game content can you tell me if there is a functional warp point in tomb of the Giants?
I think one was added for the PC version?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think one was added for the PC version?

Correct.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

Try parrying.

Trying this taught me two things: first, I'm godawful at parrying. Second, it doesn't matter when the enemy walks right off the side and plummets to his death.

It's over. :woop:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Silver Knights in Anor Londo do a very predictable three-part combo, you can easily block the first and practise parrying the second.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How do you parry/riposte anyways? I think I never managed a single one yet, I always block.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

aegeryn posted:

Trying this taught me two things: first, I'm godawful at parrying. Second, it doesn't matter when the enemy walks right off the side and plummets to his death.

It's over. :woop:

Congratulations. Have fun with the boss!

FrickenMoron posted:

How do you parry/riposte anyways? I think I never managed a single one yet, I always block.

As soon as you see the enemy swing at you, hit R2. As long as you have pretty much anything other than a spell tool (Pyro flame/catalyst/talisman), a greatweapon (Any weapon that would rest on your shoulder when you use it in your main hand), a greatshield (Any shield that bashes with R2), or a small selection of other weapons (I don't think the Gold Tracer nor whips can be used for it), you should be able to knock the weapon of the enemy aside. Attack immediately afterwards.

No joke when I say this, get good at that skill. You will need it to beat the game.

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

What's with the skeletons in the tomb of the giants? It seems like gamble with every attack that they'll either just ricochet off my shield harmlessly taking a chunk of stamina or hit me through the shield but still bounce off as if the attacks been blocked taking off a chunk off stamina (not empty it) and HP. Seems to happen almost every time they use that kick attack, sometimes it'll happen when they're swiping. They're not the only enemies that have done it either. Are the hitboxes just messed up smetimes or is their just something I've missed after 12 hours of playing?

Made going through there a loving joy. Especially when I found a door I couldn't even go through at the end of it :smith:

Booga fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

It's the secondary attack on light/medium shields. If you use a heavy shield, you bash instead. You just gotta get the timing right.

Shima Honnou posted:

No joke when I say this, get good at that skill. You will need it to beat the game.

That's overstating it. There are times when it will be plenty useful, but I beat the game fine on my first playthrough without ever parrying anything.

• Locked thread