Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

kartracer88f posted:

Got to do some fun coaching and chassis development work this week. Was coaching for ESM Patron with their Ferrari Challenge clients, and did some setup work for them as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN00MJ2HDRQ

So jealous of you. That looks like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I'm jealous of half the people who post in this thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, the guy in the Jag better hope he didn't drop any fluids while his car was actively on fire.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Finally got the video from my enduro uploaded. Sadly, the camera ran outta batteries so I don't have all 2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v368zZYcH9k

Can you tell I'm being super timid? :x

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Joe Mama posted:

I'm jealous of half the people who post in this thread.

Don't be jealous. Get that miata in shape and come join us.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

c355n4 posted:

Can you tell I'm being super timid? :x

Stop yielding to the yellow cars :). Make them (us) fight for it a bit. Or run you off the road.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Don't ever let anyone tell you 24 hour racing isn't hard. We started 21st, made it up to 2nd by hour 7, stayed there for a few hours, but then the rain stopped and the car started having issues, and broke just as the rain returned. If the car hadn't decided to hate us I think we'd have been in with a great shot at third place, instead we retired after 16 hours. Racing is cruel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

drgitlin posted:

Don't ever let anyone tell you 24 hour racing isn't hard.

Who says that?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Don't ever let anyone tell you 24 hour racing isn't hard.

I can't believe anyone who has actually been on a racetrack would believe enduro racing isn't hard.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I really hope we get to do a 24 hour Chumpcar event. Double 7s are too easy :getin:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kimbo305 posted:

Who says that?

Sorry, I'm still sleep deprived.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Comrade Flynn posted:

Not sure if this counts, but got back from the Nurburgring last week. Probably one of the best experiences of my life.

Rented the "Stage 3 Suzuki" which was stripped interior with Recaros and on R888s. Also, it was pink.

Did 6 laps. The first 2 with a client of my company who happens to have done 1000+ laps of the ring. He was a HUGE help; I can't imagine just trying to go out blind. I couldn't stop grinning everytime I realized I was on THE Ring.

I know that feel bro

When I went last year I was smiling more than I'd been in life cumulatively up to that point. Every time we'd just drive right onto the track from the main public road and not go to tech or meetings or swap tires or anything else was just unreal.

How did you like rent4ring and the Suzuki? I went with RSR and the Clio the first day which looks like a similar car. *Great* car to learn the track in, FWD, not too much power but great handling.

Did you know the track already from Gran Turismo/Forza? That helped me immensely.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

At some point, I'm gonna have to get new tires for the Z06. The current F1 Supercar runflats are merely adequate on the track. The other thing that stood out to me during HPDE was how sloppy the seats were. If I were to go to aftermarket seats, with the intent of at most doing track days with the car, is there anything wrong getting reclinable seats? I was looking at something like this:
http://www.soloperformance.com/Corbeau-TRS-Reclining-Seat_p_1347.html

I don't know anything -- I know I probably have to get seat brackets, but I want to what to expect with:
- in-seat airbags
- reversibility
- strength/tradeoffs of reclinable vs fixed back.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're getting seats, you should be getting harnesses as well. Safety is one of those areas that shouldn't have compromise.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You've got a C5Z, right? Are the C6 seats any better / if so, can they be swapped in?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The biggest problem with those seats is that they don't appear to have a hole for sub belts. I'm not sure if there will be a significant improvement in seat feel with just a "racing style" seat and no harness. The side and leg bolstering on there isn't very significant compared to a FIA rated bucket.

vs

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
If you don't have a cage or roll bar I would advise against a fixed-back seat or harnesses. In my opinion its an all-or-nothing package for both passenger AND driver and yes that means it is expensive.

You should be able to find reclining seats that hold you in place better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I swapped the C5 for a C6Z. The C6 Z06 seats are pretttty flat:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/30507878%2Bw786%2Bar1/2011-chevrolet-corvette-z06-interior.jpg

Phone posted:

If you're getting seats, you should be getting harnesses as well. Safety is one of those areas that shouldn't have compromise.

As I see it, safety is not substantially worse than my stock seats with shoulder belt. Yes, there is the loss of airbags.

j3rkstore posted:

That's primarily what I'm looking for -- more hip support than the C6's. Having more bucketing closer to the hip would be good, though. Are these kind of seats (either fixed or reclinable) not compatible with standard belts?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Seats, plural? You guys are such generous hosts.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

j3rkstore posted:

If you don't have a cage or roll bar I would advise against a fixed-back seat or harnesses. In my opinion its an all-or-nothing package for both passenger AND driver and yes that means it is expensive.

Yeah, it's not a good idea to harness yourself nice and immobile in a race seat sans cage, lest your spine become a supplementary B-piller in a rollover.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

j3rkstore posted:

That's retarded and you are being a safety ninny. Do you also believe that SFi belts are totally worthless after 3 years?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Depends on if there's a leap year.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Not if they have a FIA sticker on them too. :v:

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I have heard the Angel Pads work well in the Corvettes to help keep your hips from sliding around. Don't have any first hand experience with them though. It's definitely cheaper than a seat/harness set-up.

http://angelwingstech.com/store/

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

FatCow posted:

The biggest problem with those seats is that they don't appear to have a hole for sub belts. I'm not sure if there will be a significant improvement in seat feel with just a "racing style" seat and no harness.

You don't necessarily need a sub belt. You can get a high quality 4 point belt like a Schroth. I run these Rallye 4's in my track E30 with omg no roll bar.
http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Tuning/rallye/rallye-4

best pic I have with harnesses

To be honest the belts are so tight when you're on the track, the Momo seat doesn't hold me any better than the tore up stock Recaros.

If I were you I would try 4 points with the stock seats and see how you like it.

Octopus Magic posted:

That's retarded and you are being a safety ninny.

this.

edit: found better pic:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

aventari posted:

You don't necessarily need a sub belt. You can get a high quality 4 point belt like a Schroth. I run these Rallye 4's in my track E30 with omg no roll bar.
http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Tuning/rallye/rallye-4

best pic I have with harnesses

To be honest the belts are so tight when you're on the track, the Momo seat doesn't hold me any better than the tore up stock Recaros.

If I were you I would try 4 points with the stock seats and see how you like it.
edit: found better pic:

Get a harness bar or dont run 4 points, that shoulder belt anchor placement is going to injure you.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Not too worried, it's installed exactly according to instructions http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Rallye_3_&_4_Instructions.pdf

Also, those look like they're mounted more vertical than they really are becuase they're sagging.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blk96gt posted:

I have heard the Angel Pads work well in the Corvettes to help keep your hips from sliding around. Don't have any first hand experience with them though. It's definitely cheaper than a seat/harness set-up.

http://angelwingstech.com/store/

Interesting. Maybe I should just make some foam wedges myself.

grover posted:

Yeah, it's not a good idea to harness yourself nice and immobile in a race seat sans cage, lest your spine become a supplementary B-piller in a rollover.

I want to make sure I get this right -- installing an aftermarket seat with existing shoulder+lap belt is not safe? I get that it's not as safe as a rollbar + harness, but, properly installed, is it structurally worse than the stock seat?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I would not be too worried about a fixed back seat with the stock belts assuming they can actually hold you in place, but yes, I would think it is worse than the oem designed safety system, especially if you have side airbags. The aftermarket "street" reclining seats are better with stock belts though because there is actually room for them to go over the seat. A race bucket has really tall sides so the lap belt doesn't work so well.

But yes, if you have harnesses, they should be 5/6-point, and you should have a roll hoop with harness mounts on it.

Harness bars and bolting harnesses into the back seat somewhere is very unsafe if you actually crash the car. I would prefer to be in the stock seat and 3-point to a half-assed harness. If you're worried about sliding around and don't want to put in a roll bar get one of those cg-lock things and a street seat with better bolstering. Pretty much every big seat company makes a variety of good seats that would work. Recaro speeds are pretty popular and I really liked the racetech road seat when I sat in it.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 30, 2012

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

I want to make sure I get this right -- installing an aftermarket seat with existing shoulder+lap belt is not safe? I get that it's not as safe as a rollbar + harness, but, properly installed, is it structurally worse than the stock seat?

I wouldn't call it unsafe but it's not going to be significantly safer or any safer than the OEM configuration. The risk is that with a proper harness and no additional rollover protection you won't be able to lean into the center of the car during a rollover while the outer edges of the car crush.

I still have the DOT seat belts in my car for when I take passengers at autocross events. I'm able to feed the DOT belt in through the holes in the side of the seat and they tighten down even on my skinny rear end. Something to watch out though for is the mounting of your seat belt with an aftermarket seat if your seat belt receiver attaches to the seat or seat rails rather than the chassis. I had to change the mount point of my receivers because they mount to the seat in OEM configuration. I'd try the CG lock, I used one before I went full seats/harnesses and they do work pretty well.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

HPDE bright and early tomorrow morning at Brainerd International (7 AM + 2 hour drive = oogh). This is my second time on a track. The first time I drove one of their Spec Fords, and this time I'm taking up my '07 Z4 coupe. It is going to be cold, with a high of 61, and wet, with rain forecast in the morning and cloudy all day.

Can't wait!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

gently caress yes, night race in a thunderstorm. (Please don't rain)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Well poo poo, that was an amazing day. Up at 4, 2 hours of driving, and finally on the track at 10. This was my first time having an instructor, and it really made a huge difference for me. I'm not yet good enough at heel-toeing to try it on the track, and I'm so used to revmatching on the street that it took an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to slip the clutch on downshifts. My instructor allowed me to go solo after 3 sessions, and the 2 solo sessions I did went well. There was another guy in the beginner group who was driving a GT40. That thing was a blast to get passed by. There was a sixth session that day, but I was getting tired and decided I would rather skip it.

I experienced understeer for the first time, as I apexed too early and too hot into a 90 degree turn. I was going relatively slow, but that really hammered home how easy it is to cause an accident. If you're coming into a turn at full speed and screw up the apex, that means something is going to have to give.

So my big priority for next time (next year) is heel-toe shifting, because my shifts are still super awkward. I will also need to work on throttle control, as I was always flat-out out of corners, and the traction control was kicking in very often.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Starting Tuesday I am doing the three-day high performance course at Mid-Ohio Raceway.

I am an excited man.

Has anyone done the courses there? Anything to expect?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

ColdPie posted:

Well poo poo, that was an amazing day. Up at 4, 2 hours of driving, and finally on the track at 10. This was my first time having an instructor, and it really made a huge difference for me. I'm not yet good enough at heel-toeing to try it on the track, and I'm so used to revmatching on the street that it took an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to slip the clutch on downshifts. My instructor allowed me to go solo after 3 sessions, and the 2 solo sessions I did went well. There was another guy in the beginner group who was driving a GT40. That thing was a blast to get passed by. There was a sixth session that day, but I was getting tired and decided I would rather skip it.

I experienced understeer for the first time, as I apexed too early and too hot into a 90 degree turn. I was going relatively slow, but that really hammered home how easy it is to cause an accident. If you're coming into a turn at full speed and screw up the apex, that means something is going to have to give.

So my big priority for next time (next year) is heel-toe shifting, because my shifts are still super awkward. I will also need to work on throttle control, as I was always flat-out out of corners, and the traction control was kicking in very often.

I wonder if your instructor was one of my team-mates? Guy called Aaron?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

No, I had Chris. Off the top of my head, I don't remember any instructors named Aaron being there yesterday.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Dave Inc. posted:

Starting Tuesday I am doing the three-day high performance course at Mid-Ohio Raceway.

I am an excited man.

Mid-Ohio's an awesome track. The Mid-Ohio School has some impressive faculty, but when I took their 2-day class in 2006 the instructors didn't get in the car with you. So the on-track learning you have to pick up through follow the leader exercises. They do break the track down corner by corner and practice that way before sending you out for open laps, but having an instructor in the car for immediate feedback is more helpful to me. If you're close to MidO, AudiFest does an event there every year around the 4th of July. Keep me posted if you're interested and I'll forward you the application next year.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

DogDodger posted:

Mid-Ohio's an awesome track. The Mid-Ohio School has some impressive faculty, but when I took their 2-day class in 2006 the instructors didn't get in the car with you. So the on-track learning you have to pick up through follow the leader exercises. They do break the track down corner by corner and practice that way before sending you out for open laps, but having an instructor in the car for immediate feedback is more helpful to me. If you're close to MidO, AudiFest does an event there every year around the 4th of July. Keep me posted if you're interested and I'll forward you the application next year.

Odd. If that's still the case I'll probably end up dragging an instructor along with me as much as I can on the third day; apparently it's up to you during the last day's lapping sessions if you want to do lead-follow or have the instructor in the car with you.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

c355n4 posted:

gently caress yes, night race in a thunderstorm. (Please don't rain)

I rained.
A lot.

We had DE drivers for the associated MRF event, so there were lights on the track instead of just on the cars. I believe several dozen lengths of fence and a portable generator/light combo were sacrificed. Other than that, great event, though I think Pocono really needs to fix the transition off of the straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dave Inc. posted:

I am an excited man.

Let us know how you like it, I'm really curious as I'm just up in Medina about 45 minutes away and love the track.