Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Synonamess Botch posted:

Console aiming is unbelievably slow. I don't understand why this still happens in games, I think CoD is the only game that allows you to turn your sensitivity up to anything approaching reasonable. As it is, turning around 180 degrees on the Xbox is like pulling a U-turn in a battleship.

I can't understand this either; you should be able to set not only the sensitivity but also the contrast between near-center of the stick movement and how fast it moves when pushed to the edge, which would allow everyone to work, no matter their sensitivity preferences. Right now it seems like devs are afraid of having sensitivity be too high for the average person or something, so even if you raise sensitivity to unplayable levels for fine aiming you still can't do 180s very quickly at all. It doesn't need to be an instant flip but you should be able to at least turn around as fast as a normal human could.

If there's a PC version of a shooter I always go for that because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is the game unplayable buggy for anyone else today? Two disconnections out of two games (both before wave 4) and two games that flat-out refused to let me join by sticking me on the loading screen for 5+ minutes until I task manager-ed out.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Exodee posted:

Yeah, that would make it quite a lot harder to pull off. It's strange that they would limit you like this, since you can set your mouse sensitivity to impractically high levels.

Same. :smug:
Too bad I don't really use it anymore though. All my Infiltrators are specced for the Piranha. :v:

I tried the Valiant on my Destroyer a couple nights ago and was pleasantly surprised. But I could use any gun with that fucker and be pleasantly surprised. :v:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hyperactive posted:

Is that all it takes? I've got the passive stability evolutions, but the Hurricane was still too goofy without Stabilization consumables, and I'll run out of those eventually. I've got Barrage Gear maxed out, so if that's all it takes to keep the Hurricane under control...

Yeah, a maxed out Barrage Gear gives as much stabilization as a level 3 amp.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

VJeff posted:

I tried the Valiant on my Destroyer a couple nights ago and was pleasantly surprised. But I could use any gun with that fucker and be pleasantly surprised. :v:
How much ammo does the Valiant get if you have Destroyer Mode activated? I can't believe I haven't thought of that before.

Also I tried using the Eagle on the Destroyer but it was still quite lackluster. :v:

vvv I've had the "hang on opening Commendation/Victory pack" as well, but restarting the game fixed it for me.
The Crusader should be fairly decent, since they buffed it recently. Still way too heavy for my tastes, though. Come to think of it, a Destroyer might make a good Crusader user...

Exodee fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 28, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is the game unplayable buggy for anyone else today? Two disconnections out of two games (both before wave 4) and two games that flat-out refused to let me join by sticking me on the loading screen for 5+ minutes until I task manager-ed out.

Both my Victory and Commendation Pack hung for a minute or so before losing connection and kicking me out to the title screen. Reconnecting then immediately gave me the contents each time. Cyclonic modulator IV :smithicide: and N7 Crusader :pcgaming:

Joined a game in wave 1 to try out the Crusader with my recently-unlocked Carnifex and got a disconnect during wave 3, so yeah something is borked up right now. Possibly all the people redeeming everything from the event. It's annoying because I want to try out all the things I unlocked while I'm on my second big string of luck; I want to get a Shadow before it ends and I go back to getting Shuriken upgrades.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Exodee posted:

How much ammo does the Valiant get if you have Destroyer Mode activated? I can't believe I haven't thought of that before.

Also I tried using the Eagle on the Destroyer but it was still quite lackluster. :v:

Four shots per clip, I am relatively certain. Don't remember how many clips. The extra shot was pretty nice actually. There's not a whole lot in Gold that can tank four Valiant shots in a row. Not to mention the basically nonexistent reload.

Then again, honestly, the Talon w/Scope+Piercing may do that job just as well, if not better.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I didn't even remember that the Hurricane has recoil to be honest. Really you get used to dragging the mouse downwards while firing pretty quickly.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

VJeff posted:

Four shots per clip, I am relatively certain. Don't remember how many clips. The extra shot was pretty nice actually. There's not a whole lot in Gold that can tank four Valiant shots in a row. Not to mention the basically nonexistent reload.

Then again, honestly, the Talon w/Scope+Piercing may do that job just as well, if not better.
Four shots is pretty decent, yeah. Especially with the ROF bonus on Devastator mode. And I dunno, the Talon and Valiant fulfill fairly different roles, don't they? Although I guess the Devastator's accuracy bonus would make the Talon fairly competitive for sniping.

Mr Dog posted:

I didn't even remember that the Hurricane has recoil to be honest. Really you get used to dragging the mouse downwards while firing pretty quickly.
It only has a lot of recoil when you're aiming down the sights while not in cover. Otherwise it's quite manageable, yeah.

vvv Have you tried restarting the game? That fixed it for me, at least.
Edit: Not the Eagle, of course, but the sluggish store thing. :downs:

Exodee fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 28, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Just what I always wanted! :downs:

Also, it seems that everytime I get any pack from the ingame store now, the game disconnects me from the multiplayer (after a frustratingly long "please wait" session of course) and tosses me back into the main menu, where I again have to wait while the game "checks downloadable content" for half a minute. Joy.

EDIT: It already did this to me a few days ago when I played last, and now with both the victory and commendation pack, plus a recruit pack I got for testing purposes.
EDIT2: ^ No I didn't, since both times the problem has occurred I haven't intended to keep playing for the moment anyway.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 28, 2012

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh yeah, I noticed something in a G/G/W game yesterday night. When you aim and fire from a standing position with the Typhoon or another recoil-heavy weapon, the recoil gets nuts, obviously. When I aimed from cover, it got better, but it was still kinda crazy.

But when I just held down the fire button while in cover, it did insane damage and the recoil was almost completely mitigated. What's up with that?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

VJeff posted:

Oh yeah, I noticed something in a G/G/W game yesterday night. When you aim and fire from a standing position with the Typhoon or another recoil-heavy weapon, the recoil gets nuts, obviously. When I aimed from cover, it got better, but it was still kinda crazy.

But when I just held down the fire button while in cover, it did insane damage and the recoil was almost completely mitigated. What's up with that?
Do you mean "blindfiring"? It surprises me how few people know about this. Makes firing the Hurricane a cinch as well, and it greatly reduces return fire.
For some reason, if you do this with the Harrier (and I guess the Mattock if you can click fast enough) its shots will go all over the place, so it doesn't work as well with every weapon.

Edit: It seems the servers are pretty unstable at the moment. I just got booted from a game.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 28, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Eagle III. They really want to keep me balanced, what with the Hurricane III, Valiant II, and Crusader IV.

Exodee posted:

You are holding backwards when charging a new target, right? Else the "cooldown" on your last melee hit takes too long and leaves you vulnerable.
And yes, I have actually been hit by melee attacks and was left unfased (it even shows up on the "you got hit in that direction" overlay), so I'm not entirely sure what's going on here.

Though I'm not sure what difference holding down S (I am on PC) would make, yes, I am usually instinctively trying to back away when tapping Charge. But the problem isn't there, it's when I'm in the middle of the three-tap, four-slash light melee combo. I'll be in the middle of a combo, my sword inside a Pyro's face, and suddenly I'm stumbling from a Hunter. If you're saying you're just fine when that happens, I have no idea what's going on either. :iiam:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

You have almost the exact same Commendation weapons as I have, except the Eagle and Crusader are swapped around. :v:

Felinoid posted:

Though I'm not sure what difference holding down S (I am on PC) would make, yes, I am usually instinctively trying to back away when tapping Charge. But the problem isn't there, it's when I'm in the middle of the three-tap, four-slash light melee combo. I'll be in the middle of a combo, my sword inside a Pyro's face, and suddenly I'm stumbling from a Hunter. If you're saying you're just fine when that happens, I have no idea what's going on either. :iiam:
If you don't hold backwards there will be a bit of a delay before you can charge your next target after your final melee hit. If you do hold it though, then you can Charge seamlessly without leaving an opening. This is true for other Vanguards as well, but it's especially important for the Slayer.

But it's funny, Hunters and Pyros haven't been able to stagger me so far, and I've seen Rocket Troopers try to melee me in the back without fazing me. Even their rockets tend to fly right through me if I'm in the middle of a combo, though if I charge a group of, like 4 regular Troopers then yeah, usually one won't get staggered by you and will knock you right out of it.
Maybe you only get staggered if you get hit in the front/back? Would be kinda counter-intuitive but hey, it's Bioware.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Exodee posted:

If you don't hold backwards there will be a bit of a delay before you can charge your next target after your final melee hit. If you do hold it though, then you can Charge seamlessly without leaving an opening. This is true for other Vanguards as well, but it's especially important for the Slayer.

Weird. I've never noticed that with any vanguard, even my Kroguard, which I would think I'd be pressing forward more on. Maybe I'm just doing it subconsciously.

Exodee posted:

But it's funny, Hunters and Pyros haven't been able to stagger me so far, and I've seen Rocket Troopers try to melee me in the back without fazing me. Even their rockets tend to fly right through me if I'm in the middle of a combo, though if I charge a group of, like 4 regular Troopers then yeah, usually one won't get staggered by you and will knock you right out of it.
Maybe you only get staggered if you get hit in the front/back? Would be kinda counter-intuitive but hey, it's Bioware.

Yeah, certainly never got staggered by a Pyro, as they're incapable of it, but getting punched in the back by a Hunter always seems to do the trick. If there is a front/back difference though, that could explain the disconnect.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Weird. I've never noticed that with any vanguard, even my Kroguard, which I would think I'd be pressing forward more on. Maybe I'm just doing it subconsciously.
It's fairly easy to notice, actually. If you do a 3 hit combo and then try to Charge normally, you'll notice that your character will first try to sheathe his sword before Charging. On the other hand, holding S and Charging cancels that animation. Same with the Krogan's heavy melee, I think.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Did the victory pack contain anything useful? I redeemed it but it got stuck trying to open the pack forever and I had to alt+F4 out. When I came back it was gone from the store but I didn't notice anything new so I'm assuming it was just junk like equipment? I haven't actually played in a while but it seemed to take ages to connect to the server and load too.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Did the victory pack contain anything useful? I redeemed it but it got stuck trying to open the pack forever and I had to alt+F4 out. When I came back it was gone from the store but I didn't notice anything new so I'm assuming it was just junk like equipment? I haven't actually played in a while but it seemed to take ages to connect to the server and load too.

The best thing in there for me was +5 missiles. I suppose if you really like the level IV consumables then yippee, have another one, but otherwise it's rather meh.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Did the victory pack contain anything useful? I redeemed it but it got stuck trying to open the pack forever and I had to alt+F4 out.
I think there was a gold wargear for me in there, although I had to alt-F4 as well so I'm not entirely sure. But yeah, don't Victory packs come with a guaranteed gold card nowadays? I've even heard some people getting ultra-rares out of them.

Edit: vvv Ah yeah, now I remember, I had a level IV ammo consumable. :downs: I guess it would've been a gold class card, then.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 29, 2012

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
A bioware guy on BSN made it sound like they all had a Lv IV consumable in them.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I want to get a Shadow before it ends and I go back to getting Shuriken upgrades.

This is why it's a good idea to stick to Recruit Packs until you have all the Commons maxed, then Veteran Packs until you have all the Uncommons maxed. :eng101:

It's not what I did, but I should have. :eng99:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Got Warp Rounds IV and a Valiant II.

All I want is a Hurricane D:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Doc Dee posted:

This is why it's a good idea to stick to Recruit Packs until you have all the Commons maxed, then Veteran Packs until you have all the Uncommons maxed. :eng101:

It's not what I did, but I should have. :eng99:

Getting recruit packs until those are maxed is a good idea, because it's really cheap and quick, but holding to veteran packs until all the uncommons are maxed is a recipe for getting bored and quitting. You'll want to do it as much as you can, but you gotta mix it up to keep the rewards fresh.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Felinoid posted:

Getting recruit packs until those are maxed is a good idea, because it's really cheap and quick, but holding to veteran packs until all the uncommons are maxed is a recipe for getting bored and quitting. You'll want to do it as much as you can, but you gotta mix it up to keep the rewards fresh.

I went back to spamming veteran packs after getting a few rares to X because some guy on BSN made fun of my manifest :( To that effect it took about two days to get all my uncommons maxed. It's not too hard but it's worth it

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Eagle V! Welp, I guess it just makes it a deadlier automatic pistol? Sure wish they'd make a stabilization mod for it like they did with the SMGs.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TacticalGranny posted:

I got a Hurricane II :mad:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Hurricane is now my least-advanced promo weapon despite being the first one I got. I was using it before it was cool!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I got a Hurricane II :)

I still can't get over how great the Slayer is. I was tanking a clump of four Phantoms on Gold like it was no big deal. Welcome to the bizarro reality where a Nemesis is actually a meaningful threat and a Phantom isn't.

(ok so I kinda got gutstabbed by the last Phantom as I was about to kill it but that doesn't usually happen)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Now I can't really complain since I just got a Destroyer the night before, but Crusader VI? Seriously? :c00lbutt:

I don't have a Typhoon yet, what's a good alternate for the Destroyer? Revenant X?

VVVV I have a particle rifle II, about to try that one out.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 29, 2012

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Bastard Tetris posted:

Now I can't really complain since I just got a Destroyer the night before, but Crusader VI? Seriously? :c00lbutt:

I don't have a Typhoon yet, what's a good alternate for the Destroyer? Revenant X?

I would say use the Revenant X or the Particle Rifle if you've got one. Right now the Typhoon is bugged like crazy with certain weapon mods and just has too many drawbacks (but it is cool as hell).

Mr PMS
Jun 28, 2010
Eagle VI

Well, looks like I just took the lead for first person to reach Eagle X

:shepicide:

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

TacticalGranny posted:

I got Warp Rounds IV...

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Valiant Is? We have dismissed those claims.

Mr PMS posted:

Eagle VI

Well, looks like I just took the lead for first person to reach Eagle X

Eagle V here. Wanna race?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Armor Piercing Rounds IV in the Victory Pack

N7 Eagle I in the Commendation Pack :shepicide:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Got a Hurricane, but man does that thing ever give you recoil. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it even on a Destroyer.

Speaking of the Destroyer, I tried the Talon out on it, and while it worked a bit better the damage seemed rather inconsistent. Sometimes it took off 3/4 of an enemy's health, sometimes it barely damaged them at all (and yes the enemy was in the middle of the circle, I'm not counting obvious whiffs).

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I'm joining the Valiant I club this operation. I'm trying to find something heavy-hitting and decently ranged to complement the Reegar on my Demolisher for when something is beyond grenade-n'-zap range. Is the Valiant worth it (with a piercing mod, right?)? Or should I just go back to my Black Widow I?

Did anyone not get a IV ammo card in their Victory pack?

Paracelsus posted:

Got a Hurricane, but man does that thing ever give you recoil. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it even on a Destroyer.
Don't aim and things will go so much better.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
^^^ I got a cyclonic mod IV

The RNG giveth and taketh away. After getting an eagle II earlier I now have a talon. Time to see what all the fuss is about.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Bad things happen when I use promotional weapons.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You guys and just posting "oh hey I got a Valiant X! Look at my Hurricane VI!"

yeah, screw you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RGJrrq9yw

I post this in solidarity with all my space-bros, Pumpking, KnoxZone, Felinoid, Wampus42, Hyperactive, Xad, and extra special shoutout to Mr PMS

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

As bugs go, at least that one was interesting to look at. Also, you took that rocket to the face like a champ. Is there a :garrus: emoticon? If there isn't, there should be.

• Locked thread