Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Man those baby mushrooms are so adorable, the way they get mad and charge at you and then trip is so cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Stele007 posted:

i7 2600k
Radeon HD 6950
8GB memory, don't remember the clock speed

How much ram does your Radeon have?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

What if I told you there are BIGGER versions of those baby mushrooms?

What if I told you they will obliterate your poo poo right in front of your face?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I could never imagine that a squishy mushroom fist could impart so much force.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

What if I told you there are BIGGER versions of those baby mushrooms?

What if I told you they will obliterate your poo poo right in front of your face?

Oh I know, don't think I haven't experienced the horror when those little baby mushrooms run home and cry to mama.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I find the tree gardeners in the new content more adorable, personally.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Being a noob I have no idea what the gently caress you lot are talking about, I'll just back away slowly.

fake edit: with my shield up.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So at what soul level is it recommended to go back to Undead Asylum?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Maremidon posted:

I find the tree gardeners in the new content more adorable, personally.

I like the area where there's a few of them just trimming trees waiting for you to pick up an item before turning on you.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well gently caress me, I can't beat Sif. Even if I roll into his nose and under the belly one of his huge moves eventually get me. Also doesn't help that all of my weapons deal absolutely dinky damage on him. (40ish at most)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Anti-Hero posted:

Whenever you're ready for it.

The game is completely beatable at SL1.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Anti-Hero posted:

The boss in that location wrecked my poo poo at SL50, so to be perfectly honest I don't know if it matters much. :saddowns:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Where's a guaranteed bow? I suspect I'm going to get my poo poo pushed in by a certain bug until I get one. Would rather buy one than grind against hollow archers

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

redmercer posted:

Where's a guaranteed bow? I suspect I'm going to get my poo poo pushed in by a certain bug until I get one. Would rather buy one than grind against hollow archers

You can buy one from the male undead merchant in the Burg.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

redmercer posted:

In Darkroot Basin, on the corpse where you get the Hunter's starting equipment.

In New Londo, way up on a ledge overlooking Valley of the Drakes, up from the seal.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Well gently caress me, I can't beat Sif. Even if I roll into his nose and under the belly one of his huge moves eventually get me. Also doesn't help that all of my weapons deal absolutely dinky damage on him. (40ish at most)
Sounds to me like you need to do some upgrading. Get a shield with high enough stability to block the double swing. A +5 silver knight shield or something is probably fine, provided you have more than minimal stamina.

Pyromancy works well against Sif, like most things. At the very least that should be an option, no matter what your weapon is. Get underneith him and start combusting.

If you don't like pyromancy, then do some weapon upgrading.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

redmercer posted:

You can find a longbow on a corpse near the bug in the darkroot basin

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

redmercer posted:

Darkroot Garden, off the corpse of Pharis when you pry it from her dead hands.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Sounds to me like you need to do some upgrading. Get a shield with high enough stability to block the double swing. A +5 silver knight shield or something is probably fine, provided you have more than minimal stamina.

Pyromancy works well against Sif, like most things. At the very least that should be an option, no matter what your weapon is. Get underneith him and start combusting.

If you don't like pyromancy, then do some weapon upgrading.

I haven't even done blighttown or anything beyond that really, farming shards is hard. :v
I saw that lightning does quite nice damage though so I probably want to get a good one handed slashing weapon, + it as much as possible and go to town.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Anti-Hero posted:

Do you have a decent bleed weapon (it's really good against the boss)? You'll want a shield with high magic resist. Other than that, you just need to be able to take out a couple Black Knights. I did it around level 30 or so but my main weapon was a katana so the bleed helped a lot.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I haven't even done blighttown or anything beyond that really, farming shards is hard. :v
I saw that lightning does quite nice damage though so I probably want to get a good one handed slashing weapon, + it as much as possible and go to town.
I would keep going with the main quest instead of worrying about sif. Honestly, I rarely do much side stuff until I get the lordvessel. Opening up the giant blacksmith and being able to teleport between bonfires is too important.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How hard is it to run to the Blacksmith in Catacombs?

Or rather, I guess would it matter if I took a +10 Spear and tried to upgrade it? My damage with that thing is not where it needs to be for Sens, yet I want to make it a Fire Spear. Wondering if I boost it to +10 if I'd break my chance of turning it into a Fire Spear, and would have to go Lightning or what.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Oh and I also said no to the cat in the forest by accident, i guess i'm screwed out of the forest covenant right?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Rookersh posted:

Or rather, I guess would it matter if I took a +10 Spear and tried to upgrade it? My damage with that thing is not where it needs to be for Sens, yet I want to make it a Fire Spear. Wondering if I boost it to +10 if I'd break my chance of turning it into a Fire Spear, and would have to go Lightning or what.

Not hard, the hard part is falling to his location without dying.

Just walk off the edges, don't roll off.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Oh and I also said no to the cat in the forest by accident, i guess i'm screwed out of the forest covenant right?

You can talk to a cat in a forest? Well this game is going to be the best I have played since Skyrim. :colbert:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Shima Honnou posted:

Not hard, the hard part is falling to his location without dying.

Just walk off the edges, don't roll off.

Oh really? My method was always to roll a little ways before the edge because if you do it to close you'll hit that weird outcropping and miss.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

You can absolve your sins at the guy below the first bell tower to reset that.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Rookersh posted:

Make sure you activate the shortcut first, saves some time.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Kiggles posted:

Looking forward to some of this, but I had enormous amounts of fun the other day, as unproductive as it was, invading other players in an attempt to infect them with the egg head worm, and suck humanities. I did get three or four infections. Not so many humanities (0 from players. ALL humanities from dark hand were courtesy of Solaire summons).

Basically, just trying to be a dick, without enormously setting people backward.

Did you actually infect them or just hit them with the maggot attack? I tried forever to do it even with chaos servant +3 but I don't think I ever actually infected anyone

Plus, I'd argue that infecting them sets them back more than anything else, since the drat thing sucks half your souls. All the more reason to do it to newbies in the burg :twisted:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Holy Cheese posted:

You can talk to a cat in a forest? Well this game is going to be the best I have played since Skyrim. :colbert:

The best part about being new at this game is that the stuff people talk about sounds like the craziest, made up, uncle at Nintendo, I-saved-Aeris bullshit. Like a lot of people will go through the game missing three entire zones, four if you count the Asylum, so when people talk about hitting some random loving wall in the rear end-end of some completely out of the way area, or jumping onto what looks like a random outcropping that in any other game wouldn't even have solid geometry, the mind just boggles.
As well as all the people going "well I rang the second bell, I guess I'm at the end game now? How much can there be left of this game now"

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Okay, New Londo has no bonfires, got it. What's the best place to bind to make the excruciatingly tedious run back less awful?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Question regarding the Parish which might be spoilery even to those that cleared that place. Near the pedestal were you get the Firelink Soul, to the left, I have seen a message saying something about an illusory wall. Is someone just being full of crap, or is there something to it? Also, something weird attacked me near that spot, something that shot multiple small lasers at me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Blattdorf posted:

Question regarding the Parish which might be spoilery even to those that cleared that place. Near the pedestal were you get the Firelink Soul, to the left, I have seen a message saying something about an illusory wall. Is someone just being full of crap, or is there something to it? Also, something weird attacked me near that spot, something that shot multiple small lasers at me.

I'm pretty sure this is just one of those times where someone leaves a bullshit message. No idea about the second thing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Rookersh posted:

You'd be better off cheesing through Sen's and getting a weapon from there that will remove the need for that conversion entirely. If I remember correctly you can get to it without needing to face more than a few lizard dudes and you can also kill the mimic by luring it into the path of the boulders as it'll probably instakill you with its grab attack otherwise.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
If I quit the game, will I lose the blood stain with all my poo poo?

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
I'm playing a high endurance (tank) type character and I just rang the second bell. I'm still using the hollow shield though and I know I should have moved on by now, so what's a good shield to use post-Blight Town?

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

woodenchicken posted:

I just rage quit yesterday after being invaded and I am happy to report that it does not disappear :)

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Like Powerful Two-Hander said, you might be better off running through about half of Sen's first.

Mooks
Apr 18, 2007

Well! What is it!

woodenchicken posted:

No, it'll be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Nalk posted:

I'm playing a high endurance (tank) type character and I just rang the second bell. I'm still using the hollow shield though and I know I should have moved on by now, so what's a good shield to use post-Blight Town?
Keep going to Anor Londo, kill silver knights until you get a shield, upgrade and wear said shield. Hollow soldier should last you until then.

Better shields don't really come along until you have 30+ strength, and those shields are extremely heavy.

• Locked thread