Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

CravingSolace posted:

I would have loved to have a doula. I just don't know if we could afford to hire one at this point. Our instructor yesterday was also a doula, and I have her number and email address if I have any questions.

Start putting the feelers out for a student doula. They generally offer their services for free or at least at a very reduced rate.

vvv Yeah, I used one of those pregnancy support belts. It did help my pelvis. It works basically by just holding the baby up somewhat, so not all of his weight is on your pelvis. It wasn't 100% relief, by any means, but it did help some.

Amelia Song fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Folks who have had pelvic/back pain--did you try any kind of support belts? Did they do any good? Did you wait for recommendations from your doctor, or did you just figure "dang, my pelvis and back hurt, let me try this?"

My back is getting bad again, and just now after walking around the block (seriously, that's all it took) I started getting some pain in the front/pubic bone area as well. I haven't really asked my doctor or the nurses about it.

...premature birth is sounding better and better. Oh man, I feel way too huge and tired and achy to be only 29 weeks along.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

If you've got a ring sling (or a woven wrap) sitting around you can use it for a "belly sling". Made me feel a lotbetter when I was getting big and achy. I imagine a support belt would do the same sort of thing, and you'll look less like a giant, preggo hippie. :)

Another thing you could try is the rebozo sifting method from Spinningbabies.com. It should help take the weight of your belly off of your back for a bit. Here's the link: http://www.spinningbabies.com/techniques/activities-for-fetal-positioning/rebozo-sifting

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I haven't used any support belts, but I've heard good things from people who have. At this point I'm using different positions, heat, tylenol and massage for my back pain.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

sheri posted:

Is a little bit of brown spotting anything I should be overly concerned with? I am about 6 weeks pregnant, and this morning I have had some slight spotting going on. Nothing bright red, and not a lot. Hopefully it ends soon. I don't have any other issues going on as far as cramping, etc at this point.

That sounds normal. I had some light spotting on and off throughout the first few months. So long as it isn't heavy, bright red or coupled with bad cramping then you should be okay. Brown means old blood, too. So possibly left-over implantation blood?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

MoCookies posted:

If you've got a ring sling (or a woven wrap) sitting around you can use it for a "belly sling". Made me feel a lotbetter when I was getting big and achy. I imagine a support belt would do the same sort of thing, and you'll look less like a giant, preggo hippie. :)

There's a thought! I'll dig up the wraps and slings I have from my daughter--at any rate I can rig something that might be enough of a test to see if it works at all. Thanks.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

...premature birth is sounding better and better. Oh man, I feel way too huge and tired and achy to be only 29 weeks along.

I'm 29 weeks myself and I literally feel your pain. Tylenol and massage aren't doing crap for me and I shuffle around like a penguin right now.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
So my son is 1 week old now. He's pretty much the perfect newborn and I have nothing to complain about as far as his behavior. It's mine that I am concerned about. I can not stop checking on him while he's sleeping. I keep thinking I need to make sure he's breathing, or not choking. It's silly, and I'd love to be able to use this time to do chores instead of worrying like crazy. Will I get over this?

I love him so much.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Awesome Kristin posted:

Will I get over this?

Maybe after the first few years. :haw: No, but in all seriousness it's why I love having the baby in the room with us in the co-sleeper (well, that and the convenience of not having to get up out of bed in the middle of the night multiple times for feedings).

It also gets better as you have more kids, btw. At least, it did for me.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

LOL Charlotte is so fat and sassy!

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

MoCookies posted:

I used my Moby. The support belts I tried were uncomfortable in the extreme--too stiff, poked & chafed me--but the Moby was way better for me. I hate anything tight or confining and the Moby had enough give that I didn't feel that way but was supportive enough to help the pain a little. Also with the swishy ends of the wrap hanging off my hip I felt pretty cool doing my bellydance and yoga exercises :D (I did not wear this outside my house, though.)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Awesome Kristin posted:

So my son is 1 week old now. He's pretty much the perfect newborn and I have nothing to complain about as far as his behavior. It's mine that I am concerned about. I can not stop checking on him while he's sleeping. I keep thinking I need to make sure he's breathing, or not choking. It's silly, and I'd love to be able to use this time to do chores instead of worrying like crazy. Will I get over this?

:3 What a cutie! That's completely normal. What kind of monitor do you have? Maybe try turning the volume up? I swear the only thing that kept my husband sane was our video monitor. It's super loud and super sensitive, so you can see and hear the baby breathing.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 15, 2019

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Cathis posted:

I'm 29 weeks myself and I literally feel your pain. Tylenol and massage aren't doing crap for me and I shuffle around like a penguin right now.

As I recall you've been having it much worse than me. Argh. I did try wrapping up with a stretchy-cloth sling and it helped a little; it's a wee bit too silly-looking (and hot) for me to want to wear it outside, though, so it's not much help with walking. Very frustrating to be so limited in my walks, since it's about the only form of exercise I really, really enjoy. Plus it's getting damned hard to run after a bolting three-year-old.

Unrelated note, just as a follow-up from the earlier discussion: the AAP has released its new statement on circumcision. This page has links to free PDFs of the policy statement and the 32-page technical statement.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
I've been tasked with figuring out the baby carrier situation for my upcoming boy. It's hard to evaluate the Bjorns and Ergobabies and whatever without an actual infant to store in one. My understanding is that front-loading carriers where the baby faces you is the best option for both me and mom. Any opinions?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Among front carriers where the baby faces you, I liked the Bjorn fine when the kidlet was very small, but I found that the Ergo carrier was designed way better in terms of distributing weight usefully--for instance, letting your hips take some of it. Much more useful in the long run.

How many of y'all got good at single-handedly setting a carrier up with the kidlet behind you? I never got the hang of it. Any tips?

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
Quick question involving looking for work:
At what point is it necessary to divulge to a potential employer that you're pregnant? I have a few interviews coming up (just lost my job, really don't want to be dependent on unemployment) and am not sure where that line falls. I'm 12 weeks in -- hearing that I need leave 6 months out will probably be a dealkiller for most employers, but I don't know at what point I need to actually tell them. Also, if I do get a job somewhere, when and how should I break that news? I imagine even if I start showing, people will assume I'm just fat because of the whole beard thing.

This is complicated in ways I never expected. :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
You're not required to disclose that you're pregnant in interviews and it's illegal for them to use your pregnancy against you in any way. From their perspective, you taking a 6-week maternity leave is identical to any other employee taking a disability leave. This is assuming you're US of course.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Copernic posted:

I've been tasked with figuring out the baby carrier situation for my upcoming boy. It's hard to evaluate the Bjorns and Ergobabies and whatever without an actual infant to store in one. My understanding is that front-loading carriers where the baby faces you is the best option for both me and mom. Any opinions?

Do you live near a Buy Buy Baby? they have models out that you can try on. I've heard the same thing about facing the baby towards you. I have an Ergo, a balboa sling, and a moby. The Moby was most useful when my baby was super little. The Ergo was great from maybe 2 months and up (with the insert), and is SO comfortable. I can easily do a full day at the zoo with him in it, and he's nearly 20 lbs now. I think the balboa sling is really only good for quick errands. It's also the style that was recalled a while back, and is not safe for newborns, despite the misleading pictures on the box. If I were going to do it again, I'd just get the Ergo sport, because I've heard that it's less warm. I haven't had an issue, but more airflow always seems like a nice thing.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Baby Bjorns and other baby carriers that sort of slim down at the bottom so that all of the baby's weight is on his crotch and his legs dangle down are not generally well-respected among baby wearers. While the jury is still out as to whether they are unsafe or not for development, it does make sense that a baby would be more comfortable with his legs and butt supported than just to have his weight all on his crotch. Outward facing is also frowned upon by serious baby wearers, as it is too easy for the baby to get overstimulated. Ergos and Becos are the most well known of the more structured carriers, and Moby wraps and other wraps are also great. We use a mei tai a lot too, which is like a structured carrier, except with ties instead of buckles.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

Daemoxx posted:

I wanted to make sure you've also found the Trans Megathread in E/N to hopefully be another place of support for you. Ignore me if you have already :)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I have an Ergo Performance (one of the lighter-weight models), and I'm theoretically all for babywearing, but I can't manage to get that buckle that goes behind my neck snapped when he's in the Ergo. Is there some kind of trick to it?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

I have an Ergo Performance (one of the lighter-weight models), and I'm theoretically all for babywearing, but I can't manage to get that buckle that goes behind my neck snapped when he's in the Ergo. Is there some kind of trick to it?

What do you mean? They just click together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjxcJR18D0 YouTube has a bunch of videos so hopefully that'll help! It helped a bunch with the wrap I use. If you have t-rex arms then you might be sol.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 27, 2012

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]

Beichan posted:

I wanted to make sure you've also found the Trans Megathread in E/N to hopefully be another place of support for you. Ignore me if you have already :)

poo poo, I'd pretty much forgotten about that thread. Thanks!

There's only one more thing that's really tripping me up: I'm 5' even. The midwife told me I might run into some complications due to size, but that we'd deal with any of that when we came to it. I know a standard birth is still doable at that height since my mother is shorter than I am, but does anyone have any experience with extra complications during pregnancy due to size? I'm already showing about as much as my taller friend did at 16-20 weeks, despite not having gained any weight, so I'm kind of wondering how far this is going to go.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Hey is it kosher to dye my hair? I'm 16 weeks on Friday and my roots look like poo poo.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I need to figure out what sort of baby carrier we're going to get. My mom picked us up one of these already. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty-kids%E2%84%A2-explorer-carrier~p~85904/ since we do a lot of hiking. I was also looking at a baby hawk mei tai. It says they're good for newborns up to 45 pounds, but I don't know how well a newborn actually would work in one. I was thinking about getting a moby wrap too.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Daemoxx posted:

poo poo, I'd pretty much forgotten about that thread. Thanks!

There's only one more thing that's really tripping me up: I'm 5' even. The midwife told me I might run into some complications due to size, but that we'd deal with any of that when we came to it. I know a standard birth is still doable at that height since my mother is shorter than I am, but does anyone have any experience with extra complications during pregnancy due to size? I'm already showing about as much as my taller friend did at 16-20 weeks, despite not having gained any weight, so I'm kind of wondering how far this is going to go.

I'm also short, and nobody mentioned anything about height being a complication for either of my pregnancies, and I didn't end up with any complications at either delivery. I think an easier delivery has more to do with the size of your pelvic opening than anything else, and that isn't something you determine based on height.

Alterian posted:

I need to figure out what sort of baby carrier we're going to get. My mom picked us up one of these already. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty-kids%E2%84%A2-explorer-carrier~p~85904/ since we do a lot of hiking. I was also looking at a baby hawk mei tai. It says they're good for newborns up to 45 pounds, but I don't know how well a newborn actually would work in one. I was thinking about getting a moby wrap too.

I wore both kids from about a week old in a Babyhawk. It works great for birth through toddler. You can roll the bottom once to make the body shorter for a newborn or if you have a short torso, if you want.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
I have been lurking on here for a few months while my wife has been pregnant with our first baby. It was smooth sailing till 2 weeks ago. She was just shy of 30 weeks and felt the baby drop and having menstrual cramps. She went to the hospital for fear of having the baby right then. She had some test and was told she was very near having a premature birth (can't recall the test name because all medical talk sounds like gibberish to me). Now she is on bed rest and very unhappy about it.

We got our third and final ultra sound a few days ago and the baby's head is right on her cervix. She says when she stands up she can feel the baby drop a bit. The doctor is monitoring her weekly. Is there anything I should be doing other than making sure she stays in bed and comfortable? Is this fairly normal? I am a little nervous/scared that our kid will be born premature.

From reading the thread I have an idea of what the birthing experience should be like. Any tips on stuff to put in our day packs for the hospital? Right now I just have shampoo, soap, deodorant and a change of clothes for the both of us.

Side note: We do not know the gender because the kid is stubborn and would not open their legs. Wife is already making jokes the kid will be like me. Victory!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

That's good to know. I have a long torso unfortunately. I also thought it would be handy to have two in case one gets vomited on or something.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
I'm really enjoying my Baby K'tan. No wrapping or rings to worry about. Baby ghost seems to enjoy it as she naps easily in it. I haven't used it outside the house yet, but thats mostly because she generally stays asleep in her carseat when I'm running errands.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

-

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 28, 2012

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Alterian posted:

That's good to know. I have a long torso unfortunately. I also thought it would be handy to have two in case one gets vomited on or something.

Not a bad idea. I have several types of carriers for similar reasons, plus I prefer the mei tai and my husband prefers the soft structured carrier.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Fixit posted:

I have been lurking on here for a few months while my wife has been pregnant with our first baby. It was smooth sailing till 2 weeks ago. She was just shy of 30 weeks and felt the baby drop and having menstrual cramps. She went to the hospital for fear of having the baby right then. She had some test and was told she was very near having a premature birth (can't recall the test name because all medical talk sounds like gibberish to me). Now she is on bed rest and very unhappy about it.

We got our third and final ultra sound a few days ago and the baby's head is right on her cervix. She says when she stands up she can feel the baby drop a bit. The doctor is monitoring her weekly. Is there anything I should be doing other than making sure she stays in bed and comfortable? Is this fairly normal? I am a little nervous/scared that our kid will be born premature.

From reading the thread I have an idea of what the birthing experience should be like. Any tips on stuff to put in our day packs for the hospital? Right now I just have shampoo, soap, deodorant and a change of clothes for the both of us.

Side note: We do not know the gender because the kid is stubborn and would not open their legs. Wife is already making jokes the kid will be like me. Victory!

Nothing to add to the big medical question besides what you already know, but on the hospital packing front: make sure the clothes you're packing for her are still maternity clothes and/or nursing tops. You don't fit right back into your pre-pregnancy stuff, generally.

-pajamas/nightgown (if the latter, make sure it's a nursing-friendly nightgown, and nothing that she minds getting messed up since there's a heavy period-like flow after birth)
-reading material/sudoku/whatever
-additional toiletries like a razor or whatever else your wife likes to have
-hairbrush
-slippers/socks
-some kind of bathrobe or long sweater for walking around the maternity ward in PJs without feeling weird
-nursing bra and pads

The hospital should provide sanitary pads and special underwear, and some basic toiletries.

Good luck!

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

The hospital should provide sanitary pads and special underwear, and some basic toiletries.

Not all of them. It's a good idea to check with the hospital to see exactly what they will provide. For example, the hospital where I delivered supplied toothbrushes but no toothpaste, and baby diapers but no wipes. Weird, I know.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Daemoxx posted:

Quick question involving looking for work:
At what point is it necessary to divulge to a potential employer that you're pregnant? I have a few interviews coming up (just lost my job, really don't want to be dependent on unemployment) and am not sure where that line falls. I'm 12 weeks in -- hearing that I need leave 6 months out will probably be a dealkiller for most employers, but I don't know at what point I need to actually tell them. Also, if I do get a job somewhere, when and how should I break that news? I imagine even if I start showing, people will assume I'm just fat because of the whole beard thing.

I feel your pain (except for the whole beard thing.) I was 15 weeks pregnant when I interviewed for my job about a year ago. I didn't bring up the fact that I was pregnant during the interview. It took them four weeks to offer me the job and the entire time I was stressing about when/how I should tell them. I was terrified to bring it up during those four weeks for fear they'd just throw out my application (even though it would have been illegal.) I didn't end up telling them until I was officially offered the position. I was very surprised by their response. Total excitement for me!

So you never really know how people will react. I know it's a stressful situation but people may surprise you. What type of job are you going for by the way?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Fixit posted:

Bring quarters for the snack/soda machine. If she's picky about pillows, I'd recommend bringing your own just in case you're in there for a few nights. (you can always leave it in the car and go back for it later). If you have a Boppy pillow, bring that too.

I have a quick question. Is there a way to change a newborn's schedule? Ben seems to have his longest stretch of sleep right after my husband and would normally wake up for the day. Because of this, I don't get any sleep at a normal hour, and end up sleeping the day away during his long naps.

Can I do something to make his longer naps and shorter feedings be at night?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

bamzilla posted:

What do you mean? They just click together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjxcJR18D0 YouTube has a bunch of videos so hopefully that'll help! It helped a bunch with the wrap I use. If you have t-rex arms then you might be sol.

I might be a t-rex, because I can't seem to reach it. It doesn't seem to want to sit behind my neck though, it seems to be more behind my shoulderblades, where it's harder to reach. Maybe I just have it adjusted wrong.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Amelia Song posted:

Baby Bjorns and other baby carriers that sort of slim down at the bottom so that all of the baby's weight is on his crotch and his legs dangle down are not generally well-respected among baby wearers. While the jury is still out as to whether they are unsafe or not for development, it does make sense that a baby would be more comfortable with his legs and butt supported than just to have his weight all on his crotch. Outward facing is also frowned upon by serious baby wearers, as it is too easy for the baby to get overstimulated. Ergos and Becos are the most well known of the more structured carriers, and Moby wraps and other wraps are also great. We use a mei tai a lot too, which is like a structured carrier, except with ties instead of buckles.

I thought I remember you having a carrier for Cece that worked forward facing and still gave her a good seat?

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I'm a big fan of babywearing, and have a variety of carriers. I'm on my own with our baby a LOT with no family within 2000 miles, and I honestly don't know how I'd make do without at least one carrier.

I love woven wraps the most because they're the most comfortable and versatile, but there IS a learning curve which not everybody feels up to tackling. The lingo can be overwhelming at first, but most babywearers are more than happy to talk to you about their carriers and hook you up with some good resources. Depending on where you live, there is probably at least one babywearing group near you that will happily let you see the carriers, and some even have lending libraries of carriers. Thebabywearer.com has a great forum and is a great place to learn about different carriers, especially woven wraps and the more obscure soft structured carriers.

Different structured carriers suit different body types; it's worth trying some out before investing in one. My husband loves our Beco Butterfly II, but it rubs the side of my boobs, which I find irritating, so I almost never use it. Structured carriers do a pretty good job of transferring some of the baby's weight to your hips, which makes it more comfortable than styles where the baby essentially is hanging off of you (like a Bjorn). I don't think this type of carrier is great for the newborn stage because they almost get lost in all the fabric, but many now have an internal harness to try to lift up small babies to mitigate this.

Ring slings can be great, but I think they're tricky to adjust properly when you're someone new to babywearing. The trick is to get the fabric snug across your whole back so that the weight is distributed across your torso, rather than just hanging from your shoulder like a super-heavy bag. Single layer slings work well for awhile, but once my kiddo hit 20 pounds, I found that double layer slings and wrap conversion slings are less diggy on the shoulder. It took me awhile to get the hang of it, but learning to nurse in the sling has been awesome. A good carrier for newborns, if you get it adjusted properly.

I think one of the easiest carriers to learn how to use is a mei tai, like the BabyHawk. Easy to use, easy to adjust for different wearers (unlike a Beco or Ergo), doesn't take up a lot of room in a diaper bag, AND you can use it to put your baby on your back when you're ready. In my experience, structured carriers don't get a baby up high enough; they get frustrated because all they can see is the middle of your back. With a mei tai, you can get them up higher, and once your kid is heavier, a back carry is much more comfortable than having them on your front.

I'm not a big fan of the Moby. I was always WAY too hot (and I had a winter baby in freaking Canada), and despite what the packaging says, it's really only comfortable until around the 15 pound mark. I think it's worth spending a little extra money to get a carrier that will get used for a longer period, and can be safely used in other positions (like the back or hip).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Wearing babies spoils them.