Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

Noghri_ViR posted:

Yep, I took the time to play around with the schedule builder this morning:

I think my brain will be adequately fried by Thursday afternoon.

We will be in at least a couple of the same sessions. I'm just getting my crap together for this trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone have the vSphere client working well in Windows8 yet? The install fails saying it requires XP SP3 or higher. There's some forums posts saying you can get it somewhat working with XP compatibility mode, but some features like connecting to consoles and mounting local DVD drives are broken.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Mierdaan posted:

VMware vSphere 5.1 to include shared-nothing live migration (scroll down for the actual article)
Shared-nothing migrations? Sounds good to me.
kinda figured they'd have that since Hyper-V in 2012 has it

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

:toot: No more vRAM licensing, no move to per-core licensing :toot:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

luminalflux posted:

:toot: No more vRAM licensing, no move to per-core licensing :toot:
A :toot: if there ever was one

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Document dump, via Duncan Epping:

What’s New in VMware vSphere 5.1
What’s new in VMware vCenter 5.1
What’s New in VMware vSphere 5.1 – Networking
What’s New in VMware vSphere 5.1 – Platform
What’s New in VMware vSphere 5.1 – Storage
What’s New in VMware vSphere 5.1 – Performance
Introduction to VMware vSphere Replication
Introduction to VMware vSphere Data Protection
What’s new in VMware vSphere Storage Appliance
What’s new in vCloud Director 5.1

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Honestly this means I can actually migrate to 5.1, or at least think about it. The vDS changes look sweet as well (LACP, mirroring), but I'm kinda waiting for the Nicira tech to be integrated.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Any word yet on license levels associated with the new features?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Any word yet on license levels associated with the new features?

All I've read so far is they're rolling a lot of the paid features into one SKU, vCloud Suite 5.1, and Enterprise Plus customers get a free upgrade to the Standard version or a discount on an upgrade to the Enterprise version.

edit: source

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mierdaan posted:

All I've read so far is they're rolling a lot of the paid features into one SKU, vCloud Suite 5.1, and Enterprise Plus customers get a free upgrade to the Standard version or a discount on an upgrade to the Enterprise version.

edit: source

Ha, kept trying to convince my boss to upgrade to Enterprise Plus, but that bucket always mysteriously disappeared every year. :(

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hopefully the web client won't be a crippled piece of poo poo like the iPad app. It'll be nice to be able to actually manage things without installing the vSphere client or do anything at all from a Mac.

vvv FFFFFFFFF

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 27, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
It's an Adobe Flex app, so

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

I won't say anything about the client usability, but the console for your VM will be much better.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DevNull posted:

I won't say anything about the client usability, but the console for your VM will be much better.
People actually use that after setup? Serious question.

The only consoles I use are for my local fusion VMs.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Server 2008 Core servers are the main reason I use consoles

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Did they give a release date for ESXi 5.1 yet? I cannot seem to find anything on that.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

September 11th.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

complex posted:

September 11th.

~we remembered

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

People actually use that after setup? Serious question.

The only consoles I use are for my local fusion VMs.

Have you not used the console because it sucked, or because there was never a need to?

If you never used it before it sucked, that issue should be gone. The remote console is the same that is in WS. Connecting to an ESX VM with WS gives a really good experience. I guess VMworld has a demo setup of Borderlands playing on an ESX machines, connected to it with WS9 which just released. I am headed up tomorrow to check it out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DevNull posted:

Have you not used the console because it sucked, or because there was never a need to?
Never a need: we just punch in an IP and RDP forever after. And once you have vmwtools installed it's pretty good.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Never a need: we just punch in an IP and RDP forever after. And once you have vmwtools installed it's pretty good.

OK, well this way you don't have to use RDP if you won't want to. It works with any VM as well, not just Windows.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DevNull posted:

OK, well this way you don't have to use RDP if you won't want to. It works with any VM as well, not just Windows.
Right. It's just easier to manage rights for RDP and guard consoles with our lives. Non-cluster unix hosts are through SSH.

TBH I've never really had complaints with the consoles except when it created its own problems (BSOD with wmw drivers and the like).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
How long does everyone out here wait from a new version of ESXi releasing until they start upgrading their production hosts?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

DevNull posted:

Both: I'm on a mac so I need to RDP in to a windows machine to use the vCenter client, and once the machine is cloned we do everything over SSH.

The key repeat sucks so bad over RDP and the client so even logging in is hard.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
I can't see a lot of shops (<1000 VMs) continuing to pay for Veeam, vRanger, PHD Virtual, etc. with the new, improved VDP (VDR Replacement) and built-in replication.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

three posted:

I can't see a lot of shops (<1000 VMs) continuing to pay for Veeam, vRanger, PHD Virtual, etc. with the new, improved VDP (VDR Replacement) and built-in replication.
After how VDR and the VSA worked, I'm not even considering replacing PHD Virtual with anything VMware-branded until they seriously prove the poo poo in production.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Misogynist posted:

After how VDR and the VSA worked, I'm not even considering replacing PHD Virtual with anything VMware-branded until they seriously prove the poo poo in production.

Seems like they learned their lesson this time and let people that have actually written backup software (EMC's Avamar team) handle this.

We'd save around $15k/year on support renewals by ditching vRanger for this, if it's as good as hyped.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

If it does end up being great then I'm a little pissy that we made a huge initial investment in PHD Virtual this year, but something that's able to back up 1.2 TB of VMs using less than 8,000,000 inodes on its NFS share would sure be handy from an administration perspective. I'm sure they'll be playing feature-catchup for awhile yet, though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If I'm reading the new pricing brochure correctly, they've changed the vSphere Standard SKU to include Storage vMotion. Which suggests to me that you get the "shared nothing" vMotion with Standard, too. If so that kind of rules.

Edit: Standard gets you the new backup tool to play with, too, it seems.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 27, 2012

geera
May 20, 2003

Noghri_ViR posted:

Yep, I took the time to play around with the schedule builder this morning:

I think my brain will be adequately fried by Thursday afternoon.
Quoting from almost a month ago, but don't bother with the 9:30 on Wednesday (SMB tasks). It was just a product shill for a new VMware acquire. The presentation only lasted a half hour and could've been half as long. Read the course description in your schedule and you"ll know everything that was presented except the pricing.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Here's the list of cool things I just sent out to the team:

1) Licensing - No more vRAM, back to the old license-per-socket model. Yay!

2) Licensing - Storage vMotion and share-nothing vMotion are both included in STANARD. Yay!

3) Share-nothing vMotion - Speaking of, you can vMotion between two hosts WITHOUT shared storage. The catch: you still need vCenter, and it takes a LONG time (has to copy the whole VMDK).

4) VMWare Tools - No longer requires a reboot to update (after you install the 5.1 tools, heh).

5) vSphere Web Client - The Web Client is back.

6) Backups - Based on EMC Avamar tech, VMWare can now back VMs up directly to disk and includes dedupe and does not require agents.

7) Networking - vSphere will now support LACP. Yay!

8) Networking - You can now do port-mirroring (for monitoring devices) and IPFIX/Netflow to remote hosts for monitoring.

9) Graphics - The ability to leverage specific NVIDIA GPUs for 3D performance.

10) Storage - Parallel storage vMotions. Previously all storage vMotions were serial (one at a time).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

This forever. Everyone hates that stuff.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

madsushi posted:

9) Graphics - The ability to leverage specific NVIDIA GPUs for 3D performance.

Is this for View? We recently did an initial test of View, and after 30 seconds of dragging a window around the screen, we threw up a little in our mouths and put it on the back burner.

As for shared-nothing vMotion, are there restrictions? Like, can I move a running VM to my DR site 500 miles away through a 35mb/s tunnel?

edit: VVV I'm not sure I can think of a use case for WAN vMotion, so meh v:shobon:v

Erwin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 28, 2012

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

madsushi posted:

3) Share-nothing vMotion - Speaking of, you can vMotion between two hosts WITHOUT shared storage. The catch: you still need vCenter, and it takes a LONG time (has to copy the whole VMDK).

If I understood correctly, this is going to require the Web client, and will not be available in the native Win client.

Erwin posted:

Is this for View? We recently did an initial test of View, and after 30 seconds of dragging a window around the screen, we threw up a little in our mouths and put it on the back burner.

As for shared-nothing vMotion, are there restrictions? Like, can I move a running VM to my DR site 500 miles away through a 35mb/s tunnel?

I think it is still LAN only, but I can try to find out specifically.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

miklm posted:

If I understood correctly, this is going to require the Web client, and will not be available in the native Win client.

I wonder what the logic behind this would be? I am pretty keen keeping with a standard windows client fully functional.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I for one can't wait for features limited to lovely web clients.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Does the web client still require a separate VM to serve it up like it does in 5? :allears:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Erwin posted:

The 3D performance was garbage or the remoting performance was bad?

I was the QA lead for the 3D acceleration project until a few months ago. I left that team though and I am now working on the dev side doing the remoting. Not PCoIP, but the remote console stuff that is in WebUI and vSphere client. That code is part of the core team that does 3D/mouse/keyboard. We don't touch PCoIP, and actually can't legally work on it.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Also, I am going to be at VMworld tomorrow. I'll be wearing a blue button up with short sleeves and pink/white stripes. I have a giant octopus tattoo on my right forearm, so I am pretty easy to pick out of a crowd. Say hi, and I will give you all the good VMware gossip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

DevNull posted:

Also, I am going to be at VMworld tomorrow. I'll be wearing a blue button up with short sleeves and pink/white stripes. I have a giant octopus tattoo on my right forearm, so I am pretty easy to pick out of a crowd. Say hi, and I will give you all the good VMware gossip.

Going to be at the VMware booth in the solution exchange or out and about at various sessions?

If I see you I may stop over and offer you a beer.