Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is 802.1x fairly straight forward?

Turn it on globally, already have AAA and Radius servers defined and working with SSH logins (we're even doing AAA login groups and the like on certain devices). I'll need to "add aaa authentication dot1x default group radius".

Turn it on on the interfaces, have it set port control to auto, etc?

Are there any changes I need to make on a Radius server or for an eventual NAC server?

Anything I need to do with VLANs?

Short answers:

I think so.

You'll want a few others.

Possibly, depending on what you want to have happen based on auth state.

See last response.

Reading time:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6638/products_ios_protocol_group_home.html

I'm not being a dick. IBNS has a ton of features you need to read up on. Is this a "hey can we do this" idea? Or is this a "Hey, we have these requirements and are looking at 802.1x to be part of that solution"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
It was more or less "Hey, were getting a NAC. Read up on 802.1x and do some testing and figure it out". So here I am.

I've gone over the config guide but its a little obtuse. Wanted to hit the thread up for any quick advice. About to setup a 3750 for testing purposes now.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

We got talked into purchasing Prime to replace WCS, so please post any hints you come up with on NAC. It's not something I really want to deploy, but sounds like Cisco's trying to press the issue. I can't have a meeting with my rep without some hard-sell presales engineer FUDding me about how I'm not doing NAC.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I'm not doing any config on it/heading it up but I'll gladly post any interested tid bits we happen to come across.

Currently I'm upgrading the software on this 3750g since I can turn Dot1x on globally but can't configure it on any interfaces. Command isn't recognized.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I'm not doing any config on it/heading it up but I'll gladly post any interested tid bits we happen to come across.

Currently I'm upgrading the software on this 3750g since I can turn Dot1x on globally but can't configure it on any interfaces. Command isn't recognized.

There is a cheat sheet on the page I linked you to. A lot of the commands are deprecated/changed.

Which NAC solution are you guys going with?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

wired 802.1x is full of so many caveats it's nearly unimaginable.

I don't know the current state of things, but when I looked most recently, following the command overhaul in IOS, it was still messy.

I was asked to implement wired 802.1x a few years ago, and I dug my heels in hard to avoid having to do it. It's such a terrific way to guarantee that periodically machines will be shunted off the network.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm hoping I can duplicate my current WCS functionality in Prime and ignore anything related to wired auth.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Tremblay posted:

There is a cheat sheet on the page I linked you to. A lot of the commands are deprecated/changed.

Which NAC solution are you guys going with?

Cool. I'll see if I can find that cheat sheet.

Not sure on NAC just yet. Lemme ask.

ed

nvm, had to be explicit in the type of switchport.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 27, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a login to various cisco routers and switches in our company. I need to change the password of the other person who has an account on those same switches and routers.

How do I go about doing that? Is it different for different models? Or is it all the same across ios?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a login to various cisco routers and switches in our company. I need to change the password of the other person who has an account on those same switches and routers.

How do I go about doing that? Is it different for different models? Or is it all the same across ios?
same across IOS. 'privilege xx' is optional. 'secret' or 'password' can be used, 'password' will give you reversible type 7 encryption while 'secret' is MD5/more secure. If it is because some guy is getting fired, reset enable passwords too.

username firedguy privilege 15 secret newpass
enable secret enablepass

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
or just delete his access entirely:

no username fireguy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

falz posted:

same across IOS. 'privilege xx' is optional. 'secret' or 'password' can be used, 'password' will give you reversible type 7 encryption while 'secret' is MD5/more secure. If it is because some guy is getting fired, reset enable passwords too.

username firedguy privilege 15 secret newpass
enable secret enablepass

CrazyLittle posted:

or just delete his access entirely:

no username fireguy

Awesome. Yes it is because someone is getting fired. Is either one of the above methods better or worse for any real reason?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Well if you get fired then there won't be any more users to delete.

We use RADIUS/LDAP so we can disable accounts without modifying configs. I'd keep an admin user with some obnoxious password in the configuration to use as a backup, then individual accounts for users for various reasons.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

falz posted:

Well if you get fired then there won't be any more users to delete.

We use RADIUS/LDAP so we can disable accounts without modifying configs. I'd keep an admin user with some obnoxious password in the configuration to use as a backup, then individual accounts for users for various reasons.

+1 for this, centralized TACACS+ tied into a directory service, and local backup account and enable secret. If the TACACS+ server is up and available the backup account/enable secret won't work.

And while you're setting this up, set up RANCID too. You'll thank us later.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

See, heres the thing. I dont know how to change a password in IOS, or lock an account out. RADIUS tied back to AD through LDAP is a bit beyond my current IOS knowledge, although I agree that we should head there.

So, is just changing the password the best bet?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unless you think you're going to need to give that user or someone else access to the router using that username then just delete it (from another account). Change the enable secret while your at it (unless you give all your users privilege 15 or something).

no username firedguy
enable secret 0 passwordhere

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

radius or tacacs on IOS isn't too bad. It works more or less how you'd want out of the box.

The ASA's on the other hand... *shakes fist*

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Would aaa new-model being active prevent me from using "login local" on vty lines for SSH?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Would aaa new-model being active prevent me from using "login local" on vty lines for SSH?

Yes. By setting AAA you're telling it to read auth info from the AAA config and not the local config on the VTY lines.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

Yes. By setting AAA you're telling it to read auth info from the AAA config and not the local config on the VTY lines.

If you have local in your method list you should be fine if: it is before another source (or only source), or if the connectivity to external stores is down. Presuming its configured. I think.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
My work just dumped a ton of money into getting a bunch of Cisco 3502i access points. They seemed fine when they tested one.

However, after installing them (dozens), we've ran into one big problem: iPhones and iPads cannot connect (most of our mobile devices).

We get a bunch of "Unable to connect to xxx network" errors. If we try and retry and retry, eventually they connect. I'm talking 20+ attempts.

I found this page through a search:
http://www.101tech.net/2012/04/04/cant-connect-to-wlc-5508-and-3502-aps-using-iphone/

quote:

If you’re having this issue – try disabling aironet-ie under WLAN -> advanced.

it worked for me.

I also saw this:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2080311

quote:

After scouring the Apple forums there was a brief mention of the Apple products having an issue when the same SSID is broadcast on both the 2.4 & 5ghz frequencies.

We disabled the specific SSID's use of the 5ghz and whoala no more Apple iPhone and iPads connection issues.

iPhones don't use the 5GHz frequency, so I don't know if that would be an issue.

Other than those two things, anyone have any idea of what to look for or change to make this work?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Are you using them as standalone APs or as lightweight APs in conjunction with a controller?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Are you using them as standalone APs or as lightweight APs in conjunction with a controller?

I'm not sure (I didn't set them up), but I'm guessing it's the second option.

We have a bunch in a hallway so you go from one to the other as you're walking somewhere (the LED goes from green to blue as it becomes the "active" one you're using).

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Xenomorph posted:

My work just dumped a ton of money into getting a bunch of Cisco 3502i access points. They seemed fine when they tested one.

However, after installing them (dozens), we've ran into one big problem: iPhones and iPads cannot connect (most of our mobile devices).

We get a bunch of "Unable to connect to xxx network" errors. If we try and retry and retry, eventually they connect. I'm talking 20+ attempts.

I found this page through a search:
http://www.101tech.net/2012/04/04/cant-connect-to-wlc-5508-and-3502-aps-using-iphone/

I also saw this:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2080311

iPhones don't use the 5GHz frequency, so I don't know if that would be an issue.

Other than those two things, anyone have any idea of what to look for or change to make this work?

To answer your question about controller, 3500+ series can't even be used without a controller. See here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10981/data_sheet_c78-594630.html

Stuff we've seen may be related to the iPads/iPhones seeing too many SSIDs and not gracefully connecting to the closest WAP (since they're all broadcasting the same thing). Setting found to help is under Controller>General>Fast SSID change (enable)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Fatal posted:

To answer your question about controller, 3500+ series can't even be used without a controller. See here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10981/data_sheet_c78-594630.html

Stuff we've seen may be related to the iPads/iPhones seeing too many SSIDs and not gracefully connecting to the closest WAP (since they're all broadcasting the same thing). Setting found to help is under Controller>General>Fast SSID change (enable)

I was just told "We did a test with this enabled and it seems to do the trick."

Hopefully, that's the end of it. I should know more later. Thanks!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Is it open authentication or WPA/WEP? We could not get apple products to connect unless we allowed them to connect with either AES or TKIP, I don't remember which one it ultimately worked with.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I just had this problem. Enabling Fast SSID change on the controller fixed it for me.

Supposedly 7.2.110.0 has better Apple support. I'm still on old locators so I have to stay on the 6 train (next stop: Brooklyn Bridge!)

:ninja: edit: beaten, but bolsters the case

real edit: those 3502s are monsters. Serious radio range.

bort fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 31, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Speaking of WLC, is there a way to change the idle timeout on individual SSIDs instead of just on the controller in general?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I could have sworn there was, but I don't have access to a controller anymore these days to check.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

bort posted:

I just had this problem. Enabling Fast SSID change on the controller fixed it for me.

Supposedly 7.2.110.0 has better Apple support. I'm still on old locators so I have to stay on the 6 train (next stop: Brooklyn Bridge!)

:ninja: edit: beaten, but bolsters the case

real edit: those 3502s are monsters. Serious radio range.

What kind of range? How many devices can be connected to one? The people installing them here are seriously putting them about 30 feet apart.

I have one dinky WRT54GL proving WiFi for my entire house, and in that same amount of space they'd have eight 3502i APs set up.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Xenomorph posted:

How many devices can be connected to one?
200 per radio is max, making it 400 for the AP. (yes performance will suck, bad)

Xenomorph posted:

I have one dinky WRT54GL proving WiFi for my entire house, and in that same amount of space they'd have eight 3502i APs set up.

That is because they build their network for capacity, not coverage.

ior fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 31, 2012

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Speaking of WLC, is there a way to change the idle timeout on individual SSIDs instead of just on the controller in general?

Yes, there is. It's under the Advanced tab on the wlan configuration.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Xenomorph posted:

I was just told "We did a test with this enabled and it seems to do the trick."

Hopefully, that's the end of it. I should know more later. Thanks!

Glad it worked! High density (or even just multiple AP wireless) is a tricky bitch. I'm just glad we don't do voice let alone asset tracking installs yet, that just sounds like a whole bunch of fun (every device must see at least 3 APs for asset)

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

What kind of range? How many devices can be connected to one? The people installing them here are seriously putting them about 30 feet apart.

That sounds hella dense and your b/g/2.4GHz channels are going to interfere with one another. The controller should power down all but three of those radios (1 is full power, 8 is almost none), if you're using RRM. However, your a/n/5GHz radios should be golden and you'll be able to throw video/phone traffic/whatever you want over that. That's why you put APs on a controller.

If you want to get serious, get Ekahau heatmapper (or Fluke, etc. if you have budget) and put yourself through a survey. That's really the only way you can see what's up -- even though WCS has heatmaps, they're not terribly reliable for decision making and you need to survey it with clients on it.

The other answer to "how many devices can connect to one" has to do with the uplink: how many clients do you want to link to a single 1Gbit connection? And how many of them are 2.4GHz clients that are competing for three non-overlapping channels? One problematic client can slow the rest down. The 3502s are pretty terrific at problem isolation, finding where bluetooth or microwaves or (in my case) radar are interfering with your wireless and dynamically working around that.

e: I have two of them in a 30-person office in Australia and the people go across the street to the coffee shop and still have wireless. :aaa:

ee: WLC best practices is a really good doc. I was especially happy with config ap syslog host global to log what my APs are doing.

bort fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 1, 2012

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

bort posted:

e: I have two of them in a 30-person office in Australia and the people go across the street to the coffee shop and still have wireless. :aaa:
One of our guys who lives in an apartment block close to where we work gets sufficient signal in his place to work from home on wifi. So jealous...

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here work for an MSP with a service or specialty on managing WANs? We are going to be replacing our MPLS WAN with a hodgepodge of Metro Ethernet providers. The company that does our circuit monitoring and who can give router config advice for these circuits is wanting a giant pile of money to continue doing so, $150/mo/site. Considering we have over 50 sites, we could easily hire a network guy just for this, possibly also a helpdesk guy as well with the price they are asking. Can anyone give me an estimate of what a reasonable price would be? The primary duties would be initial configuration assistance of the routers, monitoring them for downtime and interface errors, and being on standby to answer general to advanced networking questions regularly (less than 1 hour per month of this).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Is that 150/mo/site including the cost of the circuits? Because I'm not seeing how you are going to possibly be able to beat the price. Also what kind of bandwidth etc are you talking about?

Even our no frills, VPLS T1's are like 300/mo minimum, and often more.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I'm sure that's on top of the circuits and to be honest it's really not that excessive. I work for a MSP doing what you describe and providing the support you're talking aboout.

We're probably in that ballpark as far as CPE router/firewall/etc. management. I think our managed firewall service is $99/mo. or so. Routers are in that same area if I recall correctly. You're asking for skilled labor on demand so it costs a little bit of scratch.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Well, it's about 90k a year, so you _could_ hire a FTE.

But then you'll have to also incorporate payroll tax, health care, 401k contribution, equipment, yadda yadda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Powercrazy posted:

Is that 150/mo/site including the cost of the circuits? Because I'm not seeing how you are going to possibly be able to beat the price. Also what kind of bandwidth etc are you talking about?

Even our no frills, VPLS T1's are like 300/mo minimum, and often more.
It's $150/mo on top of the circuit cost. We are looking at a variety of circuits as no provider really covers our entire footprint, but they are in the 10-100mbps range. We have a number of sites getting 100mbps metro ethernet for $200/mo/ea. Crazy cheap compared to an average cost of $900/mo for MPLS/VPLS.