Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

What? You already had the money. In fact, you went on to spend half of it on a bike.

Now I'll admit, I can't really follow this thread very well so it's not clear to me if someone else backed into your car, or if you blew your budget on tires and control arms, and are just bitching about the original dent.

Either way, there's a third option, "what happened in reality," missing from your list: Pocket the rest of the money that you already had, or wait for your insurance to cover the costs. Again, you're an idiot spending money in the dumbest possible way, coming back to whine about it afterward. Worse, you're pulling your "woe is me" bullshit again. Sorry dude, but your poor life decisions contribute a lot to your current predicament. Stop being so stupid maybe?

I blew the budget on the control arm/tire debacle. Someone else also backed into my car, which hasn't cost me anything yet.

I had 200 dollars, the damage is worth four to six times that depending on the shop. The balance is what I'm concerned with at this point and I'm not very keen on going through insurance. How about we wait until I'm actually out the cost of the repair before we continue calling me an idiot? I don't know if I'm not explaining myself correctly or something, but there's a huge disconnect between the response in this thread and the response from people in real life. All of my friends think the situation is fine and I'm behaving normally regarding the dent.

It sounds like you think I made a poor decision by buying a cheap road bike to cut fuel and running costs on my car. What do you think I should do instead? Does that mean that I should sell my bike as soon as possible and... Walk? Run everywhere? Pocket the bike cash into the e fund and go back to driving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your story doesn't make any sense Tuyop.

Did you or did you not get money from the guy who hit your car?

If you did not, what did you buy your bike with?

Also if you did not, when are you going to get money from him?

Why do you need to actually fix your dent? Why can't you get an estimate for the repair cost and then have the guy give you that amount of money? If he's not willing to do that, his insurance company will.

Someone hit your car. That's not your fault. You deserve to be compensated. It should not be up to the other guy to decide how you are compensated. It's especially not up to him to decide that you have to tie up your own (meager) cash reserves until he gets around to paying for it.

You said you bought your bike with the money you got from the dent. That apparently isn't true. Why did you buy a bike with money you didn't have yet?

You are complaining that moving is going to cost money. Did you not anticipate this? Or are you just complaining that things cost money? You asked us to help you figure out how to pay for that. What do you expect people to say? Wish for the money you don't have and it might appear! I think you already know the answer. Either you don't spend the money (and don't move, I guess), or you do spend the money, in which case, you are either going to pull it out of your bank account/pockets/matress or you are going to have to get some money somewhere. Sell stuff, get another job, or borrow it.

Should you borrow it? Of course not you are broke and in mountains of debt.

But you already know what you're actually going to do. You're going to let this guy who hit your car walk all over you and in the meantime you've got no money to eat with. Your bike expense came out of your savings which you didn't budget for a bike (and you're going to be driving anyway). You're going to spend money moving and the only place you can get it is by running up your credit card(s) again. You're moving closer to your girlfriend and that's all that really matters to you, right?

What is this thread for?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm more interested in why it seems Tuyop has to buy new tires every six months. I swear I've read about new tires several other times in here.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Your story doesn't make any sense Tuyop.

Did you or did you not get money from the guy who hit your car?

If you did not, what did you buy your bike with?

Also if you did not, when are you going to get money from him?

Why do you need to actually fix your dent? Why can't you get an estimate for the repair cost and then have the guy give you that amount of money? If he's not willing to do that, his insurance company will.

Someone hit your car. That's not your fault. You deserve to be compensated. It should not be up to the other guy to decide how you are compensated. It's especially not up to him to decide that you have to tie up your own (meager) cash reserves until he gets around to paying for it.

You said you bought your bike with the money you got from the dent. That apparently isn't true. Why did you buy a bike with money you didn't have yet?

You are complaining that moving is going to cost money. Did you not anticipate this? Or are you just complaining that things cost money? You asked us to help you figure out how to pay for that. What do you expect people to say? Wish for the money you don't have and it might appear! I think you already know the answer. Either you don't spend the money (and don't move, I guess), or you do spend the money, in which case, you are either going to pull it out of your bank account/pockets/matress or you are going to have to get some money somewhere. Sell stuff, get another job, or borrow it.

But you already know what you're actually going to do. You're going to let this guy who hit your car walk all over you and in the meantime you've got no money to eat with. Your bike expense came out of your savings which you didn't budget for a bike (and you're going to be driving anyway). You're going to spend money moving and the only place you can get it is by running up your credit card(s) again. You're moving closer to your girlfriend and that's all that really matters to you, right?

What is this thread for?

I'm pretty sure the guy who hit Tuyop's car gave Tuyop 200 bucks or so as a "down payment" on the car repairs. This is the money that got used on the bike. The guy then said "I'm not paying for the rest of the repair until you get it fixed. Then I will reimburse you."

Presumably Tuyop thought that the guy would just give him cash for the repair job, and then he could pocket the cash (which would be the correct thing to do, since he is broke). Instead, the guy changed his story and decided "I won't pay you until I see a receipt from the body shop" because the guy is a poo poo bag. Now Tuyop is left in the position where he either lets the dent sit as-is and gets nothing beyond the $200 he has already received, or he gets it fixed and gets reimbursed for the cost, less the $200 he has already been paid. This would be more-or-less ok if Tuyop was staying afloat financially, but having to float the $600 or so while he waits for his idiot friend to pay him back may end up breaking Tuyop financially.

Tuyop, by agreeing to this retarded car repair payment plan you are essentially offering your "friend" a 0% interest loan for the cost of the repairs, on a promise that he will pay you back at some point. Someone in your financial situation should not be loaning money to anyone.

You should go to your friend with an estimate and have him pay the body shop directly if he is somehow worried about you screwing him over on the repair bill. If he has the money and intends to pay you, why would he not agree to this plan?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
This is why I don't have friends.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Wait, hold on. His friend is not the rear end in a top hat for not forking the money over right away to Tuyop if I understand this correctly.

The friend backed into his vehicle and as a way of saying sorry, he put down $200 with the promise of repairing the vehicle.

Tuyop took the cash and pocketed it without caring about the damage to the vehicle.

Tuyop is now expecting an additional $600-800 so he can pocket the difference instead of repairing the car.

The friend does not want to put the money into Tuyop's pocket (and rightfully so!) and would rather see the money in the car repairs.

Really, Tuyop is the rear end in a top hat here. Not the friend.

Get an estimate and bring the friend to the repair shop to pay for the cost minus $200 and pay the rest yourself.

You tool.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quaint bucket posted:

The friend does not want to put the money into Tuyop's pocket (and rightfully so!) and would rather see the money in the car repairs.

Why the hell not?

When someone ran into my truck (and fled the scene and was not caught), my insurance company got an estimate of the damage and cut me a check. It was up to me to decide whether I wanted the money or to repair the truck.

Why should it be up to Tuyop's friend how he decides to use the compensation? His responsibility is to "make him whole." This is what the guy's insurance company would do.

Tuyop is already doing his buddy a favor by allowing him to settle this without an insurance claim. He doesn't need to do him additional favors by fronting the expense of the repair, and then actually getting the repair done, rather than accepting cash settlement.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

quaint bucket posted:

Wait, hold on. His friend is not the rear end in a top hat for not forking the money over right away to Tuyop if I understand this correctly.

The friend backed into his vehicle and as a way of saying sorry, he put down $200 with the promise of repairing the vehicle.

Tuyop took the cash and pocketed it without caring about the damage to the vehicle.

Tuyop is now expecting an additional $600-800 so he can pocket the difference instead of repairing the car.

Get an estimate and bring the friend to the repair shop to pay for the cost minus $200 and pay the rest yourself.

You tool.

Whether Tuyop uses the money to repair his car or he uses it to pay for his move, the friend still caused $800 worth of damage, which he owes to Tuyop. Tuyop isn't an rear end in a top hat for asking to be made whole just because he has higher priority expenses than repairing a small ding on his car; Tuyop desperately needs the money for other purposes. It shouldn't make a difference to the friend how the money gets spent. Either way, the friend has paid out $800 in compensation for the $800 in damages that he caused.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Why should it be up to Tuyop's friend how he decides to use the compensation? His responsibility is to "make him whole." This is what the guy's insurance company would do.

Tuyop is already doing his buddy a favor by allowing him to settle this without an insurance claim. He doesn't need to do him additional favors by fronting the expense of the repair, and then actually getting the repair done, rather than accepting cash settlement.

Don't fool yourself into thinking Tuyop is doing his buddy a favour not going through the insurance company. The buddy would have the option of either letting the insurance company pay for it (and consequently his insurance company would make him pay through premiums) or pay out of pocket to Tuyop. The only difference is that the insurance company would look out for Tuyop and his buddy to make sure nobody got screwed in the process.

Make him whole, my rear end. The money was for the repairs, not for Tuyop's constant screw ups and "bad luck."

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

quaint bucket posted:

Make him whole, my rear end. The money was for the repairs, not for Tuyop's constant screw ups and "bad luck."

No, the money is for the damage to the car. If this had gone through insurance, as it should have, the friend wouldn't have the right to dictate how Tuyop spends his insurance payout. Doing it informally doesn't give him any additional rights (but he seems to think it does, which is exactly why avoiding insurance is a bad idea for Tuyop).

Badger Pudding
Jan 11, 2007

My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary.

Leperflesh posted:

What is this thread for?

tuyop posted:

July was a brutal loving month. My savings were decimated. A dude ran into my car, almost all of my efforts to save money - including biking to work and getting a second job - were defeated by the cosmos. I also moved to a place closer to work and had a bit of a mental breakdown. Consequently, I'm being posted to Borden (Toronto-area) in September. Dates aren't firm, but I expect to be out of here by 10 Sept. I have pretty much no idea what will come of this financially. Housing costs in Angus (the "G" is silent) and Alliston are inflated because of the nearby base, but the girlfriend/fiancee/toeshoes and I are looking and it looks like we should be able to find a room or apartment for 250-350/month. I can also start going to school next May (for free, probably) and getting on with my loving life.

I'm somewhat under the impression that he doesn't really have a choice to move, and it's not to be closer to his girlfriend, that just happens to be a perk. This is something he cannot control.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

tuyop posted:

Well when the options are:

1: Have a dent in my car and no extra money. The dent reduces the value of my car by an amount that is proportional to the cost of the repair.

2: Pay to have the dent repaired with someone else's money. My car will not lose value and I won't have any extra money.

In either case, I won't get a bunch of money for having my car damaged. Oh well. At least in 2 I don't have a big dent in my door. Unless you're suggesting that I just make my own receipt from a fake body shop or something.

Except that in (1) you have a pile of cash that can be spent on things such as moving expenses or perhaps even food that is considered safe for human consumption. Do you really need to have other people to explain to you why it's better to have $800 in cash rather than sunk into a car that you can't sell?

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

Badger Pudding posted:

I'm somewhat under the impression that he doesn't really have a choice to move, and it's not to be closer to his girlfriend, that just happens to be a perk. This is something he cannot control.

Well if he's being posted, the CF pays all of his moving costs and gives him all kinds of fat cash. Am I missing something here, because generally moving with the CF is quite profitable.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

CanadianSuperKing posted:

Well if he's being posted, the CF pays all of his moving costs and gives him all kinds of fat cash. Am I missing something here, because generally moving with the CF is quite profitable.

No longer the case since 6+ months ago. It was only profitable if you deliberately overestimate the amount of stuff you're moving so you can pocket the difference.

Devious_05
Jul 3, 2007

quaint bucket posted:

You tool.
Is this serious? Holy poo poo his friend damaged his car and he's the rear end in a top hat? Who cares how he spends the compensation money? So long as its a legititmate amount similar to the repair cost anyway.

As mentioned earlier Tuyop you seem to have the worst luck, though some of it does seem self made.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I can understand looking like the bad guy if you think that the repair only costs 200 dollars. It doesn't. The repair is worth at least 800 dollars, two shops said 1025 and 1215, actually.

He's going to send me an additional 300 bucks next week, then the total of the balance once I get the repair done. I'd still really rather have the cost of the repair, but that doesn't seem to be an option with this guy. Short of going into the past and filing a police report and poo poo, I guess not having a dent is the best that I can hope for from this situation. It's still money when I sell the car, the difference is just two weeks less time saving or paying off debt, not that big of a deal.

Regarding my move, I think my posting status is very prohibitive, I'm getting the message today or tomorrow so I'll know more then. At this point I just have to clear out of base and pack up my things.

I'm pretty sure I figured out how not to spend 500 bucks on this move. It's like that wolf, sheep, cabbage game except that my computer is not going to eat my coffee maker if I leave them alone.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

tuyop posted:

Yeah, I can understand looking like the bad guy if you think that the repair only costs 200 dollars. It doesn't. The repair is worth at least 800 dollars, two shops said 1025 and 1215, actually.

He's going to send me an additional 300 bucks next week, then the total of the balance once I get the repair done. I'd still really rather have the cost of the repair, but that doesn't seem to be an option with this guy. Short of going into the past and filing a police report and poo poo, I guess not having a dent is the best that I can hope for from this situation. It's still money when I sell the car, the difference is just two weeks less time saving or paying off debt, not that big of a deal.

Regarding my move, I think my posting status is very prohibitive, I'm getting the message today or tomorrow so I'll know more then. At this point I just have to clear out of base and pack up my things.

I'm pretty sure I figured out how not to spend 500 bucks on this move. It's like that wolf, sheep, cabbage game except that my computer is not going to eat my coffee maker if I leave them alone.
File the insurance claim for the $1215. This isn't even a question.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

No kidding. This is why you pay for insurance, Tuyop. This is how it works. You may not even have to report it to the police first. Go to your insurer, tell them what you know, and ask them if they need you to file a police report in order for them to pursue a claim. Give them your estimates, tell them you've been given $200 toward it and would like the balance in a cheque so you can take care of the damage yourself.

They may want to send you to a garage affiliated with them to get their own estimate, but it's still likely to be higher than $500 even if it's not as high as the estimates you have.

This guy's being shady as gently caress and you're not obligated to do him any favors to keep his premiums down. He ran into your car. (Is he trying to avoid the insurance route because he was drunk when it happened? You mentioned it was after a party.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

bombhand posted:

(Is he trying to avoid the insurance route because he was drunk when it happened? You mentioned it was after a party.)

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Ok, I don't know for sure, but I'd bet money that it's the case.

I get trying to do your friend a favor, but you can't do it at the price of loving yourself over. Call him, explain the situation to him ("you've caused X$ worth of damage to my car, please send me a cheque for X-200$.") and if he won't cooperate, welp, call your insurance.

Friends help friends kind of assume that the helping goes both ways.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

tuyop posted:

Just to be perfectly clear about this:

-If you went through an insurance company, they would cut you a check for the value of the repairs and you could do whatever you want with it.

-You are trying to do him a favor by not going through insurance companies.

-In return, he is saying that he'll give you part of the value upfront, and the rest after you get repairs (he won't).

If you want the cash and not the repair (which you should), I don't even get how this is a dilemma. Your stance shouldn't be: "he won't pay me unless I get the repair, so I have to get the repair." It should be: "Unless he pays me, I'll go through insurance." You are going to put your car in for repair and then not be able to afford the bill because he is not going to pay you. That is what is going to happen.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

You don't understand. The value of friendship is stronger than the dollar and life crushing debt.

You just don't understand.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah, don't you see how well tuyop has been doing up till now by not listening to advice here? And like he said, his echo chamber oops I mean real life friends are all telling him it's okay.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
My favorite part of tuyop's thread has been his lame justifications of "my family/peers/hometown is as bad off as I am, so I can't possibly be that bad off"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Ah yes taking free financial advice from people that are heavily in debt. Yes that's a well considered idea.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I don't even understand people's reluctance to file insurance claims against friends. I mean, this is precisely why we pay premiums, to spread out risk. Let's say this gets reported and the repairs cost $1200. The person's premium may go up like $50-$100/year. So it would take 12 years of increased premiums for him to be out of pocket $1200. I am pretty sure $1200 today is worth more than $1200 12 years from now. He is actually worse off by choosing this path, all in the name of keeping premiums low. Hell, even if his I durance goes up $200/year, he is still better off.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

archangelwar posted:

I don't even understand people's reluctance to file insurance claims against friends. I mean, this is precisely why we pay premiums, to spread out risk. Let's say this gets reported and the repairs cost $1200. The person's premium may go up like $50-$100/year. So it would take 12 years of increased premiums for him to be out of pocket $1200. I am pretty sure $1200 today is worth more than $1200 12 years from now. He is actually worse off by choosing this path, all in the name of keeping premiums low. Hell, even if his I durance goes up $200/year, he is still better off.

In his defense I don't think Americans understand how much more we pay in insurance in Canada and how sensitive our rates are. I have a six year spotless insurance record, university degree (there's a discount for this), and drive a 1993 Volvo, and my rates are like $1500 a year. If I got in an accident that could easily double.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Corrupt Cypher posted:

In his defense I don't think Americans understand how much more we pay in insurance in Canada and how sensitive our rates are. I have a six year spotless insurance record, university degree (there's a discount for this), and drive a 1993 Volvo, and my rates are like $1500 a year. If I got in an accident that could easily double.

New Brunswick has really low car insurance rates compared to the rest of the country, I think the average is like $700 a year or something.

The counter argument is you have to live in New Brunswick to get those low rates.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

HookShot posted:

The counter argument is you have to live in New Brunswick to get those low rates.

Better than Manitoba.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

quaint bucket posted:

Better than Manitoba.

People live in Manitoba?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

quaint bucket posted:

Better than Manitoba.
I've never lived in Manitoba!

Though of course this brings up a new expense: when Tuyop moves to Ontario his car insurance premiums are probably going to double since he's now moving to the province with the highest car insurance rates in Canada.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't wish Manitoba on my worst enemy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Got paid for the dent, 850 bucks, August update on the way tonight or tomorrow!

:smug:

Serious edit:

Actually you guys really helped with this, I didn't know the whole insurance procedure or that I was entitled to a straight cheque under normal circumstances. I would say that the "make whole" terminology was particularly useful in bringing the dude who backed into me and me to the same place. So thank you very much!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 7, 2012

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Every time I'm ready to just completely give up on you, tuyop, you go and actually listen to someone (after a lot of sass that implies you won't) and then I have to stay subscribed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Guys, why does this stuff keep happening to me?

Called my local glass place, it's like 625 to repair. Obviously this has to happen soon.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

You've got bad carma.

You really should look into buying a horse instead.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.
This is approaching schleprock levels of lovely luck.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Tuyop, have you considered remaining completely stationary? It's become clear to me that the universe simply does not intend for you to transport yourself anywhere.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

tuyop posted:

Called my local glass place, it's like 625 to repair. Obviously this has to happen soon.

Isn't this covered in your insurance? You shouldn't have to spend more than $300 deductible through your comphrensive insurance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

quaint bucket posted:

Isn't this covered in your insurance? You shouldn't have to spend more than $300 deductible through your comphrensive insurance.

Yes, but my deductible is 1000 dollars. I called them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

What exactly happened? It looks like an elephant sat on your car.

• Locked thread