Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I must point out that Dave Witte who plays drums in Municipal Waste also played for Human Remains which is one of my all time favorite bands. They are a bit hard to explain and did kind of a death/grind/almost avant-garde sometimes thing. Definitely worth checking out if you are into really heavy weird but catchy riffs. They were on Relapse Records.

Human Remains - Human: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDScRovM4c

I've yet to hear anything that compares to what they were doing. They left a big impression on me.

Here's the rather ridiculous list of other bands Dave Witte has played for:

Anodyne
Atomsmasher
Birds of Prey
Black Army Jacket
Burnt by the Sun
Candiria
Discordance Axis
East West Blast Test
Exit-13
Hex Machine
Hope Collapse
Human Remains
King Generator
Major Burns
Melt-Banana
Phantomsmasher
Redrum
Municipal Waste
Circle of Animals

edit: I love everything about Human Remains and they are my heroes.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Dave Witte rules, I love Discordance Axis and Human Remains (and Exit-13, but he was in the band very briefly). The drumming is the best thing about Municipal Waste, but the guitarist and vocalist are terrible, which sort of ruins any chance they had of being a decent metal band.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The best part about MW is Landphil and his side projects.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I've loved everything MW has done up until the new album. Massive Aggressive was my favorite release that year! But this new one doesn't seem to work too well. But agreed that they own live and very approachable. Hope to meet Tony again, he's a chill and short dude.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I don't really know anything about them, but I saw Municipal Waste this past spring. They opened a song by shouting "THIS IS A SONG ABOUT A SHAAAARK", and it was. So I think they're pretty cool.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
So I finally got to see Fear Factory live, and the show was great. They left out some "epic" songs I wanted to hear like Pisschrist and Resurrection (not to mention Christploitation with its haunting piano bookends), but the song choices were a good mix of old and new. The opening acts were nothing special, although Hair of the Beast definitely qualifies for Fat Metal.

Also, Maynard from Tool was running the soundboard. He should have brought some of his wine.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

BjornOfBorg posted:

This band may be too proggy to post in the metal thread, but I want everyone to be aware of Heart of Cygnus.

I particularly like their album Under Mountain, Over Hill but I just listened to a song off their upcoming album and it sounds quite good again as well.

http://www.heartofcygnus.com/

A bit late but I really love this, thanks. More like this? Clean vocals are nice sometimes.

fuf fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 24, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I'd like to recommend a band to the metal thread that I just don't hear getting mentioned nearly enough. It's New York's Natur. They're yet another retro old metal act that tips their hats to classic metal similar to Angel Witch and Mercyful Fate in the same vein as modern acts Ghost, Portrait or Christian Mistress. I'm not so sure that they will blow up as big without the exposure, but they did play Fenriz's Live Evil festival. Well, their first full length, Head of Death, came out on Earache Records back in June and I've really been enjoying it with repeat listens. If you like your metal like it was ripped straight out of 1982, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJaLDlTsC2s

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's some good stuff, going to hit up iTunes and hopefully find it when I get home. :D

On the same sort of wave length, check these guys out from Sweden, Helvetets Port, straight up Priest/80's worship. The album is all around pretty good but the first song segues into some weird poppy song than it goes right back into metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFdJ3XAPmSw

These guys are loving dedicated to that image though. They are working on a new album but haven't heard much on Facebook for a while.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I still loving hate the vocals in Helvetets Port, and I doubt anything will ever change that. I know I'm far from alone on that one too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Caught Vektor on their tour last night. Go see 'em, they're really loving good. The vocalist broke a string during the second song so while he was running around getting it replaced the rest of the band played Death's "Scavenger of Human Sorrow", which was fun.

Yeah, I caught Vektor in Lansing and they were absolutely amazing (although now I'm kind of sad I didn't hear them play Scavenger of Human Sorrow). Supporting acts were pretty tolerable too, at least one of them really tore it up. Also the frontman from Manic Outburst is a totally rad dude

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is my favorite song from the Blood and Vomit album from Nattefrost

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The new Ensiferum is streaming online!

http://www.levykauppax.fi/artist/ensiferum/unsung_heroes/

More of the same since Jari left the band!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Defiant Sally posted:

gently caress yes, thanks for this, I haven't been this excited for a new album since Amon Amarth's last. Sounds great so far.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New Ensiferum and possible Wintersun? It's a good year!

I was listening to Wintersuns s/t at the gym today and man, that album still slays -- just so good!

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I was listening to Wintersuns s/t at the gym today and man, that album still slays -- just so good!

Christ, I'll probably get poo poo for this, but am I the only one who thinks Wintersun is just not that great? I mean, they are good, he is good, but it's nothing spectacular.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Houseplant posted:

Christ, I'll probably get poo poo for this, but am I the only one who thinks Wintersun is just not that great? I mean, they are good, he is good, but it's nothing spectacular.

I listened to the Wintersun album like twice and then never bothered again, so not just you. Once in a while when I see a bunch of people in this thread talk about em again, I'll play a song, and about halfway through I give up.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't know, Winter Madness has a pretty loving cool solo, Jari is an immensely talented dude.

Also, the new stuff sounds promising. Here's a minute of new Wintersun music without any context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEqr_QxFm0k

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 25, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

this rules

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Houseplant posted:

I feel exactly the same, I keep meaning to give them another go though. Saw them live at Bloodstock last year and still felt pretty unimpressed.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Houseplant posted:

I get why people like it and all but yeah, I've never felt like it had too much staying power. Same with newer Ensiferfum for that matter. But early Ensiferum when everyone was all one big happy band (Iron and stuff) still owns.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

:aaa: Holy making GBS threads Christ, that intro track is loving gorgeous. Sounds like something co-written by Nobuo Uematsu and Basil Poledouris. gently caress.

Now playing In My Sword I Trust, which I've already heard plenty of times. I understand if a lot of people will find it uninspired and boring, but personally I love it. The orchestrations are bang on, the guitar leads are nice and I like that catchy-if-cheesy chorus. A drat solid Ensiferum track.

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes

Trees and Squids posted:

I don't know, Winter Madness has a pretty loving cool solo, Jari is an immensely talented dude.

Also, the new stuff sounds promising. Here's a minute of new Wintersun music without any context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEqr_QxFm0k

Yeesh, the orchestration is pretty overbearing. Guess Jari had to justify the 15 TB of RAM the record company bought him.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

There is a free Earache: Twenty Five Years compilation album on Amazon right now. Has a few good songs on it.

quote:

1. Seige of Power Napalm Death
2. Suffocation Morbid Angel
3. When Life Has Ceased Entombed
4. Goblin Shark Natur
5. Into the Dead Sky At The Gates
6. Spheres of Madness Decapitated
7. Deny the Cross Hour of 13
8. Homage for Satan Deicide
9. Thrasher Evile
10. Enslaved By Propaganda Terrorizer
11. Like Rats Godflesh
12. The Victorious Reign Hate Eternal
13. High Roller White Wizzard
14. All or Nothing Cauldron
15. Denial of Existence Brutal Truth
16. Inhuman Affliction Oceano
17. Soul Sacrifice Cathedral
18. Bad Year Iron Monkey
19. Leave Me Here Cult Of Luna
20. Mangled Post Burial Cerebral Bore
21. Cenotaph Bolt Thrower
22. Shepherds of Rot Bonded By Blood
23. Holy Mountain Sleep
24. Hollow Ground The Haunted
25. Bloodlust The Browning

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Haggins posted:

There is a free Earache: Twenty Five Years compilation album on Amazon right now. Has a few good songs on it.

Earache: When We Were Actually Worth Something

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Eric Cook, guitarist of Lethal, died of cancer :( This band was simply amazing, they reunited a few years ago and had plans for a new album, but they were quiet for a while until announcing this. "Programmed" is one of my favorite records, it stands out in so many ways, every performance stands out in its own right, and the whole thing has so much feeling in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndifLvsHdYc

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Haggins posted:

Thats a pretty respectable compilation...but who the hell thought it was a good idea to include a goddamn Oceano song?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I notice nobody has posted that Trepalium have a new album out and that it kicks rear end,

Trepalium have a new album out and it kicks rear end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdv-qs6jtR8

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Well, here is a minute of some new Wintersun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9XDXvqTcCY

Maybe another minute in a year?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

Well, here is a minute of some new Wintersun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9XDXvqTcCY

Maybe another minute in a year?
74 more minutes in about a month and a half, seeing how Time I already has a set release date and everything. As in, for real.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Nordick posted:

74 more minutes in about a month and a half, seeing how Time I already has a set release date and everything. As in, for real.

Time I is only 40 minutes long, but yes we will actually be getting some more Wintersun this year.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Slate Action posted:

Time I is only 40 minutes long, but yes we will actually be getting some more Wintersun this year.

Really? drat, I could've sworn I read 75 minutes somewhere. But yeah, that's hardly relevant to my point.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Aesop Dekker's been posting on Facebook about a new band he's playing with:

VHÖL lineup:
Sigrid Sheie (Hammers of Misfortune)
John Cobbett (Hammers, Ludicra)
Mike Scheidt (YOB)
Aesop Dekker (Agalloch, Ludicra, Worm Ouroboros)

I don't know what to expect sound-wise, but the lineup is awesome.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So apparently Matt Barlow and Van Williams are forming a band? Just caught this on twitter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLcOq_ijmKM

The Iced Earth-obsessed 16 year-old in me is loving excited. Matt Barlow owns.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Drifter287 posted:

So apparently Matt Barlow and Van Williams are forming a band? Just caught this on twitter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLcOq_ijmKM

The Iced Earth-obsessed 16 year-old in me is loving excited. Matt Barlow owns.
Better teaser clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N_A1Y7VDxk

I hope the songwriting can match up with the musicianship, because I'm not really excited by either of these so far. The second teaser clip actually kind of reminds me of Into Eternity about two octaves lower.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah the teasers both sound pretty generic, but we'll see. I'm just happy to hear Barlow singing again.

Speaking of Iced Earth, I haven't paid much attention to any of their stuff after that civil war album with Ripper, but I had a good laugh when I googled Freddy Vidales and the second result was "Iced Earth splits with bassist." Never change, Jon Schaffer. Never change.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I can't find the Nightwish thread so I guess I'll post this here - I'm interviewing Tuomas Holopainen, the keyboard player and songwriter on Sunday. If you have anything you want to know, shout at me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Drifter287 posted:

Speaking of Iced Earth, I haven't paid much attention to any of their stuff after that civil war album with Ripper, but I had a good laugh when I googled Freddy Vidales and the second result was "Iced Earth splits with bassist." Never change, Jon Schaffer. Never change.
They've officially had 30 members, which is more than Black Sabbath.

It's still quite a bit short of Yngwie Malmsteen's 50, though.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Drifter287 posted:

I actually put that long-rear end interview on Horror Show on in the background while I was playing some games recently. I thought it was pretty telling when at this point in the band's career he felt like they should have been the biggest metal band.

A personal favorite moment was when he made fun of his guitarist for liking Helloween and Manowar. I laughed because Helloween will be remembered for far longer than Iced Earth will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Misogynist posted:

They've officially had 30 members, which is more than Black Sabbath.

It's still quite a bit short of Yngwie Malmsteen's 50, though.

Riot have had ~25 members, Death have had around 30 members, Acheron are around 35, Yngwie has had somewhere around 45, and Incantation have so many that incomplete lists are pushing 50. Members of Iced Earth have played in all of those bands.