Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Heads up: Leviathan DLC is out, if anyone cares. If anything its release signals us that new MP DLC is right around the corner.

All I'm waiting for is the MP DLC where we get to taste the sweet, sweet power of the Blood Pack Punisher SMG and the Adas Anti-Synthetic Rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Exodee posted:

If the big group consists out of nothing but mid-tier units and below (Hunters, Pyros, Marauders and the like) then yeah you can tank them easily since you're practically immune to them. You can't actually get stunned by enemies (that is, light melee attacks, a Hunter's shotgun blast, or even rockets from Rocket Troopers) during the chain which is what makes it so useful in my opinion.

Yes you can, at least for the enemy melee attacks. I've had it happen multiple times. Unless there's some magic two frames of non-DR between and during each swing of the combo that I keep getting hit in, you're just blowing smoke.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Paracelsus posted:

I unlocked a Talon tonight and took it for a spin on my Fury in place of the usual Guardian-buster Carnifex, and I... wasn't that impressed? It does decent damage per shot, I suppose, but it weighs more, has very little ammo capacity, and that recoil is ridiculous. Maybe it was just colored by the test match consisting of being thrown into a London Reapers game, but I really wasn't feeling it.

For a Fury you can swap the scope for ultralight materials. You have dark channel/throw for range. Also if you load the Talon with an ammo power it will apply the effect nearly every single time. You can then detonate the effect with a throw. Disruptor ammo will have you tech bursting faster than an engineer.

Edit: Also yeah the recoil is nutty with a scope. Fire from cover whenever possible and hipfire at things that are close. Also barrage gear helps immensely with the Talon if you have it unlocked.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 28, 2012

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Felinoid posted:

Yes you can, at least for the enemy melee attacks. I've had it happen multiple times. Unless there's some magic two frames of non-DR between and during each swing of the combo that I keep getting hit in, you're just blowing smoke.
Ah, you're right sorry, I confused getting staggered (with the animation that makes you stumble) with getting stunned. (the thing that stops your movement for a short while, though if this happens during a Charge/melee this sorta gets canceled)
But this honestly hasn't been much of a problem for me unless I miss my targets, since Charge, the Disruptor and the Slayer's melee strikes all stagger enemies in a fairly wide radius.
I also tend to target a different enemy with each strike so that I can keep them all staggered, which causes me to move around a lot and probably causes them to miss me with their melee / rockets.
Edit: Having just tested it, that last part was what made me think it made you immune. Their melee attacks are both rather slow and have a really short range, so I've seen them whiff with their attack quite often. If you just stand there and take it though, you will get knocked out of it.

But like I said, it's merely an extra skill every Slayer has at his disposal, not something that you should build around; If you see a group of Hunters and Pyros coming up in a hallway, you can cut them up with ease. Blindly charging a group of Hunters on an open field with Primes covering them, on the other hand, will get you killed.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 28, 2012

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

quote:

From: Admiral Steven Hackett Re: Operation ALLOY Confidentiality classification: XB-PRIME Distribution: N7 Forces Only

Soldiers of the Milky Way –

It is now common knowledge that Operation ALLOY did not go strictly as planned. Sweeps in what should have been relatively low-risk areas were met with heavy enemy resistance. Fortunately, reports from the field indicate that our troops persevered and were able to strike back. I’ve already been informed of a number of well-deserved promotions. In light of these reports, Operation ALLOY has been deemed a success.

Over the next few days you’ll likely hear many stories about our talented new recruits. I would also like to congratulate the experienced soldiers who fought alongside them. It is under your guidance and leadership that these new recruits excelled. They are now prepared to join our forces on the front lines, and we are all stronger for it.

While we celebrate Operation ALLOY’s success, we need to be aware that the unexpected resistance faced by our soldiers may be symptomatic of a larger issue. We’ve been receiving a number of strange reports that are inconsistent with our knowledge of Reaper ground troop movement. At this point, intel is vague at best. Rest assured we are pursuing the matter.

--Admiral Hackett

Congratulations, Alloy was a big success. For those interested in numbers: PC: 67,573 PS3: 28,398 XBox: 166,778

TOTAL: 262,749!

Reward packs will be granted starting later today.

Haven't seen it posted here yet.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

waah posted:

Haven't seen it posted here yet.

Was the previous operation a failure? I don't remember getting a reward for that one but I met my objectives.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

tadashi posted:

Was the previous operation a failure? I don't remember getting a reward for that one but I met my objectives.
No, it was a success.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

quote:

While we celebrate Operation ALLOY’s success, we need to be aware that the unexpected resistance faced by our soldiers may be symptomatic of a larger issue. We’ve been receiving a number of strange reports that are inconsistent with our knowledge of Reaper ground troop movement. At this point, intel is vague at best. Rest assured we are pursuing the matter.

--Admiral Hackett

:crossarms: That cant not be a refrence to something. Hopefully the next multiplayer DLC.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
New enemies! Thorian creepers and green asari commandos! Collectors, Pirates, indoctrinated hanar tentacle attack!

A wave of thresher maws!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Beach posted:

A wave of thresher maws!

Would charge into them no matter the outcome

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Exodee posted:

Ah, you're right sorry, I confused getting staggered (with the animation that makes you stumble) with getting stunned. (the thing that stops your movement for a short while, though if this happens during a Charge/melee this sorta gets canceled)
But this honestly hasn't been much of a problem for me unless I miss my targets, since Charge, the Disruptor and the Slayer's melee strikes all stagger enemies in a fairly wide radius.
I also tend to target a different enemy with each strike so that I can keep them all staggered, which causes me to move around a lot and probably causes them to miss me with their melee / rockets.
Edit: Having just tested it, that last part was what made me think it made you immune. Their melee attacks are both rather slow and have a really short range, so I've seen them whiff with their attack quite often. If you just stand there and take it though, you will get knocked out of it.

The Slayer's light melee strikes don't have anywhere near as wide a range as Charge or Phase Disruptor (I assume you didn't mean to imply that), and striking different enemies with different strikes within a single combo is patently impossible as it locks you toward a single enemy, or if not an enemy then still into a single direction. You'd have to take a single swing, stop, change direction, take a single swing, stop, change direction, etc. which leaves you DR-less for an unfortunate amount of time. And unless you were doing that you must have been insanely lucky to get whiffed by melee swings. It's not a matter of standing there and taking it, it's a matter of being unable to move during a combo. You're usually locked onto an enemy who isn't moving much (or on occasion swinging into a wall behind the enemy it inexplicably didn't lock onto even though he was right in front of you), and as such you aren't moving much.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 28, 2012

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 28, 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gold and Platinum Difficulties
- Enemy shield/barrier damage gates on weapon damage reduced from 90% to 75%, which means
25% of the remaining weapon damage will pass through to health.

Medigel maximum capacity increased from 5 to 6 due to the success of Operation Alloy

Falcon Assault Rifle
- Encumbrance decreased from [2.0-1.4] to [1.75-1]

Geth Pulse Rifle
- Damage increased from [24.1-30.1] to [27.4-34.2]

Hawk Missile Launcher Power
- Rank 3 damage bonus increased from 20% to 30%
- Evolve 1 shield penalty reduction increased from 15% to 25%
- Evolve 2 damage bonus increased from 30% to 40%
- Evolve 3 missile refire time reduction increased from 25% to 35%
- Evolve 5 damage of split missiles increased from 50% to 75%
- Evolve 6 damage bonus increased from 100% to 150%

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
The buffed KroGuard is so tough I was able to play 4 silver rounds in a Server in Russia- and didn't desync once. The Russian chatter was non-stop, the game a wee bit laggy, but despite all expectations it worked. Why did I stay 4 rounds? Because evidently Russian pubbies are awesome. ABC!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is the "Hawk Missile Launcher Power" the Destroyer's power or something else?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is the "Hawk Missile Launcher Power" the Destroyer's power or something else?

Yeah it's the destroyer power, hopefully they're planning to change the name in the killfeed.

Interesting buff to the Falcon, should make it much more attractive for using with casters for ammo power tech priming.

The change to shield gate also seems like it could be a big deal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pumpking posted:

:crossarms: That cant not be a refrence to something. Hopefully the next multiplayer DLC.

Collectors please!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Lower falcon weight means I am gonna rock it with my Paladin. Hope the cooldown is good.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

waah posted:

Lower falcon weight means I am gonna rock it with my Paladin. Hope the cooldown is good.
Might make it viable on my Drell Adept as well. I really need something to help stunlock phantoms, but I find it hard to give up my Paladin V.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Lagomorphic posted:

The shield gate change is a pretty nice buff for Widow/Javelin Infiltrators. I've got a Black Widow 9 so there's no reason for me to go back, but still...

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Gonna be rocking my Javelin Gethgineer until Isaac knocks out my power

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

It sure is! That change makes single-shot kills through shields possible again, assuming you're sporting the right gear and spec your powers accordingly. That's a huge usability boost to the Widow and Javelin right there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Collectors please!

I want random enemies to become more powerful while you hear THIS HURTS YOU like in Mass Effect 2.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So is the :911: Missile Launcher (yes I know that's an eagle not a hawk shut up) actually worth using now?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

SirViver posted:

It sure is! That change makes single-shot kills through shields possible again, assuming you're sporting the right gear and spec your powers accordingly. That's a huge usability boost to the Widow and Javelin right there.

I haven't run the numbers which is why I said may. Will the single-shot kills require cloak and a headshot then?

VJeff posted:

So is the :911: Missile Launcher (yes I know that's an eagle not a hawk shut up) actually worth using now?

I'll give it a try latter tonight and report back.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Lagomorphic posted:

I haven't run the numbers which is why I said may. Will the single-shot kills require cloak and a headshot then?

Yeah, a cloak and headshot is still needed, for the Widow at least. The Javelin might allow body shots though.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah it's the destroyer power, hopefully they're planning to change the name in the killfeed.

I hope to god they are. It was a rather silly decision not to have it different in the first place.

I'm a little perturbed by the shield gate weakening again. 75% is what it is on Silver, isn't it? The answer to single-shots sucking because of the shield gate isn't to deplete the gate (especially on Platinum, 90% was already fairly low for an "ultimate" difficulty), it's to give some single-shots an advantage against it. Otherwise you're effectively buffing the rest of the weapons too (if by less because they were already less affected). The actual issue remains unaddressed.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
/\ /\ /\ I don't believe the shield gate was ever significant for weapons other than the Widow/Javelin. The semi-autos might see a slight improvement in edge-cases, but otherwise weapon balance stays effectively untouched by that change.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah, a cloak and headshot is still needed, for the Widow at least. The Javelin might allow body shots though.
I doubt body shots will work. The two weakest shielded units - Geth Rocket Trooper and Nemesis - need a damage of 6750 and 6660 respectively to be killed in a single bodyshot. The raw damage of a Javelin X is 1288.1, so you'd need to somehow get a 417-424% effective damage increase, which I don't think is possible without headshots.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 28, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Make Javelin ignore gating on all difficulties, keep gate up where it was. Fixed, Bioware.

Not that I'm gonna complain about them dropping the gate but it's effectively pointless to use such a slow rof weapon on Platinum (more like suicide) and so this only really means I can jav snipe on Geth/Gold/FBW again.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Finally got the Valiant - means I have every weapon unlocked now. Anything special I should know about it, does it have any inherent piercing like the BW?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Eagle II :c00lbutt:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
No/unnoticeable recoil, extremely fast reload speed, good ammo capacity, weight that won't cripple casters too badly, and each shot does ~50% damage that one equivalent level mantis shot would do. Very nasty weapon against non-bosses, but with a piercing mod attached it'll seriously hurt them too.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Felinoid posted:

striking different enemies with different strikes within a single combo is patently impossible as it locks you toward a single enemy, or if not an enemy then still into a single direction. You'd have to take a single swing, stop, change direction, take a single swing, stop, change direction, etc. which leaves you DR-less for an unfortunate amount of time.
Out of curiosity, are you playing on a Console or on the PC? As I have no problem flicking my mouse around, turning 180 degrees within a split second if I have to to acquire new targets. (I have no idea why I keep capitalizing random words :v:)

Edit: Ah, and I meant with each combo/Charge. Sorry, English isn't my native language so I tend to mix up my words here and there. You can get multiple enemies in front of you with your strikes, however, and keep them staggered pretty much indefinitely. However, if you've got a tight cluster of three or if there's a corner nearby, you might miss someone who might come and melee you from the side, so you definitely need some situational awareness to pull it off.
You are holding backwards when charging a new target, right? Else the "cooldown" on your last melee hit takes too long and leaves you vulnerable.
And yes, I have actually been hit by melee attacks and was left unfased (it even shows up on the "you got hit in that direction" overlay), so I'm not entirely sure what's going on here.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 28, 2012

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Just FYI I sent an email to that me3mpcheaters address on some rocket glitching over the weekend and I just got a response from a live human being. They said they can't tell me the result of any investigation but they are looking into it (should be pretty loving obvious when one guy on the team has a 400k score). So they are at least checking the inbox :v:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Hurricane I :getin: Makes up for getting Disruptor Ammo IV in the Commendation Pack

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Eagle V :smith:

Any word on the improved Destroyer Missile Launcher?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Exodee posted:

Out of curiosity, are you playing on a Console or on the PC? As I have no problem flicking my mouse around, turning 180 degrees within a split second if I have to to acquire new targets. (I have no idea why I keep capitalizing random words :v:)

Console aiming is unbelievably slow. I don't understand why this still happens in games, I think CoD is the only game that allows you to turn your sensitivity up to anything approaching reasonable. As it is, turning around 180 degrees on the Xbox is like pulling a U-turn in a battleship.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cyclonic Modulator IV and Valiant III. :whatup:

Synonamess Botch posted:

Console aiming is unbelievably slow. I don't understand why this still happens in games, I think CoD is the only game that allows you to turn your sensitivity up to anything approaching reasonable. As it is, turning around 180 degrees on the Xbox is like pulling a U-turn in a battleship.

Halo is okay about this. You can get your sensitivity to a pretty reasonable level.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 28, 2012

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

surrender posted:

Hurricane I :getin: Makes up for getting Disruptor Ammo IV in the Commendation Pack

Whatup, Hurricane I buddy?

Goddamn this thing on a Turian Soldier with Barrage Gear... 0 loving recoil. Headshots for everyone!

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Synonamess Botch posted:

Yeah, that would make it quite a lot harder to pull off. It's strange that they would limit you like this, since you can set your mouse sensitivity to impractically high levels.

VJeff posted:

Valiant III. :whatup:
Same. :smug:
Too bad I don't really use it anymore though. All my Infiltrators are specced for the Piranha. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Whatup, Hurricane I buddy?

Goddamn this thing on a Turian Soldier with Barrage Gear... 0 loving recoil. Headshots for everyone!
Is that all it takes? I've got the passive stability evolutions, but the Hurricane was still too goofy without Stabilization consumables, and I'll run out of those eventually. I've got Barrage Gear maxed out, so if that's all it takes to keep the Hurricane under control...

• Locked thread